• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Steel

Banned
Any idea what boards, ram, etc they were using?

Both used Asus x370, both used bios 5704, gamersnexus used 2933 MHZ memory for Ryzen and 3200 MHZ memory for the intel chips, while Computerbase used 3200 MHZ across the board(I think, translation software might be throwing me off). That memory difference could change the result a bit. Only thing that'd explain the fps differences in this case, though, would be that the settings were different.

Hmm, 7700K pulls ahead it seems, by 15-20 fps on average, with Sniper Elite showing something like 250 fps in favor of Intel at one instance, but that was like 250fps vs 500fps.. kind of ridiculous. The regular 1700 looks quite good still, no?

Yeah, that vid does look pretty good for the 1700 considering the 7700k is overclocked over at 5 ghz and the 1700 is just at 1700x speeds.

Paragon

Joker made another vid @720p low this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDjx-tW_WQ

I mean, I would say that using low settings at 720p is perhaps going to extremes since it results in framerates >200 FPS in many of the games tested (720p alone should be suitable to keep most games below 100% utilization on a 1080) but now that he has done this, you can start to see differences between the two CPUs, instead of them both putting out the same results.

divisionh8srb.jpg
sniperelite74sb9.jpg

The Division: 51% higher GPU utilization, 48% higher framerate.
Sniper Elite: 50% higher GPU utilization, 54% higher framerate.

GTA V also showed a big difference in a couple of spots, dropping below 50 FPS on the 1700 while the 7700K test was above 90 FPS, however I'm not sure how 'equal' a test that one is, because the GPU load was also quite a bit higher in the Ryzen clip.

Yeah, that vid does look pretty good for the 1700 considering the 7700k is overclocked over at 5 ghz and the 1700 is just at 1700x speeds.
What is the all-core turbo for those chips? Because it sounded like the 1700 was at 3.9GHz on all cores.
And saying that it was "just using 1700X speeds" doesn't really mean anything if that's simply as fast as the CPU will overclock to.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm a idiot posted my previous posts while tired totally missed the GPU usage in Jokers first video, duh. Good to see he put out 720p tests.

@Paragon

He has the 1700 overclocked to 3.9GHz on all cores.

Overall these processors perform pretty damn amazingly. I hope this pushes Intel to release a more price competitive Skylake X in August. :)

psn

112 vs 84 fps in favor of the 7700k

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

Not sure the test methodology of your link, but i trust gamersnexus a lot. They're not intel biased or anything like that.

Games were developed with intel in mind on PC, and AMD is working with devs to develop for Ryzen too but this wont do anything for games already developed. This is for down the road, now for what's available now.

Ryzen is now slouch, but 7700k is the go to for gamers right now.

Computerbase is more biased towards intel and tend to be very critical when it's AMD but they tested correctly. They were the ones who stopped the hype in the forums, because the expectations were way too high.

Mainboard was the Asus Crosshair VI Hero with the new bios that made it run 10% faster than the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium.

Also, these benchmarks have been made way before ryzen was released:
OHhsC2m.jpg

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-02/cpu-skalierung-kerne-spiele-test/#diagramm-watch-dogs-2-fps

Datschge

As one of the few who actually is on HEDT, I think Ryzen is amazing value for the money. If literally all you do is play games, then I guess you don't need more than 4 cores anyways. I called this months ago, AMD is astoundingly stupid to price it this low and try to compete with mainstream CPUs where single-thread performance is king. They are cutting their own profit margins for no good reason when cash flow is the one thing they need most desperately. Had they priced it like HEDT, people would have looked at it through the HEDT goggles and understood who this is for. But then again if there's one thing AMD is known for, it's being astoundingly stupid with marketing.
I guess AMD wants to push Naples through that angle. With Ryzen 7 they just launched the top end of their consumer products line that encompassed everything lower powered.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
HEDT progress depends on Intel's server line. That advances at it's own rate separately from their mainstream line.

As one of the few who actually is on HEDT, I think Ryzen is amazing value for the money. If literally all you do is play games, then I guess you don't need more than 4 cores anyways. I called this months ago, AMD is astoundingly stupid to price it this low and try to compete with mainstream CPUs where single-thread performance is king. They are cutting their own profit margins for no good reason when cash flow is the one thing they need most desperately. Had they priced it like HEDT, people would have looked at it through the HEDT goggles and understood who this is for. But then again if there's one thing AMD is known for, it's being astoundingly stupid with marketing.

Vega will probably be shit. You heard it here first.

Oh, no. Price is fine. Maybe they should have included some HEDT features like more PCI-E lanes or support for 4 channel memory along with a not much higher price, though.

I guess AMD wants to push Naples through that angle. With Ryzen 7 they just launched the top end of their consumer products line that encompassed everything lower powered.

Isn't Naples competing against Xeon, though?

Engell

I mean, I would say that using low settings at 720p is perhaps going to extremes since it results in framerates >200 FPS in many of the games tested (720p alone should be suitable to keep most games below 100% utilization on a 1080) but now that he has done this, you can start to see differences between the two CPUs, instead of them both putting out the same results.

Hmmm.. this actually neat, it shows that the Ryzen system is bottlenecked somewhere in it's subsystem.. or maybe it is not showing core usage correctly. would be nice if he could try without SMT as Gamers Nexus did see that not all games play nice with AMDs version of hyperthreading.

I'm not the only one that thinks this. Here's the gamernexus editor quote at the end of his review:

"For gaming, it’s a hard pass. We absolutely do not recommend the 1800X for gaming-focused users or builds, given i5-level performance at two times the price. An R7 1700 might make more sense, and we’ll soon be testing that."

Again, from a gaming standpoint, the higher end chips are a failure.

No, no, no. You've cherry-picked the worst Ryzen review I've seen. The consensus is not that the chips are a 'failure'. Get out of here. The overwhelming consensus is these are great alternatives to Intel now. Gaming performance is not the best right now sure.

What's silly about GamersNexus - as if they're all of a sudden an authority in CPU reviews - is he obviously had a little exchange with AMD and felt effronted for some reason by their recommendations or other reasons. He alludes to this twice in the review.

PnCIa

I'm not the only one that thinks this. Here's the gamernexus editor quote at the end of his review:

"For gaming, it’s a hard pass. We absolutely do not recommend the 1800X for gaming-focused users or builds, given i5-level performance at two times the price. An R7 1700 might make more sense, and we’ll soon be testing that."

Again, from a gaming standpoint, the higher end chips are a failure.
Gamernexus huh. Good call. How about picking a site thats seen as reliable when it comes to hardware test? Like Anandtech, computerbase?
Looking at the numbers, and not just reading a synopsis, none of those cpus is a failure. According to your logic, a 6900k is a failure in gaming compared to a 6700k because the later can clock higher. Nobody with a brain would do that though.
Its great, due to clock and optimization (or a lack thereof) it wont perform as good in some cases. Nothing unexpected really.

Weevilone

kotodama

Both used Asus x370, both used bios 5704, gamersnexus used 2933 MHZ memory for Ryzen and 3200 MHZ memory for the intel chips, while Computerbase used 3200 MHZ across the board(I think, translation software might be throwing me off). That memory difference could change the result a bit. Only thing that'd explain the fps differences in this case, though, would be that the settings were different.

Computerbase is more biased towards intel and tend to be very critical when it's AMD but they tested correctly. They were the ones who stopped the hype in the forums, because the expectations were way too high.

Mainboard was the Asus Crosshair VI Hero with the new bios that made it run 10% faster than the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium.

Thanks for the info. Seems with some more baking everything will get better across the board. Mayhaps Ryzen likes faster memory. Joker I think had them both in sync at 3000mhz. It's not fair that GamersNexus had the Ryzen at a lower speed, but at the same time, it couldn't be helped at time of review. Computerbase seems to be doing it right since at least in that one metric they are in sync.

Thanks! And also pass. Still not sure if I should dump the Asus Prime X370 order and do a Gigabyte K5. But thanks for finding that. I have no reason to get the K7.

I think the ASUS board should be fine in the long run, especially after a couple more BIOS updates. Just in the short term I think we're seeing a lot of variance per board as this launch feels rushed.

---

On [H]ardOCP Kyle has mentioned that there isn't much difference from the 1700X and 1800X. After the Joker benchmarks, it seems that the 1700 may be good as well (with a good bin?). That'd be like a $200 savings right there. Something that could be put into a better GPU, cooling or whatever. I'd probably be lazy and not want to manually Overclock it, but the 1700X isn't that much more. Also, supposedly the B-series boards can do XFR and such. So maybe 1700X+B350 really is the best combo for Price/Performance. In that context perhaps the "hard pass" by GamersNexus is right, and the 1700X is the one to get.

ethomaz

Banned
I stopped to read when the start to say both do over 100fps and it is fine to everybody without realize you use the same CPU for years and next year the difference can be one below 30fps and other over 30fps.

All benches shoes the same Intel CPUs having better performance while costing way less.

The opposite is true for production software like encoding where AMD CPU has better performance while costing less.

Ryzen is indeed bad for gaming platform because delivery less costing more like Intel is bad for production plataform delivering less comsting more.

The post is not great... it is just a fan crying over something that won't change using the wrong metrics and arguments.

It's not the first time AMD has dropped like a rock. The charts show considerable support at 13, and we should be okay unless we break down past 12.

Honestly this is just noise, if you didn't get out when it broke $15, you should wait until earnings to bail. Don't panic and buy high, sell low.

I am unsurprised at the number of AMD fanboys declaring the benchmarks invalid because they were tested in low resolutions. The reason for that is because higher resolutions increase the load on the GPU, and anything north of 1080p tends to result in a GPU bottleneck, which is exactly what we don't want when comparing CPU performance in games.

Yaari

I liked that Reddit post because it kinda made me realize that these chips are most likely excellent for what I'm really asking for them. I just hope the support for memory speed will get improved upon. I bought those DDR4 3200 sticks hoping they would work but that was probably not too good of an idea.

One thing that I still don't get is that Ryzen is supposedly better at 1440p and 4k gaming because the GPU becomes the bottleneck, but how does that work exactly. Is there no point where the CPU is the bottleneck once again? I'm just a little confused with how that works.

Steel

Banned
I liked that Reddit post because it kinda made me realize that these chips are most likely excellent for what I'm really asking for them. I just hope the support for memory speed will get improved upon. I bought those DDR4 3200 sticks hoping they would work but that was probably not too good of an idea.

One thing that I still don't get is that Ryzen is supposedly better at 1440p and 4k gaming because the GPU becomes the bottleneck, but how does that work exactly. Is there no point where the CPU is the bottleneck once again? I'm just a little confused with how that works.

Let's put this way: Let's say you get like 200 fps max in a certain game if the CPU is the only thing that's being stressed, but at 4k, the GPU can only run the game at 120 FPS. In this case, the GPU is the one slowing the whole process down and it doesn't matter how good the CPU is past a certain point(Well, it doesn't become completely irrelevant). Even at 1080p/ultra in a lot of games most GPUs will be the bottleneck more than anything; thus why you see 1080s or even titan x's being used in most of the tests, so that the GPU part of the puzzle is taken out of the equation.

That being said, in the future the cpu will become more of a bottleneck as GPUs become better. At the same time, if we get to a point in the future where games are cpu bottlenecked at 30 FPS and there's a 20% difference between a 7700k and a 1700x, that means the difference of... 6 frames. Possibly less considering that games are utilizing more and more cores as time goes on, and there may be windows side improvements to Ryzen by then. I mean, this might mean that you have to turn down draw distance a smidge in a future game to get a stable 30, but it's not that big of a difference. This is why I think a 1600x will probably be a pretty good value for the money for gaming while the 1700s and 1800x are a great value for HEDT.

Irobot82

The Division: 51% higher GPU utilization, 48% higher framerate.
Sniper Elite: 50% higher GPU utilization, 54% higher framerate.

