• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon UK sellers hit by nightmare as glitch cuts prices to 1p

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were Christmas shopping bargains galore on Amazon’s website over the weekend … for about an hour. Because of a technical glitch, the prices of thousands of items crashed to 1p – giving eagle-eyed customers a pre-Christmas treat while leaving scores of small family-owned businesses nursing heavy losses, with some warning they could enter the new year facing closure.

From 7-8pm on Friday, software used by third-party sellers to ensure their products are the cheapest on the market went haywire and reduced prices to as little as 1p. “Amazon is all kinds of broken,” one observer tweeted. “Mattress 1p. Headphones 1p. Batteries, clothing, games all 1p. Someone messed up big time.”

Martin Le Corre, who sells toys and games via his MB Housewares store on Amazon, told the Guardian that the glitch in software developed by RepricerExpress could have cost him more than £100,000.

“We got a call from a competitor to say ‘do you realise all your listings at a penny?’ By the end of the hour, we had 1,600 orders,” he said. “People were buying 10, 50, 100 copies of everything. It is £50,000, £60,000, £100,000 of stock; we can’t even work it out.”

Le Corre immediately took his store offline, but more than £30,000 worth of orders had already been marked as dispatched by Amazon, meaning they could not be cancelled and shoppers would be able to keep the goods.

Amazon is working to cancel orders that have not been dispatched, but sellers complained that the cancellations were ruining their seller ratings on the site.

Le Corre, who spent the weekend stock-checking in the company’s warehouse, said one buyer bought 95 board games that should have cost £12.99 each for 99p each.

“I’m kind of wishing I was on the other side of this,” he said.

Stephen Palmer, who sells TVs and mobile phones from his shop, TV Village, in Aberfoyle, Stirling, said he thought someone was playing silly beggars with him when he noticed a flurry of Amazon notification emails stating his stock had been selling for 1p.

“One customer in Kent ordered 59 mobile phones, each for 1p,” he said. “That is stock worth £1,500.” Palmer said the order was marked as dispatched by Amazon’s distribution centre 24 hours after he called the internet company to try to stop his products from being dispatched in 1p orders.

He said Amazon appeared to be having huge problems trying to stop items being dispatched from its warehouses. “You can imagine what it’s like, once the computer has set everything in motion it’s very hard to put a human being into the process and get it stopped.”

Judith Blackford, of the fancy dress company Kiddymania, was also affected. “I have lost about £20,000 overnight. Having asked Amazon to cancel the orders they are still sending them out and charging me horrendous fees. Surely someone has to be accountable for this. I will be bankrupt at this rate by the end of January,” she said.

Blackford, a single mother who set up her dolls and fancy dress shop in the back bedroom of her Leicestershire home 10 years ago, said she noticed the problem when she was flooded with orders on Friday night. “150 orders came in all of a sudden,” she said. By the end of Friday night, her Amazon account showed she had sold 675 items, some of which should have cost £100 each, for 1p each.

“I phoned Amazon but the support line was closed until the morning. There was an emergency email, but they just said they were aware of it and looking into it.

“I’m guessing, but I think it will cost me £15,000-20,000,” she said. “I’m really worried, I haven’t slept or eaten all weekend. We could be facing bankruptcy, I don’t know what to do.”

Meanwhile, buyers were having a field day. Quirky Jezza tweeted: “I’ve just spend 80p on Amazon … for a few thousand pounds value … Loads of things are 1p … Hacked? xD. All of that in the last hour. I’ve ordered about 500 things in total tonight. I would laugh if any of them arrive :eek:”

Sellers rounded on RepricerExpress, whose website boasts that it provides “the ridiculously simple way to increase your Amazon holiday sales”.

Stuart Cameron said on RepricerExpress’s web forum that his entire inventory had been sold for 1p in less than two hours. “Heads are going to roll,” he wrote. “Solicitor first thing Monday morning. This has just cost me thousands and now we have to stock-check my entire warehouse.”

Brendan Doherty, the chief executive of the Derry-based RepricerExpress, apologised to his customers and said everyone at the company was devastated by the mistake.

“I am truly sorry for the distress this has caused our customers. We understand that you are angry and upset and we will endeavour to work to make good on this issue and to work to restore your confidence in our product and service,” he said.

An Amazon spokesman said: “We responded quickly and were able to cancel the vast majority of orders placed on these affected items immediately and no costs or fees will be incurred by sellers for these cancelled orders.

“We are now reviewing the small number of orders that were processed and will be reaching out to any affected sellers directly.”

Neil Saunders, the managing director of Conlumino, a retail research agency, said: “The situation demonstrates the dangers of relying on automated software to determine pricing. Coming at one of the busiest times of the year, it could have a catastrophic impact on the profits of those affected. Confidence in this pricing system will now be severely undermined.”

Link.

If I was an Amazon seller I'd be devastated, I really hope that Amazon assists the sellers money wise.

Is Amazon responsible since the glitch was from a third party software? I guess that's kind of the cost of business when dealing with software to set your prices. Unfortunately, when price glitches like this happen to Walmart and Target, they can eat the cost no problem, but $20,000 for a mom and pop shop is a huge loss.

These people probably use Fulfilled By Amazon (or whatever it's called) aka have sent their inventory to be stored in Amazon warehouses

And multiple buisnesses are using the same software to price items? Are the people behind the program capable of paying back the loss? It seems like they're screwed.

Sending wares to be fulfilled by amazon AND relying on third party software to set prices?
Doesn't sound like a very clever combination.

“I’ve just spend 80p on Amazon … for a few thousand pounds value … Loads of things are 1p … Hacked? xD. All of that in the last hour. I’ve ordered about 500 things in total tonight. I would laugh if any of them arrive :eek:”

I would laugh if they end up charging you full price. :eek:

(which they won't, sigh)

Martian

Damn that sucks for sellers.

Cant really blame the buyers, though. They just saw an advantage, and I cant say that I would have been the bigger person per se.

Amazon (and other e-stores) should have a 1 hour window where stuff like this gets filtered before dispatching

If only people were respectful enough not to abuse mistakes like this. It's really sad how people gang up on these things and get pissed off when orders are cancelled.

Symphonia

Banned
As horrible as this sounds, I'm gutted I missed out. Anyone who says they wouldn't take advantage of a glitch as good as this is lying through the skin of their teeth.

As horrible as this sounds, I'm gutted I missed out. Anyone who says they wouldn't take advantage of a glitch as good as this is lying through the skin of their teeth.
Yeah because everyone likes screwing over hard working folks. I used to want to get lucky like this too, but you're screwing over people who are trying to make a business work and provide for themselves/family.

The Cowboy

Now it makes sense, i was in CEX Saturday afternoon and 2 people together sold in 50 copies of 1 game all sealed - i was confused (whilst eavesdropping) as when asked they did produce the receipt to prove they were all legit purchases.

cwmartin

Gutted? Really?

The goods were never intended to be sold at that price at all. Gutted is when your dog dies.

Ovek

7Member7

You don't do it because your fucking over small business holders not a multinational billion dollar company like Amazon.

Sure if Amazon's own stock got put on of 1p go for it because I can guarantee that not one thing would have left the shipping centre.

Either Amazon (or that other company mentioned) gives them their money back or it should be sued into the ground.

Nope. Not everyone is a pathetic douchbag.

Addnan

If it's tracked shipping which it would be if it got dispatched so quick Amazon surely can just refund the people their 1p and just put a hold on the courier.

Either Amazon gives them their money back or it should be sued into the ground.

They shouldn't be sued at all.

They automatically ship out orders of those buyers when they are bought. The price is the responsibility of the seller, but they have used third party software to do so.

If not the seller, the third party software is responsible.

Jaffaboy

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Pretty messed up situation, Amazon had better sort it out. If they don't I'd want to boycott them but that's basically impossible to do, which is kinda scary when you really think about how powerful they are.

iMax

They shouldn't be sued at all.

They automatically ship out orders of those buyers when they are bought. The price is the responsibility of the seller, but they have used third party software to do so.

If not the seller, the third party software is responsible.

It's a glitch in Amazon's pricing system. Amazon is responsible and should pay up.

iMax

No idea why people are disagreeing with you. I have zero faith that a Gaffer would see a mobile phone on Amazon for £0.01 and go "Oh, that must be a mistake, I'll just leave it alone".

TimmmV

I'd have been all over it if it was a big company. I couldn't care less if Amazon/Tesco/whoever does a misprice and suffers for it, they're wealthy enough to cover the loss, and don't pay tax anyway so screw them. But just some tiny store on the marketplace? Nah, that can really screw them over, for something that isn't directly their fault, especially those bastards who order hundreds of items knowing it'll only cost a few £s

Hopefully the people that make that pricing software reimburse anyone for their losses.

Joni

Amazon had better sort it out. If they don't I'd want to boycott them but that's basically impossible to do, which is kinda scary when you really think about how powerful they are.

It's a glitch in Amazon's pricing system. Amazon is responsible and should pay up.

It is not an Amazon error. It is an error by the third party tool these sellers were using.
It is also an ironic statement on their site: "RepricerExpress is the single biggest difference you can make to your sales in the coming weeks. Sell more and keep your listings competitive 24/7 without constant attention."

Jaffaboy

It is not an Amazon error. It is an error by the third party tool these sellers were using.
It is also an ironic statement on their site: "RepricerExpress is the single biggest difference you can make to your sales in the coming weeks. Sell more and keep your listings competitive 24/7 without constant attention."

Ahh ok, I see. They're still shipping the orders though, right?

No idea why people are disagreeing with you. I have zero faith that a Gaffer would see a mobile phone on Amazon for £0.01 and go "Oh, that must be a mistake, I'll just leave it alone".

Don't project your own weaknesses onto other tbh...

Joni

Ahh ok, I see. They're still shipping the orders though, right?
Amazon shipped out part of the orders they were contracted to ship out. If you let if be fullfilled by Amazon, then they ship it out. The people that had their orders shipped out, are probably Prime costumers who get their orders within the day. They stopped shipping those orders once they found out what happened.

Izuna

Banned

I did... but the I don't regret not buying them.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is really fucked.

Amazon won't be liable, customers won't have to return anything, and that pricing website won't be able to cover the losses of the marketplace sellers.

Somnid

This is like the $100,000 textbooks where two automated pricing tools did battle to be just slightly more than the other to infinity. You really have to be careful with that stuff.

Not Amazon's problem though, they were contracted to ship the items quickly and they did. Sellers can maybe ask people to send it back and the people who bought it might laugh at them but that's really all there is.

Symphonia

Banned
Some people buying 100 copies of something though is just disgusting.
Yeah because everyone likes screwing over hard working folks. I used to want to get lucky like this too, but you're screwing over people who are trying to make a business work and provide for themselves/family.
Gutted? Really?

The goods were never intended to be sold at that price at all. Gutted is when your dog dies.
You don't do it because your fucking over small business holders not a multinational billion dollar company like Amazon.

Sure if Amazon's own stock got put on of 1p go for it because I can guarantee that not one thing would have left the shipping centre.
C'mon dude, really?
I don't think that means what you think it means.

Pretty messed up situation, Amazon had better sort it out. If they don't I'd want to boycott them but that's basically impossible to do, which is kinda scary when you really think about how powerful they are.
It reeks of denial in here.

Denial...and lies.

This man gets it.

Mindwipe

I'm sure a lot of places will sue Repricer, but Repricer is a software house which probably has few assets and will declare itself bankrupt. Then the people who have sued will be lucky to get their legal costs back :-(

Hasney

It sucks, but I have very little sympathy for these companies. If you're running a business, you do not put the pricing in someone elses hands, especially an automated tool.

It sucks, but I have very little sympathy for these companies. If you're running a business, you do not put the pricing in someone elses hands, especially an automated tool.

And if you do use automatic tools, at least set a minum price for expensive items.

slit

It reeks of denial in here.

Denial...and lies.

This man gets it.

Who are you to say people are lying? People you don't even know. I would not do that and there are others that would not either. I know most of humanity is fuled by greed, but that doesn't mean there are some that don't follow that lead.

You can avoid something by the skin of your teeth.
You can lie through your teeth.
You cannot lie through the skin of your teeth.

Symphonia

Banned
Who are you to say people are lying? People you don't even know. I would not do that and there are others that would not either. I know most of humanity is fuled by greed, but that doesn't mean there are some that don't follow that lead.
It's not greed, it's hunan instinct. If there's one thing 2014 has taught me, it's that to survive in this world, you need to do what you can, including making the most of a bad situation. If that means benefitting from someone else's downfall, so be it. In a way, it's survival of the fittest, manipulating the system to your advantage. I stand by my comment - those who are saying they would never do it are just butthurt they missed out.

iMax

Don't project your own weaknesses onto other tbh...

giphy.gif

It's not greed, it's hunan instinct. If there's one thing 2014 has taught me, it's that to survive in this world, you need to do what you can, including making the most of a bad situation. If that means benefitting from someone else's downfall, so be it. In a way, it's survival of the fittest, manipulating the system to your advantage. I stand by my comment - those who are saying they would never do it are just butthurt they missed out.
Except it's not the system that you're manipulating.

I'm sure you would still do it if you had a family member / friend who sold through Amazon right. Or if you were a seller yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom