• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

TehSw1tch

Banned
RavenFox said:
What? No Mack and Billy?
I'm going to have to bleed you and leave you here even if whatever's out there ain't no man.

They're can only be 4 marines playable at one time. Mac and Billy are awesome, but I gotta go with Blaine and big pussy jokes.

Sill4

BravoSuperStar said:
Well it's not so much a dependency on reviews as a lower overall average usually means a quick price drop. I have a substantial backlog along with the BF:BC2 beta/pre-order. I want this game, but if a price drop is likely to happen quickly I don't see any reason to rush into it.
This is true, and I do feel that the game will have a price drop. I'm still going to get it asap, because it's such a different experience from the other game I play. But people on the fence, yea it might be smart to hang back a couple of weeks.

TehSw1tch said:
They're can only be 4 marines playable at one time. Mac and Billy are awesome, but I gotta go with Blaine and big pussy jokes.
Yeah, but he only makes those jokes to Billy!

Unicorn

A lot of negativity now, over 2 reviews, both from sources that rely heavily on cashflow. Remember the whole Gamespot business over Kane and Lynch? and Game Informer's review was just spotty. Both neglect the Multiplayer because they coudln't try it... This game's strongpoint. The story campaigns are to get you familiar with mechanics and weaponry, plus they have a few cool segments. a couple times I actually got really into it. Especially the endings.
Even if they are just alluding to a sequel

Major spoiler here:
Sequel will be on Xenomorph's HOMEPLANET!

panda21

Unicorn said:
A lot of negativity now, over 2 reviews, both from sources that rely heavily on cashflow. Remember the whole Gamespot business over Kane and Lynch? and Game Informer's review was just spotty. Both neglect the Multiplayer because they coudln't try it... This game's strongpoint. The story campaigns are to get you familiar with mechanics and weaponry, plus they have a few cool segments. a couple times I actually got really into it. Especially the endings.
Even if they are just alluding to a sequel

Major spoiler here:
Sequel will be on Xenomorph's HOMEPLANET!

why would cashflow sites have an incentive to give a fairly low profile release a low score?

and the other reviews that gave it a good score also couldn't have played the multiplayer, so how can you trust them any more than these?

Unicorn

panda21 said:
why would cashflow sites have an incentive to give a fairly low profile release a low score?

and the other reviews that gave it a good score also couldn't have played the multiplayer, so how can you trust them any more than these?
I was implying that they didn't get paid enough to rate it higher...

Objectively speaking, I'd give this game's single player a 7/10. Has some replay value, but Alien campaign was short, but environments were varied enough. Marine campaign was good, with a nice mix of enemy types and areas to fight in. About to do the Pred story now, so I can give some insight on that later today.

Multiplayer already has very high potential. Survival was really fun and tense when it was just me. Can't wait to play it with some friends yelling for help and backup. Species Team Deathmatch will be amazing no doubt, seeing as when my friend and I teamed up as the only aliens on the demo and would flank and distract the marines.

Salz01

Man after the demo fiasco I was over this game. Than this OP got my hype back up(GJ LUKA), and then reading through the negative reviews has me bummed out again. Oh well, I'll still rent it this week.

Gigglepoo

AvP has a lot of issues. I'm sure some people will ignore them or just don't care about lousy level design and context-sensitive controls that don't work, but there are standards out there, and AvP falls far short of comparable games.

Unicorn

Gigglepoo said:
AvP has a lot of issues. I'm sure some people will ignore them or just don't care about lousy level design and context-sensitive controls that don't work, but there are standards out there, and AvP falls far short of comparable games.
How so? The context sensitive stuff is rarely there, aside from harvesting as Alien and the rare Vent hopping in one level.

Combine said:
I'm just kind of curious why they gave the franchise back to Rebellion. Sure they made the originals, but were those really that good? It always sounded like Monolith's take in AvP2 was much better received, so it's too bad that Monolith weren't asked to do it.

Monolith especially at least has a far far better resume and record with FPS's thanks to NOLF and FEAR than Rebellion has had comparatively. Plus they learned their redundant level design lesson after FEAR1.

I was also afraid the storyline of this game would be crap when Rebellion mentioned how it they were taking a lot of influence from the AvP MOVIES (not the other, better AvP material out there).
well, the only reason 2 went to monolith was that Rebellion wanted to be given two years to make it, and Fox wanted it out sooner than that.

Monolith did a good job on AvP2 (MP is better, SP is worse imho) but are now owned by Warner Bros... so they aren't going to be making any games based on Fox properties for Sega or anyone else.

Sullen

Raydeen said:
Did they speed up the Marine so he doesn't appear to be moving in bullet time the entire game?

The marine wasn't that slow to begin with? Especially when you sprint. :lol

Unicorn

Raydeen said:
Did they speed up the Marine so he doesn't appear to be moving in bullet time the entire game?
Um. Yeah. Controls felt fine all game; didn't even think twice about it. Pred story is a lot more than stealth too btw. Further raising question to the GI review.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
O noz. Teh aliens are hard to control! :( :( :( :p

Seriously though. I adore the way the alien handles. I feel way more in control and like a capable hunter/stalker than I ever did playing the original games. This game should never be played without autotransition anyway, so strike against that review.

Really if anyone was expecting a CoD-polished fps you were deluding yourselves. I for one am thankful there are developers still willing to cater to a more old-school design sensibility. The GS review strikes me as one hastily thrown out so he could get back to playing MW2.

19 hours!

EDIT: Here's some species deathmatch. :D

Unicorn

luka said:

Seriously though. I adore the way the alien handles. I feel way more in control and like a capable hunter/stalker than I ever did playing the original games. This game should never be played without autotransition anyway, so strike against that review.

Really if anyone was expecting a CoD-polished fps you were deluding yourselves. I for one am thankful there are developers still willing to cater to a more old-school design sensibility. The GS review strikes me as one hastily thrown out so he could get back to playing MW2.

19 hours!

Just got done playing some Survival with Slasher from here and it was really fun. Didn't make it as far together as I did on my own though. Aliens seem to have more health and the waves are bigger.

Can't wait for some Species TD though once more people have the game.

Also, what're the skins for preordering at gamestop? Are they exclusive or just early unlocks?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Alternate thread title: Aliens versus Predator Thread of Forgetting to buy Ad space on Launch week.

Gattsu25

Banned
luka said:

EXACTLY

When that complaint popped up (having to hold the L trigger) I stopped paying attention to that critique. To bad that critique was about the only negative he had to say about the isolated areas about that game that I care about (single/multiplayer as alien)

Unicorn

Gattsu25 said:
EXACTLY

When that complaint popped up (having to hold the L trigger) I stopped paying attention to that critique. To bad that critique was about the only negative he had to say about the isolated areas about that game that I care about (single/multiplayer as alien)
Alien controls are infinitely better than the previous games.

Sill4

luka said:

19 hours!

I like the map they showed. Less cluttered than the demo for sure.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Come to think of it, the reviews will more than likely mean nothing to me. I loved Dante's Inferno and Gamespot gave that a 6.5.

Anyhow, Gamestop's automated message just called me telling me AVP will be in tomorrow at noon. The store guy told me it ships on the 16th and probably won't arrive until the 17th. Hopefully, I get game tomorrow.

Unicorn

Changing pyramid map is really cool. Only 2 maps for survivor. One is small underground ruins and the other is military base that opens up more and more as you make it through more waves.

todahawk

Alrighty, hopped back into the demo (re-downloaded) and even though I died a lot as a Marine I still had a fair bit of fun.

No flares for deathmatch?

I'm gonna play some more later tonight... any gaffers wanna play later shoot me an invite
psn id = todahawk

Gigglepoo

Unicorn said:
How so? The context sensitive stuff is rarely there, aside from harvesting as Alien and the rare Vent hopping in one level.

Wall climbing as an alien is a pain because of the lousy context-sensitive controls.

Though I've only played a few hours of the campaign (marine only) and then multiplayer, so I've got less than five hours total with the game. It may get better the more you get used to the controls, but they are far from good.

Unicorn

Gigglepoo said:
Wall climbing as an alien is a pain because of the lousy context-sensitive controls.

Though I've only played a few hours of the campaign (marine only) and then multiplayer, so I've got less than five hours total with the game. It may get better the more you get used to the controls, but they are far from good.
A tip: when the cursor glows, press jump button to leap to where its aiming. Alsoo hold right trigger to just transition. Don't press it. Hold it

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Gigglepoo said:

AUTOTRANSITION.

Also what "comparable games" let you run along walls and ceilings?

Jenga

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
hold space

it actually feels quite simple and fluid once you get a good handle on it

Gigglepoo

luka said:
Also what "comparable games" let you run along walls and ceilings?

A cool idea doesn't make for a good game, unfortunately. But like I said, people will ignore these problems or deal with them. There are issues, but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy it anyway. I gave up after a couple hours, but I'm sure people who like the universe more will be happy to plug away.

Unicorn

I'm wondering when ill start to see more people online. Since tomorrow is the ship date, would the east coast be able to have it at midnight tonight? I mean I'm on the west coast and kmart had it on shelves on Saturday.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm beginning to think monkies play and review games at Gamespot. One of their main complaints with almost all the big games lately has been "broken controls." They bitched about Darksiders controls and now they're bitching about AvP controls, yet I have no problem with either, and no one else has mentioned this. Perhaps Gamespot needs some new controllers.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to tomorrow. I played the demo only sparingly, and could never play as anything other than a Marine, though I kicked plenty of ass with them. Still brings back my memories of AvP team species deathmatch LAN games at school.

Persona7

Banned
Those 2 reviews are stupid. The points they bring up can be applied towards pretty much EVERY FPS IN THE PAST TEN YEARS.

I'm still buying this game at full price.

Sullen

Persona7 said:
Those 2 reviews are stupid. The points they bring up can be applied towards pretty much EVERY FPS IN THE PAST TEN YEARS.

I'm still buying this game at full price.

Yup, same.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

What comparable games? AvP 1, AvP 2, and Natural Selection?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whining about the alien controls is like whining about a complicated RTS. It has a learning curve, deal with it. With auto transission on it controls fine. Just because you cant pick up and play it immediately doesn't mean it controls badly.

I dont know why some people think that. How many games have you crawling across every surface at high speeds? It's going to be disorientating and confusing no matter how you spin it or how much time you spend tweaking the controls.

I'm sure there are a number of genuine issues with AvP, but when it comes to the alien all I hear is "Well I tried to play as the alien and found it hard so it controls badly".

It controlled fine in AvP. It controlled fine in AvP2. It controls fine here. Learning curve =/= bad design.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh I do have an issue with alien controls other than transitioning (which I think is fine, btw). It's the fact that jumping is context sensitive. Sometimes I just want to jump, but in the next few milliseconds, I'll end up passing my crosshair over a nearby wall or ceiling and I'll latch on to a surface unwillingly.

Take the demo, for example. There's a hole in one part of the map. Trying to fall straight down through that hole is an exercise in frustration as it's very hard not to jump without latching onto anything, and you can't just walk straight into it with transitioning until you're upside down.

Unicorn said:
Changing pyramid map is really cool. Only 2 maps for survivor. One is small underground ruins and the other is military base that opens up more and more as you make it through more waves.

Speaking of this, had alot of fun playing survivor with you man! Damn the team kills though... -855 points! lol:lol :lol

Unicorn

Sullen said:
Yup, same.
And it'll be worth every last cent. What little multiplayer I CAN play is hectic, tense, and fun.
TheExodu5 said:
Oh I do have an issue with alien controls other than transitioning (which I think is fine, btw). It's the fact that jumping is context sensitive. Sometimes I just want to jump, but in the next few milliseconds, I'll end up passing my crosshair over a nearby wall or ceiling and I'll latch on to a surface unwillingly.

Take the demo, for example. There's a hole in one part of the map. Trying to fall straight down through that hole is an exercise in frustration as it's very hard not to jump without latching onto anything, and you can't just walk straight into it with transitioning until you're upside down.
Why would you want to do that? Strategically you're safer on the ceiling. Otherwise just go through the hole, be on the ceiling, then tap the right trigger and you'll drop off. Trigger pressing will drop you from w/e surface you're on. Helpful if you're dissoriented.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
TheExodu5 said:

If you fall through the hole you'd end up on the floor. That's not how the alien rolls. >:V

I'm not joking when I say I NEVER touch the floor unless I'm killing something.

Unicorn

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Speaking of this, had alot of fun playing survivor with you man! Damn the team kills though... -855 points! lol:lol :lol
Was a lot of fun. Now I can only find domination games which can be frustrating and boring when all but one person quits. Mixed species team DM is odd too. Hard trying to be an alien and work with a marine when I'm so Much faster.

Most fun yet was infestation though. Really intense.

aegies

The game is getting bad reviews because it's not good. I understand that in some ways, it's a game that someone could convince themselves they really like because of the fan-service, but as someone who's seen Aliens something like 36 times, has bought every Alien and Predator movie multiple times, who has watched the bonus material for every movie in the quadrilogy multiple times, who saw AVP and AVP: Requiem in theaters, it's not worth 60 dollars. It just, isn't.

Truant

aegies said:
The game is getting bad reviews because it's not good. I understand that in some ways, it's a game that someone could convince themselves they really like because of the fan-service, but as someone who's seen Aliens something like 36 times, has bought every Alien and Predator movie multiple times, who has watched the bonus material for every movie in the quadrilogy multiple times, who saw AVP and AVP: Requiem in theaters, it's not worth 60 dollars. It just, isn't.

So you've played the full game?

TheExodu5

Banned
aegies said:

I have no attachment to AvP. I hate the Predator movies and don't care much for Aliens. The AvP movies are god awful. On top of that, I rarely buy FPS. I'm never one to purchase mediocre FPS. A game doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be good and bring something new and different to the table. It's why I like Half-Life 2, The Darkness, STALKER, and now AvP (at least from the demo).

aegies

Truant said:
So you've played the full game?

My review will be up tomorrow. My gamertag is the same as my tag here, if you care to inspect it.

I wanted to like it. I really did. You'd be better served buying some Alien or Predator or AVP graphic novels. My favorite is probably Aliens: Salvation.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
aegies said:
My review will be up tomorrow. My gamertag is the same as my tag here, if you care to inspect it.

I wanted to like it. I really did. You'd be better served buying some Alien or Predator or AVP graphic novels. My favorite is probably Aliens: Salvation.

I can't wait. Is "it just isn't" going to be the basis for your entire review? That would bring it in line with the other 2 "bad" reviews. On another note, since when is 5 bad? On a 10 scale, 5 is average.
Maybe you should realize that some people appreciate different things in games and don't want everything to be a mainsteamed CoD clone with 2-button mechanics, nor do they care if it's super sleek and polished if it offers something unique. STALKER was one hell of a glitchy, unpolished game but it has a substantial following because it goes against the grain. Going by the demo, I like the game. I liked the old ones and I like this more. Someone else's opinion isn't going to change that. It's worth my $60, thank you.

aegies

luka said:
I can't wait. Is "it just isn't" going to be the basis for your entire review? That would bring it in line with the other 2 "bad" reviews. On another note, since when is 5 bad? On a 10 scale, 5 is average.
Maybe you should realize that some people appreciate different things in games and don't want everything to be a mainsteamed CoD clone with 2-button mechanics, nor do they care if it's super sleek and polished if it offers something unique. STALKER was one hell of a glitchy, unpolished game but it has a substantial following because it goes against the grain. Going by the demo, I like the game. I liked the old ones and I like this more. Someone else's opinion isn't going to change that. It's worth my $60, thank you.

No, I like to think I'm pretty specific. I like using examples, but I'm not in the habit of making lists. If you played the shit out of the demo and loved it, and if all you want is, essentially, the same AVP Rebellion made 10 years ago (and really, it is really, really, really similar, mechanically and aesthetically), then more power to you. But the point of my review (and the other "bad reviews" you mention) is to appraise it insofar as I've been given that responsibility to do so. Hopefully, the text speaks for itself. If it doesn't (and, well, probably even if it does), I'm sure that some of the AVP defense force that's manifested will let me know about it.

Top Bottom