• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

todahawk

Unicorn said:
360 will have a larger install base because the ps3 demo turned a lot of people off. for over a week ps3 people couldn't even play online. Why would they want to buy a game they don't even think they could play online? fixes or not.

i didn't ask the question but thanks, I've had a 360 for a while but haven't played any games multiplayer. I'm thinking of getting the 360 version of AvP.

edit: waffling now, don't play fps's on the 360 at all but i don't think anyone on my friends list is getting it...

Luka, would it be out of place to start up a 360/PC/PS3 list of gaffers in the OP? Or should we get a separate thread going in the MP forum?

Unicorn

slasher_thrasher21 said:
West Coast. Arizona to be exact. Also I just went out for my 27 th birthday and returned a bit fucked up from the alcohol. Though yes, the game is alot of fun. I actually player a tiny bit more but I'm too drunk to react quick enough and the aliens are scarying the shit out of me so I will try this again tomorrow! lol:lol
fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu i'm in arizona! which kmart?!?!?!

Bah, I really want them shiny tesselations, but I'd need to upgrade my windows AND my videocard. =(. Stupid microsoft holding back my smooth aliens.

Sill4

I'm 2 states away from AZ, but I'm likely going to to go hunting (lol) at local K-Marts now.

I'm craving the team modes so badly that the thought of the Deathmatch demo sickens me
yet I still play it

Can someone who has the game confirm if you can set up a species deathmatch that has only marines vs aliens, no predators? One that anyone can join, not just a private match?Thanks.

I know there's that Infestation mode, which sounds cool, but Im talking about team deathmatch.

Unicorn

Found a few copies at a local kmart. So far the marine campaign is awesome. Dunno what GI was talking about. The lighting is REALLY well done.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Mako_Drug said:
Any word on performance differences between 360 and PS3?

I'm completely torn since I don't want to shell out for XBL gold but I also want peeps to play against and it will likely sell much better on 360. :(

I tried the ps3 demo and I was actually surprised how well it looked and played compared to the pc version. I mean it was 30 fps and a much lower resolution, but from early impressions I was expecting a lot worse. If the pc version wasn't an option I wouldn't be reserved about picking it up on ps3. I don't have a 360 for any in-depth platform comparisons.

TehSw1tch said:
Kinda dissapointed there's no Predator quotes at all in there, I mean, I know the commandos from Pred aren't really represented in the game, but still.

Bill Paxton was not in Predator. :p

Well played the first levels of all the different species. Marine is a blast. I feel scared, outnumbered, and the lighting just rocks in general. I was freaking out near the end of the first level at one part. AWESOME stuff.

Alien Campaign is awesome. Get to see how it starts! Feels really fast.

Predator!!!! PEW PEW PEW with the lasers! Awesome. :D (yes I said awesome alot.)

Overall they all feel pretty different. Gotta play some more tonight! Will give further impressions after I get farther.

CENOBITE

Happy Valentines day!

predator.jpg

Unicorn

My work day can't end soon enough. Can't wait to fight off swarms of aliens with my buddy tonight.

Speaking of which, are the servers online? I assume so because of the demo.

Unicorn said:
My work day can't end soon enough. Can't wait to fight off swarms of aliens with my buddy tonight.

Speaking of which, are the servers online? I assume so because of the demo.

Seemed that people were online but not very many. Perhaps we should buddy up tonight. Whats your tag?

Volcynika

Sullen said:
Do steam releases usually go up at midnight the day of release or..? Don't have much experience with it.

I'm not sure of the usual setup. Like L4D2 went up at midnight EST. Mass Effect 2 had a preload 48 hours prior to release. BioShock 2 went up at midnight PST. Consistency is not an easy thing to find with these :lol

Razor210

After finally playing the PS3 demo as a marine, I have come to the conclusion that this game is based completely on distances:

Less than 25 feet from a alien = death
Between 25 feet and 50 feet = 70% chance of death from alien, 100% chance from predator
Greater than 50 feet = 50% chance of death from predator

All these count if person turns and looks at me. How come marines don't get 1-hit kills? And why is the block useless?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
From the (good) videos I've seen, block seems pretty effective, especially with a quick counter afterwards. A lot of people just don't get it though.

Neuromancer said:
Can someone who has the game confirm if you can set up a species deathmatch that has only marines vs aliens, no predators? One that anyone can join, not just a private match?Thanks.
Anyone, anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Unicorn said:
You can't. Species deathmatch let's you choose of the three, so everyone would have to NOT want to be preds.

We'll have to wait and see what kind of server-side parameters are available for dedis.

Unicorn

luka said:
We'll have to wait and see what kind of server-side parameters are available for dedis.
Yeah. The tessellation and dedicated servers are enough to make me double dip for this game when I get my new gaming pc.

In the PS3 demo, I know for a fact there is a setting under Create Match that let's you specifically designate slots for humans, aliens or predators.

I'm just wondering if that's for a Private match only, since that's the only way I could get it to work in the demo. I was hoping the full game would let you do that for a regular player match.

TheExodu5

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Anyone, anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

You'll undoubtedly be able to do so in the PC version at some point.

Unicorn said:
I'm sad there's no lan and split screen.

Dedicated servers but no LAN? How does that work exactly? I mean, the server IP address would have to be obfuscated to you for that to be the case and they'd have to handle game traffic through an intermediary to do that. I have trouble seeing how they could block LAN play through direct IP connections.

Persona7 said:
Any big differences between console versions?

I'm leaning towards the ps3 version.

When in doubt, I'd go 360. Also, people had issues finding games in the PS3 demo...I wouldn't be surprised if a small userbase made this the case in the retail version. This won't be a terribly popular game.

jsrv

Persona7 said:
Any big differences between console versions?

I'm leaning towards the ps3 version.
I doubt anyone would be able to tell at this point. You could wait it out a bit for when other sites publish console comparisons

NIGHT-

So is the Hunter edition pretty rare? I already have my copy preordered from a while back, but can't find it being sold online anywhere now

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When in doubt, I'd go 360. Also, people had issues finding games in the PS3 demo...I wouldn't be surprised if a small userbase made this the case in the retail version. This won't be a terribly popular game.
I couldn't find games to play on either version of the demo, to be honest.

TheExodu5

Banned
Razor210 said:
After finally playing the PS3 demo as a marine, I have come to the conclusion that this game is based completely on distances:

Less than 25 feet from a alien = death
Between 25 feet and 50 feet = 70% chance of death from alien, 100% chance from predator
Greater than 50 feet = 50% chance of death from predator

All these count if person turns and looks at me. How come marines don't get 1-hit kills? And why is the block useless?

One thing to remember is that the game will be very team-focused in reality. Marines have a much bigger advantage when in groups.

HooCares

Neo Member
Great OP Luka. One correction though. The console versions are not matchmaking only - unless I read the post from the Rebellion dev wrong at AVPG, the console versions will have matchmaking and private servers (hosted on the host's console of course).

Unicorn

I should be doing hw said:
That seems odd considering the large majority of people that played AvP2 well beyond the time it was sold was at LAN parties etc.
This is on the 360 version. It seems the PC will get all the bells and whistles, so I've got my fingers crossed that would have LAN.

TehSw1tch

Banned
luka said:
I tried the ps3 demo and I was actually surprised how well it looked and played compared to the pc version. I mean it was 30 fps and a much lower resolution, but from early impressions I was expecting a lot worse. If the pc version wasn't an option I wouldn't be reserved about picking it up on ps3. I don't have a 360 for any in-depth platform comparisons.

Bill Paxton was not in Predator. :p

I'll have to read the OP again. I swear, all I recognized was Aliens quotes.

Razor210

TheExodu5 said:
One thing to remember is that the game will be very team-focused in reality. Marines have a much bigger advantage when in groups.
So we got a deathmatch mode for the demo why?

Cheech

TehSw1tch said:
Not much better than Game Informer's review; incredibly low score, but doesn't actually explain all these horrible problems the game supposedly has.

Still though, that's another strike against it.

No, the Gamespot review explained it pretty well. He thought the controls sucked and the level design/geometry is a mess, essentially. Which is true. I found the demo enjoyable overall, but I did feel as though I was fighting the controls a lot.

Still, you have to give "fan points" to the game if you love the creatures. I'm still planning on picking up my CE tomorrow.

TehSw1tch said:
Not much better than Game Informer's review; incredibly low score, but doesn't actually explain all these horrible problems the game supposedly has.

Still though, that's another strike against it.

Review seems to indicate lot of problems. It basically boils down to a large amount of little things that just make it seem meh.

Top Bottom