• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm wondering about a Sounders game, does the upper bowl ever get added for a match if everything else is sold out?

Was thinking about attending the Whitecaps match in August if I can make other vacation stuff happen around then, but the lower seating is basically sold out.

Usually they end up opening it up for some select games, and usually a home game against Vancouver is one of them. Do we only host them once this year or twice? If it's just once, you can almost guarantee it'll be open.

Chris R

Usually they end up opening it up for some select games, and usually a home game against Vancouver is one of them. Do we only host them once this year or twice? If it's just once, you can almost guarantee it'll be open.

Got it, and I think it should open with basically every seat except for one or two here and there (and most of the upper part of the north end) sold out.

I'll hold off on buying a ticket for now then.

Mully

So I'm wondering about a Sounders game, does the upper bowl ever get added for a match if everything else is sold out?

Was thinking about attending the Whitecaps match in August if I can make other vacation stuff happen around then, but the lower seating is basically sold out.

You might be able to get a decently priced seat a few weeks beforehand on Stubhub.

xbhaskarx

Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 12 minutes ago

Hearing from a source who'd know that Fox Sports 1 will carry the Minnesota United-MLS press conference live at 12 pm ET/11 am CT tomorrow.

Man what a disaster. He was the coolest story in the league for the last few weeks :/ really rough for MTL in CCL too...

Yeah it really puts a damper on the season for those of us who were going to follow him.

How much can the field turf be blamed or is it impossible to gauge? Would there have been no injury or been less severe on grass?

Meier

A real shame. They're always super optimistic when you hear about ACL tears in European soccer. Almost without fail that is how they refer to it and somehow the guys often come back around then. This is more in line with traditional recovery period in sports here in America, but hopefully he can be better in 9 rather than 12 for his sake.

- Awful Announcing: The Howler Saga Illustrates How MLS Needs to Develop a Thicker Skin

“Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel” may have disputed origins and be technologically unfit for our current media world, but it’s a good piece of advice for sports leagues and figures nonetheless. We’ve seen time after time how silly fights with the media have gone poorly for college coaches and programs, but other leagues appear to have not gotten the memo.

The latest offender is Major League Soccer (which has had issues on this front before, especially with forcing MLSsoccer.com Colorado Rapids beat writer Chris Bianchi out) and Sporting Kansas City in particular. Sporting KC wrote a nasty response last month to The Howler over Robert Andrew Powell‘s excellent feature on Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure and his attempt to bring MLS to Miami in conjunction with David Beckham, which included banning them from covering future games. That got more attention in the last few days thanks to Longform.org republishing the story and Fox Soccer’s Alexi Lalas asking MLS commissioner Don Garber about certain elements of it, particularly Claure calling MLS’s ownership and salary structure “communist” (in a good way!) Lalas also reached out to Sporting KC, who appear to have changed their stance once the big guns came around.
Much more via the link.

- Galarcep on Goal.com: Ten key questions the upcoming U.S. friendlies should answer

mgJMXzK.png

Projected lineup looks close to what I was guessing, though I had Morales for Williams and Yedlin for Chandler. Otherwise it was the same.

US - Denmark coverage starts at 3pm ET on ESPN2 and Unimas. WatchESPN will provide streaming, too.

Oh man. TFC are really going to miss Bradley and Altidore for the game on Saturday. I really wish the league would schedule this stuff so that it didn't overlap. (I'm sure people have said that a million times already but still...)

Speaking of which...

- ESPNFC: Why does MLS continue to struggle with international dates?
This balancing act will continue as long as MLS continues to play through the majority of windows set aside by FIFA for international matches. Which is to say, indefinitely.

Because although Klinsmann openly contends that ignoring these dates reduces development opportunities for MLS players, the league remains adamant that it won't be in a position to veer from the status quo anytime soon.

"It is an insurmountable issue. It's a square peg in a round hole," MLS commissioner Don Garber said last December during his annual State of the League address.

The question is: Why?

"In building our schedule every year, we deal with a number of unique constraints," MLS vice president for competition Todd Durbin told ESPNFC.com in a phone interview last week. "Our teams travel across a continent through multiple time zones. Weather limits our footprint, and our teams are competing in multiple competitions. That said, the single biggest priority for us is to put together a schedule that ensures that we're able to put the best product on the field."

Whether they're successful in doing so is questionable. It's hard to argue, for instance, that Toronto FC will field its best team on Sunday against Real Salt Lake when two of its three high-earning designated players, U.S. headliners Altidore and Bradley, are an ocean away. Same goes for expansion club Orlando City, which will be without seven players including Shea and U.S. youth international Conor Donovan in Montreal on Saturday.

Eliminating these conflicts isn't as easy as it seems.

Meier

They really need to do something about it realistically. More mid week games if need be, whatever, but they've got to find a way to get the international breaks on the calendar. It's just unfair to everyone involved.

Speaking of which...

I think at least part of the issue is that this is largely unique to MLS compared to other professional leagues in the US. American fans aren't accustomed to their favorite sports teams in the NFL or NBA losing players to more prestigious overseas/international tournaments. The NFL season and playoffs is the be-all and end-all. The NBA Finals wrap up mid-June, so even the Olympics every four years don't affect it. I think the NHL might be interrupted by the Olympics...not really sure.

But the bottom line is this is contrary to how we're programmed to see our domestic professional leagues. Even stuff like the Lamar Hunt Open Trophy or CONCACAF Champion's League might throw the more casual fan off, particularly when winning the latter is more important than winning the MLS Cup. Try telling an NBA fan that the US winning the FIBA Basketball World Cup is more important than an NBA title and they'll laugh at you.

