• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 9 years, GTA:Online finally has anti-cheat on PC (mod users will be hardware banned)

cormack12

Gold Member
pQDe5N2.jpeg

What do we think GAF, ahead of GTA 6 right? RIGHT?

HogIsland

Extremely dumb and shitty, but Battleye doesn't rule out Steam Deck + Linux support. Helldivers 2 uses it and works fine. if GTA:O doesn't work on Deck, it's because Rockstar fucked up, not BattlEye.

BattleEye is about as effective as a stinky poopoo. All you need to know is that its used in Siege and PUBG which are rampant with cheaters lmao.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Laughs in Windows on Steam Deck.

will not play there anyway.

BattleEye is about as effective as a stinky poopoo. All you need to know is that its used in Siege and PUBG which are rampant with cheaters lmao.
And do a job banning tons of people.

Last edited:

pudel

I only care about the GTA single player part. Never touched that online thing....but it seems to be quite popular, especially the RPG servers...which are all heavy modded....and which means they are all dead right now? Really? That would be a massacre if true, wouldnt it?

nikos

Their main motivation is probably to stop people from getting easy/free cash, which detracts from Shark Card sales. Surprised it took this long. Perhaps they are experimenting for GTA VI.

Nelly_Nel_7.1.3

Neo Member
They should move on from GTA 5 and focus more on GTA 6 because I do not want any delays. If people want to cheat let them the game have made it money already. 11 years of GTA 5 is plenty enough support from Rockstar let the cheaters have there fun. Because they are going to cheat regardless anyway even after GTA 6 release on the PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They should move on from GTA 5 and focus more on GTA 6 because I do not want any delays. If people want to cheat let them the game have made it money already. 11 years of GTA 5 is plenty enough support from Rockstar let the cheaters have there fun. Because they are going to cheat regardless anyway even after GTA 6 release on the PS5 Pro.
I'm curious what the transition from 5 to 6 is going to look like in GTA Online. Rockstar risks alienating GTA Online players if they're forced to start from zero in a new city. People may just choose to stop playing if they end up nerfed. They also risk people just wanting to stay with the current GTA Online. Looking forward to seeing what the plans are.

MMaRsu

I'm curious what the transition from 5 to 6 is going to look like in GTA Online. Rockstar risks alienating GTA Online players if they're forced to start from zero in a new city. People may just choose to stop playing if they end up nerfed. They also risk people just wanting to stay with the current GTA Online. Looking forward to seeing what the plans are.

Ofcourse you have to start with nothing otherwise whats the fun

Rambone

I'm fine with this. PC GTA Online was a cesspool of modder scum, it was just no fun to play in a lobby where dudes are caging you, teleporting, setting you on fire, exploding, etc etc etc. This literally happened so often that I just got sick of it. I play GTA-O on PS5 now as it is less likely you will encounter this kind of shit, if ever.

Nelly_Nel_7.1.3

Neo Member
I’m guessing the transition is going to be huge now that Rockstar are now working with next gen systems hardware. No excuses now right? Alienating the GTA 5 online players well not to sound mean but they are going have to accept reality, and stop playing GTA 5 online or move on and get GTA 6.

GTA 5 online will definitely still be up after the release of GTA 6 because of the investment of the money from the buyers/players and content dlcs that was created by the developers. Rockstar knows that GTA 5 online is still the hottest and still being played amongst different platforms that is being played on.

But GTA 6 is only going to be played on next gen systems PS5, PS5 Pro, and Xbox Series S/X. So any of the GTA fans who are still playing GTA 5 online on the last gen systems then upgrade to a PS5 or a Xbox Series S/X.

If you are already gaming on those systems then transitioning to GTA 6 will be easy because of huge leap of graphics, gameplay for single/online that it will have. A new beginning for a new series in the GTA world.

But keep in mind that nothing last forever at some point Rockstar will make that decision to shut down the online servers to GTA5 to bring more sales and new players to the GTA 6. If that happens due to cheaters, player count are dropping, or sales are down just know that the focus will be more on GTA 6.

keefged4

I have actually spent the last couple of hours on GTA online, and I have to say, its a massive improvement. Actually enjoyable now

Would have loved anticheat back when I used to play GTAO on PC. But it was possible to force yourself into solo lobbies so you can grind for a few hours before it filled up again with griefers and cheaters. Wonder if that's still a thing...

keefged4

What activities did you play?
Started a new character, done the tutorial, went through a couple of lobbies with no modders/cheaters at all and done a lot races. The last time I tried online I couldn't even find a lobby without at least one cheater or modder and was getting insta spawn killed. This time smooth sailing. Might actually put some time into it now.

Microsoft paves the way for Linux gaming success with plan that would kill kernel-level anti-cheat

cant happen soon enough, games do not need kl access

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not sure if kernel level access is the way to go but my friend used to stream GTA Online a lot and there were an insane number of cheaters and modders. That shit looked annoying.

Kupfer

BattleEye does work on Linux, doesn't it?

I mean I played DayZ on the Deck

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
It took a while to finally implement it. But after Epic released gta 5 for free, the cheater problem became extreme. There were several cheaters in every lobby. Way too late for me, since I stopped playing gta online. Partly because of the cheaters.

Dr Cowley

Neo Member
Would have loved anticheat back when I used to play GTAO on PC. But it was possible to force yourself into solo lobbies so you can grind for a few hours before it filled up again with griefers and cheaters. Wonder if that's still a thing...
Should be able to access almost everything in a solo/private server now apart from PvP stuff, no need to cheese it. Been this way for a few years now. Driving a slow ass garbage truck in an open lobby was infuriating, now you just fight some AI bikers, nice and chill

Edit: friends only lobbies too

Last edited:
Top Bottom