• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All your WiFi devices are broken, Android/Linux devices particularly devastated

Android phones have very bad track history with updates and that's even from large phone makers. Phones several years old will never be patched.

RuGalz

The only thing your average person is going to care about is “can they get into my Surface Pro or iPhone and get my data”. If said person gets the update for those devices automatically, like most are set to do, that’s where their concern is going to end. Even my HUE system gets updates through the app. Will a smart fridge eventually stop getting updates and could be open to a hacker sitting outside wanting to use it for ddos attacks? Maybe, crunch some realistic numbers and give us the percentage on that. Regardless what’s the real world scenario of what an average person is to do? Pitch their fridge because it MIGHT be used ddos attack PSN? Good luck with that. This is the disconnect between tech people and average people.

Average person aren't going to know wtf any of this means or even care either way unless it's dumb down to 'you are fucked unless you update' so it's kind of doing its job. Rest were just example of how it can affect rest of the world. If you don't care, that's fine too.

pronk420

The only thing your average person is going to care about is “can they get into my Surface Pro or iPhone and get my data”. If said person gets the update for those devices automatically, like most are set to do, that’s where their concern is going to end. Even my HUE system gets updates through the app. Will a smart fridge eventually stop getting updates and could be open to a hacker sitting outside wanting to use it for ddos attacks? Maybe, crunch some realistic numbers and give us the percentage on that. Regardless what’s the real world scenario of what an average person is to do? Pitch their fridge because it MIGHT be used ddos attack PSN? Good luck with that. This is the disconnect between tech people and average people.

What is actually possible isn’t really clear from the articles I’ve seen, but if it allows people to use your WiFi to get free internet access and snoop all unencrypted traffic so long as your fridge is around, that’s a massive problem.

Noema

For the time being, keep in mind that:

• The attacker has to be in range of the victim (ie, he has to be able to receive wireless signals from your router)

He has to know what he's doing and have malicious intent.

There has to be at least one Linux / Android device connected to the wireless network in question to compromise it. It's not that windows / Mac OS / ios aren't vulnerable ; it's that currently the exploit is most damaging in Linux based devices but everything that can connect to a WiFi is vulnerable.

HTTPS websites can also vulnerabl in combination with this exploit

Both routers and clients can be patched to disarm the vulnerability. Unfortunately most of the vulnerable devices will never be patched.

low-G

What does "won't realistically affect Windows devices" mean?

I believe it is that a hacker could not cause your patched Windows client to divert to a different channel and connect to the hacker’s own AP to utilize the flaw, but that may only be one facet of the flaw.

pmj

Just got a patch that seems to be for this for my Ubuntu system, but I wasn't using wifi with it anyway. Worried about my phone though, as I doubt Asus will ever patch this old and shitty model.

RF Architect and Engineer here.

Your devices aren't broken, there's just an exploit that makes it easy for someone to decrypt your traffic as well as insert themselves as a MitM. It requires the perpetrator to be on site and actively working to decrypt the traffic.

You are going to be fine. This exploit has been known internally for about 45 days. Patches for most devices are already on their way out.

sangreal

What does "won't realistically affect Windows devices" mean?

windows and iOS do not accept the re-transmission message that the main attack relies on. there are a number of different issues described in the paper though, and all clients are susceptible to the broadcast group key vulnerability

epmode

HTTPS websites are also vulnerable.

Could you explain how someone could get, say, what you type into a Google search if you're using a compromised device? As far as I can tell, the most an attacker can see is your encrypted packet data which would be useless for them.

emag

They are safe as long as they're connected to the patched router. If they connect to an unpatched router they're vulnerable.

The hack works by spoofing a known router/AP. It doesn't matter if the real router is patched if the client is tricked into connecting into the spoofed AP.

I understand that only the traffic from those devices could be affected, Am i right?
My kids use smartphones and 3ds and vita but just to play games and youtube and maybe netflix, so basically netflix password for example if not encrypted could be in danger¿?

Yes.

Other devices , if patched , should be safe if at same time connected to router?

Yes.

I don't really understand how this work, if router is not patched but PC or smartphone is, the data sent from those can be spied if another unpatched device is connected to the network?

This is a bit confusing.

Patched PC/smartphones are safe. A "KRACKed" device isn't actually connected to your real router, but a "fake" router in the area that's spoofing your real router, so your real network and patched devices aren't directly at risk.

I'd like to know this too. My brother has an older Samsung tablet with a custom rom that most likely won't get the security update in any way, I'm wondering if I'll have to straight up tell him he can't use it anymore lol.

Not for any data intended to be secure, certainly. Presumably attackers could also intercept requests to app servers and the Google Play Store, so they could send pretty much anything to the device in place of valid content. But I'm sure the vast majority of people with vulnerable devices will never be hacked, so you could just play the odds.

Or does HTTPS pretty much negate banking info etc from getting out.

The vast majority of HTTPS servers are vulnerable to trivial SSL stripping (although savvy users would notice the lack of padlock icon in Chrome, etc.). Hopefully bank servers are better managed than most other HTTPS servers.

Patches for most devices are already on their way out.

Most supported devices/OSes, sure. The keyword being supported. Consumer devices rarely are.

Could you explain how someone could get, say, what you type into a Google search if you're using a compromised device? As far as I can tell, the most an attacker can see is your encrypted packet data which would be useless for them.

https://moxie.org/software/sslstrip/

Shoot, I've got homework to-do and I'm in classes all day w/o ethernet ports :/

Double shoot, will Apple update the airport extreme? Or is it time for a new router...

Noema

No they aren't. The paper just notes that there have been other attacks against HTTPS in the past so if a new one is found, it could be used in combination with this exploit

You are right, it should be clarified. I edited my post. He warns that you shouldn't feel you're safe just because you're using HTTPS.

From the guy who discovered the vulnerability:

Our attack is not limited to recovering login credentials (i.e. e-mail addresses and passwords). In general, any data or information that the victim transmits can be decrypted. Additionally, depending on the device being used and the network setup, it is also possible to decrypt data sent towards the victim (e.g. the content of a website). Although websites or apps may use HTTPS as an additional layer of protection, we warn that this extra protection can be bypassed in a worrying number of situations

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Oh boy. Hospitals are in trouble. So many laptops, iPads, phones that get used with patient data. They are constantly under attack as is. Sounds like someone just has to hang out at a hospital to acquire shit. I’m assuming updating everything is going to be a nightmare everywhere.

bachikarn

So help me understand. They cannot just crack into my device and steal info right?

This is about data that is being transmitted via WIFI? So passwords, CC numbers, etc? But what if you have auto login? Can they still get it that way? Or only if you are entering it?

I also heard someone people talk about Our bulbs. What is the concern there? I imagine the data sent to them is not private? Or does it request log in info too?

aravuus

Not for any data intended to be secure, certainly. Presumably attackers could also intercept requests to app servers and the Google Play Store, so they could send pretty much anything to the device in place of valid content. But I'm sure the vast majority of people with vulnerable devices will never be hacked, so you could just play the odds.

I see, thanks. Well, if the other patched devices in the house and the ones that are connected via ethernet (but not necessarily patched - I'm actively avoiding patching my TV lol) are fine even in the highly unlikely situation where someone would place themselves between the tablet and our router, I suppose it's fine. Pretty sure he only uses it to watch youtube or some shit anyway.

tzare

The hack works by spoofing a known router/AP. It doesn't matter if the real router is patched if the client is tricked into connecting into the spoofed AP.

Yes.

Yes.

Patched PC/smartphones are safe. A "KRACKed" device isn't actually connected to your real router, but a "fake" router in the area that's spoofing your real router, so your real network and patched devices aren't directly at risk.

The vast majority of HTTPS servers are vulnerable to trivial SSL stripping (although savvy users would notice the lack of padlock icon in Chrome, etc.). Hopefully bank servers are better managed than most other HTTPS servers.

Most supported devices/OSes, sure. The keyword being supported. Consumer devices rarely are.

https://moxie.org/software/sslstrip/

great ! Thanks for the answer. Feel a bit safer (well when most devices are patched at least)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would using TOR do anything here? I understand it wouldn't protect me in general, but the specific traffic going through the TOR browser?

ISee

I can spoof a MAC address. Every idiot who can read a 50 word tutorial can do it. It won't help at all, but relax you'll be fine.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS, IGNORE THE SENSATIONALIST THREAD TITLE. 99.999999% OF YOU WILL NOT BE AFFECTED

one of my neighbors "was" running a black market server farm in his basement. He also tried to steal electricity and did something wrong while doing so. In the end there was a big fire in his basement. The night after the fire, a couple of hours before the police came to investigate everything, he loaded a lot of server equipment into a van and drove away. He sometimes claimed to have a server farm running in his basement before, but nobody believed him, till that night. I absolutely trust this fucker to exploit this as much as possible, so no I'd like to be a bit in panic mode atm.

Noema

Is this saying 1 compromised device can view a whole network's data?

The attacker can get access to the network by decrypting all data the compromised device sends to the access point.

The attacks do not recover the password of the Wi-Fi network. That would probably require further exploits that hinge on the decrypted data sent by the device.

What is Apples response? I have an iPhone, IPad, MacBook for all of my stuff.

At home I have a comcast AC gateway, that will need a firmware patch? I guess I don’t understand. Is the router itself what needs to be patched or the devices themselves?

emag

Maybe you should lock the thread and create one without a hilariously bad clickbait title?

I'm fine with a mod changing the title of this thread to something less "clickbaity", e.g., "WiFi security KRACKed, update your devices".

That said, although the probability that you will specifically be targeted is low, the vulnerability is still a real cause for concern. >99% of people won't have their identity stolen as a result of the Equifax data breach, either.

Is this saying 1 compromised device can view a whole network's data?

Not directly. Your vulnerable device connects to a spoofed router, which can read/modify all transmissions between it and the internet. The existing real network isn't directly affected. Of course, if you send passwords or install software on that vulnerable device, worse things can happen.

What is Apples response? I have an iPhone, IPad, MacBook for all of my stuff.

At home I have a comcast AC gateway, that will need a firmware patch? I guess I don't understand. Is the router itself what needs to be patched or the devices themselves?

AFAIK, Apple has not yet publicly commented on this.

Ideally, both routers/APs and devices that connect to them should be patched. It's [much] more important that the devices are patched than the routers.

PizzaFace

Banned
Wow the bold all-caps text really convinces people of your deep credibility when it comes to web security issues.

I mean, he's not wrong about the current thread title being hilariously dramatic. "All your WIFI devices are broken" would be a very different scenario to the one that is playing out here.

It's a big deal, and the vulnerabilities are real, but that thread title...c'mon

I'm fine with a mod changing the title of this thread to something less "clickbaity", e.g., "WiFi security KRACKed, update your devices".

That said, although the probability that you will specifically be targeted is low, the vulnerability is still a real cause for concern. >99% of people won't have their identity stolen as a result of the Equifax data breach, either.

Yeah, Im a bit salty, sorry!. I woke up to 273 eMails this morning from clients and partners freaking out because the first they saw this morning was news saying "the internet is broken and you're information has been stolen".

ViciousDS

Banned
For the time being, keep in mind that:

• The attacker has to be in range of the victim (ie, he has to be able to receive wireless signals from your router)

He has to know what he's doing and have malicious intent.

There has to be at least one Linux / Android device connected to the wireless network in question to compromise it. It's not that windows / Mac OS / ios aren't vulnerable ; it's that currently the exploit is most damaging in Linux based devices but everything that can connect to a WiFi is vulnerable.

HTTPS websites can also vulnerabl in combination with this exploit

Both routers and clients can be patched to disarm the vulnerability. Unfortunately most of the vulnerable devices will never be patched.

the one fucking person on my network using an android device is my step dad........damn it

Can patching the router alone and at least leave all other devices and updated units safe if someone else connects with an un-updated device?

Top Bottom