• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2016 |OT| Essendon moving to Egpyt, to be closer to supporter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

IwWNG10.png

Starting this thread early because of all of the Essendon news. The NAB Challenge (the AFL's pre-season comp) begins on Thursday February 18.

The first round of the official 2016 Premiership Season isn't until the end of March and is again a single weekend round, with the first game (Richmond vs. Carlton) on Thursday March 24.

Important Links / Notes

2016 Season Fixtures
2016 NAB Challenge Fixture (PDF)

Season 2016 Fixture (PDF)

Highlights Videos
The Wash-Up - 2015 Analysis & Highlights packages for all 18 teams
The 10 - 2015 Highlights packages for (almost) every round
Highlights of the 2015 AFL Grand Final
Bloopers of the 2015 AFL Season
A highlights video of the past 10 or so years for those of you who are new to the game

AFL-GAFFERS:
GAF Supporter List:

Adelaide Crows - tri_willy, Dommo, deadmeadow88, Galdun, Mr_Moogle, chicko1983, H.Protagonist
Brisbane Lions - Grug
Carlton Blues - oipic, speedpop, maladroid, Macready1306, Brian★, P. Fembot
Collingwood Magpies - Dead Man, El'Kharn, Satchel, Jables Swan, bobnowhere, Collingwood
Essendon Bombers - theb0xmIke, Jezabel, HolyCheck, Ingram, Westlo, Shancake, RandomVince
Fremantle Dockers - what's in a name, freoleo29
Geelong Cats - Andiie
Gold Coast Suns -
GWS Giants - BanShunsaku
Hawthorn Hawks - Grassy, Here For The Free Feed, Kaze Kyou
Melbourne Demons - KAP151
North Melbourne Kangaroos- guidop, Jebus, Bishop89
Port Adelaide Power - jambo, fisheyes, Ningo, Juicy Bob, reptilescorpio, Chaosmidas, Dryk, Marky Mark
Richmond Tigers - a posh hammer, Ozzy Onya A2Z, Cruncho
St Kilda Saints - Ydahs, Pachael, Scullibuno
Sydney Swans- Rezbit, legend166, iSimon
West Coast Eagles - FGMPR, midonnay, Kerrby, cr_blah_blah, Nickovic, aDDiKt24, VOOK, Raad, Oxirane, AnkhWeasel, Worthintendo
Western Bulldogs - Major_Lazer, mrpookles

GAF AFL TIPPING LEAGUE:
egFlqY0m.jpg

http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/believe
Password is legend166

GAF AFL DREAM TEAM:
http://fantasy.afl.com.au/
Are we going to do this in 2016? You decide.
Also, don't forget about Ydahs' great http://dream-stats.com/ site for all your Dream Team / Supercoach needs

Relive all the fun/drama of the AFL 2015 OT

Thanks to fisheyes, Grug and Ydahs, I used a few bits from the previous threads for this one (up to and including this very line)

c3pnXaeh.jpg

Let's go Giants.

Hoping Stevie J up forward will help out Jezza and General Patton this year.

Will be interesting to see how old mate Sunshine McCarthy goes
in the magoos

If we make the top 8 this year I'll be pretty happy.

Yagharek

Request for someone to quote the section in the wada report about test results rather than in the other thread. Only have mobile access today so quotes in full would be very much appreciated unless it's axeman or legend gloating.

Jezabel

Jesus I feel like crap about this Essendon stuff, another year down the drain. I didn't have the highest hopes for this year but now...

West Coast fan here, hoping to see them grab the flag this year after surprising everyone and making it to the Grand Final.

If not them I hope Freo can do it this year, I think this is going to be their last chance for a while, their side isn't getting any younger and with greats like Pav and Sandi's most likely not playing next year I would like for them to get there.

AxeMan

Request for someone to quote the section in the wada report about test results rather than in the other thread. Only have mobile access today so quotes in full would be very much appreciated unless it's axeman or legend gloating.

I'm not all bad.

WADA said in Point 82
An analysis of urine samples collected from the Players in 2012 also confirmed that the Players were injected with TB-4

The players lawyers say that WADA can't prove that in point 85
Evidence of testing or analyses of any substances is incapable of proving that GL Biochem, in fact, supplied TB-4 to Mr. Charter, or that, even if it did, TB-4 was administered to the Players by Mr. Dank.

