• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only one who is enjoying FC more then Doom 3?

I know I'm a bit late with discovering Far Cry, but wow! This is one kick ass game. I thought it would be "ok", but I'm enjoying it more then Doom 3 or most other games out there. Its friggin' beautiful....I mean you have to see this game in action to do it justice. Still, here are some pics I took over the past couple days.

FCglide.JPG

FarCry0005.jpg

FC%20little%20buddy.jpg

fc1.JPG

FarCry0008.jpg

Maybe its just because its more open ended and you have allot of variety compared to D3. Or maybe its the lush tropical setting...but FC gets the offical Hardbody (TM) seal of approval. Just a rocking game, that even with its flaws has me playing allot lately.

Pimpbaa

No, you are no the only one. I said in another thread how I found Far Cry to be the better game. It's really cool to see an awesome game like this come from an unknown developer. It was definitely a pleasant surprise for me.

bogg

Well, FarCry did impress me more in the graphics department, the outdoors are pretty amazing, and most of the outdoors missions are great, but the indoors missions are pretty crapy IMO.

I heard the game got weak when the trigens were introduced, but I really like 'em. The whole thing game has this feeling of B action movie cheese, its cool! Plus, I was just thinking "This is cool, but I need a shotgun". Booyah! Automatic shotgun becomes available in one of the indoor missions...which I enjoyed. This game is cool, much better then I thought it would.

SaitoH

I played up to the Regulator level then just kinda stopped a few months back. I can't really say exactly why other than I just didn't care to continue. Since I finished Doom 3, I've gone back to Far Cry and am enjoying. Have to wait till I finish Far Cry first to give a final opinion, but I definitely find Doom 3 to be a more compelling game.

meh both games are good but not GOTY stuff. I had fun with both

Far Cry > Doom 3

"Am I the only one who wants to to burn my 9800 Pro?"

I wanna burn mine too! I think this card is overhyped or maybe something is horribly wrong with my computer! I can't play BF vietnam properly and UT2004 had tons of slowdown on my Radeon 9800 Pro. Very dissapointed, should have waited for the new Nvidia card.

border

FarCry is probably the best PC game of the year so far. Maybe it's in a dead heat with Thief Deadly Shadows ;)

Doom 3's repetitive environments and dumb-as-rocks enemies can't really hang with either of 'em.

SKluck

Banned
Don't blame your 9800, BFV has a completely shit engine. I've been satisfied with the performance of mine. Doom 3, Farcry, BFV, all run at highest settings at 1024x768 at at least 30 fps. That is all I need.

SKluck said:
Don't blame your 9800, BFV has a completely shit engine. I've been satisfied with the performance of mine. Doom 3, Farcry, BFV, all run at highest settings at 1024x768 at at least 30 fps. That is all I need.

Very inconsistent performance! My fps is all over the place.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
9800 Pro is great, but the games I was playing when I had a Geforce 4 were much better.

We need better games, not a better graphics card!

My 9800 Pro is the worst card I've ever owned. I bought it last year specifically to get ready for Half-life 2 (and maybe a lil' Doom3) and not only was the intended software delayed, but the hardware itself is mondo flakey. It's built like shit, it runs too hot, it tries to break itself.

It has gone through intermittent periods of crashing on every 3D app, only to be satiated briefly with driver re-adjustments. It's heat, I know it's heat, but I've done all I really care to prevent my whole system from melting as it seems to want to. I put all of the major components in new out of the box, I should not have to seek alternant cooling solutions.

To be fair, I want to burn everything in my system excepting my hard drive and Audigy2. I hate it, it always lets me down. There's always been a small gremlin inside since I built it last year, but the 9800 Pro has literally been poison. The piss of it is that I originally bought an ATI 9800, but I traded it in quickly when a Saphire 9800 Pro had a price drop on New Egg. I prolly would have been fine with the base card.

I'd be lying if I said we didn't have some good times together. Playing Planetside with Dark10x was a blast with no hd access. Silent Storm was playable until it started to suck. Hitman Contracts was addicting. And NFSU was phenominally entertaining.

But the honeymoon is over and my rig has run up quite the tab of bullshit. Early next year i will once again be in a buying position, and it'll be time to pay the piper.

Look for my "I'm Burning My Goddamn 9800 Pro in the Street" thread next Feb or March.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
border said:
FarCry is probably the best PC game of the year so far. Maybe it's in a dead heat with Thief Deadly Shadows ;)

Doom 3's repetitive environments and dumb-as-rocks enemies can't really hang with either of 'em.
THIEF: DEADLY SHADOWS!

Sorry I love the series and had a lot of fun with the game.

I completely agree with the Far Cry being better than Doom 3. I really enjoyed Doom 3 though and had a blast with the game but I completely respect what Far Cry has done and the cool features they implemented within the stagnant FPS genre (they didn't change much but did make a few advances). Doom 3 is pretty much the same old with an amazing coat of paint while Far Cry manages to do the same (albeit a different coat of paint if you will) but also bring in some fresh features and really further the concept of an "outdoor" FPS.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
My 9800 Pro is the worst card I've ever owned. I bought it last year specifically to get ready for Half-life 2 (and maybe a lil' Doom3) and not only was the intended software delayed, but the hardware itself is mondo flakey. It's built like shit, it runs too hot, it tries to break itself.

It has gone through intermittent periods of crashing on every 3D app, only to be satiated briefly with driver re-adjustments. It's heat, I know it's heat, but I've done all I really care to prevent my whole system from melting as it seems to want to. I put all of the major components in new out of the box, I should not have to seek alternant cooling solutions.

To be fair, I want to burn everything in my system excepting my hard drive and Audigy2. I hate it, it always lets me down. There's always been a small gremlin inside since I built it last year, but the 9800 Pro has literally been poison. The piss of it is that I originally bought an ATI 9800, but I traded it in quickly when a Saphire 9800 Pro had a price drop on New Egg. I prolly would have been fine with the base card.

I'd be lying if I said we didn't have some good times together. Playing Planetside with Dark10x was a blast with no hd access. Silent Storm was playable until it started to suck. Hitman Contracts was addicting. And NFSU was phenominally entertaining.

But the honeymoon is over and my rig has run up quite the tab of bullshit. Early next year i will once again be in a buying position, and it'll be time to pay the piper.

Look for my "I'm Burning My Goddamn 9800 Pro in the Street" thread next Feb or March.

IAWTP

Pimpbaa

ArcadeStickMonk said:

How good is your computer case? I went from your standard beige case with no ventilation fans to a fancy one with 3 fans. My cpu and mb temps went down by 10 degrees, and I'm sure my 9800 pro is much cooler as well. The standard heatsink and fan on the 9800 pro ain't that great, ATI only started putting decent cooling on the 9800XT and up.

My case should be a lot better for what I paid for it. It had four fans, but one went out. It is not a hot case, but it's just not good enough for my 9800 Pro. What I do love about it is that it is aluminum and my PC is light as all hell.

I'm sure I could do several things to chill the whole situation, but I flat refuse to. I've collected enough bile to value the acrid odor of silicon and plastic fuming on pavement over turning an investment around.

The last video card to fuck with me ended up as two medallions, and it was later found innocent. This poor bastard hasn't a prayer.

Pimpbaa

ArcadeStickMonk said:
My case should be a lot better for what I paid for it. It had four fans, but one went out. It is not a hot case, but it's just not good enough for my 9800 Pro. What I do love about it is that it is aluminum and my PC is light as all hell.

I'm sure I could do several things to chill the whole situation, but I flat refuse to. I've collected enough bile to value the acrid odor of silicon and plastic fuming on pavement over turning an investment around.

The last video card to fuck with me ended up as two medallions, and it was later found innocent. This poor bastard hasn't a prayer.

Sounds like a bad card. That definitely ain't normal behaviour if the case isn't hot. You should have gotten a replacement (perhaps not too late?).

Pimpbaa said:
Sounds like a bad card. That definitely ain't normal behaviour if the case isn't hot. You should have gotten a replacement (perhaps not too late?).

Far too late. Far, far too goddamn late... even if there was a replacement option

Come to the barbeque

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, that's one hell of a rant...and you didn't even start on about how much Far Cry sucks. :p

dark10x said:
Damn, that's one hell of a rant...and you didn't even start on about how much Far Cry sucks. :p

Dude, Far Cry sucks, but at least it let me play to the start of the final level before my card started puking triangles.

And besides, you should have my best rants archived in your inbox, this is passing commentary.

Im gonna play Far Cry after Doom 3 but from what I year you should do it the other way around so Far cry doesn't seem as underwhelming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Dude, Far Cry sucks, but at least it let me play to the start of the final level before my card started puking triangles.

And besides, you should have my best rants archived in your inbox, this is passing commentary.

Have you ever owned a trouble free PC? Your older Athlon system had tons of problems too...

I still say that you are simply having cooling issues and they can be fixed easily. Of course, no cooling system will protect it from being the guest of honor at the upcoming barbeque...

dark10x said:
Have you ever owned a trouble free PC?

Such things are myths. Realistically I may have incurred necessary karma for my misfortunes when I flogged an innocent Celeron 400 at higher clock speeds for three straight years.

dark10x said:
I still say that you are simply having cooling issues and they can be fixed easily.

It's defective and doesn't deserve it. I refuse to pay more money to prolong it's purposeless, choking life.

Next time will be different.

firex

I liked Far Cry until I got to some bullshit boss that's like impossible for me to kill.

It's the helicopter fight with Crow. I've shot him with 4+ rockets and not killed him.

Mrbob

ArcadeStickMonk said:

You should pick up an Arctic Cooler and install it on your 9800PRO. Sucks you are having so many heat problems. I suppose it does run hot on stock speeds. Mine stays cool while even overclocked and I have zero problems. But then I did buy my 9800PRO second hand with the Arctic Cooler already installed.

Pimpbaa

firex said:
I liked Far Cry until I got to some bullshit boss that's like impossible for me to kill.

It's the helicopter fight with Crow. I've shot him with 4+ rockets and not killed him.

That almost killed the game for me my first time through. But found easier ways to do that part in my later play throughs.
It really makes no fucking sense tho, why was that helicopter more tough than any other? it looked exactly the same.

Brannon

Sorta off topic, but I just acquired a Radeon 9600 SE 128MB. Is that a good card compared to my geForce 3(4?) MX400 64MB?

Top Bottom