• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD’s Zen 5 processors will arrive on July 31st.

Draugoth

Gold Member
AMD-RYZEN-9000-HERO-1-2000x1048.jpg

It’s official now, confirmed by several retailers stocking the new Ryzen 9000 CPUs or preparing for preorders and AMD themselves: the official launch date for Zen5-based desktop CPUs is July 31st, the last day of this month, fulfilling their promise.

The launch includes four SKUs: the 16-core Ryzen 9 9950X, 12-core Ryzen 9 9900X, 8-core Ryzen 7 9700X, and 6-core Ryzen 5 9600X. AMD has not yet disclosed pricing information, which is expected to be unveiled next week. This carefully planned approach may be to prevent Intel from gaining an advantage in pricing their Core Ultra 200K series, or to gather feedback from reviewers who are already testing the new series.
There are four CPUs in the new Ryzen 9000 series, which includes the beastly 16-core, 32-thread Ryzen 9 9950X flagship. Pricing still hasn’t been disclosed, but it’s currently expected to align with the Zen 4 series chips.​

performance-9900x.jpg

performance-9700x.jpg

Last edited:

FireFly

The 15th gen Intel CPUs are supposed to come out this year as well, and they're going to be using ~2nm nodes. I want to see how those stack up to the AMD CPUs before I make any decisions.
The 15th gen Intel CPUs are apparently using TSMC 3nm, apart from the i5 processors, which are rumoured to use Intel 20A.

Last edited:

FireFly

As far as we know, only Lunar lake will use TSMCs N3. Arrow Lake should use Intel's own fabs.
Ok, it seems there isn't any confirmation either way about Arrow Lake, apart from the GPU tile.

Still a better node than Zen5, if so.
Yes, like a half-node better. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a clock regression vs. Raptor Lake, given Intel's record when migrating to a new processes and Intel 7 being on its third iteration.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
65W vs 105W, 7700X also 105W
4nm is better than 7nm and 5nm, so yes, I'd expect an improvement in that area. Interested to see actual power numbers, but I would never buy an 8-Core CPU in 2024.

Yes, like a half-node better. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a clock regression vs. Raptor Lake, given Intel's record when migrating to a new processes and Intel 7 being on its third iteration.
And its the first time Intel has had a node advantage against AMD in many years. And Intel didn't even need a better node in 2022 to beat Zen4 in gaming...

If there is a clock regression, I won't experience one since I'm on an i5. Hitting an i5-like 5.1-5.3 should be easy.

Last edited:

FireFly

And its the first time Intel has had a node advantage against AMD in many years. And Intel didn't even need a better node in 2022 to beat Zen4 in gaming...

If there is a clock regression, I won't experience one since I'm on an i5.
My point is that sitting on a given node and refining it, is what allows them to hit crazy clock speeds in the first place. So it's both an advantage and a disadvantage for them, relative to AMD.

Meteor Lake was on a new process and boost clocks dropped from 5.4 GHz to 5.1 GHz with a 45W TDP. They were less competitive in single core workloads due to the process improvement!

MikeM

Gold Member
Anyone know if these claimed benchmarks are using 7600mhz RAM? I saw somewhere that the 9700x is about 12% faster than last gen but i’m wondering if that is mainly due to the RAM speed increase.

SantaC

The 15th gen Intel CPUs are supposed to come out this year as well, and they're going to be using ~2nm nodes. I want to see how those stack up to the AMD CPUs before I make any decisions.
intels in house 2nm? Thats not better then what TSMC offer now

IFireflyl

Gold Member
intels in house 2nm? Thats not better then what TSMC offer now

Do you have a source for this? Their 20A chips are making their debut with Arrow Lake, and I haven't been able to find anything that discusses the performance of their 15th gen CPUs.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Waiting for X3D variants…for gaming only suckers will upgrade now
AMD piss me off with these delaying shenanigans, I get that for first generation products, its understandable that there is no X3D at launch, but why there isn't one now...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Theres no 15th gen Intel Core i.
The Core i's are done.

This year we are expecting the second generation Core U.......for gaming me thinks they take the crown, but they wont have Hyperthreading so the u9 will be a hard sell to people who game and do a bunch of productivity.

proandrad

AMD waiting to drop the X3D chip right after. They have finally learned after years of getting their asses kicked by Intel.

FireFly

Do you have a source for this? Their 20A chips are making their debut with Arrow Lake, and I haven't been able to find anything that discusses the performance of their 15th gen CPUs.
Pat Gelsinger has said they won't have process leadership until 18A.

"Ian: You said you’ve wanted to regain leadership by the end of 2025, is that foundry, is that product, or is that both?

Pat: Both. We believe with 18A [we will have] the best transistors, backside power, and some of the evidence of that was described today by some of the EDA and IP providers. They're getting the best performance, the best area, the best power from 18A - so it’s the best process technology."

TSMC's own internal estimates put 18A at around where their N3P process is.

Last edited:
Those are some modest upgrades aren't they (the scores posted by AMD).

I'm thinking Intel's next gen CPUs will destroy Zen5. I could be wrong though (hopefully I am).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They've been delayed until at least December and by then, the 3D chips will be out.

Arrow Lake is starting to look like it might be make or break for Intel. Not seriously break, but they need it to be extremely good.

I think the best move for Intel would be to offer an 8 and a 6P-core CPU only, that is aimed at gamers. Many people I know say they disabled E-cores completely.

Have that as an option at an attractive price and I think Intel could make some headway, assuming the performance is there to back it up.

Even Leonidas Leonidas would have to agree with that.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ok, it seems there isn't any confirmation either way about Arrow Lake, apart from the GPU tile.

Many insiders have speculated that max clocks will be a bit lower for Arrow Lake. But if the max power draw decreases by quite a bit (and I mean the 700-series CPU is working at less than 100W) then that would be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Intel would then be in a position to get a lot of performance back for the following gen CPUs, if they stay on the same motherboard, which they should.

mitchman

Gold Member
Many insiders have speculated that max clocks will be a bit lower for Arrow Lake. But if the max power draw decreases by quite a bit (and I mean the 700-series CPU is working at less than 100W) then that would be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Intel would then be in a position to get a lot of performance back for the following gen CPUs, if they stay on the same motherboard, which they should.
They also need to not crash. Who in their right mind would buy Intel until this crashing debacle has been resolved?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They also need to not crash. Who in their right mind would buy Intel until this crashing debacle has been resolved?

Do the i5s also crash?
Im thinking of upgrading my 124 to a 136K as their prices seem to be dropping in anticipation of ArrowLake.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yep, their 700 and 900 series i7 and i9 are degrading, crashing and there are issues even with server chips. It’s kind of crazy to even think about Intel’s high end till this is resolved.

For AMD, unless you are looking for a productivity workstation, it’s better to wait until 3D chips later in the year.

kikkis

I am not sure if 10% is good enough value for gaming anymore. On productivity time is money ofc, but for gaming all games run on decent cpu at least 60 fps, so 10% is not really enough to drive 90fps to 120fps for instance.

MikeM

Gold Member
I am not sure if 10% is good enough value for gaming anymore. On productivity time is money ofc, but for gaming all games run on decent cpu at least 60 fps, so 10% is not really enough to drive 90fps to 120fps for instance.
You shouldn’t be upgrading every generation though. I’m on a 7600x and MAY go to the 9800x3d when it goes on sale. I’ve only played one game where my CPU was a problem (Spiderman with RT).

Leonidas

My point is that sitting on a given node and refining it, is what allows them to hit crazy clock speeds in the first place. So it's both an advantage and a disadvantage for them, relative to AMD.

Meteor Lake was on a new process and boost clocks dropped from 5.4 GHz to 5.1 GHz with a 45W TDP. They were less competitive in single core workloads due to the process improvement!
Seems there is a slight regreession in P-Core, but E-Cores are actually getting an increase in clocks, if this is true.

Again, I will see no regression, I have an i5, and I know how to overclock. Your comment about Meteor Lake is irrelevant, we already know Arrow Lake is getting pretty solid IPC boosts, unlike Meteor Lake.

What's wrong with an 8-core CPU in 2024? Especially if you're only gaming?
If you're only gaming it is okay, but as someone who has 14 cores in their rig today, I am not ever going backwards, I do more than just gaming on my PC.

FireFly

Seems there is a slight regreession in P-Core, but E-Cores are actually getting an increase in clocks, if this is true.

Again, I will see no regression, I have an i5, and I know how to overclock. Your comment about Meteor Lake is irrelevant, we already know Arrow Lake is getting pretty solid IPC boosts, unlike Meteor Lake.
The topic was whether finally being on a more advanced process was going to give Intel a huge advantage. I gave Meteor Lake as a counter to the claim that being on a newer process automatically gives Intel a competitive advantage in all aspects. Now you link to a rumour that seems to suggest 5.4 GHz all core clocks for the P Cores, which is below both the maximum for the 14900k and 13900k, as confirmed in TPU's testing. (In any case the 14900K was already at 5.7 GHz for all core clocks, so if 5.7 GHz is the max *boost* frequency for the Ultra 9 285K, we would expect its all core clock to be lower than that of the 14900k).

So we agree?

Last edited:

Leonidas

The topic was whether finally being on a more advanced process was going to give Intel a huge advantage.
It should be obvious to anyone that using a much better node than last time is a huge advantage.

Now you link to a rumour that seems to suggest 5.4 GHz all core clocks for the P Cores, which is below both the maximum for the 14900k and 13900k
Compared to the 13900K, 5.4 would be the same as the 13900K spec, with the max turbo being 100 MHz lower.
Compared to the 13900K, the E-Cores could be getting a 300-400 MHz boost. This goes against your claim of clock regressions.

And even if there is slight regressions for one or the other, its kind of irrelevant since in terms of IPC we could be looking at ~20% for the P-cores and ~40-50% for the E-Cores. Overall performance will be much higher.

So we agree?
That there is a slight P-Core regression? Yes, it seems likely, but the E-Core speeds improved if the leak is true, you seem to be ignoring that).

And the clocks don't fucking matter. Its irrelevant, so I don't see why you brought it up. What matters is the actual performance.

If it turns out that the P-Cores are ~15% better (despite clock regression), E-Cores are ~50% better and power draw is reduced, then that would be a massive improvement in every area. Losing 100-200Mhz on P-Core is meaningless if those things turn out to be true.

Last edited:

FireFly

And the clocks don't fucking matter. Its irrelevant, so I don't see why you brought it up. What matters is the actual performance.

If it turns out that the P-Cores are ~15% better (despite clock regression), E-Cores are ~50% better and power draw is reduced, then that would be a massive improvement in every area. Losing 100-200Mhz on P-Core is meaningless if those things turn out to be true.
Because we're debating whether Intel has a much better chance this time due to finally being on a better process. Assuming no hyperthreading and a 15% P-Core performance improvement, then I would expect that to put us back where Raptor Lake was vs. Zen 4 in games (vs. Zen 5), but with more multithreaded performance. So nothing to suggest they are going to crush the eventual X3D part this time.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Because we're debating whether Intel has a much better chance this time due to finally being on a better process. Assuming no hyperthreading and a 15% P-Core performance improvement, then I would expect that to put us back where Raptor Lake was vs. Zen 4 in games (vs. Zen 5), but with more multithreaded performance. So nothing to suggest they are going to crush the eventual X3D part this time.
And that would lead me to get an i5 yet again, since for ~$350 I will get much more MT and probably better gaming performance than a $350 AMD CPU.

I ignore X3D since I'm not paying $450 for a piddly 8-cores when it launches. Gaming crown means nothing to me if I can get 90% of the gaming performance and 30% more MT while spending less.

FireFly

And that would lead me to get an i5 yet again, since for ~$350 I will get much more MT and probably better gaming performance than a $350 AMD CPU.

I ignore X3D since I'm not paying $450 for a piddly 8-cores when it launches. Gaming crown means nothing to me if I can get 90% of the gaming performance and 30% more MT while spending less.
AMD will price their products in a way that reflects market demand. If they can continue to hold the $450 price because Intel's process advantage does not result in gaming performance leadership, they will do so.

Top Bottom