• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters |OT| - East meets West F2P ARPG

1stStrike

Banned

about_the_gameikjm2.png

What is it?

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters is a free to play Action RPG with a unique Japanese inspired art style and setting, developed by the independent studio Spicy Horse which developed Alice and Alice: Madness Returns. If you've ever played Okami, the art style is very similar. The game runs on the Unity engine and can be played in a browser or via the stand-alone client on your PC or Mac.

Note: Steam coming soon.

How is it played?

The game is controlled by your mouse with a fixed camera. You left click to attack and right click to use your main ability. You can have up to three abilities per "set" which you can use with hotkeys in addition to right clicking (i.e. #1 key / #2 key) and you can tab through each ability set as necessary. Skills are bought with in-game currency (called Karma) from merchants and leveled up by buying additional upgrades.

Loot Whores:

If you love loot, this is the game for you. A ton of loot drops, similar to Diablo and other such games, and you collect this and equip/sell it accordingly. The game has a very large number of items with a fully randomized item system so the loot potential is virtually limitless. On top of this, there is also a crafting system so you're able to craft additional unique equipment to help power up your character and stand out from the crowd.

The Hunters:

Prowess: This is your warrior class, whom focuses on up close and personal fighting styles with big weapons and medium armor. You'll be hulk smashing everything that walks into your path if you choose this Hunter.

Fortitude: Sporting heavy armor and even bigger weapons, this hunter is focused on survivability and support. Most of this hunter's skills employ methods of raising defense, healing and group damage. Play this class if you enjoy being able to take a beating while dishing out mega AOE stun damage to everything around you.

Cunning: As the name suggests, this hunter is your ninja-like stealth/ranged class which uses fast attacks, evasion and positioning to its advantage. If you want to be a dual katana wielding machine of death that can teleport around the battlefield and pick off targets from a distance, choose this hunter.

Customization:

After choosing your initial class you have a large variety of options for making yourself stand out from everyone else. Characters can be customized via different abilities (you can mix and match from different class trees), specializations, and stat growth. There's different types of armor (light, medium, heavy), various weapons and all of them change your appearance - so you can min/max as much as make your character look unique from everyone else.

Maps:

Initially, you begin at Shigemori River which has 3 different missions that you can take on. These missions all have different bosses, some variety in enemies, and each progresses the story a bit. Once you have 2400 Karma saved up you can unlock Jawbone Ravine, which contains another set of missions you can play through. Each area that you unlock has its own theme, bosses, and mobs that are unique to that area so expect a large variety in maps. As of this writing there are a total of 8 areas you can unlock.

setting_and_narrative0tkwo.png

crimson_historiesmybj4.jpg

Your hunter is a fresh recruit in the Order of Akane. The Order is a Templar like group of demon hunters who fight to maintain the balance between humanity and Yokai (Japanese folk monsters and demons).

The blood of slain Yokai crystallizes, forming glowing red Karma Shards. The power stored within Karma Shards allows hunters to master almost super-human combat techniques necessary when facing Yokai. They also receive a high level of training in tactics, survival and natural magic. Order members are often referred to as “Red Hunters”.

The Order was founded in Japan, 300 years prior to the events of the game, by the legendary demon hunter and martyr known as The Red Girl - or Akaneiro. Akaneiro was aided by her close companions, the Dark Huntsman and the the Forest Mother. Dubbed "The Three", together they exemplified the tenets and disciplines followed by the Order; maintain the balance between human and demon, light and shadow – walk the shifting line between this world and the other.

The setting is late middle 19th century Japan. The game takes place on the fictional Yomi Island, located north of Hokkaido. The island was the site of a great war between Human and Yokai over 300 years ago. Though defeated then, the Yokai have begun to reemerge. This time, they’re more dangerous – organizing into militarized groups under the leadership of the ambitious and powerful “Demon Kings of Yomi”.

Media:

Videos:

Developer Interview

Gameplay Trailer

Gamespot "Now Playing" with American McGee

Where can I get it?

Click on the banner image, or navigate yourself over to http://www.angry-red.com in order to sign up and start playing. The community is very active and the devs regularly interact with the community and are very open to suggestions and ideas.

FAQ:

- The in-game currency is called Karma which is shared across all of the characters on your account.

- Though there is currently a kickstarter running for the game, it is officially released. The kickstarter is to fund a number of additional features which they simply did not have the budget to include in the official release.

