• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

mollipen

I don't even think I'll be able to do a review.

Goddamn this fucking sucks.

Many people often feel that way after hearing that I'm doing a review for something, due to knowing they could never live up to my greatness.

You shouldn't blame yourself—it's happened to the best of reviewers out there.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So pumped for tomorrow. Or, well, later today technically but yeah. Hopefully I won't get home too late so I can put a few hours in.

Just finishing up writing my review for the game for online. I went into it thinking I had no idea what I'd have to say beyond a few points—I end up writing 1400+ words. *laughs* I love how I keep thinking I'll struggle to write something, and then end up going way overboard.

I'd love to read this, whenever you put it up.

"Let's waste a bunch of our limited budget on manufacturing, shipping & distributing a boxed product instead of selling digitally!"

People like you make me sick. If you don't like how they want to sell their games then stay the hell out of the thread. We don't need your shitty post shitting up the thread. Just get the fuck out.

I'm happy with my physical copy.

Aaron

I'd rather have a physical copy for console games because you can't really back them up, the hardware is pretty flimsy, and there's no reassurance I'll be able to play them on the next gen. With a disc, there's at least a chance of emulation down the road.

tearsofash

Physical copies look better on display.

My gamestop says they won't have it until the 17th. Can someone remind me again why I didn't order this online like I do everything else?

Ramune

Oh wow! This came out today? I'm so out of the loop these days. My Atelier Meruru LE Preorder's being paid for today and the. There's Mushihimesama HD later this month, so I'm good game wise. I WILL double dip relatively soon, but for now I need to save some money. Just a bad time regarding money for me. >_<

It's funny, I wonder if I can get the cashier guy to try this game like I did Deathsmiles and Otomedius Excellent before. ^_-

Thanks god it's a boxed release. I think it's totally worth more than games on XBLA. Physical copies are nicer anyway. I'd really like to have Guwange on my shelf too.

Wonko_C

No need to get defensive guys, a digital release in Games on Demand (people forget that not every digital game has to be an XBLA title) in addition to the disc version would be ideal for people who otherwise can't get the physical copy.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized I didn't get a text from Gamestop about this. I better call them at 10 and find out when it's arriving. I went to pick up Max Payne 3 at 8 am at Target, and they didn't have it yet. Day ruined!

Amagon

Woah! Just found this thread and didn't know this game was coming out today. Damn you Rockstar/Blizzard marketing!!!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No need to get defensive guys, a digital release in Games on Demand (people forget that not every digital game has to be an XBLA title) in addition to the disc version would be ideal for people who otherwise can't get the physical copy.

Nah, cuz Games on Demand would still be $40. People want this game to be like $5.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have Amazon Prime.

Amazon is still estimating an ETA of May 21 for Akai Katana.

Same for me. I guess I'd be a lot more pissed off if I didn't have Diablo 3 coming in. I can wait on AK.

vall03

oh god, no Games on Demand please!

it will be ip-locked so I wont be able to buy it :(

meppi

I'm very much for this model actually.
That way I'm very inclined to double dip. Buying the retail version to have a physical copy and then getting the GoD one so I don't have to swap discs when I want to play it. :)
But then again, I'm probably weird in that way as I have 3 copies of DDP Resurrection, 2 of Deathsmiles and plan to get another Akai Katana as well as get the Japanese versions of all of them in the near future as well. ;)

Got the game this afternoon finally. Wish I would have been able to pick it up on Friday, but I don't think it's even out here.
Saying how much I love it would be an understatement.
Saying I suck at it would do the same. :p

Although I'm in the top 20 on the European leader-boards right now, so I can take some solace in that I suppose.

Been playing it for nearly 3 hours straight and I just downloaded a replay because I felt I was doing something wrong, but didn't know what.
It turns out I was. I had no idea that you could break up the Phantom attack stage in as many parts as you liked. I thought once you went from defense to attack, you just kept the button pressed or you'd lose your Phantom and go back t normal and suck all the gold pieces in. Such a big difference that makes!

Only thing I'm sad about is that none of my friends seem to have the game, although quite a few have the Japanese release.
Still. I wish the European release would be more popular. It's a big enough gamble as it is to bring these games out here in this day and age...

Shady859

Picked up my GameStop pre-order this morning looks like they had a stack of 7 behind my slipped copy. This besides the huge stacks of D3 and MP3... Had to hit up Best Buy for $10 Madden so I looked for this and even asked but they don't have it...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Giant Bomb QL is up.

I don't think I've ever heard Brad say "I don't know" so many times in the span of a single quick look.

Oh Brad.

Danny Dudekisser

Fuck yeah, got this shit.

Chong Romero's going to make you his bitch!

scaled.php

And Shidoshi -- shmup nerds are gonna be after you with pitchforks for commenting on Akai Katana's length in that review, regardless of whether you liked the game or not. That's like the one thing that sets them off (though I, personally, thought it was a solid review.)

Can't wait to watch Brad get his shit pushed in the quick look. But only after I play the game myself.

mollipen

And Shidoshi -- shmup nerds are gonna be after you with pitchforks for commenting on Akai Katana's length in that review, regardless of whether you liked the game or not. That's like the one thing that sets them off (though I, personally, thought it was a solid review.)

I actually had to think for a bit a what I'd consider a negative, and the one complaint I did have was that stages felt very short to me. Compared to the other Cave games I've played, Katana felt shorter than what I've come to be used to.

Danny Dudekisser

I actually had to think for a bit a what I'd consider a negative, and the one complaint I did have was that stages felt very short to me. Compared to the other Cave games I've played, Katana felt shorter than what I've come to be used to.

Ah, well that makes sense. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even bring something like this up, but I'm sure we all know how... temperamental this crowd is.

How long is it then? Something like 20 minutes?

mollipen

Ah, well that makes sense. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even bring something like this up, but I'm sure we all know how... temperamental this crowd is.

I just went and expanded that one line a bit to explain better what I was trying to say. But yes, given that my area of focus is usually niche titles, I've come to understand fan bases and their tendency to be... delicate in certain ways. *laughs*

How long is it then? Something like 20 minutes?

I'd have to time it again, but I'm not sure if it'd even be that. (At least in terms of Original Mode.) Obviously though, games like this are about score, not just blazing through them. It was just that, at least for a few of the stages, sometimes they felt like you were already at the boss before you even expected to be.

I'd have to time it again, but I'm not sure if it'd even be that. (At least in terms of Original Mode.) Obviously though, games like this are about score, not just blazing through them. It was just that, at least for a few of the stages, sometimes they felt like you were already at the boss before you even expected to be.
So there's less time to screw things up. That's not bad. Although a greater length wouldn't hurt either, because of the interesting looking art. But I'm sure I'm going to like it anyway.

Amazon order 'Shipping Soon' - hopefully that means I get it tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Lucky, mine's still in "Not yet shipped" limbo... not that it really matters since I'll be out of town this weekend anyway and there's pretty much no way it'll arrive before I leave at this point.

Went into gamestop, the only copy they got was the one I preordered. The guys behind the counter were looking at the game when I got there. One of them knew what it was, the other guy said he thought he recognized the character artist.

It could be an isolated incident, but things aren't looking too good if gamestop is only getting enough copies to cover preorders.

Went into gamestop, the only copy they got was the one I preordered. The guys behind the counter were looking at the game when I got there. One of them knew what it was, the other guy said he thought he recognized the character artist.

It could be an isolated incident, but things aren't looking too good if gamestop is only getting enough copies to cover preorders.

Yup. When it looked like my Amazon order wasn't going to ship until May 21, I decided to look it up on Gamestop.com - the nearest store that has a copy is about 230 miles away from me. Heh.

Wonko_C

Fuck yeah, got this shit.

Chong Romero's going to make you his bitch!

scaled.php

Can't wait to watch Brad get his shit pushed in the quick look. But only after I play the game myself.

I'm jelly. :p To tell the truth I didn't know about this game until yesterday, Tronix doesn't sell it, I have a shit ton of store credit but there's 0% chance of them selling it. (Tales of Graces F never came and there's only one hidden copy of The Witcher 2... criminal, I know.) This is partly why I would want this game on GoD, I'd pay $60 for it even.

Swordy

I received my copy and T-Shirt from shopto yesterday. After playing it for a bit I really love it, kind of prefer horizontal shmups to vertical ones like Dodonpachi even though it's the opposite for most people as far as I know.

Danny Dudekisser

Same deal at my Gamestop -- only copy they got was the one that I preordered.

I know this game isn't going to sell more than a few dozen copies, but hopefully RSG is still making enough to make bringing stuff over worthwhile.

Also, this game is fucking disorienting. I didn't play Deathsmiles or Progear, so this is my first horizontal bullet hell game. It's really tough for me to judge distances or figure out how to move... I know I'll get used to it, but right now, I feel like a lamer :(

Edit: Oh, I figured out that the phantom thing is kinda important.

Prophane33

When the guy pulled up my pre-order he was like "woah." and I'm like "!?" , he tells me that it's been Max Payne and Diablo all day long. My pre-order was a nice change of pace. Installing now. "My" Gamestop (I rarely if ever go to Gamestop) only had 2 copies.

Zeth

Wait, is this coming out on XBLA/GoD?

Just watched the quicklook, that was great! They were bummed about the slowdown, haha.
edit: LOL @ co-op + "pass n' play" comment

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I guess I should've pre-ordered this somewhere. Went to two GameStops and neither had it. Called a third and they didn't have it either, was going to try some more, but it was already getting late and I've got a cold at the moment. I really didn't wanna be out any longer than need be.

i sad

Daigoro

car broke down couldnt get out to pick up a copy today. hopefully in the next few days or ill have to order it online.

shitty.

way to miss the point completely.

This game hands out achievements like candy. Got 390 on my first playthrough.

most Cave games are like this, then only like 3 people on earth ever get the full 1000.

Top Bottom