Maybe I'm not giving the average US soccer fan enough credit, I don't know. I grew up in Argentina and still love it when River Plate wins in the Primera, but I'd take a Libertadores or Sudamericana victory over that any day.

xbhaskarx

Major League Soccer awards expansion team to Minnesota that will begin play in 2018

Major League Soccer announced on Wednesday that Minnesota has been awarded an expansion team that will begin play in 2018. The new club will be owned by a Minnesota ownership group led by Dr. Bill McGuire, and the team will play in a new soccer-specific stadium in downtown Minneapolis.

“We are proud to welcome Minnesota to Major League Soccer,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a league statement. “The ownership group’s commitment to soccer and the community, the area’s growing millennial population and the region’s rich tradition of supporting soccer at all levels in Minnesota were key indicators that this was the right market. The passionate soccer fans in Minnesota will soon have a world-class, downtown soccer stadium that will serve as the home for the new MLS team and become a destination for marquee international sports events.”

McGuire, owner of Minnesota United FC of the North American Soccer League, will be joined in the ownership group by a group of investors that is still being finalized but that wil linclude Robert Pohlad, Jim Pohlad, Wendy Carlson Nelson and Glen Taylor. McGuire, a physician, philanthropist and former CEO of UnitedHealth Group, has been actively involved in the Minnesota soccer community since purchasing the Minnesota Stars (now United) in November 2012.

Expansion Timeline: Minnesota becomes MLS' 23rd team

EXPAN_MAP.gif

alstein

Always wondered why MLS didn't set up shop in North Carolina. Lots of college soccer tradition there, good population, and good demographic area.

Excited about the Minnesota news but no firm stadium plan keeps me from being head over heels. I know how contentious the Vikings stadium funding became and no one here who isn't a soccer fan gets why they just can't play soccer where the Vikings play.

USSoccer said:
#USMNT Starters for #USAvDEN: Rimando; Chandler, Orozco, Brooks, Garza; Zardes, Bedoya, Bradley (c), Johnson; Altidore, Johannsson

Rimando
Chandler - Orozco - Brooks - Garza
Zardes - Bedoya - Bradley - Johnson
Altidore - Johannsson

Nesotenso

Yes, multiple competitions is unique to mls.

Wut?

Unlike uefa and cemembol there's not a secondary continental tournament. The fa cup essentially doesn't exist, and there's no state tournament structure.

Ridiculous excuse.

while saying "multiple competitions" is a stupid excuse, the equivalent of the FA cup would be the US open cup. The primary reason for missing international dates (at least certain ones) is because the league runs from March to October for most teams. Maybe in the future once it becomes less important (or maybe lucrative?) the league can abandon the all star game and just schedule league games.
Rimando
Chandler - Orozco - Brooks - Garza
Zardes - Bedoya - Bradley - Johnson
Altidore - Johannsson

like this a lot

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann has no problem moving players into totally ridiculous positions that don't fit their style and where they have zero experience... except when it comes to center backs. You're either a left CB or a right CB. Can't have Brooks and Ream play together because they're both left guys, so instead of Ream we get Orozco... He'd probably move Ream to target forward or winger before he'd consider putting him in the other center back spot.

Osorio

God that sounds great, don't get my hopes up like this...

Haha I'm sure it hasn't slipped his mind, but don't get your hopes up at all. From what I saw on Sunday people seemed to double up on their Red Bull pride. However, the economic truth remains. Tickets for NYCFC are selling faster and for more money than at RBA, and they have a larger stadium. I'm certain a part of that is due to the fact that people can wear their team's shirt without embarrassment. They can say they like their soccer team without having to explain that it is a soccer team.

While I'm sure there are people who don't mind the Red Bull name, would they really mind if the crest wasn't emblazoned with a corporate logo? If so, what is wrong with them?

Osorio

There was sarcasm there?

Whoops, read that wrong. Either way he's saying the Open Cup is not taken seriously by most clubs in comparison to the FA Cup. Fans of teams like Seattle will disagree because they do take it seriously, but for fans of Metro that's the sad fucking truth.

Meier

Huh, the only Soccer game showing up on WatchESPN for me is Germany v Australia.. anyone else having this issue?

Looks like the TWC app plays Unimas even off my home wifi so that can work but still, odd.

Whoops, read that wrong. Either way he's saying the Open Cup is not taken seriously by most clubs in comparison to the FA Cup. Fans of teams like Seattle will disagree because they do take it seriously, but for fans of Metro that's the sad fucking truth.

In that case, nobody in the EPL takes the FA Cup seriously, either. They are putting second and third stringers on the pitch for those matches, which is why you see shocking "upsets." That changes somewhat as you reach the semis, but let's be real here. No team that's within striking distance of the top four is putting a lot of emphasis on the FA Cup. Priority is firmly on qualifying for Champion's League first, the EPL title second, and FA Cup a very distant third.

There just happens to be an embarrassment of riches at the top of the EPL table and the second and third stringers are still world class, unlike what we see in the MLS.

Meier

It's listed for me, but doesn't start for another few minutes.

Maybe it will show up in the future, I dunno. Usually it'd be on the splash part at the top but nothing. Tried on my PC and on my phone -- very odd! I have to have it muted anyway so UniMas is fine in my case at least.

Edit: Sure enough, it's now showing up! Strange that Germany/Australia was showing already despite the 3:25/2:25 start time.

Meier

I guess this is a case where "coverage" starts at 2:00 Central? When is kick-off? They're all out there kicking the ball around and warming up still so is it like 20 mins away?

Looks like refs and players are in the tunnel so actually maybe we're about 5 mins away. Perhaps those were subs out on the pitch kicking it around.

I guess this is a case where "coverage" starts at 2:00 Central? When is kick-off? They're all out there kicking the ball around and warming up still so is it like 20 mins away?
Probably at least 10 min out. The timeslot runs until 15 mins past the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom