• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

I'm hoping that some clever modder figures out a way to make a 4 v 4 competitive multiplayer mode (not death match but rather....have both teams fight through each other and waves of aliens to complete a common objective first)...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How it looks on the grid:

9vwpg.jpg

How it looks on the list:

0TudQ.jpg

Any way to fix this?

Another major difference between this and L4D is the fact that this is free. The larger the audience the more people you're going to have trying out modding it.

syllogism

Patch

Alien Swarm Update Released
Product Update - Valve 11:58
Updates to Alien Swarm have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Alien Swarm
Fixed weapon switch key in the 360 controller config
XP and level are stored in the Steam Cloud
Fixed duplicate rows in the "Find Public Games" screen
Reduced screen shake when you have high ping
Fixed dedicated server always starting in LAN mode
Fixed custom item button binds not displaying properly on HUD
Fixed full network updates causing duplicate client ragdolls to spawn
Added console commands to change game access on the fly (make_game_public and make_game_friends_only)
Fixed welding icon sometimes getting stuck above player's head
Fixed HUD elements being cut off in ultra wide resolutions
Removed cheat flag from a number of cosmetic console commands
Now firing, meleeing, or reloading while welding will break you out of the weld
Fixed spectators earning achievements
Fixed infinite ammo exploit
Fixed XP exploit

coopolon

nilbog21 said:
I'm sure this has been asked, but why is this game free? I'm sure valve could have sold a bunch of copies for 9.99$

I don't think they could have gotten away with $9.99 for this little content. Don't get me wrong, I loved my playthrough of Alien Swarm, I'll probably do it again on insane, and look forward to any new content, but a single hour and a half campaign at 9.99 is pushing it.

For free? Mindblowingly awesome.

Sibylus

Banned
So I'm curious: is the campaign in AS a ported campaign from the old mod? Or is it something the team did whilst at Valve?

DrBo42

Blackface said:
Can anyone confirm if they fixed inviting friends to your created game using a custom map?
I've managed to get it to work. First you have to make sure all your friends have the SDK installed, then you have to make sure that they have the BSP you made in their swarm/maps folder. Create an online game (you can just enter the lobby of one, you don't have to enter an actual map) and then leave it. From the main menu now use the console and type map yourmapnamehere. Now people should be able to join. That was the only way I could get it working.

bestami

I've played the game for 6 hours now which is almost more than i played l4dead. I enjoy the mechanics and i find the unlocks somewhat addicting but i think i'm done with this game (for the moment at least). It literally takes more than 10 minutes for me to find a game (even if i create a game). Even when i do find a game, i often get disconnected or crash to desktop.

I don't know if it's my pc or my connection but i really have to work hard to find a game, jumping thru loading and wait screens. I'd like to jump in and jump out quickly on a fun little game like this. I would pay money to get some decent matchmaking or a nice server list.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god this game is cool. just made it to around level 8 with my guy, was fun. once a team mate dies though :O

fun stuff. my buddy has a crap PC though, so that was :(

Palmer_v1

If anyone out there is making maps or anything and needs help testing, add me on steam and I'll be glad to help.

Steam: Palmer

Teknoman said:
So there are actually bosses in the game, yet none in the first campaign? Strange.

Maybe assets for custom campaigns. Maybe they had some more content that is nearly complete. Don't know.

Holy shit insane is well... insane. We can't get past the Cargo Elevator crescendo. The drones at the beginning are very doable. But the end is just too much. Near the end of the ride that big thing started bombarding us, the turret was empty and we had low health/ammo. And as soon as those doors opened, mayhem ensued and we were greeted with a drone swarm. But that's not enough. No, they have to spawn a few parasites that attacked from behind :(

LeonEight

Neo Member
OmegaDragon said:
Holy shit insane is well... insane. We can't get past the Cargo Elevator crescendo. The drones at the beginning are very doable. But the end is just too much. Near the end of the ride that big thing started bombarding us, the turret was empty and we had low health/ammo. And as soon as those doors opened, mayhem ensued and we were greeted with a drone swarm. But that's not enough. No, they have to spawn a few parasites that attacked from behind :(

I feel that tesla guns are answer to everything at least to your bullet problem. You should have two turrets on the elevator and for the end drone swarm maybe save a missile barrage. Two medics make it pretty easier as well. I think we did it with two medics an engineer and a heavy. All had tesla guns as main weapon.

FoxSpirit

Stallion Free said:
"I can't think of anything off hand that I saw that couldn't be done in a tilebased manner. The layout in each level was 90 degree angles and square/rectangular rooms/halls/whatever."

Since you clearly know so much, drop some dope maps on us that are Valve quality.

Just a hunch here, but I'm gonna say this is unique terrain and not a tile as the level geometry doesn't really lend itself to that:

swarm2010-07-2104-08-35yi6.jpg

But really, go load it up and actually take a look at it.

Hey Stallion, do you also get shimmering on floor grilles? So annoying on my 4850, even with TSAA turned on and on quality setting >.<

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FoxSpirit said:
Hey Stallion, do you also get shimmering on floor grilles? So annoying on my 4850, even with TSAA turned on and on quality setting >.<
Nope, 5850 here and I get no shimmering with the ingame 8x AA.

