• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After nearly seven years, Cassini-Huygens succesfully enters the orbit of Saturn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past six months, we've landed on Mars twice, sent a probe past a comet, and now we've entered orbit around Saturn, 900 million miles from Earth

It's taken almost seven years, but the US/European Cassini probe slipped between the F and G rings of Saturn at a speed of 70,000 kilometers per hour (43,500 miles per hour), fired it's rockets for 96 minutes and became the first spacecraft to orbit around the planet. The Cassini-Huygens mission consists of the Cassini (a NASA built orbiter) that is now in orbit around Saturn, and the Huygens probe (built by the ESA-European Space Agency), which will now try to land on Titan! This has taken twenty years of planning by scientists in the US and 17 nations, and $3.3 billion funded by NASA, the ESA and the Italian Space Agency.

Cassini is huge, about the size of a bus. It's the third largest spacecraft ever launched. Because it's so big, it's had to use four gravity-assists to get to Saturn: Earth, Venus twice, and then Jupiter. This is why it's taken almost 7 years to get there.

Images taken during Cassini's flyby on June 11 suggest that Saturn's moon Phoebe is an ice-rich body coated with a thin layer of dark material.
corner300.jpg

The rings of Saturn, taken by Cassini on May 11, 2004.
rings300.jpg

Wavy structures in Saturn's southern hemisphere in a May 15, 2004 image taken by Cassini.
ultraviolet300.jpg

This image was taken by Cassini on June 29, 2004 as it approached Saturn and prepared to enter orbit.
PIA06077.jpg

On December 25, Huygens will separate from Cassini and head towards Titan, arriving on January 14, 2005. After a 2.5 hour decent, it will attempt to land on the surface. Titan is blanketed by a thick atmosphere of nitrogen and methane, is believed to have organic compounds resembling those on Earth billions of years before life appeared.

Cassini's mission will last four years, and will make 76 orbits around Saturn and 52 close passes by seven of the 31 known moons.

Because Saturn is so far, it takes more than 80 minutes to transfer radio signals each way, but we can expect some pretty amazing photos to start showing up later today, and for the next four years.

Coverage has already begun on NASA TV (which I don't have... :( ), but you can also catch the webcasts here.

Great post, thanks.

PIA06077.jpg

Every time I see an image of Saturn claiming to be a photo I'm in disbelief, and this no different. It just doesn't look like a real photo to me! Someone explain?

SyNapSe

adelgary said:
Every time I see an image of Saturn claiming to be a photo I'm in disbelief, and this no different. It just doesn't look like a real photo to me! Someone explain?

First thing I thought too. It looks like a model held up against a black background. So, it's currently in Saturns orbit, but the huygen or whatever isn't going to detach and try to land on that moon until December? Why.. Does the Cassini return then?

edit: One of the wierd things about the photos is there are no stars, or debris of any kind in the background.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
First raw images since it entered orbit (i'm sure they'll get better):

61692main_soi5-516.jpg

61694main_soi6-516.jpg

edit - took out a couple to keep this thread fast(ish) ;)

adelgary said:

Yeah, it's pretty surreal, isn't it?

Here's the first color composite image of Saturn taken by Cassini on October 21, 2002. It was 285 million kilometers (177 million miles) away at the time.
image30.jpg

I think it doesn't look real because you're expecting to see tons of stars in the background. You can see one lone star in the background in the photo above, however.

This is the closest we've been to Saturn since Voyager 1 passed by almost 25 years ago. Here's a enhanced-color image of the northern hemisphere of Saturn taken by Voyager 1 on November 5, 1980 at a range of 9 million km (5.5 million mi) away.

image17.jpg

I can only imagine the cool stuff we'll soon be seeing, and I can't wait until we go to Titan in January. The landing should be amazing!

SyNapSe said:
edit: One of the wierd things about the photos is there are no stars, or debris of any kind in the background.

It's the same deal with the Apollo moon photos not showing stars. The camera exposure is set for a bright sunlit object. Unless...

OMG!!! We never went to Saturn!!!

Willco

Hollywood Square
You people must be blind. I easily see stars in the background. I mean, there's not a lot or anything, but they're there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're the first pics of the rings, from the lit and unlit sides. TBH, I thought we'd be seeing pics of big rocks and stuff, but they seem to be very fine lines, like dust..maybe these aren't very close-up views or something.

Tritroid

This really has me interested, especially the pod that's going to land on Titan. What they find there could really be amazing. Is the landing pod equiped with any type of drill to dig beneath the surface?

Also, what's the plans for Cassini's final rotation? Are they going to let it continue to orbit Saturn or do they have plans to pull it away and let it drift off past the orbit of Pluto like other probes?

Tritroid

gofreak said:
They're the first pics of the rings, from the lit and unlit sides. TBH, I thought we'd be seeing pics of big rocks and stuff, but they seem to be very fine lines, like dust..maybe these aren't very close-up views or something.
Well judging from those pics it doesn't look like Cassini was actually very close to the rings when the picture was taken. But even then, the fragments that make up some of the rings are incredibly small, almost like dust as you said. Rocks within the rings have been bashing into one another for who knows how long, and the dust is the result. The only larger pieces would be the phase moons, but those are pretty easy to distinguish. (The gaps in the rings)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tritroid said:
This really has me interested, especially the pod that's going to land on Titan. What they find there could really be amazing. Is the landing pod equiped with any type of drill to dig beneath the surface?

Also, what's the plans for Cassini's final rotation? Are they going to let it continue to orbit Saturn or do they have plans to pull it away and let it drift off past the orbit of Pluto like other probes?

I don't believe the Titan probe can drill underground..they didn't put on any such instrument, i presume, because they don't know what kind of terrain they'll be landing on (solid, or liquid, or whateever). I've heard various different explanations of what it's going to do. Some of them seem to suggest it'll be quite a short lived expedition - that they're really just hoping to measure/record etc. for the duration of its descent through the atmosphere. Others I've read suggest it'll be doing stuff once it's landed also. It's prepared for most kinds of terrain, it can float if it hits liquid etc. I agree that it prob will be the most interesting part of the mission...there's a VERY slim chance they could find exceptionally primitive life there ala earth billions of years ago. Either way, the pics should be nice ;)

Tritroid said:

While it's designed to land either on either a solid or liquid surface (we'll find out soon!), the battery life will limit it to only being able to transfer data back to Earth for about 30 minutes. There are 6 instruments on board, and on is a surface-science instrument should it encounter land.

During its 2.5 hour descent, Huygens camera will capture more than 1,100 images, while the Probe's other five instruments will sample Titan's atmosphere and determine its composition. Huygens will be the furthest human-made object ever to land on a celestial body.

Tritroid said:

Cassini is scheduled for at least a four-year tour of Saturn and many of its 31 known moons. Cassini was will make 76 orbits and repeated fly-bys of the moons. I'm not sure if they will end up sending it out to the unknown, or end it in orbit.

Bregor

heavy liquid said:
Cassini is scheduled for at least a four-year tour of Saturn and many of its 31 known moons. Cassini was will make 76 orbits and repeated fly-bys of the moons. I'm not sure if they will end up sending it out to the unknown, or end it in orbit.

I'm fairly certain it's rocket engine will not have enough fuel left to break orbit from Saturn.

Also, check out the fly-by pics as it passed by Jupiter.

This was taken by the narrow angle (telephoto) camera onboard Cassini on December 29, 2000, during its closest approach to the giant planet at a distance of approximately 10 million kilometers (6.2 million miles). It is the most detailed global color portrait of Jupiter ever produced; the smallest visible features are approximately 60 kilometers (37 miles) across. full-res version

PIA04866.jpg

OmniGamer

It's going to be an interesting next 4 years...I also can't wait for the Europa mission, and what we may or may not discover after the probe drills/melts 60 miles through the ice and into the ocean beneath.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OmniGamer said:
It's going to be an interesting next 4 years...I also can't wait for the Europa mission, and what we may or may not discover after the probe drills/melts 60 miles through the ice and into the ocean beneath.

Really o_0? Any link with more info?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
OmniGamer said:
I also can't wait for the Europa mission, and what we may or may not discover after the probe drills/melts 60 miles through the ice and into the ocean beneath.

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE
USE THEM TOGETHER
USE THEM IN PEACE

OmniGamer

gofreak said:
Really o_0? Any link with more info?

