• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What I'm afraid of most is, that Gearbox seem like FANS of Aliens. That's probably the worst thing that can happen if you want to expand on someone elses IP. Because you never go beyond your own personal interpretation of an IP. And Aliens allready was a huge backstep in terms of Lore and ambiguity. At least it was self conscious enough to mock all the marine macho bullshit... yet this game seems to think it was genuine and seems about as self aware as a rock.
None of the original premise (sexism, rape, sadistic pleasure, militarism and corporate fascism, motherhood) seem to be intact. It's all just shoot a lot of Zombie... err Xenos.

Still, the MP should be quite a lot of fun, even if the animation look straight out of The World is not Enough on the N64.
It'd be hard to bring a lot of those themes over, but yeah, it seems to be reveling in the hardware/shooting/badass marine aspect, as well as just recreating key scenes "Look! there's Vasquez' locker! There's the grates the Queen pulled up! Remember the sentry guns?". It's commendable on an "attention to detail" front (weird franchise retconning aside), but I do wonder how much they focused on making it a great game. It's bound to deliver at least some fun-shooting-gallery scenarios, at least.

Further to what someone mentioned earlier, using the lumbering power loaders against 'normal' Aliens does seem fucking stupid, the more I think about it :p

It's a pretty risky route they have chosen, given the nerdish fans of the film (myself included). They've tasked themselves with getting the tone just right, not even in terms of overarching themes or feel, but actual specifics - characters, weapons, locations - from a single movie. So much material to work with but it also restricts how much they can fuck with it.

It'd be hard to bring a lot of those themes over, but yeah, it seems to be reveling in the hardware/shooting/badass marine aspect, as well as just recreating key scenes "Look! there's Vasquez' locker! There's the grates the Queen pulled up! Remember the sentry guns?". It's commendable on an "attention to detail" front (weird franchise retconning aside), but I do wonder how much they focused on making it a great game. It's bound to deliver at least some fun-shooting-gallery scenarios, at least.

Further to what someone mentioned earlier, using the lumbering power loaders against 'normal' Aliens does seem fucking stupid, the more I think about it :p

It's a pretty risky route they have chosen, given the nerdish fans of the film (myself included). They've tasked themselves with getting the tone just right, not even in terms of overarching themes or feel, but actual specifics (characters, weapons, locations) from a single movie. So much material to work with but it also restricts how much they can fuck with it.

It's ultimately held back by being basically fan fiction, leeching off the interpretation of an IP created by someone else allready.
It can be enjoyable, but ultimately it's bound to be nothing more than a novelty item, not a real continuation of the series. It's like a carnival attraction basically.

And yeah, using a powerloader against the small drones is idiotic beyond believe. The loader was used out of desperation by Ripley. It's not helpfull other than against a giant alien Chicken that just had her eggsack blown off, burnt and rode a shuttle through atmosphere into space.

Personally I think the themes of Alien1/3 (and to a lesser extend Aliens) could and should be explored in videogame form. Rape in particular is one subject that would have a huge impact in an interactive context, so is paternal/maternal exploration, sex, pregnancy, sadism, military fascism. Look at Spec Ops the Line for example which covers the fascism quite well.
Aliens actually would provide a much easier and less controversial template to start off. It's still ambiguos and explores some interesting concepts (maternity, fascism, macho culture) that would lend themselves very well to game scenarios and gameplay possibilities.

Trojan X

Banned
VINSKqa.gif

Get out.

Alien 3 is awesome. I grew up with Aliens and I have all 4 movies on VHS and Blu-Ray. After looking at them numerous times I'd have to say that Alien 3 is the scariest one. A real "oh crap, what on earth are you going to do now?! *crap your pants*" rather than the "kill 'em all, kill 'em all, kill'em..... err.. OH CRAPPPPP! ARGH!" None the less, I love the first 3 Alien movies.

Back on topic. If you really think about it, the Wii-U version should be the best experience for Aliens, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
alien 3 would have been an amazing film If they let fincher have his way.
but what we received in the end was just a pile of broken garbage, even the directors cut could not save much.

I just really like the fact that it was a bunch of deranged criminals in a closed environment with no weapons against that thing. It had a lot in common with the first movie.

They were forced to use there wits against the alien in the claustrophobic grimy prison planet made for some intense scenes.

I also thought some of the casting was fantastic. Charles Dance, Danny Glover and the brilliant Pete Postlethwaite.

It's a much better movie that a lot of folks give it credit for just because it isn't a bunch of marines going gung ho on a alien planet.

Trojan X

Banned
I just really like the fact that it was a bunch of deranged criminals in a closed environment with no weapons against that thing. It had a lot in common with the first movie.

They were forced to use there wits against the alien in the claustrophobic grimy prison planet made for some intense scenes.

I also thought some of the casting was fantastic. Charles Dance, Danny Glover and the brilliant Pete Postlethwaite.

It's a much better movie that a lot of folks give it credit for just because it isn't a bunch of marines going gung ho on a alien planet.

Exactly.

Ollie Pooch

I'm a huge fan of the feel of Alien 3. Great soundtrack, amazing atmosphere. So bleak, it really had an oppressive feel of loneliness and hopelessness. I think it falls apart a bit in the second half, though. But yeah the extended cut improves it.

I think the 'gung ho marines' thing sells Aliens short. They all get completely annihilated, it's not "the gunned-up military prevails!" or anything like that.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Count me as one of the people who enjoyed Alien 3. I'm slowly working my way through the Aliens Anthology blu ray and it'll be the next one I watch. Given how nice Alien and Aliens looked, I can't wait.

I want this to not be shit. I've been on an Alien kick lately, and it wouldn't take some masterpiece to satiate me on the gaming front. Crossing my fingers, but not getting my hopes up. That said, the game deserves an actual OT.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm a huge fan of the feel of Alien 3. Great soundtrack, amazing atmosphere. So bleak, it really had an oppressive feel of loneliness and hopelessness. I think it falls apart a bit in the second half, though. But yeah the extended cut improves it.

Yes. It's one of it huge strengths. That amazing palpable grimness mixed with a deep foreboding that they know that most of them are going to die.

It's my favourite Aliens movie.

cyberheater

Alien 3 is awesome. I grew up with Aliens and I have all 4 movies on VHS and Blu-Ray. After looking at them numerous times I'd have to say that Alien 3 is the scariest one. A real "oh crap, what on earth are you going to do now?! *crap your pants*" rather than the "kill 'em all, kill 'em all, kill'em..... err.. OH CRAPPPPP! ARGH!" None the less, I love the first 3 Alien movies.

Back on topic. If you really think about it, the Wii-U version should be the best experience for Aliens, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yes. It was the scariest.

Back on topic. The almost complete silence surrounding the WiiU version has me deeply worried.

DaMan121

Movie would have been awesome if Danny Glover was in it!

AOC83

Banned

I quite liked Alien 3t too. It idn´t play in the same league as 1 or 2 but definitely a solid 8/10.

Id love a version that doesnt have the awful early 90's attempts at CGI in it and jsut used puppets/suits. Cause i do think its a good film, but that CGI is terribad. Its bullshit they jsut killed off Hicks and Newt tho. I loved Michael Beihns response when asked to be in a flashback cameo in A3, he basically demanded an extortionate amount of money he knew they couldnt pay as a 'fuck you' for killing off Hicks :lol

Anyway, A:CM is looking more and more like a 5/10 every time i see it. I guess if youre a big fan, like i am, bump it up to a 7.

Ollie Pooch

Id love a version that doesnt have the awful early 90's attempts at CGI in it and jsut used puppets/suits. Cause i do think its a good film, but that CGI is terribad. Its bullshit they jsut killed off Hicks and Newt tho. I loved Michael Beihns response when asked to be in a flashback cameo in A3, he basically demanded an extortionate amount of money he knew they couldnt pay as a 'fuck you' for killing off Hicks :lol

Anyway, A:CM is looking more and more like a 5/10 every time i see it. I guess if youre a big fan, like i am, bump it up to a 7.
It was blue screened rod puppets wasn't it? Not CGI. Either way it looked like shit.

I wonder when the review embargo lifts. Release day?

Ban Puncher

Alien 3 was just Alien with a bigger budget and shaved heads. Scarier than the original? Fuck no. The leaked scripts of alternative versions of what the movie could of been are thoroughly interesting though, as is reading about all the drama and shit-fits that went on behind the scenes. I thought the film was bloody awful when it was released and after many viewings over the years still think that way but if others find it enjoyable then hey that's cool.

Alien Resurrection was a complete and utter piece of shit and should of been nuked from orbit.

It was blue screened rod puppets wasn't it? Not CGI. Either way it looked like shit.

I wonder when the review embargo lifts. Release day?

Not sure, i thought it was CGI, but yeah, whatever it was it was fucking awful.

Alien Resurrection is another film that actually has a really interesting first draft (i read Joss Whedon's original ideas for the film on a cracked.com article), it wouldve been a million times better if theyd just let him do what he wanted.

As for the embargo, i reckon ummmm..about a day after release :lol

edit:

Also, i loved AVP 2010. The marine sections anyway were awesome.

AHA-Lambda

Lol great OT, I gotta say I was convinced this game would sell well on the brand alone but the marketing has been so bad idk anymore :-/

I'm guessing low 70s meta score and the fact there are not even any high scoring, early pre embargo reviews can't be too good either

Mlatador

Banned
Because it's inevitable.

• Aliens
  • Alien
  • Alien 3
  • Prometheus
  • Alien Resurrection

Wrong, first of all, Prometheus is a fuckin' awesome movie. It is true science fiction and a great spectacle. It captures that special "Alien" feeling of the first movie great. That special "unknown" factor that leaves you wondering and speculating a lot. If you pay close attention to the movie it makes perfect sense.

For the rating, I'd say

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3

with the first being a masterpiece, the second very good and the third (directors cut) "just" good, despite the problems during production.

Alien Ressurection tries to do many things right (it's got ambition!), but is definitely the weakest of the films.

catabarez

Wrong, first of all, Prometheus is a fuckin' awesome movie. It is true science fiction and a great spectacle. It captures that special "Alien" feeling of the first movie great. That special "unknown" factor that leaves you wondering and speculating a lot. If you pay close attention to the movie it makes perfect sense.

Man. I lost it.

Ollie Pooch

Lol great OT, I gotta say I was convinced this game would sell well on the brand alone but the marketing has been so bad idk anymore :-/

I'm guessing low 70s meta score and the fact there are not even any high scoring, early pre embargo reviews can't be too good either
I'm more puzzled that the Wii U version still has no release date.

Sojgat

It does make sense. Of course it's hard to get the movie at first view, but it's got a very interesting story nontheless.

If you have seen the movie and think there are many unanswered questions, feel free to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEx7pdp2-Q (warning, massive spoilers, do not watch it if you haven't seen the movie but still plan to!)

I found the film boring, silly, and not scary at all. I never felt baffled by it, or thought it needed further explanation, it was just bad. Elba and Fassbender were great though, and it's very pretty to look at.

Mlatador

Banned
I found the film boring, silly, and not scary at all. I never felt baffled by it, or thought it needed further explanation, it was just bad. Elba and Fassbender were great though, and it's very pretty to look at.

Well, that's ok if it's not your cup of tea. You know, "Alien 1" got a lot of flack from viewers and reviewers alike when it came out. Same goes for "Blade Runner". Just saying.

Anyway, I'm happy that Prometheus did so well and that there will be a sequel.

TentPole

Prometheus is the best sci-fi film since Blade Runner as far as I am concerned. Also, Alien 3 is a pretty good film too.

cj_iwakura

Weird, I thought the hype for this game was off the charts, when did the apathy set in?

They mostly come out at night.

Mostly.

Stitch

Gold Member
Alright, List Wars

Aliens
Alien
Alien³
Alien Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator
Alien vs. Predator 2
Poo-Poo
Prometheus

Well, that's ok if it's not your cup of tea. You know, "Alien 1" got a lot of flack from viewers and reviewers alike when it came out. Same goes for "Blade Runner". Just saying.

Anyway, I'm happy that Prometheus did so well and that there will be a sequel.

Prometheus was very pretty to look at but it was the worst film I've seen in probably about 10 years. I had hand cramps for hours after the movie from all the face palming I did.

Top Bottom