• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime video will start showing ads in January…. Unless you pay up (more)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I still have my old dumb TV and just connect a device. When it finally croaks, will any non-smart TVs even exist? Or at least ones that let me access inputs without Internet and setting up an account?

All I want my display to do is display shit

Perhaps at the bottom end of the market.

Haemi

Prime Video in Poland is 49PLN for a YEAR/11.34 Euro so IT IS super cheap compared to Netflix (and others) that is ~60PLN for a MONTH.

Yes Prime is quite cheap compared to the other ones, but there is also almost no original content that is worth watching.

Wait, WHAT ? It's 49.90 euros here in Italy !

I know that there's differences in regional pricing but still, that's almost double the price dammit !

OK, i did not expect the differences to be that high in Europe. Crazy! Does the average Italian citizen only earn half as much as a german and someone from Poland only an eighth?

I hate capitalism. Now that these companies have reached their growth limits, they start to milk their existing customers.

At least I will now save some money. 90€ for Prime, 120€ for Disney+ and 18€ for Netflix. Thats over 400€! (And i left the church… saving over 1k€ in taxes)

Last edited:

Drake

Just cancelled earlier today. I don't even care about the streaming it was the free shipping that was the thing that got me to subscribe, but amazon even told me when I cancelled I only saved like $65 this year. Not worth it at all for me.

bender

What time is it?
Just cancelled earlier today. I don't even care about the streaming it was the free shipping that was the thing that got me to subscribe, but amazon even told me when I cancelled I only saved like $65 this year. Not worth it at all for me.

It's easy enough to shop around the $35 limit for free shipping as long as you don't need things in an instant.

Embearded

They can advertise stuff from Amazon they know you've already searched for.
Parents get ready to explain what a butt plug is to your kids and why their mommy needs one.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just checked Prime Video and looks like I'll have to watch some stuff before the ads come out on the 29th of January.

I noticed they have Dungeons and Dragons. That movie looks so awful but I might as well watch it before then.

Tarnished

I got my first ads yesterday watching Invincible. Honestly it wasn't too bad, about 2 minutes of ads before the show and none during. Obviously not ideal but not the end of the world.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I got my first ads yesterday watching Invincible. Honestly it wasn't too bad, about 2 minutes of ads before the show and none during. Obviously not ideal but not the end of the world.

I have been watching Hercules the legendary journeys, and they put ads throughout the episode.

Kabelly

because i'm on a free trial and they added ads midway through my membership i was okay with it, but if i actually payed for a adless prime experience and they did this retroactively i'd be asking for my money back. i won't be subbing to prime after my trial is done though. Amazon.com cannot be hurting for money.

Lunarorbit

They started showing ads on my prime at the beginning of January. Never had ads before that.

When I saw the news that ads were coming Jan 29th I was confused cause they kept playing the same shitty Discovery show ad over and over weeks before that date. Canceled my prime and haven't looked back

Bojji

70013c71-2f27-4af9-a17d-bbef40a57787_text.gif

They make their services worse and worse unless you pay more. It's like that boiling frog, it will get worse.

Trogdor1123

Tried watching the new episode of Invincible on Amazon Prime with commercials. It was like 5 minutes of show, 3 minutes of commericals, 5 minutes of show, 3 minutes of commercials. FUCK THAT. Prime canceled on the spot.
Actually 3 minutes every 5? Or did it just feel like that?

Valonquar

It was pretty damn close to that. There were at least 5 commercial breaks while watching it. Same fuckin sports gambling ads each time too, and I'm the least likely person to ever be interested in sports, or sports gambling.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
That still feels like a lot for a service that I pay for so that I can pay them more money when I buy stuff from them… and my wife buys a lot
It is not me being complimentary. Amazon is not hurting for money, they do not need the commercials it is just a way for them to increase revenue streams from users. It really smacks of greed, but to their board room it is a way to maximize their share price.

Lunarorbit

Tried watching the new episode of Invincible on Amazon Prime with commercials. It was like 5 minutes of show, 3 minutes of commericals, 5 minutes of show, 3 minutes of commercials. FUCK THAT. Prime canceled on the spot.
It seems like the people who always make these decisions aren't going home and seeing how bad the commercial breaks are. Or they just don't watch Prime at all cause they're swimming in their money vault like Scrooge McDuck

Trogdor1123

It is not me being complimentary. Amazon is not hurting for money, they do not need the commercials it is just a way for them to increase revenue streams from users. It really smacks of greed, but to their board room it is a way to maximize their share price.
Agreed, a lower tier that uses ads, sure but one that they just insert drives me nuts.

Top Bottom