• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"All Aboard Florida" privately financed hourly train service from Miami to Orlando.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Only thing for me is the station location in Fort Lauderdale is just north of the main bus stop which is just shit central. Maybe it would get the city finally off its ass to clean up the area.

Orlando International Airport signed an agreement to be the final stop going north.
http://www.allaboardflorida.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/GOAA_OOCEA-press-release-FINAL.pdf

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/17/florida-orlando-airport-idUSL1N0I72OR20131017

The improvements include four additional international gates, upgrades to the ticket hall and baggage screening areas, an automated people mover, and a rail terminal to accommodate the announced All Aboard Florida, a privately financed initiative to provide train service between Orlando and Miami.

This was the first press release
http://www.allaboardflorida.com/wp-...ll-Aboard-Florida-Announcement_03-22-2012.pdf

•What: Florida East Coast Industries (FECI) is developing a privately owned, operated and maintained intercity passenger rail service that will give business and leisure passengers a new convenient, environmentally friendly and cost-effective way to travel between South Florida and Central Florida.

•Where: The new route will feature passenger service along the existing Florida East Coast Corridor between Miami and the Space Coast and the creation of new tracks into Central Florida. Stations are currently planned for downtown Miami, downtown Fort Lauderdale, downtown West Palm Beach and the future South Terminal at the Orlando International Airport.

•When: Approximately 195 of the 235 miles of Right of Way (ROW) needed are in place and the corridor has been used for rail operations for more than a century. This gives the passenger rail service a jump start to begin operating in the shortest timeframe possible. All Aboard Florida is focused on choosing its rolling stock, identifying exact station locations and other significant decisions that will affect the overall timeline.

•Who: FECI would own, operate and manage the passenger rail line.

About the Train
•Travel time: The new passenger rail service will transport passengers between downtown Miami and Orlando in approximately three hours.

•Schedule: All Aboard Florida will offer hourly service starting in the early morning with last departures in the evening. All Aboard Florida is also determining tailored schedules for special events and venues.

•Stations: Station design is advancing. The route will include stations in downtown Miami and Orlando, with intermediate stops in downtown Fort Lauderdale and downtown West Palm Beach. Stations will provide access to international airports, seaports and existing transit systems.

•Services and amenities: The new passenger rail service will provide premium amenities, including Wi-Fi internet service, gourmet meals, reserved seating, and will be fully equipped with easy-on/easy-off baggage compartments.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/18/3293733/all-aboard-florida-on-track-for.html

Originally announced in March 2012, All Aboard Florida service was expected to launch in 2014. The start date has been moved back to 2015, Cumber said in a recent interview.

Aside from the delay, the project is on track.

The company’s $1 billion plan features 16 round trips a day from early morning to late evening with stops in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach — with service possibly starting in late 2015. Trains would run hourly and each one-way trip would take about three hours.

Investment-grade ridership studies are complete, Cumber said, and FECI has received environmental approvals for its West Palm Beach-to-Miami segment and acquired land for its West Palm Beach station

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/18/3293733/all-aboard-florida-on-track-for.html#storylink=cpy
iyPOmi3E19cEr.jpg

Whoop there it is! Love the good it says it will do for traffic and job creation.

However, I like driving to Orlando so I can get around easier in a car I don't have to rent.

Also wondering what one way tickets will cost, and if there is a discount on buying roundtrip.

Camp Lo

Banned
With the weak local transit systems, this loses a lot of utility.

I was just going to say that, especially for Orlando metro and surrounding counties. This place is built for owning a car. Miami, last I visited, had a much better local transit system than here.

Ripclawe

Banned
Just want to point out that the state and even tea party groups are supportive of this ;)

The only hitch that might come up are the idiots who live near the tracks want "quiet zones" but that is moving along fine.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Cool, I never wanted to stay in Orlando cause I find it tacky, so I'll be able to do Miami-Orlando, go to Disney World then come back the same day!

Ripclawe

Banned
IF they build a lot of parking for long term, it will be great. Honestly no one really wants to take south florida transit unless they have too especially in Broward.

