• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PSP bullshit goes in here

Alcibiades

I think that's the problem, there's no "bullsh*t",, there isn't any news or info, even during TGS...

DS didn't even do a gameshow, it's just the starting waves of an uprising from gamers, developers, and analysts that want original, innovative, great gameplay instead of the same old thing...

Papi

Maybe we need a controversial post, like if i were to say that the PSP has no analogue control.
Please discuss.

Rahul

In defence of PSP, I thought the concept model design was really nice and their solution for the analogue stick (putting it in the middle of the d-pad) was brilliant. But it was not to be.

PSP.JPG

And wtf? If you search Google Images for PSP or Playstation Portable, the only thing that shows up is the concept model. Where's the actual design?

Thank god for Eurogamer.

PSP_Tilt.jpg

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The worst thing that could have happened to the PSP is that it could have been graced with buttons that sit flush with the face of the unit.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Really, the current model is LEAGUES better than the initial concept model. Damn I'm glad they reworked it, it looks fantastic now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In defence of PSP, I thought the concept model design was really nice and their solution for the analogue stick (putting it in the middle of the d-pad) was brilliant. But it was not to be.
If you think about it for more than 10 seconds, it would never work. Maybe with some kind of click-out mechanism, but still that would activate when you use D-pad and you don't need analog.

Rahul

Marconelly said:
If you think about it for more than 10 seconds, it would never work. Maybe with some kind of click-out mechanism, but still that would activate when you use D-pad and you don't need analog.

Yeah, I guess so. I just thought it was cool. The end solution with the "nub" instead of an actual stick obviously works better or they wouldn't have chosen it for the finalised design.

TekunoRobby said:
Really, the current model is LEAGUES better than the initial concept model. Damn I'm glad they reworked it, it looks fantastic now.

Yeah. The concept model reminded me of flat touchscreen designs a la Star Trek, which seemed pretty "futuristic" and different to what we have at the moment (like in the final design). But judging by how they reworked it, it obviously wasn't all that practical.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Rahul said:
Yeah. The concept model reminded me of flat touchscreen designs a la Star Trek, which seemed pretty "futuristic" and different to what we have at the moment (like in the final design). But judging by how they reworked it, it obviously wasn't all that practical.
No no, I'm with you that does sound cool. I guess what we had in our heads was different than what Sony actually wanted to acheive with that analogue style.

It's the flushed buttons and d-pad (among other design choices) is what I didn't like. That's why I'm so enthused over the new model, it really does look a whole lot better.

wipeout364

I like the new design. The concept seemed unusable IMO with the button design and controls.

Just out of curiousty why does all the PSP stuff go in this thread. That seems retarded. I mean why don't you then have just have six threads ( ie XBOX, PS2, CUBE, GBA, NGAGE, PSP and DS) for the whole forum.

Secondly these large threads suck ass, very difficult to follow new anouncements since you end up having to wade through pages of bullshit, I find them really unreadable. I seldom ever look at these sticky threads for that reason.

Just an opinion.

Alcibiades

wipeout364 said:
I like the new design. The concept seemed unusable IMO with the button design and controls.

Just out of curiousty why does all the PSP stuff go in this thread. That seems retarded. I mean why don't you then have just have six threads ( ie XBOX, PS2, CUBE, GBA, NGAGE, PSP and DS) for the whole forum.

Secondly these large threads suck ass, very difficult to follow new anouncements since you end up having to wade through pages of bullshit, I find them really unreadable. I seldom ever look at these sticky threads for that reason.

Just an opinion.
i agree, I mean, I just saw a story about Harrison (from Nintendo) apparantely saying about this Christmas that shortages are good.

would make a great thread with some colorful discussion, but I feel it's going to get totally ignored in the DS thread...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Before we go any further, I'd like for efralope to state his intentions for being in this thread. Do you have *any* intention of maybe possibly playing (nevermind owning) a PSP in the next 5 yrs? If not, why are you here?

Alcibiades

ok, I'll stay out, if everyone without an intention of buying/owning a certain system or playing a certain game will stay out of any threads related to the respective system or title...

oh wait: :lol

no I won't...

Kon Tiki

Banned
efralope said:
I think that's the problem, there's no "bullsh*t",, there isn't any news or info, even during TGS...

DS didn't even do a gameshow, it's just the starting waves of an uprising from gamers, developers, and analysts that want original, innovative, great gameplay instead of the same old thing...

Oh just shut up.

There was a not one but TWO nintendo shows this week.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"All PSP bullshit goes in here"

You can really tell that this forum is pro NDS :p

oops, there's another NDS bullshit thread too. A little bit too late. And I don't like this idea cause it's fucking difficult too actually READ the important stuff. I suggest somehow to make threads into miniforums, and contain sub-threads that highlight the important stuff. Like you click on the NDS thread, then you can view a list of threads where you can talk about a particular game that just got announced. Having everything in 1 huge messy thread sucks.

Alcibiades

Society said:
Oh just shut up.

There was a not one but TWO nintendo shows this week.
um, I was referring to indications about PSP details coming from Tokyo Game Show... that was what my post was about, not the DS...

price, battery, release date, launch games, quantity, etc, weren't these things supposed to surface at the Tokyo Game show?

much bigger event and much more covered with more extensive media than the little shows Nintendo did...

I mean, as a gamer, I'm genuinely interested in these details, ever since the PSP announcement at E3 2003. If Sony puts out kiosks at games stores like Nintendo does with GBA and will with the DS, then I don't see why I wouldn't try it out. I have played PS-X and PS2 quite a few times, was playing Amplitude just a couple of days ago (bought it from that overstock.com deal) and have a buddy that's a big-time PS2'er that's always having me check out his new titles (I'm too nice to bash and generally respond with semi-sincere remarks like "oh, wow" and "pretty cool" He supposedly knows I hate Sony and like Nintendo, but considering how he blabs on about his games I have little-to-no interest in, maybe he doesn't know to what extent...)

Anyway, I don't plan to own one ever, true, but as it's competition for Nintendo, it does garner my interest. If N-Gage were a serious competitor, I'd be all over the details on the system...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
efralope said:
ok, I'll stay out, if everyone without an intention of buying/owning a certain system or playing a certain game will stay out of any threads related to the respective system or title...

oh wait: :lol

no I won't...
I'm not suggesting you have to stay away, I'm just questioning your ability to stay on topic. Its a thread about PSP news and info, not a thread for you to continue your love-fueled Nintendo rhetoric. I can see how you'd be interested in the PSP as a competitor to Nintendo's own efforts, but unless you can talk about the PSP on its *own* merits, or lack thereof, then you're likely to just derail this into another PSP vs. DS thread. Threads get derailed all the time - it's not an achievement to be proud of. So I just figured, maybe we could ask you to rise to a different kind of challenge than what you're used to :)

Alcibiades

kaching said:
I can see how you'd be interested in the PSP as a competitor to Nintendo's own efforts, but unless you can talk about the PSP on its *own* merits, or lack thereof...
yeah, that's what I did, or rather, lack of merit on Sony's part in divulging information on the system, the point about the DS was more about the newly created threads and a point about why there were more DS threads than PSP threads (simply more info on system, games, launch, etc...) than trying to turn it into a DS vs. PSP (which should be apparant, since I'd made the point that there was little PSP info to go on in terms of release news). If I wanted to start a DS vs. PSP discussion, I'd probably go into the specs and unique features of each, but I didn't, cause that wasn't my intention...

efralope said:
i agree, I mean, I just saw a story about Harrison (from Nintendo) apparantely saying about this Christmas that shortages are good.

would make a great thread with some colorful discussion, but I feel it's going to get totally ignored in the DS thread...

SInce this isn't in the DS thread, I'll respond here: How is this rhetoric not good? The PS2 was selling for 700 dollars on Ebay that Christmas. This was reinforcing the notion that it was must have despite the fact the launch line-up sucked. The DS launch is a retread and bunch of 3rd parties. I said before the silence reminded me of a Sony launch, and now that the silence is replaced by unimpressive facts, the best thing that can happen is Nintendo convincing the world there's gonna be a massive shortage. If you don't have the products, hype is your most valuable asset.

Atlus needs to start rleeasing info/pics on Princess Crown and Persona. Persona's been rumored all this gen, so its nice to see that it's actually coming.

I'm also interested in exactly what Sony's MMORPG turns out to be.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
efralope said:
yeah, that's what I did, or rather, lack of merit on Sony's part in divulging information on the system, the point about the DS was more about the newly created threads and a point about why there were more DS threads than PSP threads (simply more info on system, games, launch, etc...) than trying to turn it into a DS vs. PSP (which should be apparant, since I'd made the point that there was little PSP info to go on in terms of release news). If I wanted to start a DS vs. PSP discussion, I'd probably go into the specs and unique features of each, but I didn't, cause that wasn't my intention...
Efralope, lack of info about the PSP is lack of info about the PSP. It doesn't need to be related to anything else for that point to be clear. Referencing the DS in this thread, esp. to refer to the "starting waves of an uprising..." in relation to it is just pathological on your part and says nothing specifically about the PSP. Like I said, looking to see if you can think different here... :)

pcostabel

Gold Member
Carbon Pillars Power Microbatteries

Madou and collaborator Chunlei Wang say they have improved current flow even further and made room for more electrolyte by designing a unique electrode made out of carbon that looks like a bed of blunted nails [see photo, "Pillars of Power"]. The nails in this case are 400 micrometers tall, with 20-µm gaps in between. Each alternating row comprises anodes, followed by a row of cathodes. Because the electrolyte can get in between the prongs, there is a huge increase in surface area. And putting the anodes and cathodes in close proximity means the ions in the electrolyte do not have to travel far. It is the microscale equivalent of raising the speed limit on a highway and widening it to 10 lanes. According to the researchers, a battery using such an electrode can generate 78 percent more power than a stacked-plate microbattery of the same volume.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
OMG! After 20 years they are FINALLY starting to do something to the battery technology. About damn time. Battery tech is so far behind everything.

Bregor

I'll believe it when it's on the market.

You have to keep in mind that everyone knows that better battery technology is needed, and that they have been working to develop better battery technology for many decades. The slow progress is a good indication of the difficulty of the problem.

tenchir

I wonder how much it will cost.....

The lithium batteries I bought for my laptop and pocketpc are pretty expensive, about $120 and $50 respectively. Since this is new tech, it will be very pricy.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Atlus needs to start rleeasing info/pics on Princess Crown and Persona. Persona's been rumored all this gen, so its nice to see that it's actually coming.
I'd imagine Persona PSP is a PS1 remake/port rather than Persona 3 (which was rumored for PS2/GC awhile back). Same goes for Princess Crown PSP (being the Saturn game)... though I'm not complaining. PC beter make it to America this time. :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
belgurdo said:
I luv PSP so much I be buying 2
Fo sho. I'll be buying three, one for me and two for mah hunnies. You know cuz the rob man can't be rockin it ALLLL night. A little Ridge Racer and a little MG ACID goes a long way, awww yeah.

Ok seriously, I hope Sony has some fashion accesories for this badboy available at launch. Tweaking the public perception a certain way can make it go from hi-tech gadget to social masterpeice a-la Ipod. And the PSP certainly has the sex appeal going for it, all it needs is the public image and accesorized flair. None of this "wearing it around your neck" stupidity... or is it? Lord knows any of us can rationalize Japanese (or any) fashion these days.

Rahul

Bregor said:
I'll believe it when it's on the market.

You have to keep in mind that everyone knows that better battery technology is needed, and that they have been working to develop better battery technology for many decades. The slow progress is a good indication of the difficulty of the problem.
Or, like gasoline, someone out there is just fine with their income for now and doesn't need some newfangled 3000% more efficient battery power to take away their bread and butter.

jarrod said:
I'd imagine Persona PSP is a PS1 remake/port rather than Persona 3 (which was rumored for PS2/GC awhile back). Same goes for Princess Crown PSP (being the Saturn game)... though I'm not complaining. PC beter make it to America this time. :)

Persona would have to be a remake since it looks extremely dated now, unlike something like ToE or PC which still look very nice. They could do a Persona compilation which would be be very cool. That way Persona Innocent Sin could finnaly see a US release.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
90 minutes + 78% = 160.2 minutes.

Even if it were implemented it wouldn't silence criticism.

garrickk

The solution to PSP battery life is time. Sony is pushing out the most powerful system they can with an awesome display and 2hr battery life. That's not enough for mainstream people, probably, but it will be enough for many early adopters. If it's not for you, wait.

In 2 years, with the chips more highly integrated and manufactured on a smaller process, add in an OLED display, and the PSP will start to approach 8-10hr. Or, they might shoot for 4hr and make it slimmer and lighter. Who knows.

The device is being designed with a 10 year life cycle in mind - meaning they have to go for powerful processing now. Wait 2 more years and get the PSP 1.1. It will be durable, affordable, great battery life, and a nice library of games (and it will still be more powerful than any other handheld). Let the early adopters pay for the growing pains, as long as Sony is upfront and honest about the system shortcomings.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The device is being designed with a 10 year life cycle in mind - meaning they have to go for powerful processing now. Wait 2 more years and get the PSP 1.1. It will be durable, affordable, great battery life, and a nice library of games (and it will still be more powerful than any other handheld). Let the early adopters pay for the growing pains, as long as Sony is upfront and honest about the system shortcomings."

Bravo!!

Agreed. I wouldn't have a problem if Sony would just come out and say "okay, it's only 2 hours, but WHAT a 2 hours!!!" instead of ignoring the issue/changing policy for games coders so that the battery doesn't get hosed.

Then later down the line, they can as you say introduce the 1.1 with a lower price and better battery life.

The only problem they have is convincing developers to commit resources and funds to games that might sell badly for a year or so due to a low user base.

impirius

The solution is a little woman by your side who will swap your depleted PSP for a charged one every two hours.

</reggie>

Vibri

Banned
Pulse on G4 was just showing direct feed of RR PSP and some Japanese producer talking about it - looks SO SMOOTH and fast. The Need For Speed PSP stuff shown after looked ASS by comparison. How can EA spend millions and still be outgunned by a (probably much smaller team at) Namco.

RR PSP is now officially my most wanted hand held game. Keep your driving sims, I want my liquid fast wireless arcade racing joy. :p

snapty00

Banned
PSP is going to suck for the first year or so. I think that it looks awesome long-term, but right now, it's going to suck. The machine is just too powerful for 2004. Certainly, it can come out this year, but it's going to come out with 2004's technology shortcomings. I'd imagine by mid 2006 or so, the battery life will be significantly better, both because of a better battery and because they'll find ways to make the hardware itself more economical.

I'm not really convinced we're going to see big, official upgrades like the Game Boy Advance SP, though. I think they'll be quiet upgrades that happen whenever a major improvement in hardware can be made, similar to the PlayStation 2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pulse on G4 was just showing direct feed of RR PSP and some Japanese producer talking about it - looks SO SMOOTH and fast.
Hehe, now imagine that at the crystal clear screen at the native, unprocessed resolution (even the direct feed would lose something in the transfer and broadcast to the TV screen)

The Need For Speed PSP stuff shown after looked ASS by comparison. How can EA spend millions and still be outgunned by a (probably much smaller team at) Namco.
I'd assume that Namco has not only had a final devkit for a lot longer, but probably their graphics team was helping Sony write the system libraries, or at least having the early access to them.

Well that, and Namco graphics guys simply do seem to know their stuff better than EA which relies on middleware.

Phoenix

Marconelly said:
Well that, and Namco graphics guys simply do seem to know their stuff better than EA which relies on middleware.

WINNAH! A custom engine will beat a middleware engine everytime. We don't know that's the case (EA using middleware and Namco not) here though.

Phoenix

The solution is time (to the battery life problem), but you have to take into account a couple of other things:

CPU power requirements will go down with time as will heat when they move the PSP to a different fab process.

There are better display technologies coming down the pipe like OLED which look better, don't require a backlight, etc. which will make the need for a larger batter moot (if they choose to use it)

Sony may bet smart and start bundling a memory stick with the PSP so that developers can cache large portions of the content on the memory stick as opposed to the UMD (this would be a smart yet extremely costly move for them however).

Sony CAN use a larger battery. The figures I've seen for the battery are either 1500 or 1800.

Noone has yet to talk about the power requirements of the online experience for neither the PSP nor the DS. Wireless comms consume an incredible amount of power and one of the most touted features for both platforms has yet to come to the light of scrutiny.

I am almost astonished that no one has caught the most detrimental issue to the battery life issue - I have yet to see anything that says that the battery can be replaced by the user. You can have the greatest battery in the world but when it start getting weaker (likely within 14 months for the average gamers who will be recharging often with the figures we've been seeing), can you replace it?

Matlock

Banned
Wario64 said:
"All PSP bullshit goes in here"

You can really tell that this forum is pro NDS :p

oops, there's another NDS bullshit thread too. A little bit too late. And I don't like this idea cause it's fucking difficult too actually READ the important stuff. I suggest somehow to make threads into miniforums, and contain sub-threads that highlight the important stuff. Like you click on the NDS thread, then you can view a list of threads where you can talk about a particular game that just got announced. Having everything in 1 huge messy thread sucks.

This all sounds like SA. :p

Of course, the one post made in the SA gaming forum (specifying: don't be a dickhead) is possibly the best post I've ever seen in a forum...gaming or no.

Top Bottom