• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After months of delibaration... I got it!!

KarishBHR

14-127-127-11.JPG

It is the MSI RX9800, basically a 9800xt with only 128mb of ram! I cant wait! I hope I made the right choice, it cost me only 194 bux. I ordered it on Newegg, so I hope to have it by Wenesday. Can someone show me a tutorial on how I should approach OCing this card to its XT speeds?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
That is the craziest fucking face I've seen on the cover of a videocard box. Damn you Voodoo's boxart, your legacy lives on.

Meier

Good luck with your MSI dude.. I dunno how their video cards are, but the mobo I got from them was fucked from the beginning and the tech support was entirely non-existent. Thankfully Newegg took it back and I ended up getting an ASUS instead.

hgplayer1

Meier said:
Good luck with your MSI dude.. I dunno how their video cards are, but the mobo I got from them was fucked from the beginning and the tech support was entirely non-existent. Thankfully Newegg took it back and I ended up getting an ASUS instead.

which of their motherboards did you get? i was very close to buying one but then i backed out on the whole idea of building a PC for now.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
MSI motherboards are quite good. Just seems that there are a few vocal haters lurking about.

emerge

Well, I'm certainly not a hater, but considering that both an MSI GF4Ti4200 and a KT3-Ultra ARU crapped out on me I'm currently staying away from MSI products. On the graphics card a voltage regulator got so hot that the solder joints points melted, and on the board the RAID controller one day decided to cease function. Apart from that MSI gets usually positive remarks.

Nos_G

I have the MSI K8T800 NEO-FI2SR for my A64 3200+ and it hasn't given me any problems.

There isn't really any magical faultless brands... it's just that when you get a lemon, it's too much of a hassle to get things sorted out with the manufacturer and such. Hence the very vocal haters..

Anyway, congrats on your new vid-card Karish... I pretty much have the same card... except mine is a BBA 9800pro 128mb soft-modded to 9800xt. (it had a r360 core and has an Arctic Cooler Rev3 HS for cooling)

DaCocoBrova said:
MSI motherboards are quite good. Just seems that there are a few vocal haters lurking about.

I agree. The two most obvious picks are Abit and Asus. But MSI is pretty damn good. One odd lemon doesn't make the whole company crap.

KarishBHR

Nos_G said:
I have the MSI K8T800 NEO-FI2SR for my A64 3200+ and it hasn't given me any problems.

There isn't really any magical faultless brands... it's just that when you get a lemon, it's too much of a hassle to get things sorted out with the manufacturer and such. Hence the very vocal haters..

Anyway, congrats on your new vid-card Karish... I pretty much have the same card... except mine is a BBA 9800pro 128mb soft-modded to 9800xt. (it had a r360 core and has an Arctic Cooler Rev3 HS for cooling)

whatcha mean softmodded? Just upping the speeds through Omega or something?

Nos_G

I bought the Arctic Cooler Rev3 for the 9800pro to give it better cooling and in doing so, I saw that it had a R360 core. (with 9800pro R350 bios providing core/mem timings)

So I overclocked to 9800xt frequencies at first to see how well it would do at those speeds... (to look for artifacts and such)

The card performed quite nicely, so I decided to flash it with a 9800xt bios to take advantage of optimized R360 shaders.

Now my wait for beyond x800 chipsets will be easier. :D

Hope that made some sense.

KarishBHR

Nos_G said:
I bought the Arctic Cooler Rev3 for the 9800pro to give it better cooling and in doing so, I saw that it had a R360 core. (with 9800pro R350 bios providing core/mem timings)

So I overclocked to 9800xt frequencies at first to see how well it would do at those speeds... (to look for artifacts and such)

The card performed quite nicely, so I decided to flash it with a 9800xt bios to take advantage of optimized R360 shaders.

Now my wait for beyond x800 chipsets will be easier. :D

Hope that made some sense.

Ok... but apparently this card will show up as the XT in the drivers and my pc anyway... so would I just OC it?

Malakhov

Banned
I used to have a MSI Geforce 4 Ti 4200 before my Radeon 9800 pro and I'm still using a MSI motherboard, never had problems with either of them!

Nos_G

I would invest in better cooling before OC'ing anything..

With that being said look here for the procedures I took: http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=2

Yeah the first part of the process dumps the original bios into the floppy... so if anything goes wrong, then just reflash with the original bios..

However, do not do any of this if you are not willing to take the bullet for another card, if things go wayward.

Maybe I have said too much... just enjoy the card!!! :p

KarishBHR

Nos_G said:
I would invest in better cooling before OC'ing anything..

With that being said look here for the procedures I took: http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=2

Yeah the first part of the process dumps the original bios into the floppy... so if anything goes wrong, then just reflash with the original bios..

However, do not do any of this if you are not willing to take the bullet for another card, if things go wayward.

Maybe I have said too much... just enjoy the card!!! :p

The MSI's cooling is insane... its mega huge. All reviews says it goes beyond the XT on stock cooling with OCing

KarishBHR

O man, its like 20 minutes away! It says "Package not due for delivery" I guesse that means they dont have to give me it... but maybe they will :)

Nos_G

So... does the MSI cooling look anything like this?

arctic2.jpg

???

Sorry bad picture.. but I don't want to pull it out just for a photo op. :p

Nos_G

Hey that's pretty cool, I like how it cools down the memory as well... I should probably buy some of those mini heatsinks for mine...

You should probably just use the card AND THEN think about OC'ing it if you are bored at a later time. :p

KarishBHR

Nos_G said:
Hey that's pretty cool, I like how it cools down the memory as well... I should probably buy some of those mini heatsinks for mine...

You should probably just use the card AND THEN think about OC'ing it if you are bored at a later time. :p

Ill see how it performs first... Ill update you tomorrow

KarishBHR

Ok... its been on the truck since this morning, so I expect it very soon.

For doom 3, should I get the Omega Drivers and make my card an XT or should I get the 4.9 Cats and keep it a pro for now?

Also, regardless... can someone give me a good read on how the Omega overclocking works?

Mrbob

I don't see any boost from the OMEGAs. I just use official drivers. Use this to overclock your card:

http://atitool.ocfaq.com/

Now, be careful. Each card is different. I'd bump up a couple mhz at a time and test the card manually. Do not use the auto overclock option. It tries to find your max overclock. But people who have left it on for extended periords of time have had their card burn out.

For Doom 3, get the 4.9 doom 3 beta drivers. From my short experience with ATI drivers their beta drivers and final drivers are usually almost the same. I got a nice boost with the 4.9 beta drivers over the 4.7 official.

KarishBHR

Mrbob said:
I don't see any boost from the OMEGAs. I just use official drivers. Use this to overclock your card:

http://atitool.ocfaq.com/

Now, be careful. Each card is different. I'd bump up a couple mhz at a time and test the card manually. Do not use the auto overclock option. It tries to find your max overclock. But people who have left it on for extended periords of time have had their card burn out.

For Doom 3, get the 4.9 doom 3 beta drivers. From my short experience with ATI drivers their beta drivers and final drivers are usually almost the same. I got a nice boost with the 4.9 beta drivers over the 4.7 official.

Ok well I installed and tested it. Few problems, my PC thinks its PCI, this happened with my Geforce 4MX and I think its just my mobo. It runs fine though. I got an OC of 420/730 on ATI tool but Im gonna see if I can make it better. Im using Omega Drivers but now that I know there are others ways to OC my card Im going with the 4.9 betas for Doom 3. DOOM 3 IS AMAZING

Top Bottom