• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

Daigoro

oh shit. didnt even know this was coming out next week! i had lost track.

really looking forward to this. this will make me put down Trials Evo for a minute.

I'll get this... eventually. I've got everything on iOS and all of Cave's other EU 360 games so far, and I was a bit bummed that Dodopachi crashed in price so hard what seemed like so quickly. I'll wait a month or so as a pallete cleanser after Payne 3 - but I'll definitely be getting it.

weak. its $40. this should be a must buy at that price. it getting localized alone is worth a few extra bucks and 40 is a bargain really.

Is there any dialogue like Shiki/Deathsmiles, or is this none whatsoever style like Ikaruga?

A few incidental lines are spoken (a LOT more if you have the Japanese first-press DLC) and there's quite a lot of dialog/narration in the endings, but otherwise no text to read in the middle of the game.

jbueno

You know what this OT needs? A GamerTags listing for some good old Leaderboards fun, though probably iconoclast will take the top spot.

EDIT: I´m JBueno MD on XBL. Feel free to add me up if you want to feel better about yourself in the leaderboards. I will be adding people that publish their GTs here.

Yes Boss!

Feel free to add me, though I think I've got most folks here:

Yes Boss

Will be back on my 360 sometime in June. So, will leaderboards for US/EU be different?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Whoever wants to, feel free to add me, GT is "Jucksalbe". Had to delete some people because of that stupid 100 maximum, I hope they don't care.

Shady859

I usually never pre-order anything unless it's limited or a deal / freebie included but I did this game because sadly I expect it to be limited supply as most people don't know or care about it. Plus Rising Star did themselves no favors with the release day competition.... My Gamestop had no clue WTF I was talking about when I paid my copy off and I had to spell it for them to look it up.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So the 4:3 mode is only gonna be in the English language version of the game?

If so, I'll pick up the US release of this one. Never did buy the JP version... oh well.

So the 4:3 mode is only gonna be in the English language version of the game?

If so, I'll pick up the US release of this one. Never did buy the JP version... oh well.

All versions including the JP version have the 4:3 mode (arcade/origin). But the JP version has a still-unfixed bug where that particular mode ignores the display zoom settings. RSG made sure the bug was not present in their release.

Danny Dudekisser

All versions including the JP version have the 4:3 mode (arcade/origin). But the JP version has a still-unfixed bug where that particular mode ignores the display zoom settings. RSG made sure the bug was not present in their release.

Alright, cool. I'll buy any domestically released Cave game, so long as there aren't any silly problems (like Deathsmiles slowdown being off, for example)... and where the US version is actually better in some regard, the decision only gets easier.

Guess I'll preorder at Gamestop retail so I'm not at the mercy of UPS... and so I can get out of the house, because I've been spending too goddamn much time playing Xenoblade.

Yes Boss!

The 4:3 overscan issue was never a problem on displays that have adjustable screen size, like CRT monitors do.

I would not even know how to adjust a screen on a commercial TV CRT...would not you have to go into the service menu or something? I have severe overscan on my cheapy tated chinese CRT.

I mainly got the VGA cable for the 360 to try out DS and AK on the Egret 3...that one is seems easier to dial in since it has pots. Guess I'm in the clear.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm doing my part, and not just pretending to support a niche game like I usually do:

scaled.php

Danny Dudekisser

That's been patched, btw

Yah, but I dunno if it's still the same as what the JP release had. Cuz IIRC, Cave actually put Deathsmiles on a different engine for the US version, for whatever reason... so who knows?

I don't. I know that much.

Pretty sure I'm the only person in the tri-state area to reserve this at a Gamestop store.

lol. You'd be surprised. I'd thought that I was the only person in my town in Tennessee who'd heard of Deathsmiles, much less had interest in buying it. Reserved at GameStop, came to pick up my preorder on release day, and was dumbfounded when they told me they sold my copy "accidentally" to somebody else.

I'm trying to learn how to speedkill the stage 2 midboss with 256 gold, and this is way harder than I thought it would be. For some reason I just can't do enough damage to him by the time he starts his blue pattern.

Maybe I should just try to get a good score with the other two characters instead...

edit: I wish AKF uploaded his replay on the 360 board. He gets 55m out of stage 2 and 106! out of stage 4, which is a whopping 20m more than me. God I suck at that stage and I don't know why.

Got a 251m clear with Type A, finishing with 0.5 lives. My god, that run was so embarrassing that I didn't even upload my replay to the leaderboards. I would like to aim for 300m with him, but that's going to be really hard. Probably going to have to start figuring out where I should use bombs so I can try to finish with 2 or 3 lives.

SOME-MIST

I'm trying to learn how to speedkill the stage 2 midboss with 256 gold, and this is way harder than I thought it would be. For some reason I just can't do enough damage to him by the time he starts his blue pattern.

Maybe I should just try to get a good score with the other two characters instead...

edit: I wish AKF uploaded his replay on the 360 board. He gets 55m out of stage 2 and 106! out of stage 4, which is a whopping 20m more than me. God I suck at that stage and I don't know why.
I usually do a bomb 5-10 seconds before his blue pattern, then build energy during the blue pattern, and pop ninja/shield mode and run myself through the lasers to 256 gold it. Then you can run your gold through the following enemies which produce a crapload of bullets. I think I don't use a bomb until stage 3 boss or stage 4 boss.

I dunno if that's what you're going for.. but your score blows mine away - so you can probably figure out something better anyways. I usually stick to type 2.

Got a 251m clear with Type A, finishing with 0.5 lives. My god, that run was so embarrassing that I didn't even upload my replay to the leaderboards. I would like to aim for 300m with him, but that's going to be really hard. Probably going to have to start figuring out where I should use bombs so I can try to finish with 2 or 3 lives.

Type A is a really finicky ship to learn the game with.

Awhile back I decided I was only going to use Type A to cross the 300million barrier but that ended as I realized exactly how hard it is to use. Mad props for getting up to 250.

Also, if you buy the US version you might find out something a little surprising about that pilot ;D

Yah, but I dunno if it's still the same as what the JP release had. Cuz IIRC, Cave actually put Deathsmiles on a different engine for the US version, for whatever reason... so who knows?

I don't. I know that much.

My personal theory is that they were forced to use a newer codebase for Deathsmiles NA/PAL due to changes enforced by MS on the development end taking effect at some point after the JP release. Can't think of any reason why the "smoothing" visual option, something all of Cave's releases after Deathsmiles has (and is still absent in Deathsmiles JP to this day), would show up unprompted otherwise.

Daigoro

im about to buy my first shmup since DS2, i think... (edit: i remember i bought Radiant Silvergun now)

thanks for keeping the Hori genre alive CAVE! love em.

I usually do a bomb 5-10 seconds before his blue pattern, then build energy during the blue pattern, and pop ninja/shield mode and run myself through the lasers to 256 gold it. Then you can run your gold through the following enemies which produce a crapload of bullets. I think I don't use a bomb until stage 3 boss or stage 4 boss.

Good call with the bomb, I didn't think of trying that. The idea is to kill him just as the blue pattern starts up for the extra enemies afterward, so I'll give that a shot next time I play. With Type C, I usually save all of my bombs until the final pattern of the stage 4 boss, and then save the rest for the stage 5 and 6 bosses. I think I'd have one left over with my current strategies, so I could use on stage 2 if I need to.

Type A is a really finicky ship to learn the game with.

Awhile back I decided I was only going to use Type A to cross the 300million barrier but that ended as I realized exactly how hard it is to use. Mad props for getting up to 250.

Also, if you buy the US version you might find out something a little surprising about that pilot ;D

Yeah, Type A is pretty hard to use. It's hard to generate energy with him since you need to kill everything at point blank with your shot, and controlling his option takes some getting used to. There are two 400+m replays with him on the leaderboard as well - crazy stuff.

Also, I probably won't be getting the US version any time soon (no money). Is it something about his ending? I'll have to youtube it.

Yes Boss!

Preordered NA release from amazon. Whoo!

Will stop at Media Markt to get the EU release next month. My AKS collection will be as big as my DS collection.

SOME-MIST

Good call with the bomb, I didn't think of trying that. The idea is to kill him just as the blue pattern starts up for the extra enemies afterward, so I'll give that a shot next time I play. With Type C, I usually save all of my bombs until the final pattern of the stage 4 boss, and then save the rest for the stage 5 and 6 bosses. I think I'd have one left over with my current strategies, so I could use on stage 2 if I need to.
that clip is pretty ridiculous. I thought my stage 1 and 2 were pretty tight too..
the 2nd half of stage 3 is when my scoring goes out the window and I start playing for survival - tho I've only invested around 50 hours into the game total.

I think my best is around 160,000,000 or so, so you've got me by over 100 mill. If I practice on stage 3-5 + s6 boss scoring, I'd probably be able to break 2 million, but type 2 is hard to score with too. I used to be (and might still be) ranked 9th for type 2 but around 60th overall in arcade mode.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got the game today. I played through Slash mode once (I didn't even notice the different modes in the menu, only saw them after I read the OP) and didn't understand much of what I'm supposed to do.
I guess I should take a look at the manual now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pretty sure I'm the only person in the tri-state area to reserve this at a Gamestop store.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't reserve it but will attempt to pick it up on day 1 regardless. Played it at Otakon last year and it's definitely one of the better Cave releases in terms of 'feel'.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
"Let's waste a bunch of our limited budget on manufacturing, shipping & distributing a boxed product instead of selling digitally!"
I'm totally fine with this being a boxed product and I'm absolutely buying it day one. If this was a digital release and wasn't 1200 points or less, people would bitch they were being gouged. I appreciate having a game like this in a box I can put on my shelf.

Saroyan

I'm totally fine with this being a boxed product and I'm absolutely buying it day one. If this was a digital release and wasn't 1200 points or less, people would bitch they were being gouged. I appreciate having a game like this in a box I can put on my shelf.

I'm with you, and I wish Deathsmiles II could have gotten a physical release also.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't reserve it but will attempt to pick it up on day 1 regardless. Played it at Otakon last year and it's definitely one of the better Cave releases in terms of 'feel'.

That was my copy of the game. Glad you enjoyed it!

I'll definitely be back this year too, but I haven't decided which games to bring yet.

tearsofash

lol. You'd be surprised. I'd thought that I was the only person in my town in Tennessee who'd heard of Deathsmiles, much less had interest in buying it. Reserved at GameStop, came to pick up my preorder on release day, and was dumbfounded when they told me they sold my copy "accidentally" to somebody else.

TN Cave fans!

The only other guy here in the Boro that plays Cave games moved to Lavergne. Haven't seen a single copy of death smiles move.

jbueno

"Let's waste a bunch of our limited budget on manufacturing, shipping & distributing a boxed product instead of selling digitally!"

This is not a typical disposable title like lots of games on XBLA, so I think a retail release is perfectly justifiable. But that´s just my opinion.

Danny Dudekisser

This is not a typical disposable title like lots of games on XBLA, so I think a retail release is perfectly justifiable. But that´s just my opinion.

That's pretty true, actually. The only XBLA shmup not ported from another console that's actually worth a damn is Trouble Witches Neo. And even that feels kinda flash game-y, though it is fun.

Cave's stuff is on another level entirely, even just in terms of presentation. And in terms of gameplay polish? Not even close. Selling this alongside schlock like Omega Five would be like saying Battlefield 3 should be an XBLA game because Monday Night Combat is on there. Yeah, I know there's a huge difference in the budgets in that comparison, but the point still stands.

That, and I like physical copies of games. But I'm old-school like that.

C-Jo

I pre-ordered it this morning because Cave is awesome and releases like this are worth supporting. However, I don't think I'll be opening/playing it any time soon.

mollipen

Just finishing up writing my review for the game for online. I went into it thinking I had no idea what I'd have to say beyond a few points—I end up writing 1400+ words. *laughs* I love how I keep thinking I'll struggle to write something, and then end up going way overboard.

Top Bottom