• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 70 Hours I am done with FFTA...now what?

MacGuffin

I just got bored (since I have already beaten it) of playing a great game in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and now I would like something that will hold my attention and have some good length to it. I guess an RPG, but I dig strategy a lot.....suggestions GAFers?

MacGuffin

I enjoyed it and I know many that did, maybe you didn't get far enough into it. Whatever the reason the point is that I am done and need something else to play.

Prospero

I gave FFTA 20 hours before I ended up putting it aside, but I do know more than a few people who found it worth 60+ hours.

Anyway, I found Tactics Ogre to be a better game than FFTA--it's shorter, but slightly more difficult, and has better writing and game balance. Fire Emblem is in my GBA right now, but I haven't gotten far enough into it to say anything about its length or depth.

The best games mentioned on this list have been Advance Wars 1 and 2. Both will give you hours and hours of deep gameplay, the hotseat multiplayer is excellent, and the single-player campaigns are truly challenging--the most difficult strategic gaming this gen.

It depends on what you want:

Tactics Ogre: More traditional story, somewhat bland characters mostly, almost as easy as FF Tactics Advance. Neither has much challenge compared to their big brothers, but both are pretty fun. It is far less complex than Tactics, as there are very few skills to get in the game. The story is pretty good and it has two endings and some alternate characters in each branch.

Fire Emblem: Not as long as Tactics if you are good, but it is much harder and has much more interactivity on each map. I found it much more satisfying. It has a great story, great characters, and a fairl complex world. The art is quite good, especially in the cut-scenes.

Advance Wars series: No RPG element, but the best strategy gameplay on the GBA, or any console perhaps. I prefer Fire Emblem for the RPG elements and the story, but it is nice not having to worry about losing units as all are generic military units. You would be best served to ignore the story completely, but 2's is not as bad as 1's story (I like you, but I'll challenge you to fight, ignoring the hundreds of soldiers who die in each battle under the command of a child).

Also, did you complete the post game missions and the Judge missions? I did like the fact that you can lose units when you battle the Corrupt judges.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
Advance Wars 2 remains my most consistantly played cart - ever!

Uncommonly satisfying handheld experience that ramps up the challenge nicely. And when you want to take breaks from the variety of single player maps or multiplayer games, you can design your own levels!!! What could be better?

AW2!!!!!!

I love designing levels in Advance Wars 2, but I wish it had more than 3 slots, as I really like some of the levels I have made, but I like making new levels as well. I also wish you could use the Black Hole Army buildings and Units, especially their special structures from single player.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Diomedeskun said:
Advance Wars series: (I like you, but I'll challenge you to fight, ignoring the hundreds of soldiers who die in each battle under the command of a child).

LOL, it's funny 'cuz it's true.

Prospero

My favorite feature of the backstory is that the game takes place in Wars World, where apparently, a constant state of war is the order of the day. War with brightly painted tanks.

I'm still playing Shining Force, but it is quite good as well. It is probably the most fun, and it is a little more challenging than Tactics Ogre or FF Tactics Advance, despite being much simpler. It is still quite easy, but meeting the bonus goals can occasionally be a challenge.

I actually remade my best Advance Wars level in Advance Wars 2, with some changes due to the new AW2 pieces, but I have filled all the slots for levels on both games. I made a level based on the Lake Pontchartrain bridge in New Orleans while stuck there in traffic for an hour last year.

Fire Emblem is still my favorite, but the others are great too.

jarrod

Banned
I'm hoping Atlus USA picks up Monster Summoner next! :)

monster-summoner-20040712063236810.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063235966.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063234763.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063235169.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063235560.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063233935.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063234341.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063233044.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063233482.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063232607.jpg
monster-summoner-20040712063230029.jpg

john tv

Fire Emblem and Shining Force are all you need. IMO, the FE games are among the very best the GBA has to offer, if not THE best.

Top Bottom