• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

I guess most Dutch Kindle users have already heard. Amazon.nl has opened its doors. Finally. Currently it only sells books and ebooks. Both Dutch and International.

The Paperwhite can be bought via Amazon.de for 100 euros.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
With Black Friday approaching, I m definetly considering buy a Kindle. I just have a question regarding sleep. Usually I read before bed but I am hesitant to buy a kindle because I don't know if the bluelight it emits will affect my sleep negatively (I am sensitive to cellphone and computer screens before going to sleep). Has anyone experienced any reduced quality in sleep from reading before bed or am I in the clear?

Thanks.

With Black Friday approaching, I m definetly considering buy a Kindle. I just have a question regarding sleep. Usually I read before bed but I am hesitant to buy a kindle because I don't know if the bluelight it emits will affect my sleep negatively (I am sensitive to cellphone and computer screens before going to sleep). Has anyone experienced any reduced quality in sleep from reading before bed or am I in the clear?

Thanks.

You can set it extremely low. It will look more like the screen is faintly glowing, rather than blasting light into your eyes. Do you use book lights or a lamp to read a book now? I'd compare it to the feel of that.

Lumiere

Neo Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137718181&postcount=6281

Has anyone had their kindle ship earlier than the estimate? I ordered when they said they would have more in stock on Dec 1, and figured "Ha, I bet this is just a guess and it'll ship next week or something." But it's looking like I'm really gonna have to wait till Dec 1 for it to ship :(
Mine shipped a tiny bit earlier - as in, estimate was sometimes next week but it actually arrived a couple days ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137718181&postcount=6281

Has anyone had their kindle ship earlier than the estimate? I ordered when they said they would have more in stock on Dec 1, and figured "Ha, I bet this is just a guess and it'll ship next week or something." But it's looking like I'm really gonna have to wait till Dec 1 for it to ship :(

that happened to me (in japan, granted) — estimate was end of november and it showed up yesterday.

upgrading from a first-gen paperwhite and pretty happy about the decision so far! love the flush screen and page-turn squeezy thing. the lighting is so much more even, too.

B33

Banned
What's the consensus on power adaptors for the Kindle Voyage?

Amazon has officially sanctioned 5W and 9W chargers. Are there any alternatives?

Benedict

A seller on Ebay is selling japanese version of Voyage.
Is there any difference between this and the US version?

edit: hoping for the best. Found a shop where they had the Voyage for €199.
Ordered it for €198 after a discount code and added Insured Economy Express Shipping, instead of free shipping.

Edit: Any idea of good covers that are available on ebay?

Rootbeer

Banned
What's the consensus on power adaptors for the Kindle Voyage?

Amazon has officially sanctioned 5W and 9W chargers. Are there any alternatives?

as an owner of several older kindles. i just use the older adapters. what other alternatives would interest you? just take any micro usb cord and any power outlet adapter and it should work. it's the kind of device that i just leave and let charge overnight so rather it takes 3 hours or 7 hours to charge makes no difference to me.

I bought the black one that the kindle voyage offers to bundle with itself, but i kind of prefer the one that came with my paperwhite because it is more power strip friendly. the black one plugs in from the side instead of the top which is inconvenient for some power strips

Mine shipped a tiny bit earlier - as in, estimate was sometimes next week but it actually arrived a couple days ago.

that happened to me (in japan, granted) — estimate was end of november and it showed up yesterday.

upgrading from a first-gen paperwhite and pretty happy about the decision so far! love the flush screen and page-turn squeezy thing. the lighting is so much more even, too.

Woohoo! Ordered on Nov 1, finally shipped today! I'm not gonna see the same leap as you since I already have the first Papewhite, but I'm still super excited about it!

LoveCake

I am thinking about getting the Kindle 7" Fire HDX Tablet as it's down to £99.

Can it just be used like a normal tablet, i have read that some people have issues with it & cannot get to use Gmail or Youtube for example, i just want it to use for quick stuff like reading emails, browsing the internet, youtube & for my dad to read the newspaper via the browser, i don't know anyone with a Kindle Fire HDX Tablet so was wondering if anyone can advise.

I have seen videos about people side-loading apps onto the Kindle Fire HDX Tablet, i am quite tech savvy, but wanted to see what people who had/have one thought, i am not interested in reading books on it or watching the amazon movies.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Yeah I just purchased the Paperwhite with amazon unlimited. I am so ecstatic that I ordered it for tomorrow. I really want to start reading already :)

Alright so now that Amazon's applying their Black Friday discounts on Kindle, you can do the above promotion I linked for $73-ish instead.

I know they stack because I just did it. Hard to resist a backup kindle and 6 months of Unlimited for that price.

Benedict

Ok, so My Kindle Voyage order couldn't be delivered before Christmas from where I ordered itand there is no sale on Kindles on Amazons international page...
Any good tips on where I can buy a Kindle Voyage or Paperwhite for delivery to Sweden, cheap?

Ok, so My Kindle Voyage order couldn't be delivered before Christmas from where I ordered itand there is no sale on Kindles on Amazons international page...
Any good tips on where I can buy a Kindle Voyage or Paperwhite for delivery to Sweden, cheap?

Not sure what electronics stores are in Sweden, but I know the Best Buy near my house hasn't had any problem keeping Kindles in stock. I don't know if that's an anomoly or not, but try calling your local electronics stores and seeing if they have any in stock.

Benedict

Not sure what electronics stores are in Sweden, but I know the Best Buy near my house hasn't had any problem keeping Kindles in stock. I don't know if that's an anomoly or not, but try calling your local electronics stores and seeing if they have any in stock.

The big problem is that Kindle is not sold in Sweden.
Only on the international kindle amazon page that have no sales.
Or through ebay and similar channels.

A Kindle Voyage through ebay costs about $330 incl customs, taxes and shipping...

Hiya, lovely GAF brethren and sistren!

I'm thinking about asking for an ereader for Christmas - but not only have I never owned one, I've never followed all of the different products that have cropped up since this type of device boomed in popularity. It seems that the Nook and the Kindle are the two most popular ones, yeah? I'm guessing even between those two brands, there are a ton of different models -- probably more now on the Kindle side since the OP was created back in 2011.

Anyway, is there a general consensus as to what the "best" one is? I don't want it to be more than $150, but I'm sure I missed all the good Black Friday period sales. I'm pretty lost when it comes to this stuff though, so I figured asking for recommendations from my trusted forum would be a better idea than just choosing one at random.

Hiya, lovely GAF brethren and sistren!

I'm thinking about asking for an ereader for Christmas - but not only have I never owned one, I've never followed all of the different products that have cropped up since this type of device boomed in popularity. It seems that the Nook and the Kindle are the two most popular ones, yeah? I'm guessing even between those two brands, there are a ton of different models -- probably more now on the Kindle side since the OP was created back in 2011.

Anyway, is there a general consensus as to what the "best" one is? I don't want it to be more than $150, but I'm sure I missed all the good Black Friday period sales. I'm pretty lost when it comes to this stuff though, so I figured asking for recommendations from my trusted forum would be a better idea than just choosing one at random.

Nook is kind of falling out of popularity; Barnes will probably sell the company within the next year. That being said, if you'll be sticking to third party ebook sellers anyway, the current Nook Glowlight is cheaper.

Most of the debates are between Kindle and Kobo nowadays. If you're in the $150 range, then it's a fight between the Kindle Paperwhite (2013 model) versus the Kobo Aura. There's no clear cut winner in my eyes. You can look at the hardware specs for each device to see what's important to you.

Also note each book marketplaces. I really like Amazon's for a variety of reasons (good selection, good prices, good cloud features, lots of indies, Kindle Unlimited). Other people may disagree. You can break the DRM on any ebook right now AFAIK and ebook format switching is trivial.

EDIT: A Kobo Aura sale.

hythloday

Nook is kind of falling out of popularity; Barnes will probably sell the company within the next year. That being said, if you'll be sticking to third party ebook sellers anyway, the current Nook Glowlight is cheaper.

Most of the debates are between Kindle and Kobo nowadays. If you're in the $150 range, then it's a fight between the Kindle Paperwhite (2013 model) versus the Kobo Aura. There's no clear cut winner in my eyes. You can look at the hardware specs for each device to see what's important to you.

Also note each book marketplaces. I really like Amazon's for a variety of reasons (good selection, good prices, good cloud features, lots of indies, Kindle Unlimited). Other people may disagree. You can break the DRM on any ebook right now AFAIK and ebook format switching is trivial.

As someone who's owned every Nook version except the tablets, I say don't get a Nook. The Glowlight is okay, but it's just not the same quality as the Kindle in my opinion. I switched to a Kindle Paperwhite this year.

I don't have any experience with a Kobo, though.

Interesting -- poking around the Aura site, it looks like none of the Aura screenshots are in color? Color is a big deal, since one of the main things I'll be using this for is the Marvel comics subscription service. In fact, Marvel digital has an Android app and an iPad/iPhone app -- those would still theoretically be compatible with a Kindle, yeah? I've never owned a smart phone or tablet of any sort, so I'm not sure what the compatibility requirements are.

Is the Kindle Paperwhite in color?

Benedict

Interesting -- poking around the Aura site, it looks like none of the Aura screenshots are in color? Color is a big deal, since one of the main things I'll be using this for is the Marvel comics subscription service. In fact, Marvel digital has an Android app and an iPad/iPhone app -- those would still theoretically be compatible with a Kindle, yeah? I've never owned a smart phone or tablet of any sort, so I'm not sure what the compatibility requirements are.

There are no affordable ebook readers in color so far.
You have to go with a plain tablet for that.

hythloday

The Kindle Paperwhite and the other "e-ink" readers are in black and white only. They're meant to mimic the look of a printed page.

For color, you'll need to use a smartphone app or a tablet.

Ah dammit, that's a bummer - I would have assumed color was a standard feature by now.

Thanks for the information though, I certainly appreciate it!

Kindle Fire isn't e-ink - just a regular tablet screen like iPad, etc. - but yes, you can sideload Android apps (no access to Google Play though).
So that means regular books will look shitty on it? It would be like reading something on my computer monitor?

Man, this is such a tricky conundrum!

So that means regular books will look shitty on it? It would be like reading something on my computer monitor?

Man, this is such a tricky conundrum!

Yeah, as others have said, e-ink doesn't have color. It probably won't for a while unless e-ink becomes in high demand for some reason. I don't expect to see color e-ink in any recent future.

If you're reading for comics, your options are basically tablets only. And a $150 tablet...well...you'll get what you pay for.

As someone who's owned every Nook version except the tablets, I say don't get a Nook. The Glowlight is okay, but it's just not the same quality as the Kindle in my opinion. I switched to a Kindle Paperwhite this year.

I don't have any experience with a Kobo, though.

That's generally what I hear, but I've only ever used that first Nook and it sucked. Not really indicative of the product as it exists now I assume.

Thinking of getting a Fire my an 8 year old. I hear the parentAl controls are good to there I can set times on each activity like movies and reading.

But are these built in or do I need to pay to use the controls through and third party app?

WorldStar

Banned
guys i have a question

i want a kindle voyage

which one should i get?

are special offers annoying?

should i go with 3g?

leaning towards without special offers & wifi only

thanks in advance

kharma45

guys i have a question

i want a kindle voyage

which one should i get?

are special offers annoying?

should i go with 3g?

leaning towards without special offers & wifi only

thanks in advance

That's what I went for. Well Wifi one since we don't get special offers here.

My thinking was that if I ever needed internet access out and about for some reason and there was no wifi I could just tether my phone.

WorldStar

Banned
how much is it to remove special offers if you choose to get the special offers model?

also, if you pay to remove special offers does it make it exactly the same as the non special offers voyage?

only asking because the special offers kindle voyage has an earlier ship date. wouldn't mind buying it then removing the special offers after if it isn't too expensive and if the kindle would be exactly the same as the non-special offers one.

thanks!

It's $20 dollars to remove special offers it then looks like exactly like a unit that never had them in the first place. The ads are not really intrusive at all. There is a small banner on your home screen and when you put the device to sleep there is an ad on the full screen. Nothing ever shows up when you are reading a book.

Rootbeer

Banned
i'm opting not to pay the $20 -- at least not yet. Because in the past they've had some pretty sweet special offers that you can only get through it. Like special sales on books or credit vouchers.

However, if you chose not to remove the special offers, DO at least go into your kindle settings and disable "cover view recommendations" because it uses a lot of screen real estate. You can view these offers at any time instead by going to the kindle menu and selecting "view special offers"

And guys... i just want to say that I'm not regretting my upgrade from PW1 to the Voyage one bit. It is much faster, crisper higher-DPI screen, way better touch experience since it's a totally flat surface on the screen side now (no raised bezel), and while the screen size is the same it looks smaller and weighs less than my old one. The double storage helps too.

It's still got a ways to go in its evolution, but i'm the kind of kindle user who doesn't mind upgrading to the new model every two years or so to get the new features and enhancements. Much like a cellphone or tablet or any piece of tech really.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't see the point of a higher resolution screen when Amazon fails at fonts.

Top Bottom