JudgeN

Anyone never able to join a game? I either get game is full after 10 minutes of waiting or it just sits there and never makings a connection. God damn I want to play but it just won't let me.

Blackface

Banned
DrBo42 said:
I've managed to get it to work. First you have to make sure all your friends have the SDK installed, then you have to make sure that they have the BSP you made in their swarm/maps folder. Create an online game (you can just enter the lobby of one, you don't have to enter an actual map) and then leave it. From the main menu now use the console and type map yourmapnamehere. Now people should be able to join. That was the only way I could get it working.

just tried it an it's not working still. Valve needs to fix this because the game is short, and once you beat it really quickly, there is no point in playing anymore outside of some unlocks.

Generating a map is really easy. Could generate 100 in an hour and play for the next week, but they simply won't work with other people for me.

Keeps telling people they can't connect.

Alot of people are having the same issue.

Loam

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but for any poor saps out there who like myself always seem to miss the train on these sorts of things typing 'openserverbrowser' into console will bring up the normal steam server list (go figure). Much easier to choose a lag free game and almost always prevents the common connection issues.

Wren said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but for any poor saps out there who like myself always seem to miss the train on these sorts of things typing 'openserverbrowser' into console will bring up the normal steam server list (go figure). Much easier to choose a lag free game and almost always prevents the common connection issues.

oh nice

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Dreohboy said:
To enable 360 support....

Go to OPTIONS

KEYBOARD/MOUSE

Enable DEVELOPER CONSOLE

Go into game.

Hit the . key (on your keyboard)

type the following
exec 360controller_xbox

you should then be good to go. You're going to have to familiarize yourself with how the buttons are mapped.

one thing you'll find out. Clicking down on each of the analog sticks will command your unit to stop and guard an area, or to follow you. Push forward on analog stick a little, your guy appears to walk. Push forward all the way, he runs. A button, he jumps, B button, he does a melee attack.

If Valve could tighten up the aiming with the right analog stick the game would be perfect with a 360 controller.

tried this , my controller would not respond, it set up all the things for the controller (i had the drivers installed before i started it just doesn't want to work)
any advice?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Somebody needs to mod in a 'dungeon master' mode where a 5th player can control special events and spawns.

Daigoro

Wren said:

great tip.

jufonuk said:
tried this , my controller would not respond, it set up all the things for the controller (i had the drivers installed before i started it just doesn't want to work)
any advice?

does it work in other games? what OS? did you have it plugged in before you started the game itself?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Daigoro said:
great tip.

does it work in other games? what OS? did you have it plugged in before you started the game itself?

windows7 and have tried track mania and works all fine

edit rebooted the game and notice buttons mapped to triggers etc and it works with the pad nice

still getting it running jerkily on my machine have set the details to low and it doesn't change anything have updated my gfx drivers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Deima Bridge Speed run.
I need some people who are up for this.

Just need to have dual pistols + tesla.

Daigoro

Hazaro said:
Deima Bridge Speed run.
I need some people who are up for this.

Just need to have dual pistols + tesla.

why that setup? (im a noob, dont know whats good or not yet)

and whats your avatar from? space marine in what game?

Acidote

This game hates me. I could only finish the single player training. Everytime I've tried to play with someone, my PC crashed before I could finish any level :(

Daigoro

darkpaladinmfc said:
StarCraft 2!

the hell? how? what?

its not a 40k marine then? :lol

god ive been avoiding any media about SC2 because i suck at RTS, never played SC, and probably wont get the game. but i keep sneaking into the thread taking a look around and then hopping out.

do not want to fall victim to the hype.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Daigoro said:
why that setup? (im a noob, dont know whats good or not yet)

and whats your avatar from? space marine in what game?
Decent movement speed while shooting, good movement speed while reloading, decent damage.

Tesla to slowstun to help others out while you reload / swap weapons.

Closest we've gotten is 2:36. Very annoying. It's hard to pickout what we can do to shave off 6 seconds. Just need to path better / not run into anything, get a perfect hack, etc.

IceMarker

Hazaro said:
Decent movement speed while shooting, good movement speed while reloading, decent damage.

Tesla to slowstun to help others out while you reload / swap weapons.

Closest we've gotten is 2:36. Very annoying. It's hard to pickout what we can do to shave off 6 seconds. Just need to path better / not run into anything, get a perfect hack, etc.
You're team is using adrenaline during hacks right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MrMister said:
You're team is using adrenaline during hacks right?
Nope. That was one thing I saw we could do (after our little group disbanded), but you don't have to use it.
Probably helps a ton though.
Haven't needed to use Adrenaline on the other 3 speed runs we've done. I saw someone do the run in 2:30 exactly with no adrenaline so I'd rather try to do it that way if possible.

The other reason I put those reqs is because they are low level.
Having a flamer and grenade launcher is nice too.

droopy

So is there a way to remove parasites, or do they just need to be outhealed? And I know what leadership is supposed to do, but has anyone noticed it making a real difference? (sorry if these have been asked before)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
droopy said:
So is there a way to remove parasites, or do they just need to be outhealed? And I know what leadership is supposed to do, but has anyone noticed it making a real difference? (sorry if these have been asked before)
Healin / Use shock armor
On Insane... maybe kinda? It's much more apparent when stuff doesn't die super fast.

Top Bottom