• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

MYE

This OT is still better than Alien 3.

tumblr_lxjxyrl0KD1qhj490o1_500.gif

Moofers

Man you buncha AVP2010 haters are haters. That game was pretty cool.

Let me be the 2nd guy in this thread to offer a fist-bump. AVP 2010 did a lot of things right and had pretty unique multiplayer. I really loved the intense games of being locked in the changing temple with 7 other humans getting hunted by one predator. It was pretty amazing at times.

Also really liked the campaigns even though they were short.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Alien3 is better than Aliens. Family space adventure time!

AVP10 did do a few things right. So it was nice to have a game that avoid a lot of the modern trappings(Which is probably why I sort of liked), but it was still a very meh effort.

Desaan

AVP210 was a pretty good shot at the franchise and the multiplayer was fun also. As far as the movies go Resurrection was by far the worst, even Ron 'Awesome' Perlman couldn't save that turd. Aliens is probably in my top 3 favourite flims but I think the games have been done to death, maybe this tie in will inject some fresh life into the franchise gaming wise.

Can anyone tell me what's so bad about this game?

I haven't kept track of it that much to me honest, last videos I watched were a few months ago. I thought it looked...pretty decent?

Am I the only one excited for this game? :D

I always wanted a Alien game where I only play as the marines. As long as the campaign is over 10 hours long, I'll play it and enjoy it. Doesn't have to revolutionize the FPS or be James Cameron's Aliens in video game form. I just want a fun Aliens FPS.

The first Alien is still a great movie even after all these years. James Cameron's Aliens is still fun. I watch these movies once in awhile and they're never boring. Just saw Prometheus. So many questions that I had to look to read a lot of backstory online to know what was going on. I really don't watch the other Alien films though, Alien 3 and Resurrection.

NinjaBoiX

I haven't kept track of it that much to me honest, last videos I watched were a few months ago. I thought it looked...pretty decent?
Eurogamer said the environments were great, but the Aliens were really lame. I think they used an analogy along the lines of:

"The first xenomorph encounter has all the poise and grace of walking in on someone on the toilet. You open the door, and they are just kind of standing there, looking at you."

:(

I think it got tossed around between a few developers before landing at Gearbox. The big worry right now is that we haven't heard or seen much from the game and it's releasing next Tuesday; hence the sparse OP.

I think it got tossed around between a few developers before landing at Gearbox. The big worry right now is that we haven't heard or seen much from the game and it's releasing next Tuesday; hence the sparse OP.

Really? Is it really a Duke Nukem situation? Is that why it was delayed this whole time? I could've sworn I read in that old GI magazine that it was Gearbox developing this all along, kind of like Bros in Arms in Space.

From videos it looks like your standard, scripted corridor shooter.

I can understand why that can be considered bad. In defense to the game, I don't know how else a Alien FPS can be designed though. It's more like the second movie which has lot's of corridors and enclosed areas. I just want to feel that atmospheric tension like in the second film when Ripley walks into the Queen's nest for the first time.

I watched some gameplay videos and other than that beautiful rifle noise the game looks generic and boring. I would love to be proven wrong but I just can not see it being anything better than 'meh'.

Eurogamer said the environments were great, but the Aliens were really lame. I think they used an analogy along the lines of:

"The first xenomorph encounter has all the poise and grace of walking in on someone on the toilet. You open the door, and they are just kind of standing there, looking at you."

So the first encounter in the IGN video isn't how it goes down?

triggaz

Banned

Dude not a single thing is true in your post. Gearbox started this game. There was another Colonial Marines games that got cancelled back in the PS2 days. Ign just had like a 2 hour live stream and it's been at every event. Is it good eh looks average.

I saw a snippet of cutscene where the camera cuts away to two xenomorphs watching the marines from an overlook, like they were planning something. The thing is "filming" them in such a way that forces you to identify with them for even a second kind of misses the point and takes away from the mysterious, ambiguous nature.

Edit: Whoever called it fan-fiction was spot on. And it's from the worst kind of fandom, the one that reduces properties to catchphrases and wiki entries.

Dude not a single thing is true in your post. Gearbox started this game. There was another Colonial Marines games that got cancelled back in the PS2 days. Ign just had like a 2 hour live stream and it's been at every event. Is it good eh looks average.

That's why I said "I think". I know it's been sitting around for a while and recalled the cancelled title from years ago.

As for the live stream? Is there a link to any video from it?

smr00

Banned
Man i remember a Marines vs Aliens game way back in the late 90s i believe where you could play as both but you could level your alien up to a queen and for the life of me i can't remember the name of it.

I remember it being part of a 90s-00s online game service that didn't last a long time but you could play that, some online godzilla game and some online FPS games where you were a fucking wizard.

Hystzen

This is the first game I've seen Derrick hyping the shit out of. He's really excited for it.

I can't wait for the aftermath then when we find out how bad it is

honestly it just looks meh so much potential but don't think it will live up to dev cycle

I think it'll turn out great. Maybe it started slow but will ramp it up. I'd like to reserve my judgment until the full game is reviewed or until I play it for myself. But low expectations are good cause that means it'll exceed my expectations. Nothing's worse than overhyped and being letdown. I'd rather be underhyped and than be like, "Wow, that was pretty good! Much better than I thought!"

It won't be a 9 game, but a solid 8.

Multiplayer on the other hand is a different matter. Have no idea what it'll be like. I just want a fun single player...with a satisfying conclusion. I hate shooters where no thought is put into the ending. Played so many of them. I don't care if they have a cut scene where it implies a sequel. I just want a good ending and than do something like that maybe after the credits.

Mlatador

Banned
In a sense, they do. The engineer is their creator, one who provides them no answers or assurances. They learn that their creation was a senseless, meaningless act and that their existence is without purpose.

That is wrong, too. They meet their "creator", yes, but that's not what humans define as a "GOD". The engineers are, although being almost perfect, still mortal, not allmighty and so on... So no, they are not gods. Half-gods maybe. Their creation was not senseless (we don't know the exact motifs behind it) and therefore the excistence of the humans isn't without purpose as well (provided such highly evolved creatures don't do things "without purpose").

Dyno

There is something to enjoy in all the Alien movies.

An enjoyable Alien game would be wonderful but every single thing I've seen from this game screams b-rated shooter.

jrcbandit

I wish I wasn't such a big Aliens fan, as I pre-ordered from GMG for the pc against my better judgement. I have a feeling it will be a 7-7.5 type of game, hopefully much better than Duke Nukem.

Also, I did enjoy Aliens 3 Alternate Cut, and I even kinda liked Aliens 4 up until the point Ripley gets taken (but I can't watch the movie beyond that point, it is horrible beyond belief).

I got to play the MP at Eurogamer Expo last year and didn't enjoy the experience. Graphically it wasn't that hot either which I think is reflected in the trailers. However, I'm only really interested in the single player and I could give a monkeys about graphics if it scares the pants off me.

Nekofrog

Banned
I wish a game existed that was as great a tribute to the Alien franchise as the Ghostbusters game is to the Ghostbusters franchise.

Wait, there is. It's AvP Gold.

liezryou

Ok guys so i have a 1 week break coming up starting this weekend (not very often in med school) and i need a good game to pass my week. I'm thinking either this or DmC [Omerta was a flop, :(].

AC3 would be my next choice but the fps... Just can't stand the fps drop in boston etc. I'm not much of a shooter fan, which is why i haven't picked up FC3 yet. Help me gaiz xD.

todahawk

c'mon man

this'll be the last Western physical release from Sega that's not Sonic or Yakuza for years

show some respect, at least from a eulogistic standpoint.

Are you here to tell me what a bad eugoogoolizer I am?
..or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogooly was?

That is wrong, too. They meet their "creator", yes, but that's not what humans define as a "GOD". The engineers are, although being almost perfect, still mortal, not allmighty and so on... So no, they are not gods. Half-gods maybe. Their creation was not senseless (we don't know the exact motifs behind it) and therefore the excistence of the humans isn't without purpose as well (provided such highly evolved creatures don't do things "without purpose").

Whether or not the engineers have achieved the super saiyan level to be defined as gods is irrelevant. The fact that they're not almighty just drives home the theme of man's insignificance in the grand scheme of things. The characters all go on this quest not to learn, but to reaffirm themselves. Shaw wants to cement her faith and the belief that a divine will is guiding her life. Wetland believes himself to be so important that god himself would preserve him by giving him more life. When face to face with their maker, they're simply met with a cosmic shrug of indifference.

And you're right, the exact motives for creating life on earth aren't made clear, but that doesn't mean you should go assuming they'd do x for reason y because z. The engineers are intentionally left ambiguous so we can't assign too much meaning to their actions. Consider the exchange between David and Holloway where they talk about how humans created David "because we could" and how disappointing it'd be to hear that from your creator.

DocSeuss

Director's cut?
I like the pacing and edits done... much more enjoyable film.

sorry for the DP

Aliens 3 is amazing and everyone who hates it, as far as I can tell, has been justifiably turned off by the Fox edit, rather than the re-edit that fixes the shit out of it.

Hating on Aliens 3 is like hating on Blade Runner 'cause of the original ending.

Top Bottom