GTA V also showed a big difference in a couple of spots, dropping below 50 FPS on the 1700 while the 7700K test was above 90 FPS, however I'm not sure how 'equal' a test that one is, because the GPU load was also quite a bit higher in the Ryzen clip.

What is the all-core turbo for those chips? Because it sounded like the 1700 was at 3.9GHz on all cores.
And saying that it was "just using 1700X speeds" doesn't really mean anything if that's simply as fast as the CPU will overclock to.

How does this work? How is the Intel chip getting better GPU usage? Is this because the CPU is feeding the GPU some kind of data faster?

Yaari

Let's put this way: Let's say you get like 200 fps max in a certain game if the CPU is the only thing that's being stressed, but at 4k, the GPU can only run the game at 120 FPS. In this case, the GPU is the one slowing the whole process down and it doesn't matter how good the CPU is past a certain point(Well, it doesn't become completely irrelevant). Even at 1080p/ultra in a lot of games most GPUs will be the bottleneck more than anything; thus why you see 1080s or even titan x's being used in most of the tests, so that the GPU part of the puzzle is taken out of the equation.

That being said, in the future the cpu will become more of a bottleneck as GPUs become better. At the same time, if we get to a point in the future where games are cpu bottlenecked at 30 FPS and there's a 20% difference between a 7700k and a 1700x, that means the difference of... 6 frames. Possibly less considering that games are utilizing more and more cores as time goes on, and there may be windows side improvements to Ryzen by then. I mean, this might mean that you have to turn down draw distance a smidge in a future game to get a stable 30, but it's not that big of a difference. This is why I think a 1600x will probably be a pretty good value for the money for gaming while the 1700s and 1800x are a great value for HEDT.

Thanks! That makes sense to me. Good to know.

Edit: Thanks for the reply too, Paragon.

Paragon

It's not that Ryzen performs better at higher resolutions, it's that the gap is narrowed because faster CPUs are more affected by it.

Say we run a test at 720p where the GPU load stays low at all times.
CPU A can run the game at 100 FPS
CPU B can run the game at 130 FPS
This shows us that CPU B is 30% faster than CPU A in this game.

Now we run the test at 1080p, which increases the GPU load.
CPU A still runs the game at 100 FPS, but GPU load is high - though still below 99%.
CPU B now runs the game at 115 FPS because the GPU load is maxed out in the test.
CPU B is still 30% faster than CPU A, but using the results from this test it only appears to be 15% faster.

Run the test at 4K instead of 1080p now, which maxes out the GPU on both systems.
CPU A runs the game at 50 FPS
CPU B also runs the game at 50 FPS
CPU B is still 30% faster, but the GPU bottleneck is preventing you from seeing the difference between them, since it prevents the CPU from being fully utilized.

Now you might say that these results don't matter, because you don't care about gaming at 130 FPS anyway, but most people seem to keep their CPUs for ~5 years now, while upgrading their GPU every 2-3 years. (potentially eliminating GPU bottlenecks if they existed)

In newer or more demanding games, the difference might not be 100 FPS vs 130 FPS, it might be 50 FPS vs 65 FPS instead.
If your goal is to stay above 60 FPS at all times, CPU B is the only one which can achieve that.

Part of the problem is that many sites seem to test the same set of games as each other, and many of them are older games that are less demanding.
I've not seen one site run a test with Dishonored 2 to see how the CPUs compare there.
I really want to know if an i7-7700K, R7-1700, or i7-6900K/i7-6950X can even keep that game above a minimum of 60 FPS at all times.
It can be such a CPU-intensive game that I'm not convinced any of them will be able to achieve that in certain locations.

And that's the other thing. The tests set up in a game matter too.
Some areas of games are considerably more demanding than others.
If everyone just tests the first are of a game, that may not be giving a realistic view of performance.
I've seen tests in games where minimum framerates were a good 30-40% higher than I measured using the same CPU, because they didn't actually play through the game and select the most demanding area from it to test.

