• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I need an E-Reader and Kindle looks the best by far. But I need it now... I might have to bite on another one that I can buy through a physical store. Anyone have any experience with Papyre 5.1 and/or Papyre 6.1?

freshair

Lonely1 said:
Damn, I need an E-Reader and Kindle looks the best by far. But I need it now... I might have to bite on another one that I can buy through a physical store. Anyone have any experience with Papyre 5.1 and/or Papyre 6.1?

Target carries the Kindle.

[edit] you're in mexico city. nvm :(

So basically there is no way I can convert this .tpz file because it's DRM protected, meaning I can't get chapter markers on the book I just bought? That really sucks.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Weenerz said:
Best Buy and Wal-Mart carry them too, if they are in your country.
They are here. But per their webpages, they seem not carry it here. I might go to check them out though.

renitou

Lonely1 said:
You can't wait two days for it to ship to you?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, by doing a bit of more research on the subject, it looks like Kindle (and E-readers in general) performance on PDFs is less than ideal. How are your experience in the subject? Since I plan to sue it mostly for PDF with lots of math equations, so the re-flow/convert thing might not be ideal.

Manics

Banned
Lonely1 said:
So, by doing a bit of more research on the subject, it looks like Kindle (and E-readers in general) performance on PDFs is less than ideal. How are your experience in the subject? Since I plan to sue it mostly for PDF with lots of math equations, so the re-flow/convert thing might not be ideal.
PDF's as a book format suck. Whoever came up with that format needs a swift kick to the balls. That being said, the Kindle isn't that great for PDFs

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Manics said:
PDF's as a book format suck. Whoever came up with that format needs a swift kick to the balls. That being said, the Kindle isn't that great for PDFs
So, how does (the other better formats) handle math equations and diagrams? Does any E-reader has support for DVI/Ghostcript?

Zzoram

kaskade said:

I think this year the Kindle 4 will be the 6" e-Ink device, with the ad-supported version going for $99, non-ad wifi at $129, 3G at $179, but the Kindle DX will be replaced by the Kindle Tablet running a modified Android 3.x with integrated Amazon app store and Kindle app. This will allow Amazon to continue it's dominance in the e-Ink market while expanding to the tablet market.

The Kindle DX as a 9.7" e-Ink device for $379 was always a terrible value proposition. It's bigger than necessary for reading, far too expensive relative to tablets, and due to a lack of touch screen and apps it wasn't good for non-reading uses either. Kindle Tablet 9.7" replacing the Kindle DX at a $399-499 price point would be a great idea and is rumored to be in the works.

Zebra

Lonely1 said:
So, how does (the other better formats) handle math equations and diagrams? Does any E-reader has support for DVI/Ghostcript?

I can only speak from the experience of having only one Kindle book that has equations, but it didn't look good. Equations appeared to just be low-res pictures of the equations. Their size is static, and they look really blocky. However, they are tolerable, and it doesn't bother me so long as I can tell what it is I'm reading which is what counts. Although, diagrams and graphs looked fine.

I'm not sure that was the case just for this particular book, or if that's how it is for all kindle books.

Therion

Lonely1 said:
So, how does (the other better formats) handle math equations and diagrams?

I've mostly stuck to paper for that kind of reading, due to:

a) Better second-hand prices.
b) These tend to be the types of books I want to flip back and forth in constantly.
c) Besides formulas, technical books are full of formatting that won't re-flow well.
d) I can't conceive of a method for displaying long series of formulas on a 6" screen in any readable way.

However, I do own one book and several issues of one magazine that include formulas, and they both have them as images that you can click on to zoom. I think I might have checked sample chapters for some other books and found the same thing.

Ultimately, I'm waiting for an update to the DX, either in hardware or software, that gives it better PDF support, before I make the switch for technical reading.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Therion said:
I've mostly stuck to paper for that kind of reading, due to:

a) Better second-hand prices.
b) These tend to be the types of books I want to flip back and forth in constantly.
c) Besides formulas, technical books are full of formatting that won't re-flow well.
d) I can't conceive of a method for displaying long series of formulas on a 6" screen in any readable way.

However, I do own one book and several issues of one magazine that include formulas, and they both have them as images that you can click on to zoom. I think I might have checked sample chapters for some other books and found the same thing.

Ultimately, I'm waiting for an update to the DX, either in hardware or software, that gives it better PDF support, before I make the switch for technical reading.

Thought as much, :( . So, I'm looking at a tablet now?

Manics

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Never read a book with equations and graphs and stuff. The Kindle is a book reader in the sense of text. A properly formatted ebook on the kindle with hyperlinks for footnotes, chapters etc is king. When you get into images (like all PDF files are) then the eReaders are not great at it. When I say "better format" I mean to replace traditional novels not textbooks with graphics.

Smithy C said:
No one does this.

I want to see the numbers of how many people do this before I believe what he says.
It's even exceedingly awkward if you wanted to show off. It would make more sense with bookshelves where you don't have to do anything they can just see them but to have to get out your kindle and have them hit page next until you run out seems kind of awkward to do. I don't really believe anyone does this.

Blu_LED said:
What's up with Kindle books not having chapter markers? I just bought 1984, and it doesn't have them. Shouldn't that be a requirement for all books?

It all depends on the publisher. A lot of the books aren't badly done but most don't have chapter markers that I've come across. Some don't even have "go to" for things such as table of contents and such which is frustrating. I hope it eventually gets improved upon, seems like a rather lackluster effort by publishers at times.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Lonely1 said:

I have converted tons of PDFs using calibre seamlessly. I don't know what the issue here is since I haven't yet had one. A couple of times the spacing is off between paragraphs and dumb formatting stuff like that, but it really doesn't make it an issue and I continue to read by daily briefings on my Kindle.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It all depends on the publisher. A lot of the books aren't badly done but most don't have chapter markers that I've come across. Some don't even have "go to" for things such as table of contents and such which is frustrating. I hope it eventually gets improved upon, seems like a rather lackluster effort by publishers at times.

It really is on of the reasons why I can't stand using an eBook for research, for school, for work etc. I can literally flip around a book back and forth much easier and faster than if I have to find something I underlined on a page with the Kindle. For casual and recreational reading, the Kindle is great.

As for what you noted on the table of context, publishers will start to implement it more as the eBook market grows.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If I could check out books at my county library using Kindle, I would buy one so fast.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Jayayess1190 said:
Soon. Did you read the thread that ePub support is coming to the Kindle?
Nope. I honestly don't know anything about the matter, except that it's not currently supported. But seriously, when it happens, I'm there day one.
UltimaKilo said:
Has he even read this thread? :lol
I've poked my head in a few times, but haven't seen any mention of ePub. Don't even know what it is. :shrug: Any info/insight/speculation is appreciated.

Esiquio

Blu_LED said:
What's up with Kindle books not having chapter markers? I just bought 1984, and it doesn't have them. Shouldn't that be a requirement for all books?

It's an ICX file...and I wish all books had it. I'm trying to figure out how to manually add it in on some books I own, though, with Calibre...

Blu_LED said:
So basically there is no way I can convert this .tpz file because it's DRM protected, meaning I can't get chapter markers on the book I just bought? That really sucks.
I think there is a way to (more) easily strip the DRM from Topaz. With bloodydrake's link Ebook Formats, DRM and You — A Guide for the Perplexed will provide: Calibre Plugins: combined tools package that contains Calibre plugins for Mobipocket (.prc/.mobi), Kindle Mobipocket (.azw), Kindle Topaz (.tpz/.azw1), Adobe ePub (.epub), Adobe PDF (.pdf), B&N ePub (.epub), B&N/Fictionwise eReader (.pdb)

All you have to do is add the plugins to Calibre (directions in the first link), and you should be good.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
omg.kittens said:
I've poked my head in a few times, but haven't seen any mention of ePub. Don't even know what it is. :shrug: Any info/insight/speculation is appreciated.

Well then, let me speed ya up. It seems as if the Kindle lending is coming to a library near-you in a couple of months. You can already borrow books from others using booklending.com and it works great. The downside is that not every book can be borrowed and that if you lend a book, it can never be lent again.

I've borrowed 2 books already and I loved the way it works.

bangai-o

Banned
Zzoram said:
I think this year the Kindle 4 will be the 6" e-Ink device, with the ad-supported version going for $99, non-ad wifi at $129, 3G at $179, but the Kindle DX will be replaced by the Kindle Tablet running a modified Android 3.x with integrated Amazon app store and Kindle app. This will allow Amazon to continue it's dominance in the e-Ink market while expanding to the tablet market.

The Kindle DX as a 9.7" e-Ink device for $379 was always a terrible value proposition. It's bigger than necessary for reading, far too expensive relative to tablets, and due to a lack of touch screen and apps it wasn't good for non-reading uses either. Kindle Tablet 9.7" replacing the Kindle DX at a $399-499 price point would be a great idea and is rumored to be in the works.
how bout some Amazon Mp3/cloud function? One thing i wonder is with the Kindle upping its capabilities, will they continue to get free 3g.

Manics

Banned
omg.kittens said:
ePub is an ebook format which is more widely accepted than Amazon's own format (.azn which is actually just .mobi with some extra encryption stuff) ePub files are ACTUALLY just zip files that contain XML and HTML files in there. You can actually use winzip to unzip an ePub file to see all the individual files of text in the ebook. Anyway, rumours are that Amazon will support ePub format with a software update soon. Once this happens (supposedly this year) then you'll be able to check out library books with your kindle.

UltimaKilo said:
I have converted tons of PDFs using calibre seamlessly. I don't know what the issue here is since I haven't yet had one. A couple of times the spacing is off between paragraphs and dumb formatting stuff like that, but it really doesn't make it an issue and I continue to read by daily briefings on my Kindle.

It really is on of the reasons why I can't stand using an eBook for research, for school, for work etc. I can literally flip around a book back and forth much easier and faster than if I have to find something I underlined on a page with the Kindle. For casual and recreational reading, the Kindle is great.

As for what you noted on the table of context, publishers will start to implement it more as the eBook market grows.
Ya, they seem to be trying to protect physical books so they half ass ebooks at times and it shows. If you underline isn't there a menu to show you all your underlines? If you do that flipping back and forth should become rather easy.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If the kindle had user defined zoom it would be fine for PDF's. Why the hell they wouldn't include that is beyond me.

Timedog said:
If the kindle had user defined zoom it would be fine for PDF's. Why the hell they wouldn't include that is beyond me.

Because you would literally never use it. Eink refreshes way too slow. If you've ever used the experimental browser and zoomed in it's really slow to move across a page. Perception of it would probably be more detrimental that's why it won't zoom bigger than the screen size. I guess they could do it like the browser and have a block and it zooms into where you move the block and hit zoom but still not very ideal with slower refresh rate.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Because you would literally never use it. Eink refreshes way too slow. If you've ever used the experimental browser and zoomed in it's really slow to move across a page. Perception of it would probably be more detrimental that's why it won't zoom bigger than the screen size. I guess they could do it like the browser and have a block and it zooms into where you move the block and hit zoom but still not very ideal with slower refresh rate.
PDFs can zoom so the content is larger than the screen size. The problem is that with the few options there are, it's easy to get a situation where there's a chunk of content I want to look at, and I have the choice of it either only being 70% as wide as the screen, or at the next zoom level 140% as wide as the screen. Or the zoom level is appropriate, but with the navigation options I can end up with either 20% of what I want to see hanging off the left side, or 20% of what I want to see hanging off the right side.

JoshuaJSlone said:
PDFs can zoom so the content is larger than the screen size. The problem is that with the few options there are, it's easy to get a situation where there's a chunk of content I want to look at, and I have the choice of it either only being 70% as wide as the screen, or at the next zoom level 140% as wide as the screen. Or the zoom level is appropriate, but with the navigation options I can end up with either 20% of what I want to see hanging off the left side, or 20% of what I want to see hanging off the right side.
Wait so you mean more levels of zoom then? I've never used pdfs on it so I assumed it was like the ebooks where it won't zoom to bigger than screen. Why do they not allow that kind of zoom for their books then? I want to see my LOTR maps easier. :(

Bookeen has actually made some sort of software that allows for "smooth-scrolling", here's the video: http://youtu.be/CxwceUvxlCo. It's an e-ink screen, but I'm not sure what else they are using to control the screen moving like that. Who knows what it does to a standard Kindle battery either.

Here's the article from Engadget. And that article links to another article where they have video playing on an e-ink screen as well.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why do they not allow that kind of zoom for their books then? I want to see my LOTR maps easier. :(
I think with the low-ish resolution screens and only having 4-16 shades of gray depending on the model, they've just really really placed a low priority on images both in reading software and the publishing side. After the nice images in the Kindle user guide and such, seeing low color/low resolution/off center images in some books is one of my biggest beefs with the whole Kindle experience.

EDIT: Since I was looking up old Kindle shots, here's a PDF displaying a full page, and here's a section really zoomed in.

If you're reading PDFs you are better off using landscape mode anyway, but really the Kindle just isn't cut out for it as hard as they try.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think with the low-ish resolution screens and only having 4-16 shades of gray depending on the model, they've just really really placed a low priority on images both in reading software and the publishing side. After the nice images in the Kindle user guide and such, seeing low color/low resolution/off center images in some books is one of my biggest beefs with the whole Kindle experience.

EDIT: Since I was looking up old Kindle shots, here's a PDF displaying a full page, and here's a section really zoomed in.

Is it still cumbersome if you are rotating the screen? If it doesn't fit the page I would assume rotating would alleviate a lot of that no? And ya, it's disappointing the effort publishers have point in at times. It's frustrating too since you hope by purchasing more they will put in more effort but also worry if you buy a lot that they won't since you're already buying a lot and doesn't need attention.

VistraNorrez said:
If you're reading PDFs you are better off using landscape mode anyway, but really the Kindle just isn't cut out for it as hard as they try.

Ah, ok. That pretty much answers my question then.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait so you mean more levels of zoom then? I've never used pdfs on it so I assumed it was like the ebooks where it won't zoom to bigger than screen. Why do they not allow that kind of zoom for their books then? I want to see my LOTR maps easier. :(

I can tell you what I did after I hit the same problem with my Song of Ice and Fire maps. I downloaded the maps and put them in a separate folder and used the image viewer to view them. It is is a bit slow but it can zoom in and out.

PjotrStroganov said:
I can tell you what I did after I hit the same problem with my Song of Ice and Fire maps. I downloaded the maps and put them in a separate folder and used the image viewer to view them. It is is a bit slow but it can zoom in and out.
Huh, I didn't even think of that. It's not too bad since in the appendix they have the overview map broken into different chunks but I may do what you suggest so it's more convenient. Thanks!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. Thanks for the responses about the ePub stuff! I'll wait till details on this are confirmed till dipping in, probably.

Manics

Banned
I love this thread, so much advice and friendliness in here. If only the rest of GAF took tips from this thread. I already complimented the thread maker and I do it again, bravo for starting this thread.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, they seem to be trying to protect physical books so they half ass ebooks at times and it shows. If you underline isn't there a menu to show you all your underlines? If you do that flipping back and forth should become rather easy.

I'm curious to see what the market will look like in a year, year and a half. The way the eInk reader market is growing and the vast improvements that continue to be made should make way for improved eBooks in the near-future.

Yeah there is a menu, but it is still a bit obtuse compared to holding 5 pages open and flipping back and forth in under a second. At the same time, to go to the page where you have the underlined passage takes an extra step. When you're pumping out reports, it's not exactly ideal. =/

Edit: The Kindle, while very fast, could still be faster IMO.

UltimaKilo said:
I'm curious to see what the market will look like in a year, year and a half. The way the eInk reader market is growing and the vast improvements that continue to be made should make way for improved eBooks in the near-future.

Yeah there is a menu, but it is still a bit obtuse compared to holding 5 pages open and flipping back and forth in under a second. At the same time, to go to the page where you have the underlined passage takes an extra step. When you're pumping out reports, it's not exactly ideal. =/

Edit: The Kindle, while very fast, could still be faster IMO.

Is there a way to go forward on the kindle? I know you can go to a page then hit back to flipback to a page but is there a way to go forward back to the page you went to? If they added that flipping between pages like you suggest would be a breeze.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there a way to go forward on the kindle? I know you can go to a page then hit back to flipback to a page but is there a way to go forward back to the page you went to? If they added that flipping between pages like you suggest would be a breeze.

Unfortunately, not at the moment. I agree with you, if they can implement this in a viable way, it would be a major step, at least for me, in saying goodbye to a lot more physical books that I use.

It would be great if you had a PDF that references a chart that is 30 pages back and had to flip back and forth to that figure throughout the document.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
UltimaKilo said:
It would be great if you had a PDF that references a chart that is 30 pages back and had to flip back and forth to that figure throughout the document.
Hyperlinking would solve that. Then a hit of the back button to go back to the chart. Lots of clever ways to solve this issue.

Easily assignable multiple hardware keyboard bookmark keys would be great, too.

UltimaKilo said:
Unfortunately, not at the moment. I agree with you, if they can implement this in a viable way, it would be a major step, at least for me, in saying goodbye to a lot more physical books that I use.

They should be able to. Just make shift+back or alt+back be forward. Really no reason that there isn't a forward.

Top Bottom