• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Anslon said:
My wife is a very fast reader and is clicking the side button every 6 seconds or so. She complains of her hand hurting after a while. I told her to adjust the text size to smaller, but she says that she reads in a parking garage so it would hurt her eyes.

Are there any other solutions other than lowering the text size?
Try landscape mode. The different orientation may not bother the muscles as much. I've enjoyed reading in landscape mode myself. I like how the weight is balanced on my Kindle 2. Not sure how it would on on a K3.

A way to do autoscroll is turn on text to speech but turn the volume off. I'm not sure if it'll be able to keep up with her even at the fastest speed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anslon said:
Probably default. I watched her read a few pages and she isn't kidding. Idk how she does it. Is there any kind of auto scroll feature?

No auto scroll, but you can change the margin size.

VistraNorrez said:
A way to do autoscroll is turn on text to speech but turn the volume off. I'm not sure if it'll be able to keep up with her even at the fastest speed.

Sneaky!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
dr3upmushroom said:
Has anyone got any of the collections of classic authors that sell for a buck or two? I've got a few of the free ones (Poe and a Sherlock Holmes collection) but they aren't organized at all. Are the premium ones nicely put together?

I got the complete works of Dickens and it is very well organized. Was $3 I think.

Anslon said:
My wife is a very fast reader and is clicking the side button every 6 seconds or so. She complains of her hand hurting after a while. I told her to adjust the text size to smaller, but she says that she reads in a parking garage so it would hurt her eyes.

Are there any other solutions other than lowering the text size?

Good god your wife reads quickly. First, check that the typeface is set to condensed, and the line spacing is set to small. Then, like Stumpokapow suggested, edit the margins (directions below). I think most of us use 10, when the default smallest is 40. If you edit the margins, then toggle the margin option in the settings, you have to go back and re-edit them with your computer (oopse).

Changing the Margin Size
Credit to AL Waters for posting this on the Amazon forum... edited by me for typos.

If like me you think the default margins on the Kindle 3 are much larger than they need to be then there is a simple method to make them smaller.

Step 1: Go to the Home page of the kindle and put it in USB drive mode. (Make sure you're on the homepage not reading a novel)

Step 2: View the files of the K3 and select the organize tab in the top left. Go onto the folder and search options select view and deselect the hide protected operating system files and select show hidden folders. Apply the changes and a system folder should become visible.

Step 3: Open the system folder the com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader folder and open the reader file with notepad software.

Step 4: In this file you will find the line HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40. This is the line you need to change. Change the 40 to the amont of pixels you want the margin to be. I've found 10 works well. When you've made the change save the file.

Step 5: Reload your kindle. To make the change go to the settings press the menu again and choose to restart. DO THIS BEFORE YOU OPEN A BOOK TO READ. Once the Kindle restarts open the book you're reading and the margins should be altered.

Manics

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Has anyone got any of the collections of classic authors that sell for a buck or two? I've got a few of the free ones (Poe and a Sherlock Holmes collection) but they aren't organized at all. Are the premium ones nicely put together?

There's lots of Sherlock Holmes collections on there. This one has some good reviews and says it has an active table of contents and illustrations ($2.99)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DCB62M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Manics said:
Man, i'm an idiot. I had no idea that Amazon has a "cloud drive" service which gives you 5GB of storage for free. You can easily upload any eBook you own to the cloud, and then download it to your Kindle by navigating to the cloud service webpage on your Kindle. Mind blown.
Does this work? I tried, and I couldn't do it from the Amazon home page. It says the browser doesn't support multiple open windows.

Meier

I love my Kindle but I just got a Nook BW/touchscreen email and it sounds kind of amazing. Lil bit jealous.

Manics

Banned
adamsappel said:
Does this work? I tried, and I couldn't do it from the Amazon home page. It says the browser doesn't support multiple open windows.

http://booksprung.com/using-amazon-cloud-drive-to-store-ebooks

I've tested it and it works. Don't just click on the link of the book, check the checkbox beside it and then hit the "Download" button. It downloads the book right to your homescreen.

Also, the screenshots on that website are out of date, it shows you the title of the books you have stored now so there's no guesswork in what you're downloading to your kindle.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Meier said:
I love my Kindle but I just got a Nook BW/touchscreen email and it sounds kind of amazing. Lil bit jealous.

I picked up the nook touch yesterday and love it. Pretty much everyone who plays with it wants one. What's annoying is that I'm in the middle of reading a kindle book. Argh. Will not double dip!

