• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2016 |OT| Essendon moving to Egpyt, to be closer to supporter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri_willy

good god, hardly venture here these days but alas, glad the annual tradition of footy-gaf is still alive. carn the crows!!!

Yagharek

Eh I am more sympathetic to the club after hirds qanda earlier in the week. He was a clear scapegoat, the players were used to set an example, people who should have faced more scrutiny didn't, and the afl acted to cover it's image more than anything else.

Yes there were fuckups from all, but shit only rolls downhill is a saying that exists for a reason.

legend166

Eh I am more sympathetic to the club after hirds qanda earlier in the week. He was a clear scapegoat, the players were used to set an example, people who should have faced more scrutiny didn't, and the afl acted to cover it's image more than anything else.

Yes there were fuckups from all, but shit only rolls downhill is a saying that exists for a reason.

Come on Yag, you don't believe a word that Hird speaks do you?

AxeMan

No. This is wrong.
Hird wasn't pressed at all. It was more PR than an interview.

Yagharek

No. This is wrong.
Hird wasn't pressed at all. It was more PR than an interview.

The entire three years was all PR from all factions. You cannot ignore that there are people with significant questions to answer and blame to take. Beyond hird and the players.
Dank and Hamilton in particular. Evans and demetriou but less so.

Yagharek

Also who noticed the bit where the Afl suspected banned thymosin was taken and sent a few dozen samples to Europe to be tested. All tests came back negative.

AxeMan

The entire three years was all PR from all factions. You cannot ignore that there are people with significant questions to answer and blame to take. Beyond hird and the players.
Dank and Hamilton in particular. Evans and demetriou but less so.

PR from Essendon and the AFL. That is it.
Government departments don't engage in PR. I don't care what people think that government departments do, they are not concerned with themselves. They get on with their job as required by their legislation. The investigation isn't over from some government departments I believe

Essendon are to blame. They instigated the program
Essendon being the individuals who oversaw the program, had knowledge of the program, turned a blind eye to the program, who should have known of the program, who didn't stop the program. Players included.

The AFL are to blame for trying to cover up the program, interfering with the investigation and not meting out proper punishment of the program.
AFL being administrators who were involved in the above and who approved of or/and allowed the above to take place.

The AFLPA are to blame for not representing the 700 odd players who didn't take PEDs

Yagharek

Government departments don't engage in PR.

Really?

They absolutely do play PR however in this case, both or all parties in this agree that ASADA have done their job despite intense meddling from the afl and media.

But as a general rule, PR in government departments is a requirement.

AxeMan

Really?

They absolutely do play PR however in this case, both or all parties in this agree that ASADA have done their job despite intense meddling from the afl and media.

But as a general rule, PR in government departments is a requirement.

If that's all you can pick on in my comment then I'll accept that; though I will explain the 'pr in government departments' a little more.

No doubt McDevitt loved getting up in front of the media and spruiking the CAS decision. It reflected well on ASADA and their investigation.

Overall remember that a government department/agency is to carry out their functions as defined in legislation no matter the positive or negative. So, if at any time ASADA felt that they didn't have the legislation (or requirement) to do the job then they would have stopped.
If the evidence that they had gathered during their investigation didn't require them to proceed with prosecution then they wouldn't have done it.
Think of them (and all government departments/agencies) like robots. They act, and can only act, within pre-defined parameters. Once a parameter is triggered then the instructions will be followed until the end of the procedure.

Ministers like to spruik and have been trying to make departments an extension of the (current) ruling party. This is wrong. The departments and agencies are neutral to politics and carry out their functions independent of the current political environment (much to the/any governments chagrin).

So a government department/agency will act as it believes has to. If it happens to be that the legislation enabling it to act is good then it'll get a good reputation as an aside then excellent.

