• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Meier

ManU just isn't a huge draw after their last season I guess.

Well, they're playing City in 4 days in Houston as well as other big games vs major opponents. For general fans, City are playing Madrid in LA next week and I'm sure there is another marquee game or two.. it's just not a super enticing game. I did read on Twitter or reddit that most of the fans at this friendly were United fans though.

Icolin

Banned
The full MLS All Star Game roster has been revealed:

Goalkeepers: Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Hernán Grana (FC Dallas), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Johan Kappelhof (Chicago Fire), Michael Parkhurst (Atlanta United FC), Jelle Van Damme (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Miguel Almirón (Atlanta United FC), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Giovani dos Santos (LA Galaxy), Kaká (Orlando City SC), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Ignacio Piatti (Montreal Impact), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Chicago Fire), Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City), Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC), Nemanja Nikolić (Chicago Fire), David Villa (New York City FC)

No Opara, Vazquez, Melia, Accam, Meram, or Alessandrini.

RBH

Atlanta United put up a billboard in Orlando:

96R0QxH.jpg

DFDWK4QXgAUwIy-.jpg:small

Cystm

What Ike thinks about the All Star picks:

What SKC thinks about the All Star picks:

Your average shmoe doesn't think about stats, they just find a recognizable name, assume they are a qualified candidate and you get Graham Zusi voted in year after year.

ZZMitch

Goals Against Average

Goalie statistics are very difficult to use effectively. There aren't really any established metrics that can differentiate ability that well unless it's in broad strokes.

Yeah stats like GAA doesn't really indicate a strong goalkeeper as much as a strong defense overall.

Need some stat like "good (non routine) saves per 90" haha

zroid

Banned
I've never paid much attention to stats in soccer. Is there a goalkeeper's version of expected goals? like expected save percentage?

zroid

Banned
we really don't look great. NYC is letting us off the hook with some shoddy finishing. missing Bradley, altidore and morrow

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sacha gotta watch his positioning, could have had two there.

We look really good here so far though. It's like a different team, Davis is definitely helping this. Still want to see Veron worked into this though.

Yeah, fuck this, I'm out. We're missing most of our team, so enjoy this in your shitty excuse for a soccer stadium, New York.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a good result, but I don't want to watch this bullshit.

Icolin

Banned
Just caught up on the Chapman offside thing. What a joke.

And Yankee Stadium is, along with Gilette and RFK, embarrassing to say the least. We should be past these sorts of things in 2017.

EDIT: Also, why does TFC play Ben Spencer ahead of Jordan Hamilton? Maybe it's my Canadian bias, but Spencer has never impressed me in his limited minutes, whereas Hamilton has capitalized on the limited chances he gets for TFC, and was always a standout for TFC2, Canada U20s and U23s.

Just caught up on the Chapman offside thing. What a joke.

And Yankee Stadium is, along with Gilette and RFK, embarrassing to say the least. We should be past these sorts of things in 2017.

EDIT: Also, why does TFC play Ben Spencer ahead of Jordan Hamilton? Maybe it's my Canadian bias, but Spencer has never impressed me in his limited minutes, whereas Hamilton has capitalized on the limited chances he gets for TFC, and was always a standout for TFC2, Canada U20s and U23s.

Vanney likes Spencer for some reason, he hasn't impressed me yet.

Icolin

Banned
Vanney likes Spencer for some reason, he hasn't impressed me yet.

I mean, the guy's 6'5" but he struggles to head the ball. Like, how?

Vanney's usually good at finding these diamonds in the rough within MLS or through the draft; just look at Delgado, Hagglund, Moor, Bono, and Zavaleta. But I feel like he's got this one wrong, based on Spencer's performances thus far.

The worst thing about that offside call against Toronto was how late it was. Seemed more like a reaction to something than a decision based on the play

Dartastic

Post if you are okay.

Edit: The post game interview with porter is going to be the hottest of fire.

Fake edit 2 Oh shit Plata scored as I was typing this. 4 - 0.
I mean I'm as okay as I could be. I left early actually. I've never done that before. Once I saw the second red I knew it was over. Wanna know an interesting stat? Can't vouch for this 100%, but I asked on twitter the amount of games our first eleven has started this year. Two. TWO. FUCK.

Icolin

Banned
I mean I'm as okay as I could be. I left early actually. I've never done that before. Once I saw the second red I knew it was over. Wanna know an interesting stat? Can't vouch for this 100%, but I asked on twitter the amount of games our first eleven has started this year. Two. TWO. FUCK.

This bodes well for us, as our next game is against Portland!

Dartastic

This bodes well for us, as our next game is against Portland!
I mean, fuck. The reds really put us in the worst spot. Our team is literally in shambles. Reds. International absences. We didn't even have a full 18. I think we had 16? With two reds, if people still aren't healthy what do we do?!? Serious question.

Top Bottom