How does this work? How is the Intel chip getting better GPU usage? Is this because the CPU is feeding the GPU some kind of data faster?
Bingo. In games, one of the CPU's most important roles is preparing data for the GPU.
If the CPU can't do this fast enough, it limits the GPU performance.
Minimum framerate/percentile tests are where this becomes most noticeable.

~Cross~

No, no, no. You've cherry-picked the worst Ryzen review I've seen. The consensus is not that the chips are a 'failure'. Get out of here. The overwhelming consensus is these are great alternatives to Intel now. Gaming performance is not the best right now sure.

What's silly about GamersNexus - as if they're all of a sudden an authority in CPU reviews - is he obviously had a little exchange with AMD and felt effronted for some reason by their recommendations or other reasons. He alludes to this twice in the review.

Gamernexus huh. Good call. How about picking a site thats seen as reliable when it comes to hardware test? Like Anandtech, computerbase?
Looking at the numbers, and not just reading a synopsis, none of those cpus is a failure. According to your logic, a 6900k is a failure in gaming compared to a 6700k because the later can clock higher. Nobody with a brain would do that though.
Its great, due to clock and optimization (or a lack thereof) it wont perform as good in some cases. Nothing unexpected really.

Jesus christ why is it that some people keep forgetting that I'm always talking about the thing from a gaming standpoint. How many times do I have to say it in each paragraph? Should I say it after each sentence?

Ryzen 7 aren't good if you'll mostly use your PC for games. Why aren't they good? Because you spend more while getting less performance. That is a bad thing. Why would you recommend a product thats more expensive and performs less under these circumstances?

Now if you use your computer for video editing, compiling, or other parallel processing heavy things then sure, R7 is a great deal and the performance is "good enough" for games. But for a dedicated gamer that really doesn't use anything like that? Its a failure. No reason to get it over a 7700k.

I am unsurprised at the number of AMD fanboys declaring the benchmarks invalid because they were tested in low resolutions. The reason for that is because higher resolutions increase the load on the GPU, and anything north of 1080p tends to result in a GPU bottleneck, which is exactly what we don't want when comparing CPU performance in games.

Thanks for that tome of knowledge about how these things work Sherlock, I don't think anyone knew about any of that at all.

Nydus

I'mma be real with you.

Yes, Ryzen is a failure for a pure gaming rig, because the $500 flagship loses to a $350 Intel chip.

That is textbook failure.

Whats with the 1700? It seems to get 3.9ghz on air most of the time and costs about the same as the 7700k.

Renekton

I'mma be real with you.

Yes, Ryzen is a failure for a pure gaming rig, because the $500 flagship loses to a $350 Intel chip.

What about Broadwell-E then? They cost more and lose to 7700K even in some well-threaded titles.

JackDT

It is pretty nuts that it's actually faster than the $1000 8-core Intel Cpus in a lot of things because its clocked higher. That probably should have been their marketing target rather than consumers/gamers. It would be good for streaming but that's not exactly a huge market.

Look at this linux performance:

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-NAMD-Benchmark-800x530.jpg

(molecular modeling)

Those Xeon chips are in the $1000 to $1500 range. Some are dual boards.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Sysbench-Single-Threaded-800x456.jpg

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/

Whats with the 1700? It seems to get 3.9ghz on air most of the time and costs about the same as the 7700k.

I think the 1600X is the real interesting part for price/gaming/core count. It's 6 core and I'd imagine, clock for clock it will perform similarly to the 1800X in most gaming scenarios and should be under $300.

SURGEdude

I'mma be real with you.

I'm not sure who would buy a chip with that many threads purely for gaming. I'll give you that it's hard to call Ryzen a big success based on what we know. But I'm interested in the next round which seem far more appropriate for a gaming rig.

Edit: It was dumb for AMD to hype gaming on these instead of the next batch like the 1600. This kind of chip is targetting things that are massively multithreaded. Gaming is getting there slowly but until then these kind of high thread chips aren't going to win any price/performance ratings for pure gaming. And that's equally true on the Intel side for their higher core chips.

wildfire

Banned
It is pretty nuts that it's actually faster than the $1000 8-core Intel Cpus in a lot of things because its clocked higher. That probably should have been their marketing target rather than consumers/gamers. It would be good for streaming but that's not exactly a huge market.

Look at this linux performance:

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-NAMD-Benchmark-800x530.jpg

(molecular modeling)

Those Xeon chips are in the $1000 to $1500 range. Some are dual boards.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Sysbench-Single-Threaded-800x456.jpg

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/

The 1800x is slower than the 5960x an 8 core Haswell by a large margin after overclocking.

Intel holds a large architectural or optimization advantage for games that AMD will take a long time to overcome.

Look at the Pclab.pl review to see the blowout when overclocks are used instead of stock clocks.

It sucks that Ryzen might be a poor overclocker.

We'll have to see what happens when the lesser core chips come out.

Renekton

Pretty sure that most people buying a Broadwell E aren't putting it in a PC that's meant to be a dedicated gaming machine.
Yeah so maybe can put Ryzen in the same category 😃

I still expect some of the 1080p performance issues to be solved via patches and OS updates. It's a brand new new architecture, give software some time.

Yeah so maybe can put Ryzen in the same category 😃

I still expect some of the 1080p performance issues to be solved via patches and OS updates. It's a brand new new architecture, give software some time.
This is pretty much my stance now. It can achieve a lot more than what day 1 benches shown it becomes obvious once you watch live game benchmarking when the CPU isn't even been fully utilized even at 720p low.

Once OS updates and BIOS updates come it will close that gap a good amount imo. Kaby Lake will be still faster BUT Ryzen will begin to hold it's own fully.

Kambing

Saw the video Joker posted for 720p gaming -- feel like the results are very positive.

All things considered, it seems that the 7700k has a 15-30% performance advantage over the 1700. From a gaming standpoint, today, the 7700k is the better buy dollar for dollar -- undeniable because it performs better. But the video comparison bodes well for the Ryzen architecture. In spite of a 1.1 GHZ deficit in core frequency, in spite of launching the new AM4 platform and in spite of buggy BIOS AMD finally have a CPU that can compete with Intel. I say that for now this is pretty good, especially coming from Bulldozer lol?

It's a pity AMD won't likely in the near future get chips/fabs that can dramatically increase the core frequency of their chips -- let alone compete with Intel fab. The R6 and R5 won't benefit from reduce core count right? I would be interested in seeing the 7700k and R7 go head to head with same core counts (disable 4 on R7) and frequency to offer a glimpse of the architecture vs architecture.

What about Broadwell-E then? They cost more and lose to 7700K even in some well-threaded titles.

Ryzen is extremely viable for the same kind of things that you would use Broadwell-E for, mainly workloads that don't just involve pure gaming. Even for gaming, it's "good enough", but if your goal was, as he said, "pure gaming rig", it would appear that the 7700k would still be the main recommendation.

Calling it a total failure is a little harsh. What he said wasn't untrue in the sense that it did fail to get the performance crown for gaming, but it's definitely not an "overall" failure. It's a positive development for AMD in the CPU space, and a great first step for their future strategy in the CPU space.

Renekton

Yeah I mean it is about as much a pure failure for gaming as Broadwell-E is.

One positive from all the testing is that Kabylake-S is not the Intel apathetic failure that enthusiasts make it out to be. 7700K destroyed everyone.

Yeah I mean it is about as much a pure failure for gaming as Broadwell-E is.

One positive from all the testing is that Kabylake-S is not the Intel apathetic failure that enthusiasts make it out to be. 7700K destroyed everyone.
Nobody ever said it was a failure. It was just a boring release that didn't do much outside of getting a couple more frames in games over a overclocked Skylake chip.

ethomaz

Banned
It's not out yet. It's coming in Q2.
That is my point.

The overhype is already moving to the next launch :D

BTW anybody expecting R5 to do better in games than R7 is being a bit optimistic because it is the exactly same chip with 2 cores disabled.

Top Bottom