- While the game does offer a way to pay real money for currency, like many other F2P games, it is a very balanced system. If you choose to purchase currency it's going to be for the convenience as you can earn everything in-game without having to purchase it with real money.

- While it may sound daunting having to use in-game currency to unlock new areas, it does accumulate fairly quickly so grinding should be minimal.

- The game saves constantly, so if you disconnect in the middle of a mission you can return right where you left off without having to do everything all over again. This makes the game very easy to pick up and play for short durations with no worries of losing progress.

- For the best experience, it's recommended to download the game client and install this on your computer. Currently, it's only 570 MB in size so the space consumption is negligible. That being said, the browser version does work perfectly fine and even gives you the ability to chat with other players and devs (though there is an in-game chat as well which works with the regular client) whom hang out there regularly.

- Coop is not in the game yet (this is a kickstarter goal), but you can summon other players (or a bot) to join your game and help you out.

More to be added later.

1stStrike

Banned
Just as an update on this (GAF should be giving this more love - I find it weird that it's not) the Kickstarter was successfully funded which means the following features are going to be added as a result:

• Android and iOS Tablet Version, Linux Version – We've done a lot of groundwork earlier in development; but we don’t have the resources for a full port alongside our other work. Backing will ensure we can deliver Akaneiro as a cross-platform experience.
  • Co-op multiplayer – Join with fellow hunters in real-time to take down the Demon Kings of Yomi. Share the reward and tackle more difficult challenges.
  • Equipment Crafting System – collect raw materials from fallen enemies and use them to add specific properties to equipment. Apply any properties to any item template, for the perfect blend of stats and aesthetics.
  • Improved Community Support – Any game, especially an independently developed online game such as Akaneiro, relies on fostering a strong community. We need to add more dedicated community managers to our team.
  • Other Smaller But Collectively Awesome Features-
  • “Karma Void” Dungeons - use the crystallized hearts of fallen Yokai to access multi-level dungeons where extra-difficult challenges (and greater rewards) await.
  • Expanded Narrative elements – more in game dialogue, and special ally characters added to certain missions. Lore items scattered throughout the world that provide further story for each mission and the game overall.
  • Lockbox Items & Additional Consumables
  • Hand/Fist Weapon Class and Mastery
  • Expanded Weapon and Armor varieties.
  • Additional Spirit Helper Pet varieties.
  • Further training levels for all Abilities and Masteries.
  • Mark of Sacrifice – Recover a portion of lost experience by returning to the site of your death. Earn bonuses by finding Marks left by your friends.
  • Ghosts of Yomi – New “lost spirit” NPCs added to Yomi Village, providing repeatable quests for special item rewards.
  • Leaderboards – track and compare a large array of progression stats.
  • Hunting Squads - organize and brand your characters into a single squad unit, sharing profit, items and other benefits.
  • Akane Trials – Rank-based achievement system with rewards.
  • Improved Chat System with friends list management, room creation and other social features.

Cross-posting my impressions from the other thread.

i9Ssxm3oDHe22.gif

I'm really liking this! I don't play many dungeon crawlers, but the nice art is engaging. It's surprisingly pretty, I really wish there was a zoom function. I defeated Ushi Oni, but can't go to the next area so I'll pretty much have to grind in the first area. My one niggle is the enemy health bars take too much screen space and it becomes hard to target other enemies. I like that there seems to be asynchronous co-op like Dark Souls, you can use other people's characters as AI companions. I play the ninja class, but I would like some stealth attacks too. They even hint at it.

iOfIuiSQm8aJ2.gif

Purple Riding Hood. I'm guessing there'll be a red hood later on.
ibd6ltlEeKytr6.jpg

Amaterasu
iSVHmkE3abXkl.jpg

I thought the game would feel less dark because of the isometric view and it being free2play, but nope lol.
i6tHryENqszJw.jpg

i8amPmdMEWBg9.jpg

ibjsj0UCmLeOyH.jpg

These ghosts are everywhere in the village.
ibzqVobDKavYhE.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wasn't this game on kick starter not that long ago?

Seems fun. I might check it out for the art alone,

Teknoman

Seems pretty cool. Definitely going to give a shot (wish there were more isometric action rpgs of this style...especially after Throne of Darkness missed opportunity). Nice art style, and i've always thought those yokai prints would make good RPG enemies.

Haunted

Will try this out once coop is implemented and a Steam version hits.

