• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

Rodney McKay said:
I really need to learn how to group dudes in this (or any) RTS. All I want is to be able to select my ranged, melee, and healers independently of each other. It's really annoying that the healers (Priestess of Ra I think) don't automatically heal all the time when they're grouped in with a crowd of my guys.

Select the guys you want to group, press CTRL + a number to group, press that number to select them at any time. Also double clicking a unit will select all units of that type in the area.

Evil Benius said:
Select the guys you want to group, press CTRL + a number to group, press that number to select them at any time. Also double clicking a unit will select all units of that type in the area.
Sweet, thank you. In all honesty the only RTS I've played much of before this one was Halo Wars. :D

Little bit of a learning curve going from "ALL UNITS, LOCAL UNITS" to all the crazy shit you can do in PC RTS's.

They need to add a menu which allows you to select all units of a certain type. This way I wont have to look all around my map for my scout. Right now my control over units is so bad im basically just doing mass rushes lol.

Is there a way to pause the game whilst looking at the world? I think thats the only way im going to be able to micromanage myself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bobs99 ... said:
They need to add a menu which allows you to select all units of a certain type. This way I wont have to look all around my map for my scout. Right now my control over units is so bad im basically just doing mass rushes lol.

Is there a way to pause the game whilst looking at the world? I think thats the only way im going to be able to micromanage myself.

It's ridiculous that, when selecting a huge group of multiple unit types, you cannot click on the portrait of a single unit type to select only that unit type. Very unintuitive.

Zefah said:
It's ridiculous that, when selecting a huge group of multiple unit types, you cannot click on the portrait of a single unit type to select only that unit type. Very unintuitive.
Try CTRL clicking it instead. ;)

inky

Zefah said:

Double click select all samey units on screen. Ctrl + click selects all samey units across the map.

All this confusion and frustration could have been avoided with some smart user centered design choices.

I would have loved to have the option of having button overlays on the hud, or maybe a dynamic onscreen hotkey list that changes depending on the current situation or on what button is currently held down.

I know the AoE franchise is pretty old school, but since this one seems to be trying to reach out to a wider audience it would have been a really smart thing to do to have some "My first RTS" features in it. It does ease you into the game slowly with missions that try to teach you the basics, but I'm around level 6 or 7 and I've still been using the mouse for everything.

Quick question, how do you harvest cows? I have spotted a few of them but other than take them to my city I dont know what to do with them. Ive tried to get villagers to interact with them but nothing happens.

inky

Huh? Just like hunting. Select a villager, right-click cow, watch cow get slaughtered and turned into tasty steaks =)

inky said:
Huh? Just like hunting. Select a villager, right-click cow, watch cow get slaughtered and turned into tasty steaks =)

I tried that a load, my villagers just seemed to stare at the thing. Meh I probably did something wrong, ill try again next game.

VALIS

Rodney McKay said:
All this confusion and frustration could have been avoided with some smart user centered design choices.

I would have loved to have the option of having button overlays on the hud, or maybe a dynamic onscreen hotkey list that changes depending on the current situation or on what button is currently held down.

I know the AoE franchise is pretty old school, but since this one seems to be trying to reach out to a wider audience it would have been a really smart thing to do to have some "My first RTS" features in it. It does ease you into the game slowly with missions that try to teach you the basics, but I'm around level 6 or 7 and I've still been using the mouse for everything.

One of the few places I think they dropped the ball with this game is the documentation, specifically the lack of it. Clicking on the AoEO handbook in the game menu takes you out of the game and to the interactive handbook on the official website, which is bareboned. There's so much going on in this game with the way it's structured, all the items, different stores, different modes, on and on, yet to get answers to 90% of your questions, you're gonna be searching forums.

falastini

bobs99 ... said:
Quick question, how do you harvest cows? I have spotted a few of them but other than take them to my city I dont know what to do with them. Ive tried to get villagers to interact with them but nothing happens.

You have to "claim" them. Then you can control them, harvest them, whatever.

You do that by moving a unit close to them. You can lose "claim" if they're left alone and somebody else "claims" them.

edit: sounds like you lost control of them for some reason. try moving a military unit near it

VALIS said:
One of the few places I think they dropped the ball with this game is the documentation, specifically the lack of it. Clicking on the AoEO handbook in the game menu takes you out of the game and to the interactive handbook on the official website, which is bareboned. There's so much going on in this game with the way it's structured, all the items, different stores, different modes, on and on, yet to get answers to 90% of your questions, you're gonna be searching forums.
Exactly. Over the course of an hour and 1 post I've already learned 2 things (unit grouping, unit type selection) that will greatly increase my control over this game.

yukonrye

Has anyone progressed far enough with a premium civ to know what the "end game" is like? I'm not really into PvP and I am hesitant to buy in until I know what sort of sp/co-op content is available in the long run.

If I do buy a civ it's hands down going to be the Celts above the other three.

PsychoRaven said:
It's a glitch. Has to do with something not being updated properly. Might check the AOE online forums on the site. How to fix it was posted there I think.

The fix was to go to xbox.com and check out my downloads, and AOE Online would be there. But it's not oO

Did they put the cheat codes back in? Watching a Z28 Camaro decimate a pyramid with a stinger missile is probably the funniest thing in gaming. Don't even get me started on the baby with a shotgun. Of the "big three" RTS franchises, AOE is my favorite, so good on this.

Clemsontigers35 said:
Did they put the cheat codes back in? Watching a Z28 Camaro decimate a pyramid with a stinger missile is probably the funniest thing in gaming. Don't even get me started on the baby with a shotgun. Of the "big three" RTS franchises, AOE is my favorite, so good on this.

I though you were joking lol.

bigdaddy.gif

Rodney McKay said:
Sweet, thank you. In all honesty the only RTS I've played much of before this one was Halo Wars. :D

Little bit of a learning curve going from "ALL UNITS, LOCAL UNITS" to all the crazy shit you can do in PC RTS's.
Welcome to the mouse and keyboard, brother.

inky

Clemsontigers35 said:

Those were the days =)

Pepperoni pizza
woodstock
gaia
black death
i r winner

hehehe

This is a great game. Although it kind of maddens me in a way that they've taken the basics of aoe2 and just turned every already included tech tree item into an MMO grind....but I still love it. Going to buy a premium civ I think.

Cheech

elrechazao said:
This is a great game. Although it kind of maddens me in a way that they've taken the basics of aoe2 and just turned every already included tech tree item into an MMO grind....but I still love it. Going to buy a premium civ I think.

I tried the "Defense of Crete" last night (they let you do one as a demo), and I am almost wishing I would have bought both the Greeks and Egyptians and gotten that as a promo freebie. I am gonna spend the $10. It's a lot of fun, and the loot can be REALLY good.

Cheech said:
I tried the "Defense of Crete" last night (they let you do one as a demo), and I am almost wishing I would have bought both the Greeks and Egyptians and gotten that as a promo freebie. I am gonna spend the $10. It's a lot of fun, and the loot can be REALLY good.
If my friend spends $10 on Defense of Crete, can I play the full version with him?

Or do both of us have to buy it? That would be super super lame.

This game is fun, but I keep getting frustrated at how clumsy it is to micro units. This is no Starcraft, and it's taken me a while to change my Starcraft-focused RTS habits.

Basically I've given up trying to efficiently manage battles - now I just focus on macro, a-move my units and forget about them. It also really, really annoys me that I can't see at a glance what I have assigned to each numbered hotkey.

Revengeance said:
This game is fun, but I keep getting frustrated at how clumsy it is to micro units. This is no Starcraft, and it's taken me a while to change my Starcraft-focused RTS habits.

Basically I've given up trying to efficiently manage battles - now I just focus on macro, a-move my units and forget about them. It also really, really annoys me that I can't see at a glance what I have assigned to each numbered hotkey.
aoe series has been all about setting up a more complicated economy than starcraft and its type of games, which economy allows you to make the right types of units in a rock paper scissors style combat system, rather than microing a smaller amount of units. tldr - econ > micro.

elrechazao said:
aoe series has been all about setting up a more complicated economy than starcraft and its type of games, which economy allows you to make the right types of units in a rock paper scissors style combat system, rather than microing a smaller amount of units. tldr - econ > micro.
Yeah, learning that. One lesson from Starcraft that seems to carry over is ALWAYS BE BUILDING WORKERS. I put my town center on the 3 hotkey, just like my Nexus in SC2, and just constantly hit 3a.

Also, regarding cows, obviously the correct thing to do is collect them all, and have a constant cow party in the center of town. NEVER KILL THEM. Cow collecting is always my #1 priority. lol

ElRenoRaven

Revengeance said:
Yeah, learning that. One lesson from Starcraft that seems to carry over is ALWAYS BE BUILDING WORKERS. I put my town center on the 3 hotkey, just like my Nexus in SC2, and just constantly hit 3a.

Also, regarding cows, obviously the correct thing to do is collect them all, and have a constant cow party in the center of town. NEVER KILL THEM. Cow collecting is always my #1 priority. lol

Meh. I stick with 25. 5 stone, 5 wood, 5 food, 5 gold, and 5 for building. It works nicely for me. I can gather all my stuff and build multiple things at once. Then after getting everything built I need I put the builders on wood. Same with Stone when I run out of stone to mine. It's nice to roll in on the objective with 175 man army and just obliterate them. lol

Building workers is even more important in AoE games than it is in Starcraft. AoE has never had very compelling combat and this one proudly continues the attack-move tradition. At best you will be dodging some catapult shots.

The more the merrier, really, because in AoE you can convert one resource into another, often in multiple ways. For example, most maps have a virtually unlimited amount of wood, and you can turn wood into food via farms and fishing boats. You can turn food into gold and stone by building more workers for those. And of course you can use the market to convert any resource into another at a cost.

So it obviously doesn't matter if you just want to get through the missions (whatever works) but when improving your game building more workers is huge.

I also want to say, I think the Season Pass is a marketing disaster. One of the fundamental laws of a F2P game is that buying everything will cost more than a box game, often by FAR. You NEVER want to present the consumer with this cost totaled up. It's complete sticker shock.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/06/10

Imagine if LoL had a lifetime pass for $350 or something (which is a discount from buying all the stuff in that game!). It would turn off a LOT of people, even though in that game you can theoretically grind out all that content (no one is going to).

Cheech

FieryBalrog said:
I also want to say, I think the Season Pass is a marketing disaster. One of the fundamental laws of a F2P game is that buying everything will cost more than a box game, often by FAR. You NEVER want to present the consumer with this cost totaled up. It's complete sticker shock.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/06/10

Imagine if LoL had a lifetime pass for $350 or something (which is a discount from buying all the stuff in that game!). It would turn off a LOT of people, even though in that game you can theoretically grind out all that content (no one is going to).

What I don't get is who the Season Pass is supposed to appeal to. You're buying "stuff" that isn't even released yet. I would wager the vast majority of people are going to spend $20 with this game, and that is the whole enchilada.

I recently had a game with someone who wasn't highly competitive. He wanted to build up his forces and tech up and all that, instead of following a specific build order and rushing. The game lasted for over 90 minutes.

It was totally awesome. I've always wanted to play a RTS game with someone like that and I never get the chance. We both reached our population limits easily and by the end, most of the map was emptied of it's resources. When the army of one player died, the other player still couldn't win because both bases were surrounded by several layers of walls and guard towers.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Ventilaator said:
I recently had a game with someone who wasn't highly competitive. He wanted to build up his forces and tech up and all that, instead of following a specific build order and rushing. The game lasted for over 90 minutes.

It was totally awesome. I've always wanted to play a RTS game with someone like that and I never get the chance. We both reached our population limits easily and by the end, most of the map was emptied of it's resources. When the army of one player died, the other player still couldn't win because both bases were surrounded by several layers of walls and guard towers.

This is how my friends and I play AoE 2. Much more fun to have one giant battle.

ElRenoRaven

Cheech said:
What I don't get is who the Season Pass is supposed to appeal to. You're buying "stuff" that isn't even released yet. I would wager the vast majority of people are going to spend $20 with this game, and that is the whole enchilada.

I think they might spend a little more. I could see 40 bucks for most and done. That would be two civs.

Mkliner

Clemsontigers35 said:

I always loved playing the game for a bit and then making an army of shotgun tricycle babies led by the rocket launching car and just crushing everyone.

Ithil

I've always loved the AOE series since it first came out, and Age of Mythlogy is still my favourite ever RTS games (memories of 3 hour+ 3v3 LAN battles are still fresh), so I'm enjoying playing this so far, though it feels a bit clunkier than AOM did.

I haven't even played against a player yet, but I can see how this would be good for long term play.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
About to go ahead and grab the Egyptians but I'm curious if the PVP is pretty active. During the beta it seemed like there was barely anyone playing tier 3 and higher PVP.

MiniKelly

I am disappointed that there is no 3v3 or 4v4. I remember playing that in aoe1 and was looking forward to play with my friends.

Is there a plan to add this in the future?

I think this is the only RTS I can enjoy while eating pretzels and listening to a podcast.

It's pretty mindless and there are a lot of flaws, but it's fun and online makes so much of a difference even if it theoretically shouldn't. Psychologically it's just way more interesting to me to keep playing when I can seamlessly interact with other people and build up a persistent online presence. =/

ElRenoRaven

FieryBalrog said:
I think this is the only RTS I can enjoy while eating pretzels and listening to a podcast.

It's pretty mindless and there are a lot of flaws, but it's fun and online makes so much of a difference even if it theoretically shouldn't. Psychologically it's just way more interesting to me to keep playing when I can seamlessly interact with other people and build up a persistent online presence. =/

Yup. It's without a doubt not perfect but for a quick hour here and there to kill it's damn fun.

The more I play this game, some of the initial sheen is wearing off. I guess my ongoing feeling towards it will depend on how well some of these problems are addressed, presumably the MMO part of it will call for ongoing patching and support and fixed alongside the DLC coming down the pipeline.

-Co-op becomes much, much choppier and sufferes from frame rate drops compared to playing by yourself. It's really not conducive to a good co-op experience.

-The co-op problems already mentioned (one partner can't see quest objectives and so on) are still a little frustrating.

-Pathfinding is atrocious. My friend and I were trying a co-op naval mission together and we were trying to get 20 of our triremes through a narrow channel. It resulted in a hilarious yet aggravating traffic clusterfuck that took nearly a whole minute of co-ordinated manual fiddling to disentangle. This is just one example, the boat pathfinding is in general terrible and the ground pathfinding is better but not by a whole lot.

-the Attack move command seems to have very few, if any, priorities. That means my units will as soon attack move a wall as the guard tower standing right next to it.

-Attack move is often broken. For example, attack moving 10 triremes to a location near an enemy will result in the first 4 or 5 triremes attacking that enemy, but the ones towards the back will just sit there, not moving or attacking. Right clicking on that specific enemy will force them to go in and attack.

-There is no reason for most maps to start with just 5 villagers. That might make sense for the multiplayer, but in single-player why not just start the player off with 10 or 15 once the missions get going. You need several dozen villagers, so why not speed it up a little. The first 3 or 4 minutes of each mission is just setting up your villagers yet again.

-Why on earth is there no audio cue when your units are under attack? In that same naval mission with my friend, there were two separate occasions where an enemy trireme fleet demolished all my boats while I was managing my base and I didn't even notice.

A lot of this fairly basic RTS stuff (pathfinding, audio attack cues, attack move) and I hope it gets fixed quickly.

Top Bottom