• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Fucking Canadians. :( Why do you guys get all the deals now?

I hope they are better than they used to be... Touchco used to have a pretty high failure rate of touchscreens. They are, at least were, pieces of shit.

Edit: That article is over a year old...

Damn it! Google Alerts sent it to me today. :\

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Fucking Canadians. :( Why do you guys get all the deals now?

It's our time now! All those years of getting screwed over with a 30-40% difference in the U.S. to Canadian dollar NO MORE! :p

mantidor

so is ghosting common? I only noticed until today when I was reading some comics, and when the background is gray the ghosting becomes very noticeable, you can basically read the previous page, very clearly.... I'm worried it will get worst with time.

Manics

Banned
mantidor said:
so is ghosting common? I only noticed until today when I was reading some comics, and when the background is gray the ghosting becomes very noticeable, you can basically read the previous page, very clearly.... I'm worried it will get worst with time.

Alt-G to refresh the page. Sometimes it doesn't do a full refresh when you change pages.

Yeah, I think the place where I notice the partial refreshes the most is in the browser. Move the arrow around the screen and it's common to see a trail of dim spaced apart arrows showing its path.

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
But now we have to suffer... :( Can't we just call a truce?

Psst, you can still do the Canadian address switchy thing to order Kindle books. Shhhh..don't tell anyone.

mantidor

Yup, alt+g solves the problem, but is annoying having to do it for every page, the browser is also a big problem. I guess e-ink is, for now, really meant to be used mainly on books, large images and comics aren't quite there yet.

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I thought people mentioned it the other page unless I'm mistaken.

I think someone said they got an email, or you might get an email, but I've never seen it. Then again the U.S. address I use I've actually shipped stuff to because my friend lives there so I guess they treat it as legit.

Sappy113

Soooo..... I just got a 200 dollar giftcard for Amazon for my birthday. I'm a pretty big reader, but I love the feel of a physical book, clunky though it may be. I'm still considering getting a Kindle, if nothing else just for the ability to have my books in one place and having them on something that's a lot easier to carry around with me. Still, would have a hard time giving up print books.

Now persuade me.

Manics

Banned
Sappy113 said:
Soooo..... I just got a 200 dollar giftcard for Amazon for my birthday. I'm a pretty big reader, but I love the feel of a physical book, clunky though it may be. I'm still considering getting a Kindle, if nothing else just for the ability to have my books in one place and having them on something that's a lot easier to carry around with me. Still, would have a hard time giving up print books.

Now persuade me.

Just transfer the 200 gift card to me, I'll put it to good use.

Nymerio

Sappy113 said:

Now persuade me.

You sound like me at the beginning of the thread. It's the very first reply in this thread. I actually thought that I could never like this thing as I like a real book. Here's my reply after having the kindle a few days:
Nymerio said:
My kindle arrived on tuesday and I could not be more surprised at how awesome this thing actually is. I'm actually cancelling my Dance of Dragons preorder and switching to the Kindle version. Being able to type notes, highlight passages and search through books is just amazing. First thing I did was to install the wallpaper jailbreak to get these amazing backgrounds. I also tried viewing some manga I converted with mangle, which is also pretty great. The text is a bit small in places but still perfectly readable.

Overall I'm astonished at how quickly I warmed to the whole E-Book idea. I thought I'd actually miss having the paper in my hands but within minutes I fell in love with this thing.

Also, I'm really glad i picked the cover with the little light. Reading in bed with the light on and the rainymood mp3 as background music is simply the best reading experience I've ever had.

One of my favourite features is the built in dictionary. Not being a native english speaker there are quite a few words I actually have to look up when I'm reading english books, and being able to just move the cursor to a word an getting a definition blew my mind.

TL;DR: I love my Kindle!

If you have the money to get one, I would definitely recommend to get a Kindle.

Oh, and get the cover with the reading lamp. That thing is genius.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's kind of sad we didn't think of it before. Anyone prefer to do it? Otherwise I can make it.

It's all you. :)

I did cut this off the site (because I'm bored), and re-size it to thread width if you want it:

pjR05.jpg

brentech

Nymerio said:
Oh, and get the cover with the reading lamp. That thing is genius.
Does it cover the entire reading area? One thing I hate about reading in poor light with a book is any part of my page having some shadow on it. I often find myself squirming to get the light right.

And I assume no reflection?

Guess we should have tried this out before making the thread but I don't see why it won't work.

Edit: Looks like it may work for pricing but not regional availability....

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, wait, I see Alice in Wonderland in the "Free Ebook" listing on Amazon.com, click "buy it now in 1-click" and I... can't use it/buy it because I don't have a Kindle attached? WTF. :/ I just want it to read it in BookR or something similar off my PC. :/

No, I don't want to buy an eBook reader and no I don't have a supported cellphone. I have a PSP. Dealwithit.gif

TheSeks said:
So, wait, I see Alice in Wonderland in the "Free Ebook" listing on Amazon.com, click "buy it now in 1-click" and I... can't use it/buy it because I don't have a Kindle attached? WTF. :/ I just want it to read it in BookR or something similar off my PC. :/

No, I don't want to buy an eBook reader and no I don't have a supported cellphone. I have a PSP. Dealwithit.gif

Why not use the kindle program on your pc if you're using a pc?

TheSeks

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why not use the kindle program on your pc if you're using a pc?

Can I move that ebook off the PC once I download it? Because I don't like sitting at the PC reading.

Basically, I get distracted reading ebooks at the computer. So I use my PSP as I don't get as distracted. It sucks if Kindle's format can't be transferred to non-Kindle stuff like that. :/

TheSeks said:
Can I move that ebook off the PC once I download it? Because I don't like sitting at the PC reading.

What would you read it with? You might be able to convert it with calibre or something similiar I would assume... You could also try downloading from barnes and noble instead if that doesn't work since b&n is epub IIRC and easier to deal with than kindle format for none kindle stuff.

TheSeks

I guess I'll look into converting then. Sucks Kindle has to have something tied to even get their books for non-Kindle readers, but I guess expected.

mantidor

TheSeks said:
I guess I'll look into converting then. Sucks Kindle has to have something tied to even get their books for non-Kindle readers, but I guess expected.

It's Alice in Wonderland, you can find dozens of free versions all over the internet, the kindle version is meant for a kindle, without one, why get it from amazon in the first place?

For other free books not in the public domain exclusive to Amazon it indeed sucks, but I really don't know of any to be honest.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
TheSeks said:

For something like Alice in Wonderland (and most public domain titles) I would think it would be easier to get them from Project Gutenberg than Amazon. I'm always getting public domain books, but I never go through Amazon as it is just easier to go through PG.

For Alice: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11

If anyone not from the US wants a book that is available on US store and paypal me the money and try to redeem and then if it doesn't work I'll just refund the paypal transaction so we can test it and if someone from canada can gift me a book I want and I'll paypal you the money to also try that out I'd greatly appreciate it. I had them lock the other thread temporarily until we make sure it works like we hope.

Angst

TheSeks said:

Basically, I get distracted reading ebooks at the computer. So I use my PSP as I don't get as distracted. It sucks if Kindle's format can't be transferred to non-Kindle stuff like that. :/
Have you tried looking for the book at one of the free repositories? For example Project Guthenberg or archive.org should have the book in non-kindle format.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've never been much for social networking, but lately I've been trying out having my Kindle connected to Facebook. It's kind of fun to snag quotes from (bad) books that I'm reading and posting them up to make jokes and poke fun. Though I ought not to do it too much or else I'll be just as annoying as those who fill up their lists with game spam.

Manics said:
I'm your huckleberry.
Leafs will win the cup next year! I believe in double B :')

If anyone wants a book from US store that isn't available in their region to test that let me know so we can test that also.

Angst

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Leafs will win the cup next year! I believe in double B :')

If anyone wants a book from US store that isn't available in their region to test that let me know so we can test that also.
Could you check if Stephen King's latest book is up for pre-order? The one with the JFK killing date as name? It's not available for pre-order here in Norway.

Manics

Banned
Angst said:
Could you check if Stephen King's latest book is up for pre-order? The one with the JFK killing date as name? It's not available for pre-order here in Norway.

That book isn't released until November, bit early to be asking now isn't it? ;-)

Angst said:

It is but you can't gift preorders. :( It would have to be a book that is currently released to test it.

Sappy113 said:

Now persuade me.
Get a big clunky case.
brentech said:
Does it cover the entire reading area? One thing I hate about reading in poor light with a book is any part of my page having some shadow on it. I often find myself squirming to get the light right.

And I assume no reflection?
It lights it fully, but not completely equally. Quite readable, though. Comparisons I made last year:

In a room with an overhead light:
20100901kindle1.jpg

Same room, light off:
20100901kindle2.jpg

Now with the lit Kindle case light. The light difference seems a bit exaggerated from reality.
20100901kindle3.jpg

And here with a Lightwedge paperback booklight. Which isn't convenient for holding with a Kindle.
20100901kindle6.jpg

brentech

JoshuaJSlone said:
Get a big clunky case.

It lights it fully, but not completely equally. Quite readable, though. Comparisons I made last year:
Appreciate the pictures. Looks like it would be fine as it slowly fades.

Manics

Banned
brentech said:
Appreciate the pictures. Looks like it would be fine as it slowly fades.
Personally I don't like the lighted case, my wife has one and the less light at the bottom of the screen bothers me.

I like reading the kindle with NO case, it's so slim and light it's great to hold without a case. I would recommend getting a carrying case only. Something to store the kindle in when you're not reading to protect it from damage, but when you want to read you take it out and read without a case.

As for light sources you can buy any cheap LED clip on light. They sell them at any bookstore. Clip the light on top of your kindle and you can read in the dark. It's as good or better then the lighted case cause you can adjust it to shine light wherever you want.

Pros:
doesnt draw any battery power from Kindle
Adjustable

Cons:
You have to remember to pack it whereever you go
Eventually have to change the battery

Engadget Barnes & Noble Nook WiFi review
Many who follow the e-reader market keep coming back to the same question: how long does it realistically have left? The explosion of tablets and reader apps for smartphones have left their respective impacts on the space, while the market for devoted readers continues to be dominated by Amazon's Kindle. Undaunted, both Kobo and Barnes & Noble launched new black and white e-readers based around the same touch and display technologies last week. After all, despite increased competition from outside the space, the reader market continues to be a vibrant one -- and after the Nook Color proved it was an undercover tablet all along, Barnes and Noble has hit back with this latest Nook as proof of its focus on one thing: reading.

Edit: This was already posted in the Nook thread, but I thought it was worth posting here too.

anyone get one of the kindles from woot last week? I got one and two days later I had crazy burn in on the screen and the screen went dark as hell

Top Bottom