Still playing Path of Exile and it's tough for me to have two games in that genre going on at the same time.

Heh I was playing tonight, the in-game chat is full of Chinese folk. Since a "cracked" Chinese localized hack is floating around now. Guess this is the only type of game where the developers could encourage that kind of thing.

SteveWD40

Gonna grab this today, I was actually tempted to make an OP as it had so little in the way of hype.

The tablet version UI shown in the kickstarter excites me, this would own on iPad.

Sarcasm

Been playing it. I really like the art but it really does feel like a mobile app game. Which I will get for Android for sure.

Replaying the missions on High Threat, you pretty much need a summoned person to get through them if you don't want to lose Karma Shards on reviving.

I gave in and spent $5 (12,000 shards). I really wanted an ability to restore health, so my group right now is Chi Mend (restore health), Steady Shot (arrow to one specific enemy), and Hungry Cleave (steal health while attacking multiple enemies).
i9p3ElAAkzKz1.jpg

My class is Hunter, level 4 now.
izuLV8KWI3zmU.gif

Grampasso

Why in the world I keep getting an alert message 2-3 minutes after logging saying my account is suspicious? It's impossible to play. Also, seriously no option to close the client in the login screen?

1stStrike

Banned
Why in the world I keep getting an alert message 2-3 minutes after logging saying my account is suspicious? It's impossible to play. Also, seriously no option to close the client in the login screen?

Ah, you have the same problem I do. I'm currently unable to play the game because their anti-cheat system thinks my computer is 5 minutes in the future due to its speed. This is actually happening with others, as well, though they've said it's a "small" number of people so far and that it's being worked on.

Here's a quote from an email exchange I had with American McGee over the issue.

Hey there. Sorry to hear you're having issues with the anti-cheat system. We've heard a very small number of similar complaints. Seems to happen most frequently when someone has either over-clocked their machine or are using "gaming" hardware (like a special mouse or keyboard). We're working to resolve this, but it happens on a case by case basis. Towards that end, I've CC'd Martin on this email - he can help you interface with our tech guys and see about getting this problem resolved.

Well, keep in mind you are NOT being "banned for overclocking." We don't care what you do with your machine! The anti-cheat system doesn't care what you do with it either. It's simply confusing whatever super-fast data is coming from your side with something a cheater might use to spam/spoof the server. Again, the only way we can fix this stuff is on a case by case basis... so please continue to work with Martin and he'll pass your info/logs/etc to our tech guys

Feel free to email your displeasure to martin [AT] spicyhorse.com and CC american [AT] spicyhorse.com

Grampasso

Ah, you have the same problem I do. I'm currently unable to play the game because their anti-cheat system thinks my computer is 5 minutes in the future due to its speed. This is actually happening with others, as well, though they've said it's a "small" number of people so far and that it's being worked on.

Here's a quote from an email exchange I had with American McGee over the issue.

Feel free to email your displeasure to martin [AT] spicyhorse.com and CC american [AT] spicyhorse.com

Thanks! :)

SteveWD40

Feels a bit janky so far on PC (for me), the UI is all over the place in scale, as is the menu screen.

I think I will get this for iPad...

RoadDogg

Just tried it on Kongregate (sue me). I didn't realize it was just going to be a Diablo clone with Okami assets. Was an ok 30 minute time waster but I don't see myself spending anytime on it as you have to replay the same stuff over and over or spend money to progress. I hit level 4 pretty quick and realized I can't do anything cool without spending money or playing for days.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
There's quite a bit still missing and/or broken. The friends list system doesn't work at all, the menus are super janky, and the performance leaves something to be desired, but I've got to say that I'm really enjoying it in spite of its flaws. It's a perfectly digestible aRPG, and the cross-platform support will make it one to watch. I really like the option to automatically left-click attack. I can't believe that hasn't been in another aRPG I've played before.

Hopefully it gets more attention; I'm planning to stick by it.

I was waiting until it came out on Steam to play it much, but that still hasn't happened.

I see they are now aiming for this month for Steam version, we'll see...

The basic message is that we're working to make sure the game is as good as can be before launching to Steam. The reasoning is that the audience on Steam is a lot more demanding and expectations are higher - when compared to Kong or SpicyWorld. We're hoping to push Akaneiro to the Steam "Early Access" program during May 2013 - then to a final release some weeks after that.

Top Bottom