• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime video will start showing ads in January…. Unless you pay up (more)

Vlodril

it is a fair thing no? amazon subs are cheap once you considered everything included, and how much content prime videos added since?

As a capitalist and owning amz, every businesses are increasing their asking price behind the inflation storyline, suck but unless everyone riots at the same thing, nothing we can do

There is something we can do and that is not use or buy their crappy service. We ll see then for how long the prices will stay high. Personally i canceled Prime (only the video service here) and i also canceled ps plus premium because those new prices are insane. Maybe i'll get some basic ps plus in the future if it's on a good sale but i don't really need it.

Netflix is the only service that kinda justifies the price and they haven't done the increase yet or the share between family members stuff here. I'll probably cut that too if/when they do.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The reason is because your TV shows you ads constantly in it's UI if you keep it connected to the Internet these days

I gave up on the whole smart tv concept, mine isn’t even connected to the internet anymore god this very reason: I had ads in the UI.

Instead bought an Apple TV for all my smart needs. Bliss.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So they want consumers to pay three times for one service.
One with cash, another with our privacy, and now wasting our time with ads.
This is sheer exploitation.
Dude the virtual signalling about privacy concern needs to stop - not aimed at you but as you said it - the terms and conditions that people tick a box for to accept but never bother to read will clearly indicate that your privacy concern rights are waived - getting on a high horse about it AFTER you have effectively signed this by clicking that you 'agree' is pointless.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Already cancelled the yearly renewal. The insane price for Prime isn't even worth the "free shipping" that you get even without it.

I pay £8.99 for Amazon Prime. The video service is okay. It's not the best streaming service out there and we watch it occasionally, plus I like they have the odd Premier League game on (watched Bournemouth v Fulham today).

However, the video service is just a bonus. I make the most use out of the free next day delivery service. It's a great price for TV streaming and next day delivery, and maybe not so long ago I would have accepted the increase, but not any more. I'm tired of the constant increases and because I rarely watch Prime Video, Amazon won't be getting any extra from me.
Since I cancelled a few months back, here in the UK. I've already had 1 month and 2 x 1 week free prime trials. Since unsubbing I just consolidate my ordering and spend far less in general - which is likely why I keep getting offered so many trials. And recently I just saved one of the trials and redeemed it over Christmas for delivery convenience.

winjer

Gold Member
Dude the virtual signalling about privacy concern needs to stop - not aimed at you but as you said it - the terms and conditions that people tick a box for to accept but never bother to read will clearly indicate that your privacy concern rights are waived - getting on a high horse about it AFTER you have effectively signed this by clicking that you 'agree' is pointless.

Privacy is a very important right in a modern, democracy and free society.
Don't try to pretend that it's alright that companies try so hard to extract as much data as they can from us.
EULAs are a one sided agreement, that companies force unto us. There is no option to opt out, unless we decide not to have any service at all.
But if that is something we have to pay for a service, then you have to take into consideration that our data is worth billions.
Sacrificing our privacy is already a high price to pay, and it's already a high revenue these companies get from us.
This is why I said we are going to pay 3 times for Prime. One with our money, another with privacy and another with our time.
This is a ridiculously expensive cost to pay.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You probably forgot how the cable TV worked...

Nope. I never cut the cord.

What I’m paying for gigabit speed internet/cable/router rental/fees is the same as I’d be paying for internet and one service like Hulu or YouTube.

I watched as those supposed savings dried up, and the gap between cable and subscription services closed. Now it’s ridiculous with so many subscription services, all of whom have raised their rates.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Privacy is a very important right in a modern, democracy and free society.
Don't try to pretend that it's alright that companies try so hard to extract as much data as they can from us.
EULAs are a one sided agreement, that companies force unto us. There is no option to opt out, unless we decide not to have any service at all.
But if that is something we have to pay for a service, then you have to take into consideration that our data is worth billions.
Sacrificing our privacy is already a high price to pay, and it's already a high revenue these companies get from us.
This is why I said we are going to pay 3 times for Prime. One with our money, another with privacy and another with our time.
This is a ridiculously expensive cost to pay.
I never said it was okay I just said that the metaphorical box everyone ticks if people stopped to read what they were actually agreeing to, they'd never sign it / tick it - but I agree there needs to be stipulations rather than a one tick fits all approach.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I'm not sure if its greed, or if the streaming model is unsustainable since Netflix recently raised their prices and introduced adverts also.

What I’m paying for gigabit speed internet/cable/router rental/fees is the same as I’d be paying for internet and one service like Hulu or YouTube.
The fundamental difference between cable and the modern streaming services is convenience. In the past you had no opportunity to rewatch series, you could miss episodes completely, everything was on schedule and so on.

Haemi

As soon as all streaming services pick up ads:
wYXkZhj.gif

"Ad free shows and movies? Download them! Somewhere on the internet you can watch them... in one piece!"

89,90€ for prime. Time to also cancel this subscription after i've already canceled Netflix and Disney+.

Last edited:
Prime has only been €2.99 in mainland europe for ages and they are doing their first increase to 4.99 next month; 2.99 was pretty much unsustainable for the long term so I expected increases.
I watch prime the most so 4.99 is still pretty much nothing compared to all the other services.

Haemi

Prime has only been €2.99 in mainland europe for ages and they are doing their first increase to 4.99 next month; 2.99 was pretty much unsustainable for the long term so I expected increases.
I watch prime the most so 4.99 is still pretty much nothing compared to all the other services.

Where are your numbers from? Are you a student?

This i s what i see when i go to the prime page in germany:

sIiME50.jpg

Where are your numbers from?
Seems I was wrong, I thought it was for all of europe but the prices vary wildly per country, UK, Ireland and Switzerland are the most expensive by far, and then Germany, and then a whole bunch of other countries; Poland and Hungary seem to be one of the cheapest for only €2.50~

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The fundamental difference between cable and the modern streaming services is convenience. In the past you had no opportunity to rewatch series, you could miss episodes completely, everything was on schedule and so on.

DVR’s been around before all of the cord cutting took off.
I don’t watch much TV, but I do know that there’s been “on demand” since God knows when.
From my personal experience subs are less convenient because I have to jump around between different apps to see what’s on.

If I lived alone I’d probably just have internet and do away with TV entirely. It just doesn’t interest me anymore.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
There's going to come to a point where all these subscription services start losing customers in droves and they will point to the fact that nobody likes their content. They will try to pivot and make various forms of new content that still won't bring their subscription numbers up. Leaving them scratching their heads. Meanwhile, the people they are trying to attract have been enjoying all the content just fine, but they've just been pirating it because the subscription services finally pushed them too far. Because we all know that this isn't going to stay at 2.99. Next year it will be raised to $5 and they will keep going until they find the magical line where the amount that they're charging covers the amount of customers that they've lost because they keep raising the price. And then they will invent some other new service or fee to charge the customers with.

Of course there will be people out there that say just don't pay the fee and watch the ads, but we also know how that road works as well. They will utilize the same tactics used by free to play games in order to coerce people into giving them money. The ads will become longer and longer until the inconvenience is so great that the customer is willing to fork over the money just to be rid of it.

These services continually keep treating their customers like piggy banks that can be broken open anytime they need a quarterly boost for their investors. Eventually they're going to realize that people aren't going to spend all of their money every year just to enjoy a handful of reruns they like to watch.

Last edited:
DVR’s been around before all of the cord cutting took off.
The first DVR prototype appeared in 1999, you know. And it was extremely limited worldwide.

Everything was in an extremely limited capacity, otherwise children would not need to wake up early to watch movies or ask parents (or friends) to record TV episodes 🤷‍♂️

If I lived alone I’d probably just have internet and do away with TV entirely. It just doesn’t interest me anymore.
I don't watch TV myself, but I cannot deny that streaming services are much more convenient.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Piracy is going to be the method a lot of folks with tight budgets will be looking for or just people fed up with the constant fuckery going on by these companies.
-Constant increase in monthly & annual subscription prices and still providing shit content.
-Introducing ads in paid services that were not there prior.

Sonik

Piracy is going to be the method a lot of folks with tight budgets will be looking for or just people fed up with the constant fuckery going on by these companies.
-Constant increase in monthly & annual subscription prices and still providing shit content.
-Introducing ads in paid services that were not there prior.

Then there's people like me who refuse to pay them because of how shit the content has become. Even Reacher that had a good first season now seems to drag on pointlessly in season 2 like it's a fucking 24 episode season. These useless fucks can't even write competently an 8 episode season, it's fucking ridiculous

Well, I guess their subscription numbers have stalled and no their are trying to find way to increase money flow anyway. It was to be expected.

I think it’s kinda funny. I abandoned cable TV cause of the advertisements… We’re going full circle. I’m not vulnerable to advertising AT ALL. This stuff just wastes my time.

tommolb

I'm not sure if its greed, or if the streaming model is unsustainable since Netflix recently raised their prices and introduced adverts also.
It's greed. It's pure bait and switch tactics. These companies are pressured to make bigger and bigger profits year on year, so if they can't get more subscribers, then they have to get more money out of the ones they have (hence why password sharing is being cracked down on and prices are going up).

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The trillion dollar corpo fat cats don’t have enough money apparently.
Line goes up. If it doesn't then we gotta lay off everyone in order to cut costs. But if line goes up we also just lay off everyone anyway so we can keep more money for ourselves.

Eventually something will have to give. The line can't go up forever.

Good reason to cancel. We've not really used our Amazon Prime in any meaningful way over the last few years, at least not enough to justify what we've been paying. Wife just a few weeks ago was talking about canceling it, but I told her I really like the shows and movies....

If they are gonna start advertising to me, while I pay for the shit.... I'll find other outlets. These digital streaming services don't quite get that if they can't be convenient and non-intrusive, I'll just stop paying and use other avenues that are equally as annoying, but at least I'm not paying for it.

KrakenIPA

I used to get the movie Heat on Max, and most Nolan movies. Did this change? Also I can't access Sicario. I need my Sicario.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Where are your numbers from? Are you a student?

This i s what i see when i go to the prime page in germany:

sIiME50.jpg

Wait, WHAT ? It's 49.90 euros here in Italy !

I know that there's differences in regional pricing but still, that's almost double the price dammit !

Last edited:

BlackTron

I gave up on the whole smart tv concept, mine isn’t even connected to the internet anymore god this very reason: I had ads in the UI.

Instead bought an Apple TV for all my smart needs. Bliss.

I still have my old dumb TV and just connect a device. When it finally croaks, will any non-smart TVs even exist? Or at least ones that let me access inputs without Internet and setting up an account?

All I want my display to do is display shit

Top Bottom