• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

ijoC6M.jpg

Genre: Real-time Strategy
Platform: PC
Release Date: August 16th, Early Access August 1st
Price: Free-to-Play

Okay, Tek, why are we making official threads for Farmville clones?

That would be because it's not a Farmville clone.

I saw the announcement trailer and they were hyping up building your own town and crafting garbage, that's mighty Farmvillian to me.

Yes, and while it exists, the actual core of the game takes place in single-player/co-op missions and PvP, both of which play exactly how you would want an Age of Empires game to play. The crafting and building stuff takes place in a personal hub space, where you pick up Quests (which replace what you'd normally find in the AOE Campaign mode), trade, and chat with other players. Think of it like a persistent online Home City (which was already persistent) from AOE3, expanded and made the center of where you'll start your game from.

Did you say...Co-Op?!

Yes, a majority of the missions after the first few tutorial ones are able to be done co-operatively with a friend.

Fuck all this carebear shit, it's an RTS, we all know that means PLAYER VS PLAYER, so what's up with that?

Once you hit around level 5 or 6 (not long, but yes, it's not immediately available), you'll get access to both the Arena and Sparta. The Arena is where you'll set up custom matches and invite players, Sparta is essentially the "ladder" or "ranked" mode where you play for points which can be used to buy items and gear. Only people with a Premium civ can start a custom match in the Arena, but they can invite players without a premium civ freely. Everyone has open access to Sparta, but only players with a premium civ get Empire points, Free players only get Sparta points.

Now hold up, you said a few things there that I need clarification on, so I'm going to start with this one: What is this Premium civ stuff?

Premium civilizations are one of the ways that they plan to monetize the game. For 20$ you can buy a premium civilization which allows you to start custom pvp games, craft and equip rare items, get Empire points on top of Sparta points to buy gear, and extra inventory space.

WITTIF EPICS? AND GEAR?!

It sounds absolutely dreadful at first. The maximum bonus damage you'd get off a green spear is like 30% compared to 40-50% for an epic, but then you consider that you're talking about units that deal 10 points of damage and have 180-200+ hit points and despite the big percentages, it only adds up to a single point or two of bonus damage. Undoubtedly beneficiary, but the percentages greatly exaggerate the actual benefit that one gets.

And yes, there is gear. There are up to 4 slots for equipment on your units and certain buildings. These items can do anything from increase movement speed, hp, and so on.

Alright, well how many civilizations are there?

At launch there will be the Greeks and the Egyptians. Later in the year they will release the Celts and the Persians.

I need tangible proof that this really isn't some farmville clone and you're just trolling GAF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDF9ATVx--8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWxXLUsObh8

battle5.jpg

pyramid_complete.jpg

EgyptianAfternoon.jpg

So now what?

Now, use this thread to exchange GFWL (Oh hey, yeah, it requires GFWL, obviously) gamer tags. Go!

Gamertags --
GAF name - Gamertag

teepo - mr teepo
AusQB - AusQB
Dmax3901 - Dmax01
VALIS - VALIS666

Talamius

Wish there were more civs at launch. It's a steep downgrade from the massive amount in AoE3 Complete to this. Still excited for the idea of a new AoE game.

Salsa

thread title gives me hope. Wasnt really feeling this one but the look is great. AOE going the Warcraft III route

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I spent dozens of hours playing the game during Closed Beta.

Fucking awesome, despite all the social bullshit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The little of the beta I played before I gave up since my laptop couldn't run it well wasn't too bad. It's definitely not AoE as people know it, which I'm sure attracts ire but it isn't a bad game in it's own right. I'm not too fond of RTS though, so I'm probably going to avoid the PvP element if/when I get around to playing it again. :p

gillty

Banned
Dmax3901 said:
So is the beta still going? And how do you get early access on August 1st?
Beta ended on July 1st, early access is for beta testers, although I haven't gotten any emails for early access.

Wow, looks great. Been years since I've played an AoE title.

Definitely interested, will no doubt give it a look when it drops.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Valru said:
Beta ended on July 1st, early access is for beta testers, although I haven't gotten any emails for early access.

Me either, wth.

Dmax3901

Cool. I was invited to the beta and redeemed the code but never got around to downloading it, which I regret after reading this OT. Hopefully I'll still get early access.

Mik2121

Cool, but Tek please downscale those pics a tiny bit. I have a 1920x1080 resolution screen (I know, not the largest one ever but still..) and even I had to scroll horizontally to read some of the phrases in the title.

jogarrr

Damn, I was in the beta and didn't get an early access invite. :(

Granted, I only played for like an hour during beta.. still jealous of those who get early access though :p

I'll give it a shot on the 16th.

Heysoos

Beta was so much fun. I'm not going to lie though, I gave up on it multiple times because I could never complete the build 10 farms in less than some minutes quest. D:

Sora

How was the performance in the beta? As a free game it is expected to be not hardware demanding, but when it's maxed how it performed on your PC?

"How was the performance in the beta? As a free game it is expected to be not hardware demanding, but when it's maxed how it performed on your PC?"

Performance was pretty much a non-issue for me. Max settings, gobs of AA, not even a single hitch. It's not a terribly high-tech game (it uses the AOE3 engine, IIRC), it's really carried by its art style.

AusQB

The_Player said:
How can I become part of the Early Access?
If you participated in the beta, you will receive an invitation email. If not, you will have to wait like the rest.

AusQB said:
If you participated in the beta, you will receive an invitation email. If not, you will have to wait like the rest.
I got into the beta but never had time to play it since it came out in a wrong time, I suppose. Will give it a go when it releases.

inky

Sora said:
How was the performance in the beta? As a free game it is expected to be not hardware demanding, but when it's maxed how it performed on your PC?

I maxed it @ 1080p - 60fps with a C2D e8400 and a 9600GT (it replaced temporarily my 460gtx that just died). I think I only kept shadows 1 notch down.

Performance for me was better than expected.

I have been in the beta since alpha and it is such a great game. The improvements they have made while being in development are great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great. I'm sad I was never able to get into the beta test, but I'll be happy to join you all later in August.

Sora

Teknopathetic said:
"How was the performance in the beta? As a free game it is expected to be not hardware demanding, but when it's maxed how it performed on your PC?"

Performance was pretty much a non-issue for me. Max settings, gobs of AA, not even a single hitch. It's not a terribly high-tech game (it uses the AOE3 engine, IIRC), it's really carried by its art style.

inky said:
I maxed it @ 1080p - 60fps with a C2D e8400 and a 9600GT (it replaced temporarily my 460gtx that just died). I think I only kept shadows 1 notch down.

Performance for me was better than expected.

I would never think it uses the AOE3 engine, the art direction is simply amazing. Glad to see it runs pretty smooth on your PC's, even when the settings are maxed out.

Bentendo

Since this game uses the Age of Empires III engine, I'm expecting it to run similarly, right? Well, this worries me since "Can You Run It" says that my laptop meets the MINIMUM requirements for AoE3 but not the RECOMMENDED requirements. It says the recommended CPU is a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP when I have a AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor. Should I have a problem?

AusQB

Bentendo said:
Since this game uses the Age of Empires III engine, I'm expecting it to run similarly, right? Well, this worries me since "Can You Run It" says that my laptop meets the MINIMUM requirements for AoE3 but not the RECOMMENDED requirements. It says the recommended CPU is a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP when I have a AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor. Should I have a problem?
I think you'll be fine.

AusQB said:
Weird, I haven't gotten my invite yet and I played a few times. Maybe "a few times" wasn't enough to be invited for early access? :(
EDIT: Oh wait they haven't been sent out yet. Reading fail.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I played the beta like once. At a time when I was too busy to sink my teeth into it. Man this game looks pretty. I hope I get early access being in the beta and all.

Did they fix the game-breaking slowdown when scrolling over a huge, packed city? That was the point where I stopped playing the beta. It wasn't minor framerate hiccups, it was literally 2fps kind of slowdown. I'm 90% sure this was optimized because it was all over the forums at the time but want to make sure.

Top Bottom