• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika |OT| of pretending to work for National Geographic

You can't redo missions, but by halfway through the game I'd be surprised if you don't have more than enough money to buy just about everything. Don't forget to send pictures of new animals to the first e-mail - you get lots of money that way.

Baker said:
Just tried to play it.

No inverse camera options = I didn't even take a fucking picture of the first zebra. I ejected the game out of the PS3 to never be put in again.

I am seriously at a loss of words how someone can make a game like this and not have control options.

This is the one thing that is stopping me from purchasing the game. Why can't publishers include this option by default? But then again I wasn't expecting much from a Natsume localization.

WiCkEd_Co

Baker said:
Just tried to play it.

No inverse camera options = I didn't even take a fucking picture of the first zebra. I ejected the game out of the PS3 to never be put in again.

I am seriously at a loss of words how someone can make a game like this and not have control options.

What the hell? I just took it off my Gamefly list because of that. Stupid stupid move on them.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Perhaps a little off-topic, but is there a way to get the Afrika theme without having to open up a Japanese PS3 profile?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
TheOMan said:
Perhaps a little off-topic, but is there a way to get the Afrika theme without having to open up a Japanese PS3 profile?
it's on the US store.

Kinda bummed to hear so much negativity about the camera controls. If you guys really think you'd like the game otherwise, don't let something like that stop you! It really deserves to be played.

mrkapawutzis said:
This is the one thing that is stopping me from purchasing the game. Why can't publishers include this option by default? But then again I wasn't expecting much from a Natsume localization.

I don't remember that being in the Japanese version.

Tailzo

Kyleripman said:
Kinda bummed to hear so much negativity about the camera controls. If you guys really think you'd like the game otherwise, don't let something like that stop you! It really deserves to be played.
Yeah. I haven't had any problem with it myself. The game is a lot better so far, than the reviews would make anyone believe.

Psy-Phi

WiCkEd_Co said:
What the hell? I just took it off my Gamefly list because of that. Stupid stupid move on them.
Sweet, maybe it will finally be in stock for me next time I ship back these two games. Been on my list since it released and I sitll haven't gotten it (nor anything else at the top 5 of my list).

rant: Gettin ready to drop gamefly. I started again because I was starting to get irritated at buying games because of the amount of space they're taking up. But it's looking like I'll be better off just continuing to buy them at discounted prices. I pay 50 bucks before I actually get something that truly interests me and have to remove the fillers I throw in to get something out of the money I am paying them. Maybe I should just go to blockbuster...

So I'm pretty early in the game, just got the third trophy, and I have let several days pass by sleeping in the tent and I'm not getting new e-mails. Is this a common game-breaking bug? Do I have to reinstall or start over? Or, does anyone remember any obscure requirements for moving the game forward when you had no missions to accomplish?

EDIT: My bad. I forgot I had to send in a photo of new animals (in this case, the only thing was elephants far off in the distance in the swamp) before I would get new missions.

BarrenMind, that's almost always the case when you aren't getting new e-mails. I've been following the community (such as it exists) for Afrika ever since its Japanese release, and I have not heard of any game-breaking bugs. Cheers!

Tailzo

We keep getting new equipement, finding new animals and doing new missions. Playing this game, makes me kinda sad there is so little interest for games of this genre. I was lucky enough to also get a hold of Aquanauts Holiday. So now we have two games of this relaxing genre.

I wish there was a translation of the garden simulatorm game too (Shi-tei?), since Arika doesn't see to require you to research plant life.

Agnates

Banned
This looks cool, I hope Arika's next game is similar. But maybe not just in Africa but letting you choose out of various areas like Endless Ocean 2 does. Or maybe they should do an Endless Ocean 3 that's REALLY MASSIVE with more focus on the creatures' interactions with each other first, so they don't just swim around and only feed in certain situations. Hmm... Or maybe they could combine Endless Ocean and Endless Land in one game (as long as they made the effort to not have the land stuff clunky like it is in EO1 & seemingly 2) :D

Agnates said:
This looks cool, I hope Arika's next game is similar. But maybe not just in Africa but letting you choose out of various areas like Endless Ocean 2 does. Or maybe they should do an Endless Ocean 3 that's REALLY MASSIVE with more focus on the creatures' interactions with each other first, so they don't just swim around and only feed in certain situations. Hmm... Or maybe they could combine Endless Ocean and Endless Land in one game (as long as they made the effort to not have the land stuff clunky like it is in EO1 & seemingly 2) :D

somehow i doubt we're getting any more games like this :( they just dont sell. Afrika took quite a while to make and probably had a budget like most games this gen.. i find it hard to believe that it paid off for them.

as game companies are starting to fall, and many like EA are axing any even slightly risky projects... i seriously fear for games of this type.

if only people bought Endless Ocean, Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday by the millions... then we'd see some TRULY amazing "nature sim" games with high production values and massive areas to explore and so on. but the consumers decide what games we're gonna get... so it's more shooters for us.

Goldrusher

astroturfing said:
somehow i doubt we're getting any more games like this :( they just dont sell.
It's obvious Sony doesn't want them to sell.

They teased us with Afrika for years, then only launched it in Japan.
It took another year for an American release by a third-party publisher.
It never released in Europe.

And Aquanaut's Holiday never even made it out of Japan and Hong Kong.

Agnates

Banned
Didn't Endless Ocean sell something crazy like a million despite the lack of marketing, hence Endless Ocean 2 (which probably won't do good but probably enough to make a profit) was made? I'm sure the first sold out in Europe but didn't get reprints as I couldn't find it anywhere a year after release and even Amazon UK only has it from other sellers used. I dunno about Afrika sales though. How did Endless Ocean 2 do in Japan (though the first flopped there so it doesn't matter yet)?

Le-mo

Did anybody manage to platinum this game? I already beat the game, but I am having trouble on this one mission where you have take a closeup picture of an Ostrich in this Gorge place (haven't played the game for months so I can't remember the name). The problem is the Ostriches won't show up! I tried going there at night, in the morning, rinse and repeat but the damn Ostriches still won't show up. I have 82% of the trophies and am only missing 2 gold trophies which I can't get unless I pass this mission.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Le-mo said:
Did anybody manage to platinum this game?
Sorry, I don't have the game, but I thought I'd say that I have used ps3trophies.org to find strategies for certain trophies. They have a section and forum for Afrika:
http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/afrika/overview/
At least one person has run into a serious trophy glitch so, hope you're not in the same situation.

I have no association with the site. I know of them because I used the info in the forum there when I was getting all the Savage Moon trophies and the platinum in God of War II.

dak1dsk1

Banned
I'm really liking this game. I hope it will teach me more about DSLR photography. Later in the game, it's supposed to become quite technical. Killing aliens become very tiresome, so this is a nice change of pace. I got the Asian Edition, with english language options.

Happy hunting guys!

(sorry, bumped wrong thread before, blame google search!)

Tailzo

We're having a lot of trouble with Mission 045, Warthog With Babies. We keep visiting Chui Kopje again and again. Is ti possible the game ahs glitched? We've tried so many times, for so many days I've lost count.

Glix

Picking this up today, I don't know how I missed it's US release... My life was crazy the last few months of 09, but I can't believe I didn't see this in the US till last week!

Can't wait!

Adam J.

This was my official game of summer 09 (was playing an imported copy).

Game actually inspired me to purchase and learn a DSLR camera, so next time I play Afrika I should now be able to put all the in-game cameras on full manual mode.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got this for Christmas (talk about a surprise!). Just doing the first couple missions...starts slow, but really enjoyed the "turn the controller to go vertical." Nice surprise!

shaowebb

The conductor for the Video Games Live orchestra did the soundtrack for this game and I found out about it at a concert in WV they did. I loved Photography games in the past and my wife is big into photography, took some courses and is in love with the cameras in this game that you can earn.

I've been watching and wanting for awhile. <3

IrishNinja

haha, that's exactly the same way i learned about this game - performance at Video Games Live was great, and i wanna say the composer said something like "it's from a game called Afrika, which no one in america bought because it lacked aliens and guns" or something to that affect.

IrishNinja

^my 1st dynamic theme, and it's still a good one.
trying to upload my saves to PSN+ cloud really taught me about how ridiculously large the save file for this game is. it's massive.

sakipon

I should go back to this game. I really enjoyed the idea of African nature and photographing, but got quickly reminded of the cruel realities. Death by angry hippos. Those fatsos aren't jolly.

I have been waiting for this game to drop to $25 or less for literally years now. I think I'm just gonna give in and grab it if I get any Amazon gift cards for Christmas, I can't take it anymore! ;p

I have always been meaning to play more of this as it looks like a good game to relax to. Picked it up along with Aquanauts Holiday a while ago, and only played Afrika for like ten minutes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Anna is a lazy fuck. I go out chasing cheetahs and she sits around and tells me what to do.

I completely forgot about this game and yet it's something I've been interested in ever since I heard of its localization. It's just one of those games that I rarely see in stores or being discussed. I see it is on Amazon for $20 which seems reasonable.

Top Bottom