• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs |OT| - This Little Piggy Cried AAHHH All the Way to Hell

Persona7

Banned
The soundtrack is sounding really good from those sample tracks.

Anybody know the file size for this game? never mind, it says 4.9GB on GOG.

I'm still curious to see how this will compare to Outlast.

I still think this will be the better and scarier of the two.

There is definetly a different feel for both in both the atmosphere they present, and the gameplay moments. Will most likely depend on what you like more then the other. I'm enjoying them both equally for what they bring to the table as a long time horror fan.

Animator

I'm still curious to see how this will compare to Outlast.

I still think this will be the better and scarier of the two.

Outlast really isn't scary once you realize it is pretty much a push the buttons while avoiding the bad AI stealth game. It builds zero athmosphere and is pretty much jump scare after jump scare which you come to expect and ignore after the first two.

It is not a bad game but it is hardly the "scariest game ever!" that the reviews made it sound like. I found amnesia much more scary because it lets tension build and doesn't throw enemies at you like you are in a Call of Duty level like Outlast does.

Going to stock up on Depends before Tuesday comes. "A Machine for Pigs" has to be my favorite game title ever. The name alone evokes fear. There can be nothing good about a machine for pigs.

Don't want to derail the thread, but what's wrong about walking? It could be really entertaining, even more if it takes place on a beautiful desolated island.

Just walking around and looking at stuff in hollow, uninteractive videogame environments doesn't make for a very interesting game. I get much more out of a short walk outside.

Hofmann

Just walking around and looking at stuff in hollow, uninteractive videogame environments doesn't make for a very interesting game. I get much more out of a short walk outside.

Now I'm really jealous you're able to have a walk through some breathtaking environments, hearing voices in your head like in Dear Esther, every day.

Are racing and sport games, for example, equally pointless?

sam27368

Banned

Never understood this mentality, all games have this functionality. FPS - you're doing the same thing instead your only interaction with the world is to shoot stuff to shit. What's wrong with exploring the world instead? It's far more exciting exploring somewhere new than blowing shit up imho.

Games like these can craft horror through atmosphere and tension, but jump scares are affective and while they might be deemed cheap, when combined with games that feature the right atmosphere, ambience, and style, it's totally alright. When a game just ONLY relies on jump scares and doesn't have the backings of anything else... is when I take issue.

sam27368

Banned
I've heard it strikes a good balance. I wasn't so keen on outlast, very cliche and the setting was pretty uninspired

Hawk SE

Going to stock up on Depends before Tuesday comes. "A Machine for Pigs" has to be my favorite game title ever. The name alone evokes fear. There can be nothing good about a machine for pigs.

It's not meaningless or just something clever, in the final 1/3 it is revealed what it means. This games seriously gets unhinged.

I read somewhere that the ending is supposed to be epic, keen to see if it lives upto that hype

I'm looking forward to seeing what they did, the (Amnesia DD spoilers)
torture chambers
in the first game were horrifying. Suppose that's more the lead up to the ending but I'm interested to see how they match that.

Not sure how much I'm looking forward to playing this though, Outlast made me realize last night that these first person horror games really do make me nervous physically while playing. That's compared to something like Siren or Silent Hill which are terrifying games in their own right but the third person perspective makes you feel more as an observer than the sense of immersion you get when playing from a first person perspective and all the things that go along with that(breathing, motion blur, etc) It'd been so long but I remember now I didn't finish Amnesia until I had a cousin visiting :D Might wait until I have a new mic to stream with before I go through the new game.

Outlast really isn't scary once you realize it is pretty much a push the buttons while avoiding the bad AI stealth game. It builds zero athmosphere and is pretty much jump scare after jump scare which you come to expect and ignore after the first two.

It is not a bad game but it is hardly the "scariest game ever!" that the reviews made it sound like. I found amnesia much more scary because it lets tension build and doesn't throw enemies at you like you are in a Call of Duty level like Outlast does.

And deepening on how you play it you could avoid seeing any creature, heightening the tension to self-induced panic. Though maybe there were encounters, it's been a while?

All my point is is Outlast deteriorates by the end cause you've seen so many enemies, scripted events and jump scares. I'm way more psyched to see what Agustin Cordes does with the Asylum setting.

About to click on pre-ordering this. I know the reviewers can't break embargo, but the general gist of this is good right? And there's controller support?

About to click on pre-ordering this. I know the reviewers can't break embargo, but the general gist of this is good right? And there's controller support?

There is controller support! Beat the entire game using a controller from my bed. I don't know how much I can say about how I felt about it. You'll know Monday for sure. :)

Its strange reading all this "Cant say how it was."

A "It was good" or a "It was awesome" should help the game... and still some people are not allowed to say anything at all.

Its strange reading all this "Cant say how it was."

A "It was good" or a "It was awesome" should help the game... and still some people are not allowed to say anything at all.

It just embargo man, that's the way it works. You want to watch the opening 30 minutes, there are plenty of videos out there. That should give you a good idea of what to expect from reviews.

I'm newish to reviewing, so I'm just being extra careful given the embargo, that's all.

Its okay. Do not get yourself in trouble.

It just embargo man, that's the way it works. You want to watch the opening 30 minutes, there are plenty of videos out there. That should give you a good idea of what to expect from reviews.

Yeah i know this whole embargo stuff. But its the first time that i read a Thread were more than one person says that he cant say anything about how it was. I know it will be a great game thats why i working my way towards more Card money.

Yeah i know this whole embargo stuff. But its the first time that i read a Thread were more than one person says that he cant say anything about how it was. I know it will be a great game thats why i working my way towards more Card money.

I can say I think people will get the scares they are looking for. While fear and horror is very subjective. I think people will prefer this more to the first, and vice versa. :D Vague yes... but there ya go!

Amnesia is more of a psychological horror while Outlast seems like a tense, in-your-face-jump-scare horror.

THat is my impression, as well.

Which is pretty much why I feel Amnesia will be the better title.

I greatly prefer atmosphere and and tension buildiing to jump scares.

Really looking forward to playing this on the first night in my new apartment, where I'll be living without roommates for the first time...

Also this threads title is outstanding. Excellent work.

Top Bottom