• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alert: Local EB stores have Shadow Hearts 2 in stock...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thinking of going to snag a copy myself right now. Apparently a special trade-in deal is going on which nets up to $20 bonus credit for 5 console games. Score!

I'll try to post impressions if I take advantage.

Rodriguez

Brandon F said:
Apparently a special trade-in deal is going on which nets up to $20 bonus credit for 5 console games. Score!

If you trade in RTCW, you're a dead man. While you're there, pick up MM3 again. :D

demi

WHAT OMG WTF I HOPE THIS IS TRUE OMGWTF I WANT THIS GAME NOW SOOO BAD OMGWTF (SAN ANDREWHAT? KATAMARIWHAT?)

I hope you are right.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thanks for the tip off! It was indeed available!

I started playing it a while ago...

Story seems interesting, cutscenes are well directed, and the battle system seems a hell of a lot more interesting. I think I might like this...

However, SO3 really spoiled me when it comes to visuals (at this point, I'd say it is the most stunning RPG I've ever seen during gameplay).

The vibrant, 480p visuals and smooth framerate of SO3 were really beautiful and added an extra impact to the experience...but SH2 has a very nasty, dank, pixelated look. To make matters worse, the menus and judgement ring run at 60 fps...while the actual 3D graphics only run at 30. So, when you see that smooth ring spin around once...the half speed battle graphics look pretty poor.

Oh well, I can live with that if the game is good. The US voice acting is suprisingly good, though. Considering how uneven and awful the few voice performances in the original were...this is a nice suprise.

demi

OMG I HAVE IT!1`12

hahadarkpulse.jpg

GOTY GOTY GOTY

(had to throw away 5 $5 games though (lol scam))

AssMan

Banned
Hello SH2 and GOODBYE Final Fantasy X. I couldn't stand that crap so I got store credit (only $3 but well worth it to get rid of that crap) and bought SH2. The game is awesome so far.

demi

I am going to rush through Command Mission just so I can play this! Silly command mission, why do you have to be too easy? HAHA FAILURE.

dark10x

Damn, the combo system kicks serious ass! The battles are WAY more fun than the original game...

jiggle

Why get it early if you're not even gonna play it right away=p Not fair!
Sorry, I'm just green with envy right now.

Wario64 said:
Do you have to play SH1 to understand the story?

Nope it's not necessary, there are lots of recaps for the parts that you need to know. It's enough so you won't be lost with the story.

It helps to play SH1 though, because alot of the relationships around the main protragonist, Yuri, will come into play in SH2.

Definitely read up on some spoilers for SH1 and its two endings, if you don't plan to play it.

demi

Does anyone have any tips on combos? Like, any specific ones I need to do in order to cause more damage?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, is this out at Funcoland yet? That's where I have my reserve...

Almost done with SO3, gonna finish that this weekend, then time for SH2... Beat one awesome RPG, and a new one comes out, it's been like that since TOS :D

Picked this up from EB, and DAMN: surprise, it's really good. I've played about six hours now and I'm in the mines before Wales. The Judgment Ring customization and the combo system rock, and the different specialty systems for each character are a lot of fun.

It's nice to play a game with a great localization, good voice acting, and ACTUAL INTERESTING CHARACTERS (ToS, I'm not looking at you) for a change. Sure, SH:C is pretty orthodox as far as RPGs go, but it really seems to do the whole linear console RPG right. The pro wrestling superhero vampire was fucked up, though.

5 hours in, and SH:C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ToS ~= SO3

shoplifter

Awesome, between this and Megaten I'm gonna be busy. Still need to play my SH1 though, dunno why it's been on the shelf so long.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Picked it up as well; definitely a damn fun RPG. It's noticeably "jaggy" though. :)

Can someone help me in getting through
the subway tunnels? I was wondering around for an hour and couldn't find where to go!

dark10x

Yeah, it's one of the jaggiest looking PS2 games I've played in a LONG time.

As for that particular area, here's a tip...

Do you remember the first area with the three way split? The RIGHT tunnel takes you to side area while the other two will take you to another place. You need to be in the middle or left tunnel and essentially work your way to the upper left hand corner of the map. The hallways will eventually lead you to where you need to be. When you arrive, you'll see a save point...

From there, you trigger something which will move a car from earlier. Now, go back to the three way split and take the right tunnel. You should be able to find your way through there now...

The first part of the game seems to be the worst for jaggies. Later on, there's some really beautiful scenery. It's no ToS for image quality, but it's not bad-looking, either.

dark10x

Drinky Crow said:
The first part of the game seems to be the worst for jaggies. Later on, there's some really beautiful scenery. It's no ToS for image quality, but it's not bad-looking, either.

ToS has great image quality for a non-progressive game, but Star Ocean 3 has THE best image quality in any JRPG yet created. :p Switching from that to Shadow Hearts 2 was quite a shock...

Some of the scenery is quite nice, though. The beginning of the game had a very muddy look to it.

Nah, SO3 lacks the ToS heavy anti-aliasing -- it still has a bit of a rough-edged look, even in prog scan. Unlike every other type of game, I prefer my RPGs anti-aliased.

dark10x

Drinky Crow said:
Nah, SO3 lacks the ToS heavy anti-aliasing -- it still has a bit of a rough-edged look, even in prog scan. Unlike every other type of game, I prefer my RPGs anti-aliased.

Really? I enjoyed the sharper look of SO3, I guess, but they certainly are quite different looking. ToS is a rather blurry game overall (from image quality to textures) and also has rather muted/washed out colors.

Yeah, but the muddy look isn't so much image quality (output) as it is low-res textures and simplistic lighting. I think SO3 is a vastly better looking game overall, but ToS has no discernable pixel edges anywhere.

Brandon F

Put about 3 hours in last night and am still waiting for teh funny to show up. Those initial cutscenes were snooze-worthy, all those campfire sitdowns coulda been punctuated. Very slow start compared to the crazy fight on the train in SH1.

Battle system is neat though, didn't really get a chance to do anything crazy yet with the combos and stuff, there is a nice amount of flexibility involved with the judgement rings and various attack parameters...well, actually there is the possibility of it being flexible. Can't discern much this early in, need better enemies to face. Any real purpose to using the 4 different attack types outside the realm of -combo-?

Also, is there any way to gain back SP without the use of items? Game forgot to mention SP loss in the tutorial as all three of my heroes suddenly went berserk in the spider boss fight after a couple combo attempts, and my ignorance let it happen. I was shit out of luck until they happened to stop tossing MP heal items at the boss and thankfully decided to attack the boss and not each other.

dark10x

Very slow start compared to the crazy fight on the train in SH1.

I dunno, while the initial train scene in Shadow Hearts was pretty intense (as far as RPGs are concerned), the actual beginning content directly beyond the intro was pretty awful. That initial wandering scene as well as the entire first town were so incredibly boring...

I'm still hoping for a little more "SCHLOOOOOOP" in the sequel...

AssMan

Banned
This game blows FFX out of the water in terms of music and gameplay. The atmosphere is awesome. The voice acting is on par with FFXs, but the graphics on the other hand..........

Lyte Edge

Brandon F said:
Put about 3 hours in last night and am still waiting for teh funny to show up. Those initial cutscenes were snooze-worthy, all those campfire sitdowns coulda been punctuated. Very slow start compared to the crazy fight on the train in SH1.

Battle system is neat though, didn't really get a chance to do anything crazy yet with the combos and stuff, there is a nice amount of flexibility involved with the judgement rings and various attack parameters...well, actually there is the possibility of it being flexible. Can't discern much this early in, need better enemies to face. Any real purpose to using the 4 different attack types outside the realm of -combo-?

Also, is there any way to gain back SP without the use of items? Game forgot to mention SP loss in the tutorial as all three of my heroes suddenly went berserk in the spider boss fight after a couple combo attempts, and my ignorance let it happen. I was shit out of luck until they happened to stop tossing MP heal items at the boss and thankfully decided to attack the boss and not each other.

You need to get Monster Hunter.

Brandon F

:D Enjoying that one are you? A price drop will likely get me to come aboard. As it stands, there is a lot of disparity in opinion making me apprehensive to join the hunt.

Alex

"SH:C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SO3"

Incorrect!

"SH:C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ToS"

Correct!

Both Monster Hunter and Shadow Hearts 2 are games I wanna nab, but, well, everything on Earth came out in September. And I, unless having a very good reason. Don't play through multiple games at once anymore. Distracting, for me at least and usually ended up in dropped games.

Also, I sent you a PM Drinky.

nitewulf

dark10x said:
Thanks for the tip off! It was indeed available!

I started playing it a while ago...

Story seems interesting, cutscenes are well directed, and the battle system seems a hell of a lot more interesting. I think I might like this...

However, SO3 really spoiled me when it comes to visuals (at this point, I'd say it is the most stunning RPG I've ever seen during gameplay).

The vibrant, 480p visuals and smooth framerate of SO3 were really beautiful and added an extra impact to the experience...but SH2 has a very nasty, dank, pixelated look. To make matters worse, the menus and judgement ring run at 60 fps...while the actual 3D graphics only run at 30. So, when you see that smooth ring spin around once...the half speed battle graphics look pretty poor.

Oh well, I can live with that if the game is good. The US voice acting is suprisingly good, though. Considering how uneven and awful the few voice performances in the original were...this is a nice suprise.

smooth framerates in SO3???
the game chugs like hell at times. whenever walking into a snowy area, during battles, anytime in opean areas with lots of structure if you swing the camera it stutters.

dark10x

nitewulf said:
smooth framerates in SO3???
the game chugs like hell at times. whenever walking into a snowy area, during battles, anytime in opean areas with lots of structure if you swing the camera it stutters.

Not really...

The snowy area you speak of is pretty much the only area that has serious slowdown issues. The vast majority of the areas hold a perfect 60 fps...and that includes battles.

Later on in the game, when larger monsters appear on the field, some areas will stutter a bit though. In general, it holds 60 fps a good 95% of the time (at minimum).

nitewulf

so you agree that the snowy area does have serious, and i mean serious slowdown issues? even with fog.
its odd that you'd think this is the best looking rpg out there considering your own admission as a graphic whore. its not polished really, that sort of slowdowns kill the polish.

Limedust

If I thought that Koudelka was a giant piece of shit, and the first Shadow Hearts was just okay, does that leave hope that I might still enjoy SH2:C?

belgurdo

Banned
Limedust said:
If I thought that Koudelka was a giant piece of shit, and the first Shadow Hearts was just okay, does that leave hope that I might still enjoy SH2:C?

We're speaking the same language, bud

dark10x

nitewulf said:
so you agree that the snowy area does have serious, and i mean serious slowdown issues? even with fog.
its odd that you'd think this is the best looking rpg out there considering your own admission as a graphic whore. its not polished really, that sort of slowdowns kill the polish.

That was one area. :p

That snowy area just runs really badly. The engine does not handle slowdown welll, for some reason. The fog in use is not being used to mask anything, though. When the camera is behind you, there is no limitation in what you can see. I can only imagine that the fog would only add to the problem, as it isn't being used to hide anyhting.

That is basically the only place in the game with severe slowdown. There are a few others areas, but they are very minor. Most of the game is flawless...

I still think it is the best looking JRPG yet released. What would you vote for?

Okay, I have to admit, I know next to nothing about this game. Mind anyone share some basics about the game? I don't like RPGs, but should I try this one?

ferricide

FortNinety said:
Okay, I have to admit, I know next to nothing about this game. Mind anyone share some basics about the game? I don't like RPGs, but should I try this one?
been skipping all the other threads and the reviews? reviews are out now in mags. surprised there aren't any on sites yet.

it's very traditional and has (fairly infrequent, by genre standards) random, turn-based battles. if that's enough to turn you off, you'll hate it. if you think you can work through that, it's worth a look because it's a really entertaining game with a cool story, cast, and a ton of stuff to do.

MetatronM said:
Man, this is one game that I really want but just simply don't have the money nor the time for right now. :(
Same here, but I bought it anyway. :| I am weak against preorder bonuses and free shipping. Looking forward to playing it, though. Seeing this post (legit?) by Jeremy Blaustein on the localization helped push me over the edge.

nitewulf

dark10x said:
That was one area. :p

That snowy area just runs really badly. The engine does not handle slowdown welll, for some reason. The fog in use is not being used to mask anything, though. When the camera is behind you, there is no limitation in what you can see. I can only imagine that the fog would only add to the problem, as it isn't being used to hide anyhting.

That is basically the only place in the game with severe slowdown. There are a few others areas, but they are very minor. Most of the game is flawless...

I still think it is the best looking JRPG yet released. What would you vote for?

hmm, yeah thats pretty much the only area where the game slows down. there are some other infrequent slowdowns i've noticed here and there, while swinging the camera and ocassionally during battles when there are rocks, explosions, lots of enemies centered on the screen at the same time...but that doesnt happen too often.
as for my candidate, you got me there. i'd say SO3 as well. FFX certainly doesnt hold up, what with the angular joints and jerky animation, SOA is very low poly, and while grandia 2 is very solid looking, SO3 just does a lot more. shadow hearts is ugly (part 1 mind you) and aside from these, i havent played any other rpgs this gen.
its just that, since SO3 does so many things well, sometimes the low poly characters and bland textures look out of place...so even though i'd say its the best looking rpg this gen (so far), i dont think its flawless.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I just started last night even though I picked it up the day it came out(had to work through DJ:NY), and so far I'm liking it... starts of pretty slow but so did the first one wandering in the woods after the nice train opening sequence. I'm VERY happy to hear that the music seems to following the same moody style that the first one had, and they retained a version of the winning battle music from the first.... I'm at work right now but does anybody have their manual handy? IIRC the voice of Yuri in the first one was done by Eric Stuart.. I forgot to check last night but it sounds like he's doing Yuri's voice again in the sequel can anybody confirm?

I'm going to check a faq in a bit because I want to learn a bit more about when I should use combo's as oppose to standard/hard/high angle and knock up attacks... I have no idea what I did with my game manual so I don't remember if it's explained at all in there.

Brandon F said:
Apparently a special trade-in deal is going on which nets up to $20 bonus credit for 5 console games. Score!

MediaPlay has been doing videogame trade-ins here on Tuesdays. Trade 5 games in and get one free. And there are no restrictions on the games. I traded in Madden 2003, NFL 2K3, NBA 2K3, NBA 2K4, and NFL 2K4 and got Pikman2 for free. I think the total trade-in value for the games was listed as like $6 on the receipt

nnthomas said:
Are you sure you just answered your own question?

True, but I'll still try any game from any genre if I hear it's outstanding. You don't have to be a fan of genre to know such and such game is good, and often the best games are appealing to anyone regardless of the intended audience.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
FortNinety said:
True, but I'll still try any game from any genre if I hear it's outstanding. You don't have to be a fan of genre to know such and such game is good, and often the best games are appealing to anyone regardless of the intended audience.

I don't know... I don't care how good whomever has the best hockey game is this year.... I'm not touchin it. ;)

I'm really diggin' on this game. It's like playing FFX, minus all the suck -- it's well-paced, well-written, and never has a cutscene that's too long or a dungeon that's too dull. I can't believe that the same team made the godawful Koudelka or even the original Shadow Hearts -- this game is lightyears beyond both. I didn't think I'd ever really enjoy a bog-standard linear console RPG again, but I'm kinda glad to be proven wrong.

Lyte Edge

FortNinety said:

This is one of the few RPGs I actually like, if that helps. I usually can't stand them either. :) I'm alsways enjoying the (way too easy so far) Megaman X Command Mission as well, but SH2 kicks its ass all over the place.

Top Bottom