It's briefly mentioned here near the top, but the mission links no longer work

Europa Future Landers (After Europa Orbiter > 2008)

Mission planning for future Europa landers, which might be "hydrobots" or remote controlled submarines that could melt through the ice and explore the undersea realm of Europa.

Europa Orbiter > 2008

Though the mission is 'on hold' now, its main goals are to: 1) determine the presence or absence of a subsurface ocean at Europa; 2) characterize the three-dimensional distribution of any subsurface liquid water and its overlying ice layers; 3) understand the formation of surface features, including sites of recent or current activity; and 4) identify candidate landing sites for future lander missions.

http://nai.arc.nasa.gov/institute/about_mission_2.cfm

030909_hubble_saturn_visible_02.jpg

Surprise! This picture was taken by the Hubble telescope last year. I'm really looking forward to the amazing stuff Cassini will show us, but I was impressed Hubble was able to get this great shot without ever leaving home.

Tritroid

Lucky Forward said:
030909_hubble_saturn_visible_02.jpg

Surprise! This picture was taken by the Hubble telescope last year. I'm really looking forward to the amazing stuff Cassini will show us, but I was impressed Hubble was able to get this great shot without ever leaving home.
Damn that IS a good shot. One of the clearest I've seen of Saturn.

LakeEarth

Lucky Forward said:
It's the same deal with the Apollo moon photos not showing stars. The camera exposure is set for a bright sunlit object. Unless...

OMG!!! We never went to Saturn!!!

My god, it's (not) full of stars!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mama Smurf said:
iss_010123c.jpg

Damn, what an awesome image. Io over Jupiter.

This is a Cassini shot? Most impressive. Did it capture any shots as it swung past Venus? That's one planet I can't recall seeing any images of (I'm sure some are out there, I just amn't too clued up on it).

Tritroid

Justin Bailey said:
Saturn is BY FAR the coolest planet.
I think Jupiter is the most interesting. It has the gigantic atmosphere storm that has lasted for centuries and no one's sure why or what exactly is inside the storm. It's the largest planet with the highest atmospheric pressure, and ironically enough, has the smallest core.

Alucard said:
Where's Titan located?...

Titan is Saturn's largest moon.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/overview/mission.cfm

Cassini's cloud-penetrating imaging system will also be able to map Titan, Saturn's largest moon. This is a task that none of the three previous NASA missions that flew by Titan were able to do because of the thick, hazy atmosphere that engulfs this celestial body -- the only moon in the solar system with its own atmosphere.

Scientists for the first time have made images of the surface of Saturn's giant, haze-shrouded moon, Titan. They mapped light and dark features over the surface of the satellite during nearly a complete 16-day rotation. One prominent bright area they discovered is a surface feature 2,500 miles across, about the size of the continent of Australia.

Titan, larger than Mercury and slightly smaller than Mars, is the only body in the solar system, other than Earth, that may have oceans and rainfall on its surface, albeit oceans and rain of ethane-methane rather than water. Scientists suspect that Titan's present environment -- although colder than minus 289 degrees Fahrenheit, so cold that water ice would be as hard as granite -- might be similar to that on Earth billions of years ago, before life began pumping oxygen into the atmosphere.

Pictures of Titan taken by Hubble on September 26, 1998.
titan-surface-th.jpg

full-res image

Alucard

Banned
Interesting. I really need to pick up a few books on astronomy. Any suggestions? Or maybe some websites that have good information?

Kuramu

i wish they would piece together a time lapse of the approach.

61696main_soi7-516.jpg

this image is so cool. makes you realize how immense the rings are if one of the gaps is this big. I wish we had some 3d video of this

Tritroid said:
I think Jupiter is the most interesting. It has the gigantic atmosphere storm that has lasted for centuries and no one's sure why or what exactly is inside the storm. It's the largest planet with the highest atmospheric pressure, and ironically enough, has the smallest core.

... and the core's made of Hydrogen at that.

Mama Smurf said:
iss_010123c.jpg

Damn, what an awesome image. Io over Jupiter.

That's the only image I clicked on from that page, we have similar taste :)

Alucard, also try www.space.com

I think Astronomy and Cosmology are my favorite fields ever, I discovered that fairly recently though, if I had known earlier I might have taken a different path in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom