• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternatives to alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mephisto40

Unfortunately, no other drink is going to get you tipsy in the same way

The best way to change this, is just to go cold turkey on alcohol, and find something else to drink, after 3-4 weeks you won't feel the need to have it any more, you just need to get through those few weeks and reprogram your brain not to need it

Cyberpunkd

I've gotten into the bad habit of winding down with a mixed drink while gaming more often than I like. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but it's a habit and a reward system that I've created that I'd like to break. Also, it's expensive and not what I want to subject my body to anymore. At least not with the same frequency.

However, I do enjoy the for lack of a better word "ritual" of drinking something while I wind down. I'm not one for CBD or green. It's just not for me. But I do wonder if there are any good alternatives that can be calming and still enjoyable to sip to help me wind down.
Water / sparkling water. Cold sparkling water from the fridge.

James Franco GIF

Gp1

Are we talking here about beer or something distilled like whisky, cocktails etc.?

I'm not an expert but i would try to replace your alcohol little by little with something with the "same drinkability" (i really hate the term and its usage). Try some "zero alcohol" to begin with like Heineken Zero or non alcoholic cocktails (if this is your thing). Or least try to reduce the alcohol doses in your drinks.

After that try something like a zero calories beverage, but not one's with caffeine, taurine etc (so no coffee and some teas) since it's your "wind down" ritual.

Last edited:

Trilobit

If coffee doesn't make you all jittery and axious then invest in a nice espresso machine:
Best-Espresso-Machines-28022019.jpg

It can become a nice ritual to make a great cup of coffee. That's what I would do if I had the genes of some other lucky people.

Otherwise explore foregin or domestic sodas with rich flavour.

If you are a tea lover, why not splurge in Japanese teaware and go all in dweeb on Japanese tea. Could be fun to visit the country and try out different kinds.
13I8640Whmp8mz6TKlUu-QAjHBWn9w9mA.jpg

Sakura

Just drink pop or water or literally anything else. I don't really think you need something to "wind down", it's more that you've just gotten into the habit.
Go for a while without drinking and you'll get used to it just as fast as you got used to the drinking.

Many good tips here and I appreciate all of the advice. After pondering on it, I think I realized that I don't think I have as much of a problem with alcohol on its own, but definitely do when I play games in the evenings. I do it by myself to chill, but in these situations I make too many drinks with too much liquor as the night progresses. I'm not always chomping at the big for a drink, luckily.

So, I'm gonna cut that habit. I'm gonna try the hot tea thing and also liked the idea of making a meal. I like cooking and that would be a ritual within itself.

I'll give meth a try tho.

Thanks everyone for your support and tips!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
'll give meth a try tho
Oh please no. Unless you're kidding. I've never done it but I know people who have and it's really fucked up stuff. Even they admit in their later years they hate it.

Maybe Adderall though? I know people who say they even like it better than meth and if you feel like you have ADHD maybe you can get a prescription. Heard it's pretty good for gaming too. There was a whole thread about it a while back.

I would still recommend looking into kratom. In fact, with the powder you can make a tea out of it.

Last edited:
Oh please no. Unless you're kidding. I've never done it but I know people who have and it's really fucked up stuff. Even they admit in their later years they hate it.

Maybe Adderall though? I know people who say they even like it better than meth and if you feel like you have ADHD maybe you can get a prescription. Heard it's pretty good for gaming too. There was a whole thread about it a while back.

I would still recommend looking into kratom. In fact, with the powder you can make a tea out of it.
Definitely kidding 😂

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If coffee doesn't make you all jittery and axious then invest in a nice espresso machine:
Best-Espresso-Machines-28022019.jpg

It can become a nice ritual to make a great cup of coffee. That's what I would do if I had the genes of some other lucky people.

Otherwise explore foregin or domestic sodas with rich flavour.

If you are a tea lover, why not splurge in Japanese teaware and go all in dweeb on Japanese tea. Could be fun to visit the country and try out different kinds.
13I8640Whmp8mz6TKlUu-QAjHBWn9w9mA.jpg
A nice cuppa is great. I love the smell of tea leaves.

Zelduh

I'd suggest phenibut but it's gotten increasingly difficult to get ahold of these days and is banned in a lot of places now. But probably a bad idea if you have self-control issues since people going overboard with it is the reason it's being cracked down on

SoloCamo

Curious about this because I've started taking Magnesium pills which helps to calm me down and it helps with sleep too and muscle recovery. Is this just regular old green tea? What's the dosage here? Do you like put 5 teabags in a cup or what?

Green Tea contain L-Theanine. Long story short it's an amino acid that strongly promotes a sense of calm and relaxation, it also helps lower blood pressure. Pertaining to this thread it actually also helps reduce the side effects of inducing alcohol and it may be great for the OP to take before consuming alcohol as he's going to need to drink quite a bit more to feel the alcohol. Being that they know the drinking isn't good, making the effects harder to get by needing to ingest more may actually reduce his current ritual of relying on it. You can get it in capsule form too which I've taken off and on for years, especially with caffeine as it balances the jitter, heart racing, etc. that caffeine typically causes.

Last edited:
Green Tea contain L-Theanine. Long story short it's an amino acid that strongly promotes a sense of calm and relaxation, it also helps lower blood pressure. Pertaining to this thread it actually also helps reduce the side effects of inducing alcohol and it may be great for the OP to take before consuming alcohol as he's going to need to drink quite a bit more to feel the alcohol. Being that they know the drinking isn't good, making the effects harder to get by needing to ingest more may actually reduce his current ritual of relying on it. You can get it in capsule form too which I've taken off and on for years, especially with caffeine as it balances the jitter, heart racing, etc. that caffeine typically causes.

Wow, thanks for the reply. I've just added some to my cart now. Appreciate it very much :)

That's awesome!

SoloCamo

That's awesome!

Indeed it is. I also have far too often associated my "gaming time" with the ritual of having a few drinks, the earlier you can break it the better for not only your physical health but your mental. Good luck.

Wow, thanks for the reply. I've just added some to my cart now. Appreciate it very much

Just buy from a reputable brand. I've personally been using these for years and they've been great.

Last edited:

DrFigs

i'd like to try mushrooms. i think its legal enough where i live. but i'm worried about doing something stupid while high. :pie_thinking:

Nydius

I was a professional drunk for almost 20 years and did most of my gaming while shitfaced.
It took me a couple of years once sober to dissociate the two.

You're definitely not at that degenerate level but you should enjoy your games for what they are without the need for a "ritual".

I was this way with cigarettes and gaming. I would smoke more when gaming and I was particularly bad back when I was playing World of Warcraft and progression raiding. Boss wipe? Cigarette. Trash mobs? Cigarette. Waiting around while we figured out everyone’s loot? Cigarette.

When I finally decided to quit, the nicotine withdrawal was nothing compared to having to break the habits I made around smoking. That was infinitely harder and took years.

12 years nicotine free now and I wonder why I ever started in the first place.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
i'd like to try mushrooms. i think its legal enough where i live. but i'm worried about doing something stupid while high. :pie_thinking:
For a first time, I'd recommend doing it in a safe space (your house) with people you know well (friends), even better if any of them have done it before.

If you feel way too high, you can always bail out by drinking and eating. Or so I've heard, never was able to confirm that myself.

Quasicat

It’s a slippery slope. I moved on to craft soda as part of my gaming time each night, then my doctor broke the news that I’m really close to being a diabetic…so now I’m drinking water.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'd suggest phenibut but it's gotten increasingly difficult to get ahold of these days and is banned in a lot of places now. But probably a bad idea if you have self-control issues since people going overboard with it is the reason it's being cracked down on
I went and looked this up and it sounds really interesting. I wonder if I can get that at some local smoke shops?

Fbh

Honestly it just depends on what you like.
I was going through something similar a few years ago but realized the habit of drinking something while gaming could also be fullfilled with something non alocholic.
During the summer I mostly like lemonade, or some home made juice on the weekend. During the winter I mostly stick to tea.

That said I still get a beer while gaming every now and then (or some tea with brandy during the winter lol). But it's only once or twice a week instead of everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom