• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

I'm freakin hooked on this game. Added it to Steam's library and it works like a charm. My Greek city is up to about 16, with primary focus on infantry. Does anyone know how the veteran units work? My Hyapists (sp) are now veterans, and I'm not really sure why.

(._.)

Banned
First impressions are ok. GFWL was a little annoying setting up an account for but I'm all in now. You can't change graphics options at the start menu either but it's now at 1080p so all is good. Graphics are pretty and I'm getting back into aoe which I haven't played since around 2001. This game so far is actually pretty good.

VALIS

I'm quite happy with how well this game plays relative to the hardware it's on. Tried it on my laptop last night for the first time and it plays surprisingly well on max settings (minus water reflections) on my lower-mid level Toshiba Satellite. Sure, it's not a technical marvel, but even with the cartoonish look it's no slouch, and RTSes usually need a lot of horsepower because of how much is going on at once. Nice that I can carry my progress around where ever I am.

HiddenSentry said:
I'm freakin hooked on this game. Added it to Steam's library and it works like a charm. My Greek city is up to about 16, with primary focus on infantry. Does anyone know how the veteran units work? My Hyapists (sp) are now veterans, and I'm not really sure why.

Did you unlock the veteran option in the tech tree in your palace?

GDHamell

Unconfirmed Member
I was in the beta, too. Been a fan since AoE I, but the AOEO is lacking a little. Plus, I despise games with cash shops.

Once they release the Celts I'll consider playing it again... wish I didn't have to install GFWL.

Started playing this last night after hearing about it on the Bombcast and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Ended up buying the Premium Greek pack around Level 5 when I got a blue (was planning on buying it anyway by the time I got to 10). Have not played an AoE game since the demo for II, but it is definitely hitting some nostalgia for me.

Kind of pissed though that I found out about the retail box after I got the Greek pack online. I love to own the boxes for my games, but it seems there is only a retail version with the Greeks and not the Egyptians. Maybe I will just buy it and give the code to a friend to try to get him playing.

params7

Banned
There would be some MAJOR hype around this game if it didn't come with the premium/F2P BS. The whole complete game down the road, with say 6 civs or more they'll end releasing, will cost MORE than 60$.

Really fun game otherwise.

ChiefKief said:
I really really really REALLY love the AoE series, but at $99 for some DLC, that's no dice.

There is really no need to buy it all, for $20 you pretty much get a complete game unless you want to play as multiple sides.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Evil Benius said:
There is really no need to buy it all, for $20 you pretty much get a complete game unless you want to play as multiple sides.

Unfortunately the differences between the civs are closer to AoM than they are AoE, meaning each civ will play significantly different instead of just having different attributes and a unique unit to separate them. There's a huge incentive to play multiple civs.

I'm still going to end up buying the Egyptians at some point because I loved how they played in AoM and it's similar here but they are definitely charging way too much for this stuff.

VALIS

params7 said:
There would be some MAJOR hype around this game if it didn't come with the premium/F2P BS.

I'm not sure about that. AoE3 sold well and reviewed well, but it was distinct step down in both areas compared to AoE2. AoE3's reputation has rebounded in the last few years, but I remember a LOT of complaints about it back then, on this forum as well.

Now six years after AoE3, Ensemble gone/re-worked into Robot, a lot of PC gamers not having the greatest opinion of MS as it relates to PC gaming, I think a new AoE at $50/60 might have been a real tough sell for anyone but the diehards. I think this "come and get a taste, see for yourself" approach was a much better idea.

dejay

Banned
Maybe I'm dense - how do I sell stuff in the general store? There's an undo sell button there, but I can't seem to sell anything. I need to sell some stuff to buy some planks, so I can get another warehouse in order to open up some more space to complete a quest. The only other way of opening up space is by destroying some stuff, but I don't want to do that if I can sell it.

dejay said:
Maybe I'm dense - how do I sell stuff in the general store? There's an undo sell button there, but I can't seem to sell anything. I need to sell some stuff to buy some planks, so I can get another warehouse in order to open up some more space to complete a quest. The only other way of opening up space is by destroying some stuff, but I don't want to do that if I can sell it.

Go to the store, open up your inventory and right click on what you want to sell.

"Now six years after AoE3, Ensemble gone/re-worked into Robot, a lot of PC gamers not having the greatest opinion of MS as it relates to PC gaming, I think a new AoE at $50/60 might have been a real tough sell for anyone but the diehards. I think this "come and get a taste, see for yourself" approach was a much better idea."

AoE has always appealed to more people than just forumgoers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm level 5 with the Greeks, and rather enjoying the game, but I don't think I want to go Premium with the Greeks. I really want to play the Celts and wished they were available at launch.

Also, while the game seems fun, I'm getting rather tired of these overly-simple training missions.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Evil Benius said:
Started playing this last night after hearing about it on the Bombcast and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Ended up buying the Premium Greek pack around Level 5 when I got a blue (was planning on buying it anyway by the time I got to 10). Have not played an AoE game since the demo for II, but it is definitely hitting some nostalgia for me.

Kind of pissed though that I found out about the retail box after I got the Greek pack online. I love to own the boxes for my games, but it seems there is only a retail version with the Greeks and not the Egyptians. Maybe I will just buy it and give the code to a friend to try to get him playing.
I bought the retail version because I had some credit at Best Buy. It's hilarious--you open up the DVD case and there's a paper card with a code on it, a little poster, and a card with the hotkeys on it. That's it.

ElRenoRaven

mik said:
I bought the retail version because I had some credit at Best Buy. It's hilarious--you open up the DVD case and there's a paper card with a code on it, a little poster, and a card with the hotkeys on it. That's it.

Yup. That's why I wasn't about to bother buying it retail.

That makes me wish I had bought the retail version, just for the hotkey card.

Seriously though, while the hotkey system is somewhat semi-intuitive once you get it, there is no excuse for not including that in the game UI. (buildings have hotkeys which seem to be displayed in the UI at random. Training units seems to always be A for the first, S for the 2nd, D for the 3rd and so on down the row of your keyboard).

dejay

Banned
ZZMitch said:
This game installs painfully slow.

It installs very fast, it just updates very slowly :D

Actually the loading times are really good, so that's the thing I'm happy about.

Damn this download is annoying me they really need to give more information about how long its got left/ what percentage its on etc. A 2 gig download without that kind of information is terrible.

I have high hopes for the game itself but im worried my machine will struggle to run it, going to have to see what happens I guess. I do remember loving Age of Empires a TON years ago when I played it a lot at someones house, if this fails on my machine I might just get a hold of that lol.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Damn this download is annoying me they really need to give more information about how long its got left/ what percentage its on etc. A 2 gig download without that kind of information is terrible.

I have high hopes for the game itself but im worried my machine will struggle to run it, going to have to see what happens I guess. I do remember loving Age of Empires a TON years ago when I played it a lot at someones house, if this fails on my machine I might just get a hold of that lol.

Oh you should be able to run it. Might just have to turn off a few options. It's really not a graphical beast. People are running it smoothly on laptops.

Cheech

Digging the HELL out of this game. This is pretty much guaranteed to be 2011's sleeper hit for me.

Bought the Greek premium pack. I would not be surprised if they institute something where if you buy one at $20, you can buy subsequent civs for 5 or 10 bucks.

Still, just for the $20 + cloud save + no monthly fee + persistant/MMO like game world? Amazing value. I wonder how much of this is in response for Microsoft blowing up Ensemble. Sure, non-gaming nerds who don't care about that stuff will play this, but considering the game nerd contigent are one of Microsoft's best set of product evangelists, it will certainly pay off.

Sweet it runs well on my computer quite suprised at that actually.

I am kind of confused though, how does it work, im online so I assume I can get attacked by other people in my gameworld? It seems like im online but in my own safe little bubble? It almost feels like a single player game in a multiplayer environment!

Which world do gaffers frequent, I wouldnt mind using the chatfeature and playing some co op.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:

I am kind of confused though, how does it work, im online so I assume I can get attacked by other people in my gameworld? It seems like im online but in my own safe little bubble? It almost feels like a single player game in a multiplayer environment!

Which world do gaffers frequent, I wouldnt mind using the chatfeature and playing some co op.

Ok you have your city. That's where you will get quests. You don't attack anything from it or get attacked there. It's your fortress of solitude. You then open your log book and select a quest and hit the button to go to the quest location. Then you do the quest. After that you return to your city. Eventually you'll open up some PVP options if you are Premium. Other then that it's pretty much just a RTS. They tried to make it MMO like with the world chat, etc but it's mainly a RTS.

Okay, what's the proper way to end a co-op quest with both players being able to return to their city? Everytime my friend and I finish up a co-op quest, it ends up with the person who isn't leader having to leave via another city (I.E. Nubia, etc.), not their Capital City.

Also, I'm started to get pissed off at the amount of premium content. My entire storehouse is filled with items I can't use - mostly blueprints for buildings I can't have more than two of. :(

Argh! I need to find a deal on MS points...

ElRenoRaven

Revolutionary said:
Okay, what's the proper way to end a co-op quest with both players being able to return to their city? Everytime my friend and I finish up a co-op quest, it ends up with the person who isn't leader having to leave via another city (I.E. Nubia, etc.), not their Capital City.

Also, I'm started to get pissed off at the amount of premium content. My entire storehouse is filled with items I can't use - mostly blueprints for buildings I can't have more than two of. :(

Argh! I need to find a deal on MS points...

Beats me. I haven't done anything co-op. And yea it does slap you across the face regularly with BUY BUY BUY. Even when you do buy a premium civilization you get the ads saying BUY BUY BUY.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
bobs99 ... said:

This is my disappointment with the game. Your "main" city is just some pointless hub where you accept quests. Yes, you can customize it and buy gear/recipes/have it farm mats for you but in that sense it's just a very simple Sim City. Unfortunately, you HAVE to quest and level and gear up to have any chance in PVP (the main point of an RTS) and it really gets tiresome as it's the same old questing/gear system you've seen in multiple games. If anything, I do enjoy just having a chat open while playing the game although the quality of the conversations can vary.

As for the co-op question, not sure what you mean. When a co-op quest finishes you can wrap up treasure hunting or whatever and then just click the quest icon and click complete quest. I'm assuming you can click whatever city you want on the top left menu and go there too if you want.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
wwm0nkey said:
Tempted to buy the premium greek pack :/

I'm surprised people would even buy the civs now with only two choices and knowing there will be more. If there were 6-8 there'd at least be some variety so you could spend your $20 better but as of right now, unless your main empire was going to be Greece/Egypt from the start anyway, I don't see how you wouldn't just hold out and see what the eventual choices/deals are.

inky

Agreed. I'm holding out for the Celts, but who knows when they'll come. If civs were $10 I would've prolly bought Greek pack already, but at $20 i can't justify what is not going to be my main civ. Hopefully we'll see some offers down the line.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Tempted to buy the premium greek pack :/

Can't blame you. I did. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you want. I play on Athens.

inky said:
Agreed. I'm holding out for the Celts, but who knows when they'll come. If civs were $10 I would've prolly bought Greek pack already, but at $20 i can't justify what is not going to be my main civ. Hopefully we'll see some offers down the line.

Yea. That's why I'm going to be very selective. I'll probably buy one other civilization at some point. After that no more purchases from me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This only starting with two civilizations thing is kind of killing the game for me. I'm level 9 as the Greeks, but I'm not really interested in the civilization and don't really want to dump $20 to go premium, but I'm also starting to run into a lot of pay walls.

I wish they had the Celts at launch. I guess I'll just have to hope that I'm still interested in the game when they get around to launching it.

PsychoRaven said:
Can't blame you. I did. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you want. I play on Athens.

Yea. That's why I'm going to be very selective. I'll probably buy one other civilization at some point. After that no more purchases from me.

Im going to add you if thats alright? Im guessing your GT is the same as your name?

Anyone feel free to add me, my friends list is full but just send a message and ill delete people as and when.

I dont think ive quite finished the tutorial yet, but im jonesing for some skirmish, these quests are pretty dull. :p

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Zefah said:
This only starting with two civilizations thing is kind of killing the game for me. I'm level 9 as the Greeks, but I'm not really interested in the civilization and don't really want to dump $20 to go premium, but I'm also starting to run into a lot of pay walls.

I wish they had the Celts at launch. I guess I'll just have to hope that I'm still interested in the game when they get around to launching it.

Me too. I don't like either civ, and that's killing any motivation I have to continue playing it.

Cheech

I dunno, I think the Greeks are a fine spend of $20. Haven't tried the Egyptians, though.

At the end of the day, I'll more than get my $20 worth out of this game.

ZZMitch

Well I bought a Premium Civ, this game is so addicting. I remember why I swore off MMOs a few years back.

And the game never asked me for a product code, weird.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Im going to add you if thats alright? Im guessing your GT is the same as your name?

Anyone feel free to add me, my friends list is full but just send a message and ill delete people as and when.

I dont think ive quite finished the tutorial yet, but im jonesing for some skirmish, these quests are pretty dull. :p

Yup. Same as here and feel free.

Metalmurphy said:
Why is this asking me for a product code? I thought it was free.

It's a glitch. Has to do with something not being updated properly. Might check the AOE online forums on the site. How to fix it was posted there I think.

I really need to learn how to group dudes in this (or any) RTS. All I want is to be able to select my ranged, melee, and healers independently of each other. It's really annoying that the healers (Priestess of Ra I think) don't automatically heal all the time when they're grouped in with a crowd of my guys.

Thanks Psycho send me a inv if you see me on it will be good to get some Co Op going.

Is there a way to slow down time while rummaging the map trying to micromanage stuff and select certain units? Or maybe a keyboard shortcut to select certain units?

Top Bottom