Then there is a bit about not having to have a positive test to be guilty as well. Then the case goes on about 'Strands in a Cable', and one of those strands is this
Point 120 (iii)
All Players had blood tests before the administration of the injections commenced, an exercise recommended for peptides like TB-4, and for which no purpose other than a 'sinister' one......
point 120 (iv)
All players admitted to receiving injections by Mr. Dank
Point 144
.....Player A's sample taken in the wake of the match of 14 July 2012 as being indicative of the exogenous administration of TB-4. However, as was indeed accepted, such scientific evidence was not necessary if the circumstantial evidence sufficed....
Point 145
....The Panel states without hesitation that it entirely accepts Prof Thevis's evidence that he sample of Player A did contain TB-4.....

So just to sum it up.
The case wasn't built on a positive result of drugs in the system. It was built around the load of evidence. Remember the panel members just had to be 'comfortably satisfied' that the doping occurred.
So I recommend you read the whole thing. Sums it up quite well and puts the players in a bad light as well
http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Arbitral_Award_WADA_ESSENDON.pdf

I love how Essendon officials (especially that unapologetic prat Hird) have come out swinging. Here's a wild idea, guys. Don't fucking cheat.

There were winners. Every other player that plays the game clean. The losers were a pack of fucking cheaters.

I love how Essendon officials (especially that unapologetic prat Hird) have come out swinging. Here's a wild idea, guys. Don't fucking cheat.

There were winners. Every other player that plays the game clean. The losers were a pack of fucking cheaters.

So does most of Australia look on Essendon pretty poorly here? The players, I mean. My husband doesn't give one whit for the team as a whole (as we're transplanted Crows in Melb), but he's definitely sympathetic to the players. I could see how a bunch of young guys would just do whatever they were told, especially if they were assured it was legal/fine. Not that it gets them off the hook or anything, but if that's the case for some, I do feel bad for them as individuals.

AxeMan

So does most of Australia look on Essendon pretty poorly here? The players, I mean. My husband doesn't give one whit for the team as a whole (as we're transplanted Crows in Melb), but he's definitely sympathetic to the players. I could see how a bunch of young guys would just do whatever they were told, especially if they were assured it was legal/fine. Not that it gets them off the hook or anything, but if that's the case for some, I do feel bad for them as individuals.

Yes. Club is a stain and my reading of the CAS statement shows players deliberately leaving out details

legend166

I can gloat a little bit right?

No Monfries or Ryder for Port this year =\

Port knew that risk when they signed them, sorry.

I have no sympathy for the players. They could have spoken out but stood behind their club because they were lead to believe that Essendon would get them off the hook.

Strip Watson's medal please.

Make an example of them.

Yagharek

Since the club has seen a turnover of all the senior people responsible for the injections I hope any civil suits commenced by the players target the old board, ceo, coach, contractors who did the injections and staff responsible.

I hope there are bankruptcies over this.

AxeMan

Credit to him for not falling to the pressure applied by a corrupt board and the criminals dank and Robinson

Compare his attitude to that of the 'captains'

Part 127
Mr. Dank told Mr. Watson that he had forgotten his shot and Mr. Watson responded "we'll di it tomorrow", but according to Mr. Watson, he did not. Mr. Watson's explanation as to why, if he had lost faith in the program, he did not simply say that he did no intend to receive further injections, was that it was easier to just say "yeah, okay", was not wholly convincing, but, without prejudice to that and more importantly, the interchange illustrates that Mr. Dank was concerned to ensure that....

So the captain didn't have the strength to say 'no more' so he just went along with it. LOL. The players deserve no sympathy in my view

Since the club has seen a turnover of all the senior people responsible for the injections I hope any civil suits commenced by the players target the old board, ceo, coach, contractors who did the injections and staff responsible.

I hope there are bankruptcies over this.

its gonna be interesting to see all the civil lawsuits or if Essendon try to settle out of court with all.

Im expecting a Carlton x Essendon merger before 2020.

legend166

The 'poor players' rhetoric falls over with the revelation that all the players lied on their forms to ASADA.

You can look at the form here:https://www.wada-ama.org/en/resources/world-anti-doping-program/doping-control-form

Basically it's the paper work for when an athlete is drug tested. There's a box where you fill in what drugs you've taken over the last week (it even says 'supplements').

According to CAS there was never any mention from any of the Essendon players about anything Dank had given them. Strange behaviour if they thought everything was above board.

its gonna be interesting to see all the civil lawsuits or if Essendon try to settle out of court with all.

Im expecting a Carlton x Essendon merger before 2020.

They paid hird 1million to go live in France for 9months, hope all these suspended players get atleast that

AxeMan

I think this is my favourite press release today.

Is that real?

When is the media going to stop with the 'they are all victims' theme. They are not victims, none of them. Reading the CAS statement they all lied and deliberately went out of their way to cheat the system.
They should be asking for forgiveness, not sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom