• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American sitcoms/comedies... Advise me, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenebrous

So I've seen a couple of threads asking for advice regarding British sitcoms, so I thought I'd make one for the reverse. I've tried a lot of American sitcoms over the years, as nowadays it's hard to change the channel without one coming on, but sadly, they're mostly unfunny to me. Hopefully this thread will fix that.

My favourite two comedians of all time (George Carlin & Eddie Murphy) are both American, as are some of my favourite comedies of all time (Curb, Seinfeld, Fresh Prince, South Park, [early] Simpsons, & My Name Is Earl). I still enjoy a bit of Friends, and some American kids cartoons are great lighthearted entertainment (I can still watch Dexters Lab & Hey Arnold). Fraiser is... Tolerable. Not great, but watchable. Recently been getting back into Malcolm In The Middle due to a post I found on here, and I'm finding it entertaining enough.

Sadly, almost all the above are either out of production or not worth bothering with (sorry, Simpsons).

I can't stand the following...
Inside Amy Schumer
Two and a Half Men
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
Family Guy/American Dad
The Office (both versions)
Scrubs
Bobs Burgers
The Middle

Other things I don't like...
Louis CK (I know, I feel like I should like him)
Anything related to Monty Python (I know)

My favourite comedy of all time (either side of the Atlantic) is probably BBC's "Monkey Dust." It's impossible to sum up in a video, but this will have to do. If America has anything as offensively satirical as Monkey Dust, then by all means send it my way! More MD clips...

Off-topic searched Sitcom, but found nothing relevant from 2013 onwards, so I thought I'd make a post specific to my tastes. Suggestions welcome!

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Other things I don't like...
Louis CK (I know, I feel like I should like him)
Anything related to Monty Python (I know)

wtf%20(2).gif

My favorite comedian is George Carlin, high five.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I was raiding on WoW back in about 2007, and before the raid, I'd mentioned my dislike of Monty Python in one of our guilds forum threads. Most of the raid took the piss outta me on TS that night, haha.

I understand it's not for everybody, but that shit is hilarious..

anigif_enhanced-27202-1416958785-5.gif

Futurama
Arrested Development
Flight of the Conchords
Curb your Enthusiasm
South Park
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Nathan for You

Tenebrous

Futurama
Arrested Development
Flight of the Conchords
Curb your Enthusiasm
South Park
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Nathan for You

Meh.
Oh I have seen it. Didn't like it.
Haven't seen.
Love it.
Love it (although S19 is shit so far).
Haven't seen.
Haven't seen.

Damn, I've got some searching to do... Cheers.

I guess. I'm not that into American sitcoms, except for a few exceptions: Fresh Prince, Simpsons, South Park, and Futurama.

Seems we like similar things from the USA.

Frasier is the best American sitcom of all time

"Fraiser is... Tolerable. Not great, but watchable." I don't love it, honestly.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
A light chuckle the first time at most, and that goes for pretty much anything and everything John Cleese is involved in.

I guess. I'm not that into American sitcoms, except for a few: Fresh Prince, Simpsons, South Park, and Futurama.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Party Down (my favorite sitcom of the past decade)
Bored to Death (first two seasons only)

Window

The Larry Sanders Show. From the shows you've listed it's probably most similar to The Office or even Curb to give you an idea.

Tenebrous

collige

Banned
Meh.
Oh I have seen it. Didn't like it.
Haven't seen.
Love it.
Love it (although S19 is shit so far).
Haven't seen.
Haven't seen.

Damn, I've got some searching to do... Cheers.
Always Sunny is right up your alley. It plays out like Seinfeld with more despicable, selfish people.

You should enjoy raising hope since it made by the same people who made my name is Earl . Also maybe try unbreakable kimmy schmidt and 30 rock.

Monty Python has never been funny.

In fact, almost all British humor outside of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz isn't funny.

I know Brits love to pat themselves on the back about their humor. You're not as funny as you think you are. Sorry.

EDIT: The Ricky Gervais Podcast is also hilarious

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

In fact, almost all British humor outside of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz isn't funny.

I know Brits love to pat themselves on the back about their humor. You're not as funny as you think you are. Sorry.

lol

Arrested Development (one of the best)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (like Seinfeld but with rude, mean, and selfish people)
American Dad (so much better than Family Guy it's not even funny but the show is)
30 Rock (brilliant and smart humor)

If you don't like any of those there is no helping you.

Kjellson

I recommend 3rd Rock from the Sun. Unfortunately a bit forgotten in a sea of 90's sitcoms, but it's actually one of my favorite shows.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Your dislike of scrubs saddens me

Also watch community and archer, both on netflix.

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

Blackadder would like a word ( except the first season which is horrendously bad )

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I recommend 3rd Rock from the Sun. Unfortunately a bit forgotten in a sea of 90's sitcoms, but it's actually one of my favorite shows.
Yeah as far as standard 90s-style sitcoms go 3rs Rock (not to be confused with 30 Rock) was an absolute gem. Still one of my favorites.

Thewonandonly

I'm going to say sunny in Philly Also because that show is so god damn funny. I have seen every episode about 5 times and they make me laugh each time. Sunny is my most favorite sitcom ever and I think it's the funniest one ever.

Tenebrous

Yeah Always Sunny seems like something I'll definitely enjoy watching a few seasons of. Can someone confirm that it's on Netflix UK for me please? If so, I'll resub now.

nitewulf

American sitcoms are by nature very safe (actually anything on network channels), so you won't find anything offensively hilarious like British comedies.

Having said that,

Brooklyn 99 is a recent favorite which does away with the typical sitcom BS, the characters are oddly likable, the chicks are hot, and i find Andy funny as hell.

notworksafe

I know you said no Louis CK but you should really check out Lucky Louie. It's a really hilarious take on American sitcoms that I much prefer to his new show. It was an HBO show so it's only on HBO Go now.

Make sure to give always sunny a few episodes if you don't feel it straight away, a few of my friends didn't click with it instantly but absolutely love it now.
I think it's the funniest show on just now.

I'll also mention:

You're the worst
Review with Forrest MacNeil

since I don't think anyone else has yet and they're both excellent.

Yeah Always Sunny seems like something I'll definitely enjoy watching a few seasons of. Can someone confirm that it's on Netflix UK for me please? If so, I'll resub now.

I can confirm that all series are on UK Netflix. Just been watching some... it's incredibly rewatchable!

Tenebrous

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll be starting with It's Always Sunny, and then I'll revisit this thread and go from there.

I can confirm that all series are on UK Netflix. Just been watching some... it's incredibly rewatchable!

Awesome - Thanks!

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12646-1425957444-5.gif

I also like Grace and Frankie, although I may be in the minority on that.

Can't believe no one mentioned "The Golden Girls," but.....

giphy.gif

I also love "Designing Women" and "Grace Under Fire."

I quite enjoy Maron and Comedy Bang Bang if you're into something a little more offbeat, I'd check those out. Also, watch the entirety of Larry Sanders Show. It is probably the most influential comedy since Lucy. Everything from Seinfeld to Curb to the Office to Louie or any other sitcom without a laugh track/live audience have borrowed heavily from that show over the last couple decades.

StayDead

The fact you've just said all British Comedy is bad, then claimed Ricky Gervais is great in a single post when he's the least funny comedian we have says more than a thousand words could ever say.

The fact you've just said all British Comedy is bad, then claimed Ricky Gervais is great in a single post when he's the least funny comedian we have says more than a thousand words could ever say.
I said his podcast is great. It's not great because of him, either.

Karl Pilkington is a comedy genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom