• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Gold Cup final will be at Levi's in Santa Clara.

Really gross if Deadspin's information is completely accurate. I can't see MLS wanting to pursue with them if that is the case. They know already that you can't sustain a team without a core group of supporters. The way they've approached things since Philly seems to indicate as much to me, anyway.
It's been hard to get information on what's going on, and none of the major hubs has done a story on this yet. Overall, it sounds pretty shady.

Better article from Jeff Carlisle at ESPN:

- Sacramento Republic, once a slam dunk for MLS expansion, now in danger
As it turns out, it's much more complicated than that. The issue is that there are two distinct business entities involved. The first is the club, Sacramento Republic FC. Contrary to published reports, multiple sources stated that while Nagle is a "large investor" in SRFC, he doesn't have a controlling interest. The controlling interest lies with team president and founder Warren Smith.

The other entity is the aforementioned Sac Soccer & Entertainment Holdings. It is this entity that Nagle controls, and according to the sources, this is also the entity into which Whitman, San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York and the Sacramento Kings have invested. Perhaps more importantly, the plan for a stadium -- already approved by the city of Sacramento -- and the corporate support that has been directed toward that effort are tied up with SS&EH.

Throughout Sacramento's expansion effort, the two sides have projected a united front, including the effort to finalize a stadium plan. It was done with the understanding that Nagle would handle the MLS bid, while Smith would focus on running SRFC. Essentially, what is happening now is that for months, the two entities have been engaged in talks to merge, and they are haggling over the price.

The hope had been that a deal would be completed prior to the Jan. 31 filing deadline for MLS expansion candidates. One wasn't, so it was SS&EH representative Kunal Merchant who presented the bid book to MLS executive vice president Mark Abbott, and there was no mention of Sacramento Republic FC. A source close to Nagle added that SRFC didn't give permission to SS&EH to use their name or logo in the bid book. But with the deadline looming, the bid had to be submitted, so it was done without any reference to SRFC.
More via the link.

NWSL and A+E reach broadcasting deal.

TV broadcasts will be on Lifetime as a 'Game of the Week' type situation.
Not a bad deal, it'll be good for them to have a dedicated broadcast setup. And that's a fine place for a target demo.
Geeeeez, we'll see how long it takes them to click. Scary.

Just notified that my MLS Live is about to auto-pay on Feb 15th. It's $80 this year. Not sure if I'm going to keep it, though I did watch a lot more games on laptop/mobile than on tv.

Just notified that my MLS Live is about to auto-pay on Feb 15th. It's $80 this year. Not sure if I'm going to keep it, though I did watch a lot more games on laptop/mobile than on tv.
I'm in, especially considering away weekends are spent watching almost every match. Chromecast support is top notch.

Dartastic

PSST GUYS YOU CAN MAKE YOUR FANTASY TEAM NOW WOOOOOO

...cap space was hard in this one.

xMaCXlL.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm going to track my team closer this year, I didn't pay enough attention in the first month and a half and it cost me a top half finish.

Dartastic

I'm going to track my team closer this year, I didn't pay enough attention in the first month and a half and it cost me a top half finish.
I feel like maybe the salary restrictions are tighter this year? I dunno. Frankly, it's really hard to start off the season. It feels like the people who dial it in immediately are the ones who consistently do the best and leave the rest of the pack in the dust.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like maybe the salary restrictions are tighter this year? I dunno. Frankly, it's really hard to start off the season. It feels like the people who dial it in immediately are the ones who consistently do the best and leave the rest of the pack in the dust.

I dunno, I just know I fell about a month behind and never really caught up. I made a few bad assumptions about who would break out last year, instead I'm using my final roster as a template for this one.

Robles too.

Thanks for posting the lineup. :p

#USMNT: Robles; Zusi, Zimmerman, Birnbaum, Villafana; McCarty; Pontius, Feilhaber, Lletget; Morris, Agudelo.

Mory Dunz

Not a fan of this camera work at all.

Yeah, started off wonky.

I went to high school in this town. This stadium is where the big high schools play their rivalry games sometimes.

Anyway, can we please make easy passes? Just, ground pass, good first touch, and pass. That's it. We should be at that level at least.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nah. Disagree. Villafana is linking up really well with him. Dax is looking alright as well, and Benny has had his moments.

Pontius though has looked quite bad.

I'd say Lletget and Morris have the best chance to break through to the starting 11 from this batch (along with Nagbe). I think Bradley and Sacha have outperformed Dax and Benny in these friendlies so far and I say that as someone who loves Dax.

Dartastic

I'd say Lletget and Morris have the best chance to break through to the starting 11 from this batch (along with Nagbe). I think Bradley and Sacha have outperformed Dax and Benny in these friendlies so far and I say that as someone who loves Dax.
Not disagreeing with you. I really do think Villafana has a shot too. He's been good.

The only reason why Nagbe isn't on the pitch right now imo is because he obviously proved himself last week. Hah.

Mory Dunz

Nah. Disagree. Villafana is linking up really well with him. Dax is looking alright as well, and Benny has had his moments.

Pontius though has looked quite bad.

I guess Villafana belongs only because his competition at LB is nothing right now. He's been better than others, but he's still missed some easy 1-2s, as have everyone.

Disagree about the others though. We should be running this team. Only Lletget looks that.

Morris is garbage. If he doesn't get a real first touch soon, I don't even know. He'll be good in MLS, but his skillset is too limited atm.

Mory Dunz

Nagbe better come on and really put himself above his opponents.

Too often we see people with 1 good game, 1 bad, etc

Establish himself in the starting lineup

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The new US jersey isn't bad at all. Still like the red and white stripes one best though, why did we not just stick with it again?

zroid

Banned
Wow 3 TFC games will be shown on CTV this season. That's pretty nice.

CTV is like the equivalent of ABC or something

Seven total MLS games, all involving the Canadian teams

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I've seen some ads for the preseason game between NYRB and NYCFC from NYCFC lately. Who the hell hypes up a preseason game? Especially when their opponents are prepping for a Champion's League match.

Top Bottom