Overall, I'd hardly believe ASADA started any mud slinging in the media, went outside it's legislation, leaked information to the media.
If it's 'pr' was good it's because it caught the PED cheats. What it is required to do

Yagharek

I'm not slinging any mud at asada. Last year maybe but in hindsight what asada did was excellent work despite the best efforts of the afl to leak everything they could to the media.

jambo

is it just me, or are the top-ups Essendon are getting look starting to look better then their current banned list? =P

Mr_Moogle

Am I the only person disgusted with the fact the AFL has never officially punished Essendon for performance enhancing drugs?

Last year they charged the Bombers with failures in governance but managed to completely avoid charging them for running a doping scheme. Now the grown ups have entered the room and it's official that Essendon we're doping so where the fuck is their punishment from the AFL?

I agree with everything you've said. The AFL response was woeful.

From an NRL perspective, I find it funny that no one seems to care that the man who was the architect of the biggest team doping scandal in Australian history (Dank) worked in the NRL for years and years before the AFL, including with Manly while they were winning premierships. His stink is everywhere and I'm certain the NRL pushed the Cronulla players to take a deal because they didn't want that stuff investigated too thoroughly.

Dank and Robinson we're both involved with Geelong too right about the time they went from being a basketcase into a juggernaut. If that isn't a giant elephant in the room I don't know what is.

Omikron

Am I the only person disgusted with the fact the AFL has never officially punished Essendon for performance enhancing drugs?

Last year they charged the Bombers with failures in governance but managed to completely avoid charging them for running a doping scheme. Now the grown ups have entered the room and it's official that Essendon we're doping so where the fuck is their punishment from the AFL?

Pretty easy for the AFL to say they punished them at the time and they can't do it again. Especially when they do not want to bury Essendon forever or at least for a significant amount of time, which is quite likely if they went them again. It isn't in the interest of the competition as a whole.

So yeah, that independent AFL tribunal hey.

Mr_Moogle

Pretty easy for the AFL to say they punished them at the time and they can't do it again. Especially when they do not want to bury Essendon forever or at least for a significant amount of time, which is quite likely if they went them again. It isn't in the interest of the competition as a whole.

So yeah, that independent AFL tribunal hey.

Both the AFL and Essendon stated several times that those punishments we're only for governance. The AFL can't now come out and say "oh buy the way those sanctions also covered doping offences too". It's such a fucking joke of an organisation.

Also who the hell cares if Essendon stay on the bottom of the ladder for 10 years? I didn't see anybody rushing to help Carlton out when they got their whack.

jambo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-02/blow-for-port-as-dixon-goes-in-for-knee-surgery

PORT Adelaide recruit Charlie Dixon's pre-season has been derailed for at least a month after knee surgery.

The club said the former Sun had suffered minor damage to his left meniscus at training on Monday and had surgery on Tuesday.

"His operation was pretty straightforward and we’ll be able to get him through his rehab by the end of the NAB Challenge," Burgess said.

"He actually got through the whole session yesterday, but felt sore when he came off the track and we opted to get it scanned."

Fuck.

Hopefully he'll be good and ready for the season proper.

Yagharek

Dank and Robinson we're both involved with Geelong too right about the time they went from being a basketcase into a juggernaut. If that isn't a giant elephant in the room I don't know what is.

Where are the positive tests? The only tests for the substances they were banned for came back negative.

mrpookles

Where are the positive tests? The only tests for the substances they were banned for came back negative.

If the AFL are adhering to the WADA code (which they supposedly are), positive tests are not a pre-requisite for punishing guilty athletes for PED use. See: the CAS hearing verdict.

AxeMan

Have you read the CAS judgment? If you haven't go and read it. There is no reasonable person can come away thinking that on balance of probabilities that they didn't dope.