Manics

Banned
Meier said:

Once you get down to reading a book on the device, does the new Nook REALLY make it any easier to read? The screen in the same as Kindle 3. Sure there's less black screen flash, but is this a huge annoyance for you? I'm reading far more books and far more quickly than I ever have before with the Kindle. I don't see that the new Nook will be a drastic change other than their new interface with pretty pictures.

commish

Manics said:
Once you get down to reading a book on the device, does the new Nook REALLY make it any easier to read? The screen in the same as Kindle 3. Sure there's less black screen flash, but is this a huge annoyance for you? I'm reading far more books and far more quickly than I ever have before with the Kindle. I don't see that the new Nook will be a drastic change other than their new interface with pretty pictures.

For some, like me, the smaller size makes a big difference. I never bought a kindle before because they were just too big. The new nook is much easier to manage.

I have a Kindle 2 and I love to check out my bro's K3, as I'm somewhat jealous, but when I get really engrossed in a book I don't care. Plus I know I'll make him jealous when I get the next Kindle and he's the one a generation back.

And if we are going to speculate on the next Kindle I can see Amazon using that 300 dpi e-ink screen. That would be what I would want most, keep improving that screen. Touch doesn't concern me so much because it doesnt seem too useful to me, and that infrared tech looks like it needs improvement. I think it's a given touch will be included anyway. I'd live to see a new Kindle before summer's end, but it doesn't seem likely or smart. A late fall release seems better.

Manics

Banned
commish said:
For some, like me, the smaller size makes a big difference. I never bought a kindle before because they were just too big. The new nook is much easier to manage.

The size isn't that much different.

Nook is 6.5" H 5.0"W
Kindle 7.5"H 4.8"W

Salaadin

Are there any rumblings of a new Kindle coming out soon? Im sorta interested in one but dont want to bite the bullet if a revision is around the corner...

commish

Manics said:
The size isn't that much different.

Nook is 6.5" H 5.0"W
Kindle 7.5"H 4.8"W

An inch on a 7 inch device is a pretty big difference. But to each their own.

commish

Socreges said:
Maybe commish has pockets one inch smaller than the rest of us. ;)

Look at the comparison... seems pretty significant to me, at least.

kindle-vs-nook-vs-kobo.jpg

Manics

Banned
commish said:

That picture can't be right. The new Kobo is listed at 6.5" the same as the Nook but it looks bigger than the Nook in that picture.

As I thought, looks like they just joined the pictures together, they're not to scale as they didn't have all 3 units when they posted that.

Socreges

Banned
commish said:

Well, that's not to scale.

Either way we know that there's an inch difference. Just functionally speaking, I can't see how it's an important difference. To the point where the Kindle 3 was "too big", all because of that one inch in height. Ultimately the Kindle is quite small and light, too.

Now the extra thickness on the Nook actually strikes me as something worth discussing (easier to grip).

Sleepy

commish said:
An inch on a 7 inch device is a pretty big difference. But to each their own.

Socreges said:
Now the extra thickness on the Nook actually strikes me as something worth discussing (easier to grip).

lulz

Seems like the screens are the same size to me. Optical illusions, etc...

I want the next Kindle to do away with the keyboard. Amazon will find a way to do it without the awkward, oversensitive infrared crap, even if it means a 2012 revision.

I don't want to sound like an OCD nutjob, but the only thing I don't like about the Kindle is the "using a computer" feeling I get from having the keyboard staring at me the whole time. Just having the screen with the text would go a long way toward creating a warmer, more familiar reading experience.

Sleepy

Manics said:
Screens are the same but the Nook is an inch smaller due to no keyboard.

I guess I misunderstood what you guys were discussing...

Going to check out the new Nook tonight at B&N. After farting around with the Kindle at Target, the Nook has to be incredible for me to change my purchasing plans.

commish

Socreges said:
Well, that's not to scale.

Either way we know that there's an inch difference. Just functionally speaking, I can't see how it's an important difference. To the point where the Kindle 3 was "too big", all because of that one inch in height. Ultimately the Kindle is quite small and light, too.

Okay, then don't buy it? Looking at the pics, like the one Manics posted, there seems to be a difference. But if that difference doesn't matter to you, then keep your kindle. Pretty simple :)

Functionally speaking, I think there's no difference at all, in the sense that both are e-readers and don't do much else. Touch is nice, makes it feel more like a book rather than a reading device. If I had a kindle, I certainly wouldn't run out to get this. I'm sure Amazon will have a superior device next time around.

I'm getting a little annoyed at the format difference though. I now have multiple books across Kindle, iBookstore, and now Nook. And, interestingly enough, some of my epub books won't work on my nook.

Sleepy

commish said:
I'm getting a little annoyed at the format difference though. I now have multiple books across Kindle, iBookstore, and now Nook. And, interestingly enough, some of my epub books won't work on my nook.

Calibre is your new friend.

Socreges

Banned
commish said:
Okay, then don't buy it? Looking at the pics, like the one Manics posted, there seems to be a difference. But if that difference doesn't matter to you, then keep your kindle. Pretty simple :)
FINE THEN, I WON'T

Was just talking about the merits of size, not really comparing the two in terms of superior/inferior. I'd actually swap the Kindle 3 for a new Nook in a heartbeat, but I've only just adopted and can't see myself bothering to upgrade for another year (and some more substantial differences). Ultimately the reading experience is effectively the same.

commish

Help Me! said:
Calibre is your new friend.

Actually, maybe you guys can help me. I can't find my kindle books on my computer. I think they are supposed to be My Kindle folder or something, but I have no such folder. I downloaded Kindle for my mac, installed it, downloaded some of my previously purchased books, but the book files don't exist on my computer!

commish said:
Actually, maybe you guys can help me. I can't find my kindle books on my computer. I think they are supposed to be My Kindle folder or something, but I have no such folder. I downloaded Kindle for my mac, installed it, downloaded some of my previously purchased books, but the book files don't exist on my computer!
Mine are in a folder called "My Kindle Content" which is in my Documents folder.

Socreges

Banned
Help Me! said:
This thread is bring the lulz today.
Really? The Daily Show and Colbert Report have been endlessly covering Cgr Weiner's penis tweet the last few days, so I saw the potential but didn't think it passed quality control.

Leona Lewis said:
I want the next Kindle to do away with the keyboard. Amazon will find a way to do it without the awkward, oversensitive infrared crap, even if it means a 2012 revision.

I don't want to sound like an OCD nutjob, but the only thing I don't like about the Kindle is the "using a computer" feeling I get from having the keyboard staring at me the whole time. Just having the screen with the text would go a long way toward creating a warmer, more familiar reading experience.
I could see them phasing out the DX as we know it and having one 6" Kindle with keyboard and one without. The keyboard is far more popular than people realize. Or maybe the next DX would keep the screen size but eliminate the keyboard. It really doesn't need one. I wonder if a slide out keyboard is feasible.

But seriously if you don't have or want a Kindle you really shouldn't be in this thread. I know I don't even peek into the Nook thread.

Sleepy

Socreges said:
Really? The Daily Show and Colbert Report have been endlessly covering Cgr Weiner's penis tweet the last few days, so I saw the potential but didn't think it passed quality control.

I don't know; my humor meter may be defective today. ????

How is Barnes and Noble's return policy? Because, I sat down with my Kindle in my shorts' front pocket and heard an ominous CRACK. The screen is broken, with half a title page showing. One phone call to Amazon later and a new Kindle is on its way.

adamsappel said:
How is Barnes and Noble's return policy? Because, I sat down with my Kindle in my shorts' front pocket and heard an ominous CRACK. The screen is broken, with half a title page showing. One phone call to Amazon later and a new Kindle is on its way.

No one beats Amazon with returns.

womp

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
No one beats Amazon with returns.

This is a huge factor when it comes to deciding on these devices IMO, plus I find the Amazon Kindle store to have a better selection and better prices in many cases as well.

My big issue with Nook is that my wife has the Nook Color and it's a pain in the ass to have to load up the laptop and log into B&N's website to mass delete her magazines and samples every week just for the simple utter ridiculous fact that B&N doesn't allow you to delete from the damned Nook.

It boggles the mind.

As for the interface, outside the original Nook's horrible one, they are pretty redundant at this point since you will be spending the bulk of your time reading and not playing around in menus much. This isn't an iPhone after all.

That said, Kindle 3 works works perfectly fine with its D-Pad/center button. If you want touch that badly, well, here ya go....But I think the above things are more important at this point of the game.

Any mystery fans out there looks like 3 of Russell Atwood's books, the Peyton Sherwood series, are $.99. They are the short East Village Noir and the 2 novels, East of A and Losers Live Longer.

Sleepy

Got to play around with the new Nook and it's pretty nice. Touch works well, and the page refresh is really sweet. I loved the implementation of footnotes, just touch and go! However, I couldn't find a font size that suited me-- the lowest size was too minute and the next size took up too much space on the screen (I tried not to allow for any innuendo with the description :)). Also, no matter what I did I couldn't get the highlighting feature to work. The feel of the device was just "off," too. So after all that, I will probably get the Kindle. Anyone on the fence should definitely check out the Nook though.

womp

Help Me! said:
Got to play around with the new Nook and it's pretty nice. Touch works well, and the page refresh is really sweet. I loved the implementation of footnotes, just touch and go! However, I couldn't find a font size that suited me-- the lowest size was too minute and the next size took up too much space on the screen (I tried not to allow for any innuendo with the description :)). Also, no matter what I did I couldn't get the highlighting feature to work. The feel of the device was just "off," too. So after all that, I will probably get the Kindle. Anyone on the fence should definitely check out the Nook though.

I think the new Nook's touch selection of words would drive me nuts, it's already haphazard on an iPad for me as it is if I want to select text on website (I don't have huge hands either :p).

Doing the same on my Droid X is bad enough.

I've read in a couple reviews that it is a bit hard to tell where you are touching under your finger, in terms of accuracy that is. Next time I venture out I will check out a demo unit and most likely confirm my feelings. hehe.

commish

womp said:
This is a huge factor when it comes to deciding on these devices IMO, plus I find the Amazon Kindle store to have a better selection and better prices in many cases as well.

My big issue with Nook is that my wife has the Nook Color and it's a pain in the ass to have to load up the laptop and log into B&N's website to mass delete her magazines and samples every week just for the simple utter ridiculous fact that B&N doesn't allow you to delete from the damned Nook.

It boggles the mind.

As for the interface, outside the original Nook's horrible one, they are pretty redundant at this point since you will be spending the bulk of your time reading and not playing around in menus much. This isn't an iPhone after all.

That said, Kindle 3 works works perfectly fine with its D-Pad/center button. If you want touch that badly, well, here ya go....But I think the above things are more important at this point of the game.

Returns are a huge factor when picking an ereader because you might sit on it and break it ? Seriously?!

commish said:
Returns are a huge factor when picking an ereader because you might sit on it and break it ? Seriously?!

The quality and responsiveness of Amazons customer service is a positive factor when considering a Kindle.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
commish said:

Not just returns, but customer service in general is excellent. I've had few problems with Kindle thus far, but the few times there were Amazon was right on it and willing to fix the problem. Of course I can't say one way or the other about other companies, and they may have excellent customer service as well, but with this sort of purchase it is definitely something to consider.

Raistlin

Manics said:
That picture can't be right. The new Kobo is listed at 6.5" the same as the Nook but it looks bigger than the Nook in that picture.

As I thought, looks like they just joined the pictures together, they're not to scale as they didn't have all 3 units when they posted that.
Huh? The screen's the same size in all of those.

It's a 1:1:1 scale. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Leona Lewis said:
Even if? They aren't bringing out a new eInk this year to my knowledge. They're concentrating on their Android tablets. It's the exact reverse of last year between Amazon and B&N.

Sleepy

womp said:
I've read in a couple reviews that it is a bit hard to tell where you are touching under your finger, in terms of accuracy that is.

I will agree with this. Even highlighting words was difficult. Trying to highlight entire passages was damn impossible for me. The "highlighting" was jumpy and at the end the screen would look something like this:

Some people have a difficult time with the highlighting feature.

Where I wanted to highlight the entire sentence, but only the first and last words would be highlighted. Really frustrating. I tried to get it to work for a few minutes, too. Until the person behind me started getting antsy, and I gave up.

Manics

Banned
Raistlin said:
Huh? The screen's the same size in all of those.

It's a 1:1:1 scale. Or am I misunderstanding your post?
Ya that picture isn't a 1:1:1 scale. They didn't have all 3 units but just placed pictures of all 3 together with how they thought it would be. The most telling one is the Nook and Kobo. They are both the same exact height of 6.5" but in their side by side they have the Kobo taller.

Polari

The new nook looks great, but personally I'm completely satisifed with the form factor and ergonomics of the current Kindle. The only way it could be improved IMHO is perhaps a touch screen and colour eInk display with no refresh lag, all of which will come in due course I imagine. It's weird, I was skeptical of Amazon's ability to deliver a great consumer electronics device but the Kindle is certainly that.

Help Me! said:
I will agree with this. Even highlighting words was difficult. Trying to highlight entire passages was damn impossible for me. The "highlighting" was jumpy and at the end the screen would look something like this:

Some people have a difficult time with the highlighting feature.

Where I wanted to highlight the entire sentence, but only the first and last words would be highlighted. Really frustrating. I tried to get it to work for a few minutes, too. Until the person behind me started getting antsy, and I gave up.

Was it literally beginning of sentence to end of sentence, like to the period? I've never seen a problem with that but with video reviews it will hope a word in either direction at times for seemingly no reason.

Socreges said:
You sure? They're each ~$6 each from what I can see. Unless the Sunshine Deal prices are different depending on region?

And the Notepad app isn't available for me.... dang.

(in Canada)

Manics said:
Get someone in the U.S. to gift if to you.

Zaraki_Kenpachi will step up, he loves gifting and being gifted.

Ya, if anyone needs something gifted from the US store don't hesitate to message me.

Top Bottom