• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

aliens infestation |OT| "you heard the man, assholes and elbows!"

27xoyva.jpg

Aliens: Infestation
System: Nintendo DS
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: WayForward Technologies
Release Dates: NA (October 11th) EU (September 30th)

a1l79f.jpg

Aliens Infestation is a 2D sidescrolling action adventure that takes place in the month after the events of James Cameron's Aliens, but before Alien 3. A team of Fox-Six marines led by one Lieutenant Colonel Patrick Steele is sent to investigate a distress beacon from the lost war ship, the Sulaco.

Over the course of the adventure you will control a total of 19 colonial marines as they attempt to get to the bottom of the distress signal, the manipulations by the mega-corporation Weyland-Yutani, the lethal lifeforms waiting in the shadows.

Gameplay is a mix of run and gun and stealth but also peppered with vehicle sections, all weaved together in the familiar "Metroidvania" style of play.

Now you know what you're in for marine, it's time to board that express elevator to hell, GOING DOWN!

2ly02oh.jpg

As it's developed by WayForward Technologies, you can expect brilliantly detailed 2D sprites for all 19 invidiual marines. Each one has their own unique look and personality which is expressed in things like taunts, victory celebrations, and even some awesome idle animations. All the portait art for each grunt was designed by famed Marvel Comics artist, Chris Bachalo.

The Aliens themselves are nicely detailed; from eggs, facehuggers, chestbursters, drones, warriors, queens, and even a few new Alien designs to add to the fray.

Aliens-Infestation-5.jpg
Aliens-Infestation-4.jpg
ss_preview_aliens_infestation.jpg.jpg
aliens-infestation-screens-20110721001522941_640w.jpg

9prfo6.jpg

Aliens: Infestation has 4 major environments:

1. The Corridors of the Sulaco
2. The Surface of LV-426
3.Inside the derelict space craft from the first movie
4. A research facility on the planet Phobos.

You progress through each area in a linear fashion, but each one has it's own large map that has blocked corridors, sealed-off vents, and locked blast doors that all need specific tools, skills and weapons to bypass.

You control 4 marines in your squad at a time and whenever one of them gets wasted, you can use a back-up marine to fill that spot. You can also collect weapons like the smart gun, pulse rifle, flamethrower, and even apply multiple upgrades to each one.

2m5nxie.jpg

TRAILER
FEATURES TRAILER

20jsk6o.jpg

Official Nintendo Magazine UK - 82/100
EUROGAMER - 80/100
NGAMER - 80/100

Reviews for Aliens Infestation have been pretty positive thus far. Critics have praised the amazing sprite work, tight gameplay, and tons of fan-service and well-written dialog that can be found during the campaign.

Some of the negatives have been it's relatively short playing time, (around 5 hours) and that the audio component is a little on the ho-hum side, but that's more of a flaw of the Nintendo DS's sound capabilities than the game itself. The speakers of the Nintendo DS can hardly be matched up to the bombastic and memorable sound effects and music found within the films.

I'm very curious to hear GAF's take on this one. I'm trying to hold off on buying it because of the insane amount of games coming out the next few months, but if impressions are positive enough I'll probably cave in.

Its out in the PAL regions, been playing it on and off since Friday, really enjoying it so far. I like the fact it forces you to slow down and take your time. You can't just run in guns blazing or else you'll be dead in no time.

One minor thing I was thinking of is the motion tracker kinda makes things easier then they need to be. Its annoying be able to see where things are on the map and kinda ruins the suspense of having Aliens jump out on you. Would be better if it just sounded when stuff was nearby but not show where they are on the map.

I know its Wayforward and we should expect as much but it just floors me at how good this looks and just how well it animates. Like the little animators for leaping over boxes or the idle animations for the marines in the save room. Soo good.

I'm just soo happy that after all this time the game has been released, after that leaked footage back in 08 or whenever it was and then nothing for ages on it. They've really done an amazing job and I can't wait to see what they do with the next generation of handhelds.

Amalthea

Banned
Such a great game, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be better than the console versions.

I'm on the second run now, trying to complete the game without loosing a single marine.

The characters are a little small for my liking, but it's a solid game. Best DS game I've played for a while.
The guy at GAME didn't even know the game existed, he had to go through the back and look through the games that were fresh delivered. :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wish this was made for the 3DS, would be suited to some 3D style side scrolling action.

If anyone that has the game, has any further details or suggestions for me to add to the OT, please let me know! Either in here, or via PMs!

iceatcs

It was okay. Not brilliant.

The level design is boring, near every rooms look same. A whole game is quite short. I think you can finish it under 5 hours. The final boss is far more easy but it took long time took down. It won't hit you very much if
you standing in any middle platform with ladders, better on the last one

No main character, the marines are just like a life bar aka 4 marines mean 4 life hearts.

One little minor gribble I'm having about the game at the moment is the designs of the marines. When they are idle in the save room their all look different and unique with their own designs. But the minute you select them they seem to morph into the generic marine design albeit recoloured. I'm sure it would of been a pain to do animations for all 19 marines but it just irks me a little when you have these awesomely designed individual marines but they all kinda look the same when your playing as them.

Spwn

When I saw it's made by Wayforward I got interested. Will probably pick it up later - love the Alien films.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Worthintendo said:
One little minor gribble I'm having about the game at the moment is the designs of the marines. When they are idle in the save room their all look different and unique with their own designs. But the minute you select them they seem to morph into the generic marine design albeit recoloured. I'm sure it would of been a pain to do animations for all 19 marines but it just irks me a little when you have these awesomely designed individual marines but they all kinda look the same when your playing as them.

This is something they discuss in one of the devblogs - the most recent one, I think.

kokujin

Banned
SalsaShark said:
DAY GOD FUCKING YES

its like the genesis is back

JMPerona said:
This game is incredible! Its like a Mega Drive all over again, and that is something good! I love it!

Since you both mentioned the Genesis,I am now officially interested.What game on the Genesis does this play like?Aliens 3?

@MUWANdo said:
This is something they discuss in one of the devblogs - the most recent one, I think.
Just had a look and it was pretty much for the reasons I thought, it would have taken ages to animate 19 different Marines so I don't blame them opting to go the way they have.

Goody

Very, very excited for Infestation. Parish just solidified my purchase. There's nothing I love more than a Metroidvania.

I should probably watch Aliens, since I've never seen it.

Disappointed about the length. I didn't mind paying $12 for Shantae, the game was brilliant, but over double that is a bit much. I'm sure I'd like the game fine but I'll be waiting for a price drop.

Kind of a bummer about the length of the game. I'm also hearing there's no New Game+ from forums.

Still, it looks like a cool Alien game and I love WayForward games.

5 hours isn't that bad I guess. It's a little bit shorter than the Metrovanias but longer than Metroid Zero Mission/Fusion.

I think it should still be fun.

Good review by 1up. I think it sold me on the game.

man, that female in the OP art is all dolled up to go fight some xenomorphs!!! Chopstick in hair and everything!

as far as the game, to this day Alien3 (SNES) is my favorite Alien franchise game. This gives me good vibes. I'll definitely check it out.

"Guess she don't like the co'nbread, eitha..."

jufonuk

not tag worthy
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm very curious to hear GAF's take on this one. I'm trying to hold off on buying it because of the insane amount of games coming out the next few months, but if impressions are positive enough I'll probably cave in.

but ASAP it's amazing, i nearly comleted it today but the game crashed on the last boss, it's a hell of a ride and a great game not perfect some flaws or design choices that make me go hmm, but on the whole it's awesome, do not not delay buy one today!!

eXistor

I had a blast playing this. It doesn't compare to the greats in the genre, but it's a worthy addition. The game is on the easy side when you get used to the controls and it does repeat itself a bit too much, but the graphics are fucking ace and it's a lot of fun exploring the environments. I'm so glad they stuck to Aliens and not any of the other of the movies in the franchise and they really nailed the tone too.

Aliens has actually had quite a few great games to its name. Alien 3 on both SNES and Genesis were fantastic, Aliens vs. Predator is supposedly pretty good, though I never played it. Now Aliens: Infestation and later Aliens: Colonial Marines which is looking pretty cool.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
anyone else wish
you could take two main weapons into battle and that reload was a button press?
hardly ever use the lock feet for aiming button...maybe what I spoiled could be game breaking...not saying I don't mind it the way it is now, just would be nice...also game is so good almost missed getting off the train at my terminating stop, I was that engrossed in the game.

kokujin said:
Since you both mentioned the Genesis,I am now officially interested.What game on the Genesis does this play like?Aliens 3?

I loved that game, although owned the superior Snes version, so i'm interested in the answer

Top Bottom