Jaleel

Awesome, any idea on how much a ticket will cost? Never rode on a train before so I don't have the slightest clue.

Damaniel

Banned
This isn't high speed rail. The high speed plan was dumped. This is slow ass train.

A slow ass train that will probably have highly inflated fares to recoup the high cost of building rail lines. And since the Republicans are solidly in charge down there, I doubt there will be much in the way of environmental impact studies done, and regulations will probably be ignored or discarded when following them might cost the company a few extra dollars. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

We'll just see how this little experiment ends up. Personally, I think infrastructure is better handled by government than private industry.

Zoolader

It's not high speed rail but we needed something dammit! That's great that Tampa is included, maybe it will increase Tampa Rays ticket sales, lol.

edit: We just need a train from Tampa Bay to St. Petersburg for that to happen. Really they just need to move that damn stadium into Tampa Bay. /rant

edit 2: FUCK Tampa just a proposal, why do I even still live here.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Aboard_Florida

Operating speed

79 mph (127 km/h) Miami – West Palm Beach

110 mph (177 km/h) West Palm Beach – Cocoa

125 mph (201 km/h) Cocoa – Orlando (This segment of the proposed line will operate at speeds of up to 125 miles per hour (201 km/h). This segment will almost meet the United States Code's definition of high speed rail which includes rail services that are "reasonably expected to reach sustained speeds of more than 125 miles per hour".[14] The Congressional Research Service also uses the term "higher" speed rail for top speeds up to 150 miles per hour (241 km/h))

makes sense, no way you could pull a high speed in the tri county area.

Tampa is just a proposal not set yet, also some politicians are asking about going to Jacksonville which they can just sit down and wait

Mr.Swag

Banned
First: fuck Rick Scott.
Second: can't wait for this.
Disney/universal trips are about to become so much easier.

Pyrokai

Ohio dumps high speed rail. Florida dumps high speed rail. California wants to dump high speed rail (or did that also officially get dumped?)

...............why.....????

Mr.Swag

Banned
Ohio dumps high speed rail. Florida dumps high speed rail. California wants to dump high speed rail (or did that also officially get dumped?)

Probably behind the scenes lobbying.

This country has people that just dont want progress and a better future.

Ripclawe

Banned

Money. The big reason why the Orlando - Tampa high speed was dropped that financially it made no sense even with fed money. It was just 86 miles and multiple stops and it was dumped on the state to fund the maintence, upkeep after the initial build.

It was just a really stupid plan.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This isn't high speed rail. The high speed plan was dumped. This is slow ass train.

So, how long is the trip from Orlando to Miami then?

Edit: Answered. Not that bad for a non-high-speed then. Kinda disappointing it isn't high-speed, but I do wonder the safety/technicalities of that with hurricanes and rural roadwork to get that going.

Pimpwerx

This is a good idea, plus it should make TriRail less of a worthless piece of shit. This should get my sister to finally take my nephew to Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens.

Of course, I'd much rather they expanded the Miami metrorail north to Golden Glades. It serves decent stuff west of I95, but if it could get to the Golden Glades hub, it would make it possible to get to stuff like Joe Robbie Stadium and the like without having to drive. I live on the bay, but the park and ride is cheap, and I'd be more encouraged to ride my scooter to the nearby station and travel around via rail on weekends. As it is now, I drive almost everywhere. PEACE.

Ripclawe

Banned
ugh... Now all they have to do is block off that area from the bus station to city hall which is just a wretched collection of druggies, crime and just a disgraceful place in general for any decent person to walk around.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...orida-orlando-international-airport-passenger

FORT LAUDERDALE — A largely ignored area at the north edge of downtown could be transformed into a new city center, with housing and retail rising around a landmark rail station that connects people to trains, buses and streetcars.

All Aboard Florida, the private Miami-Orlando passenger rail service, announced Friday it will build a 25,000-square-foot station adjacent to the Florida East Coast Railway tracks on Northwest Second Avenue, between Broward Boulevard and Northwest Fourth Street.

"We selected this area since it's strategically located in close proximity to cultural, entertainment and employment centers and connections to other transportation options," said Michael Reininger, president and chief development officer of the $1.5 billion privately funded venture.

It is the last of four sites to be picked; the others are based in the downtowns of Miami and West Palm Beach, and at Orlando International Airport.

All Aboard Florida, owned by Florida East Coast Industries of Coral Gables, is buying up other parcels near the station site to spur development, which could include a mix of high-rise condos, apartments, shops and restaurants or offices. The other South Florida stations similarly are expected to be magnets for development.

Construction on all the stations is likely to start next year or as soon as site plans are approved. Service is set to begin running in 2016.

Both the Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach stations will feature a 35-foot wide passenger platform between two tracks. The "island" platform design allows passengers to board from either side. In Miami, the tracks and platform will be elevated four stories to avoid blocking downtown streets. In Orlando, the station would be about a mile south of the main airport terminal and have space for a future spur of central Florida's SunRail commuter train and a proposed magnetically levitated system from the airport to the Orange County Convention Center.

In Fort Lauderdale, escalators and elevators will take passengers from the platform to a multistory lobby west of the tracks for ticketing, luggage handing and a lounge. The station will be able to add platforms on the outside of both tracks for a future commuter rail line.

The company expects it will take trains three hours to make the 235-mile trip between Miami and Orlando. The service will run on the existing Florida East Coast tracks to Cocoa, then head west along new tracks built next to the BeachLine Expressway to the Orlando airport.

Fares haven't been set for the service, which is largely geared toward tourists and business travelers. Once they arrive, passengers will be able to rent cars, pick up a taxi or shuttle, or walk about three blocks to catch a bus or streetcar.

More trains mean downtown commuters will face additional waits at crossings but officials say the shorter passenger trains — 16 a day in each direction — will pass through crossings in about 52 seconds. When trains are stopped at the station, the crossing gates at nearby Broward Boulevard will remain up. That will last for only about two minutes before the trains depart.

All Aboard Florida considered building its station at Las Olas Riverfront, but there wasn't enough room.

The 2.7-acre site chosen is now occupied by a vacant lot and a small strip center. It's on the opposite side of the tracks from the central bus terminal used by Broward County Transit. The route for a proposed streetcar called The Wave will run one block east of the tracks.

No direct links are yet planned between All Aboard Florida's station and the bus terminal or streetcar. There will be parking for up to 200 cars adjacent to the station, and that lot may eventually be developed into a garage with other uses.

The tracks will be reconstructed north of Broward Boulevard to allow for the platform, which will stretch 900 feet from north of Broward to south of Northwest Fourth Street. The platform will require the closure of Northwest Second Street at the tracks but the city said that won't impact emergency response times.

"It's hard to think of an area that is more geared to transit-oriented development. The bus terminal is there. The Wave station will be there," Fort Lauderdale City Manager Lee Feldman said. "You can't get any more transit-centric than that."

In downtown Miami, the largest of All Aboard Florida's stations will be built on mostly vacant land between the Government Center and Overtown Metrorail stations. The West Palm Beach station would occupy two acres north of City Place and west of the Clematis Street entertainment district.

Jag

I'd still probably drive. It's a pretty fast 3 hour trip. It would take me 30-40 minutes just to get to the station from out west anyway.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Amused by all the Rick Scott hate in here, he would be in favor of this (private rail over public rail).

This is still pointless for me over in north Tampa, but good for you guys on the East coast

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'd still probably drive. It's a pretty fast 3 hour trip. It would take me 30-40 minutes just to get to the station from out west anyway.

Yeah. I've done the drive 3 times now over the past 8 weeks and it's not so bad - you're usually flying 90MPH with everyone else. Being able to cut through the Turnpike is great - but this railway is going East to Daytona first and then south. That's a huge amount of time wasted. But at least the thing will go 125MPH which is fantastic, imo.

gcubed

so when this goes under due to low ridership because of insanely high ticket prices can the government buy it in bankruptcy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom