• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternatives to alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten into the bad habit of winding down with a mixed drink while gaming more often than I like. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but it's a habit and a reward system that I've created that I'd like to break. Also, it's expensive and not what I want to subject my body to anymore. At least not with the same frequency.

However, I do enjoy the for lack of a better word "ritual" of drinking something while I wind down. I'm not one for CBD or green. It's just not for me. But I do wonder if there are any good alternatives that can be calming and still enjoyable to sip to help me wind down.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've gotten into the bad habit of winding down with a mixed drink while gaming more often than I like. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but it's a habit and a reward system that I've created that I'd like to break. Also, it's expensive and not what I want to subject my body to anymore. At least not with the same frequency.

However, I do enjoy the for lack of a better word "ritual" of drinking something while I wind down. I'm not one for CBD or green. It's just not for me. But I do wonder if there are any good alternatives that can be calming and still enjoyable to sip to help me wind down.
Kratom.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've heard that's really addictive
Every drug pretty much is and that sounds like what you want. Even caffeine is a drug.

Kratom is at least available in many states legally and you can buy them at smoke shops. I prefer the capsules but some people like the powder to put into hot tea or something.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If it helps green tea has improved my sleep.

when marnie was there japan GIF

I never used supplements, I like just water or a good non alcoholic beer.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Since weed is not an option I would suggest just water, coffee or tea.

While not addicted you do seem to recognize having somewhat of a crutch and I applaud you for that.

I was a professional drunk for almost 20 years and did most of my gaming while shitfaced.
It took me a couple of years once sober to dissociate the two.

You're definitely not at that degenerate level but you should enjoy your games for what they are without the need for a "ritual".

Yeah yeah I know what a fucking boring suggestion; water, coffee or tea 😄

Good luck!

dsp

No weed, no mushrooms. I honestly don't know what to tell ya, bud, at least from a stimulant perspective. Those two are definitely what I'd call safe alternatives (mushrooms could be a problem if you try to heroic dose, lol) but after taking another look at your topic post, if all you're looking for is ritual then you could try some meditative breathing exercises. There probably isn't anything more calming than that beyond some sort of sedative drug. Maybe sneak in a 10 minute session before you sit down for a game or whatever. Try a 4-7-8 breathing session for 10 minutes.

Since weed is not an option I would suggest just water, coffee or tea.

While not addicted you do seem to recognize having somewhat of a crutch and I applaud you for that.

I was a professional drunk for almost 20 years and did most of my gaming while shitfaced.
It took me a couple of years once sober to dissociate the two.

You're definitely not at that degenerate level but you should enjoy your games for what they are without the need for a "ritual".

Yeah yeah I know what a fucking boring suggestion; water, coffee or tea 😄

Good luck!
I appreciate the compliment! I've been doing this for a while now, but it's really hitting me how unproductive it is. I eat worse and spend a lot of the next day not doing anything.

It's true about the ritual. But me as a person I still like something that will calm me at least a little. Something along those lines. I'm definitely gonna try tea again but I figured I'd see something good for a light buzz.

No weed, no mushrooms. I honestly don't know what to tell ya, bud, at least from a stimulant perspective. Those two are definitely what I'd call safe alternatives (mushrooms could be a problem if you try to heroic dose, lol) but after taking another look at your topic post, if all you're looking for is ritual then you could try some meditative breathing exercises. There probably isn't anything more calming than that beyond some sort of sedative drug. Maybe sneak in a 10 minute session before you sit down for a game or whatever. Try a 4-7-8 breathing session for 10 minutes.
Well, it is a ritual aspect but I do like something for calming. I tend to have an overactive brain at night and alcohol chills me out, but I really don't think it's great for me. But I KNOW weed and shrooms aren't for me.

Again, my best answer is probably tea, but just wanted to see some other alternatives if they're out there.

dsp

Well, it is a ritual aspect but I do like something for calming. I tend to have an overactive brain at night and alcohol chills me out, but I really don't think it's great for me. But I KNOW weed and shrooms aren't for me.

Again, my best answer is probably tea, but just wanted to see some other alternatives if they're out there.

I think you should definitely give the meditative breathing sessions a try. Overtime you will just begin to sink into the ritual of it and your mind will slowly calm, I promise. At least give it a go before bed if that is an issue (it can be for me). Short warm/hot shower followed by 10 minutes of meditative breathing. You'll sleep better. You've got nothing to lose by trying this, anyway.

I think you should definitely give the meditative breathing sessions a try. Overtime you will just begin to sink into the ritual of it and your mind will slowly calm, I promise. At least give it a go before bed if that is an issue (it can be for me). Short warm/hot shower followed by 10 minutes of meditative breathing. You'll sleep better. You've got nothing to lose by trying this, anyway.
Very true! I like the idea

Reactions: dsp
A lot of people dont like the length involved with taking mushrooms. However i say try lemontekking. Soaking ground dried shrooms in pure lemon juice for a halfhour before taking it as a shot. Add honey if you have to. Come up is much faster, higher peak, and cuts probably 3 hours off total trip time.

Also not all shrooms are alike. Personally i much prefer Natalensis over a cube

Was gonna suggest low dosages of shrooms as well but I guess that’s a no-go.

I love shrooms, I’ve never had a bad experience on them, even at relatively high doses. I think I’m going to try a hand at growing my own, it looks super easy to do.

If it helps green tea has improved my sleep.

when marnie was there japan GIF

I never used supplements, I like just water or a good non alcoholic beer.

Curious about this because I've started taking Magnesium pills which helps to calm me down and it helps with sleep too and muscle recovery. Is this just regular old green tea? What's the dosage here? Do you like put 5 teabags in a cup or what?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

This is 100% me. I’ve tried switching to green, but it just makes me super hungry, and I end up overeating. I can go days without alcohol without any repercussions, but I find that when I’m at home, I often have alcohol before bed to wind down and relax. But I objectively consume unhealthy amounts of it due to my tolerance.

My point is, if you ever find your solution, please DM me or tag me here and let me know. I’m getting close to middle age, and I need a change if I don’t want to die in my 60s/70s.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Curious about this because I've started taking Magnesium pills which helps to calm me down and it helps with sleep too and muscle recovery. Is this just regular old green tea? What's the dosage here? Do you like put 5 teabags in a cup or what?

Lipton green teabag they offer a caffeine version but a good non caffeinated green tea before bed can be legendary.

Here’s what you do: you get some sparkling water, and several good organic juices. Before you game, prepare your own homemade sparkling juice by mixing and matching the juices with the sparkling water.

A big part of the addiction is the ritual.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist

This is 100% me. I’ve tried switching to green, but it just makes me super hungry, and I end up overeating. I can go days without alcohol without any repercussions, but I find that when I’m at home, I often have alcohol before bed to wind down and relax. But I objectively consume unhealthy amounts of it due to my tolerance.

My point is, if you ever find your solution, please DM me or tag me here and let me know. I’m getting close to middle age, and I need a change if I don’t want to die in my 60s/70s.
We can make it, Bros.

As for now, I'm watching Limitless starring Bradley Cooper so I can learn to leave my dependence on drugs.

Shocked Bradley Cooper GIF

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist

What is the root issue of your drinking habits, though? I'm curious.

Because outside of a few salient posts in this thread, most suggestions here are bullshit.

We need more info. 🍷

Was gonna suggest low dosages of shrooms as well but I guess that’s a no-go.

I love shrooms, I’ve never had a bad experience on them, even at relatively high doses. I think I’m going to try a hand at growing my own, it looks super easy to do.
As a lover myself i say go for it!! The difficulty depends on the variety you choose, your sterile hygiene, your local climate, plus how you want to approach things. If you want to go crazy and start from agar its more challenging then youd think but also incredibly rewarding.

If you read some sites they will make it sound like you have to to avoid bad spawn. These days though most genetic providers test the crap out of their spores and cultures so they tend to be highly reliable. Someone i know who definitely isnt me has never had contam from a syringe.

GT and B+ are easy starter cubes z-strain if you can find it is also a good one. A super fun, highly aggressive species is Natal Super strain, psilocybe natalensis. They are generally smaller but more potent. They are far newer on the scene, they tend to like very similar technique to cubes except they want lots of fae.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Coffee, i stop drinking 12 years ago, and stranded in various local arabica coffee. I live in place which surrounded by hill and mountain. And thus coffee variant are abundant here. Each hundred metres and places, have their own taste here. I like to brewing my own coffee since 10 years ago. And now addicted to it. : ))

TLDR, i left alcohol to coffee now. Better life for me.

Last edited:

Tams

Water, flavoured-water (ideally no fruit, just herbs instead), or tea.

Nothing wrong with a drink, but making alcohol a habit is not good.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Italian Soda or fruit juice

If you’re doing mix drink regularly you probably don’t feel the affect of alcohol anymore unless you’re kicking back a lot. Move mix drinks to biweekend reward.

Go_Ly_Dow

Tea: there are hundreds of different green teas from Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan and across Asia. Matcha is also great but just a bit pricey for the good ceremonial grade stuff.

Italian soda: some italian soda can be quite low in sugar and also fairly natural. I enjoy san pellegrino (pomegramit and lime, blood orange etc..) which is about 12grams of sugar in a can. Still a lot but much less than cola and other stuff.

Coffee: so many different flavours and methods

Chocolate: in the evening I usually have 2-4 squares of 50-75% cocao chocolate. Plain, orange, mint or with nuts.

If you start to work out a lot too it can assist greatly in overcoming addictive or unhealthy patterns and habits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom