• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

Atomski

Hmm I got a email a few days ago saying I would get a prerelease invite.. yet I have still haven't got one invite. Anyone else still waiting?

AusQB

Atomski said:
Hmm I got a email a few days ago saying I would get a prerelease invite.. yet I have still haven't got one invite. Anyone else still waiting?
I'm still waiting for the first email.

Coen

AusQB said:
I'm still waiting for the first email.

Haha, me too.
I signed up ages ago. It must have been over a year ago. And I still haven't gotten a single response/invite/rejection.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Same for me, I was in the beta and have not received an email yet.

Wes

venison crêpe
I only got my invite today. Judging by the chat window lots of giddy people also got theirs when I got mine.

AusQB

Maybe they're sending out invites in tune with when people signed up for and accessed the beta. So the early adopters will get in first and the latecomers will have to wait a little bit longer.

ElRenoRaven

Hari Seldon said:
Damnit I should have went into Beta. Is it an invite only pre-release or can you pony up some cash and get in?

Invite only. Some of the Beta testers got it. I don't think all did. I know retail release is the 16th so those that don't make it don't have long to wait. They also said they were sending out the keys to those who did in waves.

Right now each civilization pro pack is 20 bucks and then some other stuff is a few bucks. BatsyBatsy or Batgirl as most know her said that there should be some bundles on the stuff after launch.

And why would anyone pick anything but Athens? After all it's the best. We have such a good group on there. lol

Acidote

I got my invite and key too:

Welcome to the Age of Empires Online pre-release program!
In this email you will find your access code, instructions on how to download the pre-release version of Age of Empires Online, and the offers that are available in the pre-release program.

Access code:

Wes

venison crêpe
Pat said:
How can you be part of this pre-release thing?

Some of the people who participated in the beta have been included in the pre-release. Invites are going out in waves.

ElRenoRaven

Wes said:
Some of the people who participated in the beta have been included in the pre-release. Invites are going out in waves.

Yup. There was a contest running to of some sort for a key or two but I don't know any of the details. Really it's better to wait till release anyway. After release they plan to have some bundles on the pay stuff which could save you some money. Right now you have to buy the civilizations and other stuff for full price.

ElRenoRaven

SuperAndroid17 said:
Hows the music here?

I remember loving the AoE 2/3 OST's , any homages?

Honestly couldn't tell you. I always play with the music off. Even did way back when on the older ones.

SamVimes

I played a couple of weeks when this was in beta, did they add the stats for the units after all? Or numbers still confuse people?

I played a couple days of the Beta, but no pre-release email for me. I wonder if they required that you play on some of those certain play-times they sent emails out for to get the early access?

Either way, I'm pretty excited to play a new Age of Empires. I think I might go digging for my old AoE2 cds this weekend. I've looked before, but there's no digital re-release of AoE2, right?

blitz64

Can I play coopertive with my friends if we pick different civiliazations? I pick Egyptians, they pick Greek. Or do we need to pick the same civilization for coop?

"Can I play coopertive with my friends if we pick different civiliazations? I pick Egyptians, they pick Greek. Or do we need to pick the same civilization for coop?"

That's a good question. I want to say it shouldn't matter, the other civ just won't get any of the quest benefits.

blitz64

Are there servers or realms in this game? Do we have to pick the same server/realm in order to play together?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
This whole free to play thing is turning out to be really awesome. I can check it out before I put any money on it. I've been playing Leagues and needed something different to sink my teeth into. This is right up my alley.

I did play a match or two in the beta, but never got any early access email. I'm eager for the 16th! (For too many reasons)

They're adding two more civilizations and then there's the various little packs like Defense of Crete and Skirmish pack. Dunno what else they have planned.

demolitio

Teknopathetic said:
They're adding two more civilizations and then there's the various little packs like Defense of Crete and Skirmish pack. Dunno what else they have planned.

Hopefully the Romans to fill the void in my heart. I don't want to have to wait until another Total War game based on Rome...

The Greeks have always interested me though. I kinda wished I played the beta more but didn't get a chance to put some serious time into due to the server time restrictions.

"Hopefully the Romans to fill the void in my heart. I don't want to have to wait until another Total War game based on Rome..."

