• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Azuran

Banned
It would be great to defeat Seattle to win the cup at home :3

They were the complete opposite from us when it came to expansion side success.

Askani

ESPN.com said:
New York Cosmos and NASL working to survive as league meetings open

The future of the North American Soccer League appeared to be in peril on Tuesday, as club owners and potential investors met for crisis talks in Atlanta.

The NASL, which operates as a second-tier league under MLS, ended the 2016 campaign with 12 teams, but recently saw the Ottawa Fury and the Tampa Bay Rowdies leave for the third-tier USL, while Minnesota United is set to join MLS next season. Numerous reports have said the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and Rayo OKC are in financial trouble.

But the biggest blow of all could come from the league's marquee franchise, the New York Cosmos. A report early on Monday stated that the Cosmos would be shut down. This comes on the heels of an Empire of Soccer report that the Cosmos had furloughed much of its front office staff.

However, a club source denied that the Cosmos had ceased operations.

"We're in league meetings over the next couple of days," said the source. "Based on the outcome of those meetings, then we'll make a decision on the club's future."

Another club employee added, "We're working, but there's no point in selling tickets when there's no games scheduled. There's a lot that's up in the air."

Much more at link: http://www.espnfc.com/new-york-cosm...th-working-to-survive-as-league-meetings-open

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Rumor is they're in the same sort of situation mid-table and below Spanish clubs were in a few years ago: people aren't getting paid on time. Apparently they've insulated the players from this as best they could until the last month or so, but it's finally broken through. Their entire business model was unsustainable, and is a good example of why MLS remains the way it is right now. They spent way more than they took in. They'll either have to restructure in USL or just plain die off--again.

imBask

Banned
sup TFC

giphy.gif

Rumor is they're in the same sort of situation mid-table and below Spanish clubs were in a few years ago: people aren't getting paid on time. Apparently they've insulated the players from this as best they could until the last month or so, but it's finally broken through. Their entire business model was unsustainable, and is a good example of why MLS remains the way it is right now. They spent way more than they took in. They'll either have to restructure in USL or just plain die off--again.

Yeah it's too bad the NASL is going to die (again). I think they should have embraced their 2nd division status instead of trying to take on the MLS. I was surprised to read that the Cosmo attendance was around 3-4k per game. There are some NPSL teams that have higher attendance than that and most USL teams equal that or greater.

I think the MLS has outgrown their training wheels, but the single-entity structure of the MLS was definitely crucial in their survival in the early years. If we ever have promotion/relegation, then I think it would have to be under a unifying organization otherwise the lower division leagues will just keep crumbling every few years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah it's too bad the NASL is going to die (again). I think they should have embraced their 2nd division status instead of trying to take on the MLS. I was surprised to read that the Cosmo attendance was around 3-4k per game. There are some NPSL teams that have higher attendance than that and most USL teams equal that or greater.

I think the MLS has outgrown their training wheels, but the single-entity structure of the MLS was definitely crucial in their survival in the early years. If we ever have promotion/relegation, then I think it would have to be under a unifying organization otherwise the lower division leagues will just keep crumbling every few years.

If I can be completely honest I never really understood why people want or even like pro/rel. I want plenty of European soccer and outside of the dream of a nothing team coming good and winning it all (which never happens), I just don't get it. The bottom table teams are never really playing attractive soccer and if it's just about wanting more exciting and competitive matches doesn't a play-off race already do that?

I'm not a big fan of them scheduling this match so much later than the Seattle-Colorado semi-final.

- MLS Analyst takes a crack at guessing the USMNT January camp roster

A few articles about Arena's round table interview yesterday:
- NY Times: Bruce Arena Outlines a New Vision for the U.S. Team
- AP: Arena expresses urgency, aims to settle midfield in taking over USMNT

Rough highlights:
Arena thinks Bradley is a 6, but wishes the team had a natural #10
He thinks Jermaine Jones "still has something to offer."
Says that the biggest weakness he'd like to shore up is finding a better passer in midfield.
Says he expects Feilhaber will get called into camp in January.

Meier

I'd love it if they merged USL and NASL and come up with a pro/rel system between the two. Would be pretty fucking cool.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd love it if they merged USL and NASL and come up with a pro/rel system between the two. Would be pretty fucking cool.

Honestly, so long as the MLS teams have affiliates in the USL I don't think we can see pro/rel. I mean, look at the results from this last season: NYRBII won the whole thing. Next season we'd have two NYRB teams in MLS if there was pro/rel. As it is we have issues with the Open Cup and that shit.

That said, there's no reason it couldn't happen between USL and NASL. Given NASL doesn't fold entirely.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
C'mon man, let go of the hatred and embrace Cascadia Superiority two years in a row. I rooted for you guys in the finals last year.

Go Montreal!

hey guyse i'm suddenly a Sounders fan for no reason. what do i need to do? Is this like the Hasselback seahawks superbowl run? do i need a flag for my car?

Meier

Honestly, so long as the MLS teams have affiliates in the USL I don't think we can see pro/rel. I mean, look at the results from this last season: NYRBII won the whole thing. Next season we'd have two NYRB teams in MLS if there was pro/rel. As it is we have issues with the Open Cup and that shit.

That said, there's no reason it couldn't happen between USL and NASL. Given NASL doesn't fold entirely.

Most leagues with B teams just prohibit the B team from going above a certain level. It's generally the second tier but it could be the third tier. The team who finishes the next highest gets the promotion in their place if they finish in that position -- they can be relegated as usual though (aka how Bayern II fell to the 4th tier). Porto B actually won the title for Portugal's 2nd tier last season.

Dartastic

Omg you guys, Merritt Paulson just teased the new Timbers 2017 home kit and I'm in LOVE. It totally reminds me of our gorgeous 3rd kit. I'm in. I'm getting one. Fuck, that's nice. <3

Cyify4BUQAAA915.jpg

Heading to the TFC match now! Sell out with 36,000 tickets sold (they added extra seating so capacity is larger than usual). Gonna be loud and crazy! I just hope the team can pull off a win for us!

Dartastic

Heading to the TFC match now! Sell out with 36,000 tickets sold (they added extra seating so capacity is larger than usual). Gonna be loud and crazy! I just hope the team can pull off a win for us!
Me too! I hope I get to see Will Johnson score for you guys in the final against Seattle to grab a TFC cup.

kIdMuScLe

I'm not a big fan of them scheduling this match so much later than the Seattle-Colorado semi-final.

- MLS Analyst takes a crack at guessing the USMNT January camp roster

A few articles about Arena's round table interview yesterday:
- NY Times: Bruce Arena Outlines a New Vision for the U.S. Team
- AP: Arena expresses urgency, aims to settle midfield in taking over USMNT

Rough highlights:
Arena thinks Bradley is a 6, but wishes the team had a natural #10
He thinks Jermaine Jones "still has something to offer."
Says that the biggest weakness he'd like to shore up is finding a better passer in midfield.
Says he expects Feilhaber will get called into camp in January.

So pretty much play the players in their natural position? And fill in the gaps with the right players and formation? I thought jurgy was doing it right :-( /s

Mully

The USL is a Catch 22 for MLS teams. Their academy players play at a higher level than college, PDL, or any other league, but placing academy teams in the USL stops the American system from having a respectable pro/rel system.

The only solution is for the MLS or the USSF to mandate that all teams must have an academy team (along with their first team) that plays in a separate league independent of the pro/rel system. The only problem with that is it will take years for certain MLS teams to develop the quality infrastructure to the level that Dallas, and RBNY have now. RBNY and Dallas academy players would suffer as the league adjusts.

Top Bottom