Also, if you need a positive test to be found guilty then you may as well allow everyone to dope

Anyone watched any of the pre-season yet. I watched a bit lastnight.

and Richmond played the first Q like it was a finals game. The Tigers jumpers look crap with the fluro yellow.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I work late so I haven't been able to sit down and watch a game yet. Tried watching a replay this morning but the afl live pass app is terrible so i gave up 10 mins in. I'll probably only watch full Geelong matches tbh.

jambo

Hopped on the free 3 months of Foxtel Platinum HD deal that is going at JBHiFi, so I watched a tiny bit of the matches so far

Has there been any issues relating to the new man on the mark rules?

AxeMan

I watched the Hawks v Blues and half of Freo v Tigers.
Nothing to get excited or worried about for any supporters of those teams. Actually, Carlton played really well

I'm trialling watchafl.com.au on my computer. I'm glad I didn't pay for it and wont be after the trial ends. Looks worse than SD and stutters quite a bit

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Only caught the end (apparently we kept getting opened up in defense) but I liked a lot of what I saw from Geelong. So many new faces that it feels almost like a new team.
You'd think by the way it ended there was more at stake so great effort from both teams.

Essendon could be worse the first year GWS/Gold Coast. they played well against Carlton lastweek and with only a few changed no even competitive against Geelong.

And makes Carlton look even worse, even with the players they were missing last week. could be fighting out for the spoon this year.

Pumped for the season!

For those that are into podcasts and especially TOFOP by Wil Anderson and Charlie Clausen, go check out 2 Guys 1 Cup. It's their new AFL podcast. Good for a listen.

Yagharek

4 Corners investigation into Hal Hunter and essendon refusing to disclose to him what medical records they have and pursuing him for court costs for trying to access them.

Maybe the punishment is wrong. They should ban the club for twelve months and let the players play elsewhere.

do I have to do anything to sign up for the footy tipping comp again?

I just checked and it looks like the registration to the GAF league carries over and I don't need to enter in the league password again?

jambo

AFAIK it carries over between years.

before I cleaned up my account at the end of last season I was a member of a tipping comp for a company that hasn't existed for 6 years now.

The only worrying thing about the current AFLGAF competition is that the person who created it and has admin access hasn't logged on since 2013...

4 Corners investigation into Hal Hunter and essendon refusing to disclose to him what medical records they have and pursuing him for court costs for trying to access them.

Maybe the punishment is wrong. They should ban the club for twelve months and let the players play elsewhere.

I don't mean to sound callous, at this point I'd be happy for a season without Essendon news at all. Put it to bed forever, it's just dragging the whole sport down at this point IMO.

Here's my starting team for SuperCoach 2016, hoping I make the finals this year. I need to get to reviewing who's playing, injured etc.
*crosses fingers, legs and eyes that Tiges get off to a good start this season against the Blues tonight.

U7IbKJC.jpg

fisheyes

AFAIK it carries over between years.

before I cleaned up my account at the end of last season I was a member of a tipping comp for a company that hasn't existed for 6 years now.

The only worrying thing about the current AFLGAF competition is that the person who created it and has admin access hasn't logged on since 2013...

That's me I think. I've been overseas the past 2 years but am back now anyway.

On a semi-related note, I'm pumped for my first game at the new Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

That's me I think. I've been overseas the past 2 years but am back now anyway.

On a semi-related note, I'm pumped for my first game at the new Adelaide Oval on Sunday.
You should have made your first game at Adelaide Oval the Showdown but still you shouldn't be disappointed.

KAP151

Great come from behind from the mighty Dee's today.

Best game ive seen Watts play live. Oliver and Viney were monsters. We finally are starting to get a midfield after years of pure shite.

legend166

Great come from behind from the mighty Dee's today.

Best game ive seen Watts play live. Oliver and Viney were monsters. We finally are starting to get a midfield after years of pure shite.

I always trusted Roosy. He's doing for you guys what Barrassi did for us in the mid 90s.

bomma_man

Yeah that was a great game. Melbourne looked really really good at times. After a quiet three quarters hogan turned the game on its head, which is crazy for a second year tall forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom