• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ad-hoc Party Beta thread (compatibility better than expected!)

DMeisterJ

Banned
So how does it work?

You download it, and your PSP and PS3 communicate wirelessly, I get that, but how does it work in Gameplay? If a game (say MHP2G) has ad-hoc, it just turns to infrastructure? Like in MHP, when you wanna play ad-hoc with someone, you have to go into the online gathering hall. So once you go in there, are people just in there waiting or what?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Metalmurphy said:
That's really odd. When using remote play on the PS3 I can choose to connect directly to the PS3 or trough my router, if I connect directly I still have access to PSN so it's connecting both to the router and the PSP wirelessly.
This - you can, in fact play online games while using local-connect remote-play over wireless, which should make the network conditions identical to what Ad-Hoc party is supposed to be doing.

Flek

Banned
someone who has played with it online already please explain it.

going online with ps3, entering a loby, creating a room, chatting etc. Its no problem. But how do you "connect" the psp to the ps3 to get the psp logo (so that you know its "connectet" ) ??

Guymelef

I open Macross Network option and then go to Ad-hoc Party Beta third option, it dettects my PSP but i don't know what to do after that.

going online with ps3, entering a loby, creating a room, chatting etc. Its no problem.

How?

Ad-hoc Party Beta second option gives me some kind of message.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Can more than one PSP connect to the PS3?

This was possible in Kai, by allowing the 2nd PSP to connect to the 1st via adhoc. 1st would "daisy-chain" the connection(has to host of course) and the end result is that 2 or 3 PSPs could hop online with just one access point.

Flek

Banned
Guymelef said:
I open Macross Network option and then go to Ad-hoc Party Beta third option, it dettects my PSP but i don't know what to do after that.

How?

first option, you need to press O to confirm not X its japan after all xD

zaxor0

Wollan said:
An application you download from the PS3 PS Store.

It let's the PS3 function as a gateway turning Local Wi-fi Only PSP games into true online games.

Basically it fools the PSP into believing there are other PSP gamers around you, the info being sent across the internet between the PS3's.

It's a tunneling service. And you can also use a Bluetooth headset to speak with your opponents.

Isn't this similar to xlink kai? I have only used it for ps2, but I think it works the same way for psp.

RpgN

Flek said:
someone who has played with it online already please explain it.

going online with ps3, entering a loby, creating a room, chatting etc. Its no problem. But how do you "connect" the psp to the ps3 to get the psp logo (so that you know its "connectet" ) ??

First you select the third option in the menu called adhoc. Your psp must be on with game that is wireless. Your ps3 will detect the psp from the menu. From what understand you use the lobbies just to connect to the internet, the other players in the lobby are not online in your game. I'm not sure how I invite them, but I think I went online with MH1. I went to the game and selected online hall (was it available before?), sent a notice to gather players for a quest. Ps. if you're trying the lobby now, how about we meet each other?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Wollan said:
An application you download from the PS3 PS Store.

It let's the PS3 function as a gateway turning Local Wi-fi Only PSP games into true online games.

Basically it fools the PSP into believing there are other PSP gamers around you, the info being sent across the internet between the PS3's.

It's a tunneling service. And you can also use a Bluetooth headset to speak with your opponents.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

duckroll said:
Maybe it'll work somewhere down the line. I'm really surprised how many titles are supposedly working well without being officially compatible, so it's a good sign so far.

Perhaps there will be some kind of adapter?

sammy

Icarus said:
This is much needed. Cant' wait for it to come Westward.

yea, is there any word on this? i'm needing an excuse to dig out MHF2nd and finish the Akantor with some folks

I'm sitting in a created room for Gundam Battle Universe, and so far I haven't gotten any visitors. I've joined some other rooms, but I haven't actually PLAYED online yet... The strange thing is a lot of people just idle in the lobby.

linsivvi

zaxor0 said:
Isn't this similar to xlink kai? I have only used it for ps2, but I think it works the same way for psp.

I have been wondering about this. I understand why Sony is using the PS3 to help the sales of both PSP and PS3, but if they wish, they could probably make this software available on the PC, will similar results.

RpgN

Flek and I thought it was a good idea to make a video about the whole process. How to get online with your psp. Well actually, Flek came up with the idea, but I agreed. Sooo...

First of all, a few important tidbits. You can't play online with all the versions of a psp game, with that, you can't play Tekken Japanese version with an American version. You have to have the same version. EU-EU, US-US etc. We tried Tales of the World to trade items. Well, we could have tried multiplayer but Flek wasn't far enough in the game to enable the option :D According to the manual (on the Japanese Ad-hoc party) only Japanese players can play with each other. Technically that's true, but if you have a Japanese copy too you can join the fun with Japanese players. Hopefully when we get our version in the US and EU, Sony will send an update for compatibility with all versions, though I doubt that.

Anyway, all players must do the same steps on the video except for one thing, hosting a room in a lobby. In a lobby players can send text messages, have a voice chat and even use a playstation eye. 4 people can join max. On a lobby you can only send text messages and the total of 32 people can stand in one lobby.

So, follow the steps. Get your psp on with the game that you want to play, connect to multiplayer on your game. Let the psp search for players and leave it that way. Then select the third option on ad-hoc party called ad-hoc (on the ps3). The ps3 will find your psp and then select okay. Go to a lobby where you and your friends planned to meet each other. Like Lobby A, number 1. And then one of you has to host a room. Once everyone is in and a few seconds have passed, your psp fill find names of the players that are in your lobby and voila!

I suggest we make a thread, to meet each other online and post all the players from which region they are. I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so tell me what you think.

And a big thanks to Flek who made the video (so you see everything in his point of view) and coming up with the idea.

Enjoy playing online lads.

tzare

Ninja Kn1ght said:
FFT! Fuck my wireless connection!!

ethernet wifi adaptor FTW

F-CL-WBR54.jpg

RpgN

Nuclear Muffin said:
The question isn't does it work, it should be how well does it work. Impressions please!

It works fine really. Just like offline multipayer modes but in online. I like how you can chat and do many things on the big screen.

Cruzader

Banned
Defuser said:
hmmm,I downloaded it and basically don't how to get it work. I'm at loss here.

EDIT: Wait what? It needs to be wired? Fuck you Sony. Thanks for limiting your user base assholes.

Wait ppls are complaining already?! Amazing!

"oh wait I need a PSP, Fuck you Sony" :lol :lol :lol

If some of you cant get an ethernet cable, then you fail at life, seriously. They're cheap and it aint like the PS3 was, so if you can afford an HD console, go get a damn cable.

With that said, Will try it out but only have US PSP games so dont know if they will work since App is JPNs. Props for Sony on getting BT/Headsets working with this.

RpgN

Cruzader said:
With that said, Will try it out but only have US PSP games so dont know if they will work since App is JPNs. Props for Sony on getting BT/Headsets working with this.

It will work, just make sure the people in your room have US copy of the games too. That's why I suggested to make a meet up thread.

xero273

Cruzader said:
Wait ppls are complaining already?! Amazing!

"oh wait I need a PSP, Fuck you Sony" :lol :lol :lol

If some of you cant get an ethernet cable, then you fail at life, seriously. They're cheap and it aint like the PS3 was, so if you can afford an HD console, go get a damn cable.

Some people have the router in a place where it would take a lot of time to get it wired.

RpgN

Flek said:
maybe we should but acording to this thread there arent that many peoble actually interestet in it :/

True, maybe we should wait until ad-hoc party is released in all the regions first.

RpgN said:
It works fine really. Just like offline multipayer modes but in online. I like how you can chat and do many things on the big screen.

Really, no noticeable lag? If so that's pretty damn impressive! :D

RpgN

Nuclear Muffin said:
Really, no noticeable lag? If so that's pretty damn impressive! :D

Well, I've just tried a trade items option and not really play together with someone. It wouldn't give a good indication about lag, right? Hopefully I'll try multiplayer with Flek soon.

RpgN

Guymelef said:
Noy i need people for try online play.
anyone with Street Fighter Alpha 3 PAL or USA?

I have the game pal and unopened. I might open it just now for you. What's your id?

RpgN

Those were really fun 3 rounds. Street Fighter 3 looks interesting. I should train for the next time! Thanks :)

As for lag, I've seen only minor one. Very impressive for a fighting game.

Tiktaalik said:
Wow this sounds insanely awesome.

It is. It opens a whole new opportunity for all kinds of games.

Top Bottom