• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American sitcoms/comedies... Advise me, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Entourage is pretty decent but isn't a true sit-com, although the sit-coms I would have recommended have already been mentioned/you've watched.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Three older sitcoms to watch.

Roseanne - While it took a massive dive in the later seasons, the first five seasons are incredible, with some of the smartest writing any sitcom has ever seen.

Married with Children - Amazingly funny, and rarely missed. While it lost some of it's step in later seasons, it never took a massive dive.

King of the Hill - One of the best animated sitcoms ever, beaten only by seasons 1-8 of the Simpsons. Unlike the Simpsons, King of the Hill remained very consistent in it's quality from beginning to end.

The people recommending It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia are right, but they're underselling it a bit. It's not Seinfeld but with selfish, rude people. Seinfeld has selfish, rude people. The cast of Sunny are more than that. They're not rude and selfish, they're sociopaths. There's an episode about hunting people and eating human meat, for god sakes.

Three's Company - Guy has to pretend he is gay to live with two chicks.

Giligans's Island - Crazy characters try to get off an island.

I Dream of Jeanne - Astronaut lands on an island and discovers a hot chick in a bottle that does magic.

Bewitched - Hot witch chick marries non witch. Does magic by twitching nose. Husband mysteriously changes faces after season 3.

What's Happening - Boring crap but that Rerun guy with a beret does a kick ass dance.

Mr. Ed - Dude this fucking horse talks and plays baseball.

https://youtu.be/AVm-HwAkVp8

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Modern Family
Happy Endings (dont get too attached)
Parks And Recreation (first season is a bit like the office but it changes into its own thing after)
Veep
Archer
Bobs Burgers (I didn't enjoy the first season but I'm on the second now and its hilarious)
Golden Girls is the GOAT

This thread has got me to check out Always Sunny though

Get Smart.

also:
MASH
Family Ties
Seinfeld
Newsradio
Soap
Veep
Silicon Valley
Community
30 Rock
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Wet Hot American Summer: The First Day
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

acrid

Banned
If you have thick skin, "All in the family" is my all time favorite show. I love Archie Bunker. The Jeffersons was also really good. I wouldn't consider it so much a comedy, but Good Times is also fantastic.

When I was younger I always dismissed American sitcoms. Boy, how stupid I was. Although in my defence I was only privy to Friends and crappy kids shows like Fresh Prince and City Guys.

Some of my favourite comedy shows are American.

Arrested Development
Seinfeld
Cheers
Frasier
Archer
30 Rock
Parks and Rec
It's Always Sunny
The Mary Tyler Moore Show (really)
The first couple of series of Modern Family are excellent. Took quite a nose dive in quality after and I eventually gave up on it.
Louie
The Life and Times of Tim
Flight of the Conchords
Veep

I'm sure there are loads more that I can't recall right now.

The people recommending It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia are right, but they're underselling it a bit. It's not Seinfeld but with selfish, rude people. Seinfeld has selfish, rude people. The cast of Sunny are more than that. They're not rude and selfish, they're sociopaths. There's an episode about hunting people and eating human meat, for god sakes.

Yup. The people in Sunny are genuine sociopaths and it's awesome. Best show on TV. Crazy it's going on to season 11 and is still so consistently hilarious. Season 10 had some of my favourite episodes.
Watch Sunny, OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom