• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

Xane

Looks awesome but I don't really like the idea of how they try to monetize the game.
Sounds more like Pay To Win to me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It sounds silly to say it but this is basically Age of Empires to a T. Any additions put in to this seems to go hand-in-hand with what AoE should have headed in to anyway.

It looks beautiful and outside of the monetizing schemes in place I can see myself spending a lot of spare time on this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I received an invitation to the beta about a year ago, but I can't remember if I redeemed my key. The e-mail is long gone too.

Edit: It would appear I didn't. Fuck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was in the beta back when the ex ensemble guys were still on it, it definitely showed promise back then.

I'm deeply concerned about GPG's involvement though, they are an utterly rubbish studio.

Neo Child

Banned
So I played the Beta quite a bit, really liked it.

One thing that bugged me is that I couldn't figure out how to play a custom match against someone classic style with access to all units/buildings etc.. is this possible?

Bossman

Xane said:
Looks awesome but I don't really like the idea of how they try to monetize the game.
Sounds more like Pay To Win to me.

You only need to pay 20 dollars if you want to be competitive.

Wes

venison crêpe
I am really looking forward to this. Going to be one of my games of the year. I really enjoyed the beta.

Wes - WesVillain

PaulLFC

Has anyone recieved early access info or keys yet? I have the client installed from a previous beta, but no email yet. Tried running the old launcher and it just sits there doing nothing at the moment, with the Play button greyed out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
PaulLFC said:
Has anyone recieved early access info or keys yet? I have the client installed from a previous beta, but no email yet. Tried running the old launcher and it just sits there doing nothing at the moment, with the Play button greyed out.
I don't have my code yet too.

They've mentioned in the official forums that they'll be sending waves of emails over the next couple of days.

I remember playing the game for many hours during closed beta and it felt like I was playing a tutorial level all the time, it basically treated me as a beginner to RTS games, even though I've played all the AoEs. I just couldn't take it anymore. Has the balancing/tutorial been improved at all?

cwmartin

Okay, here's a gripe. This game doesn't have any kind of online portal/login or anything. I don't have GFWL client installed, and I want to see if there's a way I have access early. Logging in at gamesforwindows.com just takes me to a poorly managed and un-detailed game page. Do I really have to download the GFW client just to see anything about my account and this game? Good lord.

"Okay, here's a gripe. This game doesn't have any kind of online portal/login or anything. I don't have GFWL client installed, and I want to see if there's a way I have access early. Logging in at gamesforwindows.com just takes me to a poorly managed and un-detailed game page. Do I really have to download the GFW client just to see anything about my account and this game? Good lord."

They will email you if you get access early.

ElRenoRaven

Teknopathetic said:
"Okay, here's a gripe. This game doesn't have any kind of online portal/login or anything. I don't have GFWL client installed, and I want to see if there's a way I have access early. Logging in at gamesforwindows.com just takes me to a poorly managed and un-detailed game page. Do I really have to download the GFW client just to see anything about my account and this game? Good lord."

They will email you if you get access early.

Yup They sent out emails saying if you were selected and that you would be getting instructions on how to download it today or sometime around today. And very nice thread by the way.

ElRenoRaven

cwmartin said:
Thanks guys. Still wish there was some type of main hub i could log into and see account details etc.

Understandable. If you beta tested did you check Microsoft connect site? I didn't think of checking that but you never know. In fact I may take a look now.

*Edit* nope. Just the old default page there. Oh well.

cwmartin

PsychoRaven said:
Understandable. If you beta tested did you check Microsoft connect site? I didn't think of checking that but you never know. In fact I may take a look now.

*Edit* nope. Just the old default page there. Oh well.

Yeah I did beta test for a good week, but the idea of having ranked matches and skirmishes ranked in the Empires franchise entices me back. didn't care for the social/city building garbage at all.

ElRenoRaven

cwmartin said:
Yeah I did beta test for a good week, but the idea of having ranked matches and skirmishes ranked in the Empires franchise entices me back. didn't care for the social/city building garbage at all.

Yea. It's just a weird game. It's like RTS that wants to be an MMO. I liked doing the actual leveling and have never been big on PVP myself. It's going to be interesting to see the actual differences between beta test and retail. It will be interesting to see what is locked away now that maybe wasn't in beta and how much different things will cost if you want to buy them.

For me I'll probably stay free though since I'm not a hardcore RTS fan. I more dabble then anything.

VALIS

Niiiice. Can't wait for this!

gamertag: VALIS666

I was in the beta when it first started and played for a few months. Really enjoyed it, too. This is classic AoE gameplay with new paint and some new bells and whistles. I can see myself putting in 100+ hours with this like I did with the previous three games in the series.

ElRenoRaven

Just got my email. It comes with a redemption code to enter on xbox.com. Then a link to the installer. Although that seems to be for the GFWL marketplace and don't work. Luckily I already had that installed and just went into my purchase history to download it.

Installs then it's the launcher like during the beta but a bit more retail looking. Now it's installing the files from the launcher.

PaulLFC

PsychoRaven said:
Just got my email. It comes with a redemption code to enter on xbox.com. Then a link to the installer. Although that seems to be for the GFWL marketplace and don't work. Luckily I already had that installed and just went into my purchase history to download it.

Installs then it's the launcher like during the beta but a bit more retail looking. Now it's installing the files from the launcher.

No email for me :( Guess it's time to play the waiting game for a few days...

ElRenoRaven

PaulLFC said:
No email for me :( Guess it's time to play the waiting game for a few days...

I'd be patient. It takes some time to send them all out. I'd be willing to bet you get yours by the end of the night.

ElRenoRaven

So far it's like you remember it.

There are 2 English realms then a 4 other foreign language realms. It plays the same. There are some sound effect changes but nothing major. Pretty much if you were there at the end of the beta then it's like you never left.

The servers are

Athens - English
Marathon - English
Attica - French
Corinth - Italian
Delphi - German
Gesa - Spanish
Heraclion- Chinese

The only downside is this right now.

For the Pre-Release only,It can take up to
two minutes to launch the game.

So once you hit play it takes a bit to actually load it up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How are the system requirements? My girlfriend loved AoE, and is running a Sony Vaio VPCYB23KDP.

AMD E-350 (1.6GHZ)
2GB RAM
Integrated AMD 6310

dorkimoe

Loved the beta. Got overwhelmed with some of the stuff in the main city. Some of the timed quests got hard.

Cant wait for launch

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lyphen said:
How are the system requirements? My girlfriend loved AoE, and is running a Sony Vaio VPCYB23KDP.

AMD E-350 (1.6GHZ)
2GB RAM
Integrated AMD 6310

That processor is just barely above netbook level and integrated graphics? Yea it might *run* but it won't be playable.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sinatar said:
That processor is just barely above netbook level and integrated graphics? Yea it might *run* but it won't be playable.
Well, just did a little research (anandtech review), and I think it'll be fine barring any weird performance issues in-game. Apparently it'll run DoW at 25 FPS on low, SC2 at 50 and World of Warcraft at 30. Different resolution in their benchmarks, but it gives hope. Hooray!

ElRenoRaven

So now that I've spent some time with it I have to say. It's ok.

As a RTS it's ok. It's not as good as the old series. It's very limited unless you buy civilization packs. That's for damn sure. Course I don't fault them for trying to make some money.

Overall it's ok to kill time with. I could see buying 1 civilization pack but that's about it.

Quixzlizx

I'm interested, especially since I like co-op in RTS games more than competitive, but I don't really want to install GFWL just for one game.

Top Bottom