Celts and Persians.

demolitio

Teknopathetic said:
"Hopefully the Romans to fill the void in my heart. I don't want to have to wait until another Total War game based on Rome..."

Celts and Persians.
Well, the void remains then. :D

The Celts are an interesting choice though so I'll have to check them out. Maybe I can learn a thing or two about them since the rest I know all about.

I'm starting to enjoy more and more F2P games and it's kind of nice for when I'm bored. LOTRO takes care of my MMO craving while I wait for GW2, this will take care of my Rise of Nations 2 craving that will never happen, CivWorld is sadly keeping me busy on FB, World of Tanks gets my vehicular mayhem needs met, etc. etc.

As far as RTS games go, Total War is what I mostly play now but I really miss RoN and I'll take anything that's similar to that. Is AoE Online meaty enough to keep people playing you think? I only had a very limited time in the beta.

AusQB

NBtoaster said:
Do you get anything extra from buying the retail version?

In addition to purchasing online, you can purchase at retail. The Exclusive Greek Pack Includes:

Premium Greek civilization—unlock the power of Rare and Epic items, Advisors to enhance your civilization, the Player vs. Player Arena, awesome technologies, and much more!
Give your civilization an edge with the exclusive Windy’s Wild Widgets Store, where you can buy or sell special ability items.
Hotkey quick reference card.
Limited-edition poster and Advisor cards.
Instructions to download the free-to-play experience.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
AusQB said:
If you participated in the beta, you will receive an invitation email. If not, you will have to wait like the rest.

Yeah, I still haven't received my invitation. The assholes. =(

Ok i'm confused, someone explain this to me:

So you get ONE premium civ for 20 bucks then? Say you want the persians you pay 20 bucks then?

What if you want the celts later on TOO? you pay 20 bucks AGAIN PER CIV then?

and another question i have is, will F2P players even stand a chance against Premium ones then?

Also: how good is this game truly underneath the hood(bells and whistles aside) when compared to AOE 1 +2 for someone that truly played those games competitively? I used to spend tons of time in those games, i was rated 2000+ in AOE1, those were the days :)

VALIS

MiniKelly said:
They just posted the game comes out 12am PST. So around 12 hours from now.

Oooh! Looks like I'm not getting much sleep tonight. *takes another giant slurp off his iced coffee*

"Ok i'm confused, someone explain this to me:

So you get ONE premium civ for 20 bucks then? Say you want the persians you pay 20 bucks then?

What if you want the celts later on TOO? you pay 20 bucks AGAIN PER CIV then?

and another question i have is, will F2P players even stand a chance against Premium ones then?

Also: how good is this game truly underneath the hood(bells and whistles aside) when compared to AOE 1 +2 for someone that truly played those games competitively? I used to spend tons of time in those games, i was rated 2000+ in AOE1, those were the days :)"

Yes, you need to pay 20$ per civ.

No, F2P players don't stand a chance. If you want to play competitively, you need to have a Premium civ. The game underneath is very good, IMO as a fan of all the AOE games, but I never played any of the AOE games competitively.

VALIS

Legato.Reborn- said:
Sad they're doing the "money buys power" thing.

I just don't like that. :/

It's more like a "money buys the full game" thing. Don't forget the initial cost is $0.

MiniKelly

Pricing is similar to starcraft2.

Starcraft2. Get 3 races to play online for $60.

AOEO. Get 1 civilization for $20.

If you want balance rts online pvp game. Get starcraft 2.

If you want an mmo rts game. Get AoEO

MiniKelly said:
Pricing is similar to starcraft2.

Starcraft2. Get 3 races to play online for $60.

AOEO. Get 1 civilization for $20.

They will have more than 3 Civs though, as well as boosters like "Defense of Crete". The pricing is really its own thing.

ok got it, but then what if later on they bring out like 10 civs?

I mean i get that you only NEED one to play the game online competitively, however the OLD AOEs had ALL civs at your disposal. You were free to pick whichever you wanted for just 50 bucks TOTAL the game cost initially, so fuck that system unless they only plan to bring out like 3 civs MAX!

Top Bottom