• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs |OT| - This Little Piggy Cried AAHHH All the Way to Hell

Taruranto

Completely forgot it was coming out. I guess between this and Outcast it will be a good week for us horror fans.

I hope the game is less forgivable this time.

DrTeflon

Just a quick heads up for those interested on playing Amnesia.

For some unknown reason, it is possible for people to upload public screenshots now. I dont know if it was intentional, hence Steam Community hub became a spoiler-land.

avoid at all costs

It seems some people can't understand the meaning of "embargo"

Just a quick heads up for those interested on playing Amnesia.

For some unknown reason, it is possible for people to upload public screenshots now. I dont know if it was intentional, hence Steam Community hub became a spoiler-land.

avoid at all costs

It seems some people can't understand the meaning of "embargo"

Thanks for the warning! Would think reviewers would at least consider to remember to use the spoiler tag function given for some reason they're allowed to upload screenshots before release but oh well.

Does this game support 2880x1800 resolution?
Why wouldn't it? 90% of games allow you to use a custom resolution. Although I suppose if it's 16:10 it's very likely you'll have black bars.

Cudder

Thanks for the warning! Would think reviewers would at least consider to remember to use the spoiler tag function given for some reason they're allowed to upload screenshots before release but oh well.

Why wouldn't it? 90% of games allow you to use a custom resolution. Although I suppose if it's 16:10 it's very likely you'll have black bars.

I just loaded up Dark Descent and it was all out of wack at 2880x1800. Loaded up fine at 1440x900, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Suggestions?

DrTeflon

Actually, the screenshots are from six or seven guys only

Most games don't allow it. IE: Ducktales, SR IV didnt. Dont know what happened, already passed on the info so something can be done about it.

Also, we are only allowed to show the first 30 minutes, iirc. So there was a warning beforehand, its not that they dont know.

Like I said before, this will be our first video review (we started as a podcast and we're expanding into doing YouTube/Twitch material now). I think an interesting approach to this review, that I've always wanted from other reviews, would be to answer questions in the review that you guys may have, so feel free to ask away and/or PM me, and as long as it does not spoil too much, I'll do my best to address it in the review itself. We'll be recording tomorrow and releasing it when the embargo lifts. :)

Gonna preorder tommorrow. Just gonna need a few more cents from cards.

So damn hyped for this one after hearing the music.

What we need after this is a Cthulhu game from Frictional Games.

Taruranto

Death had no consequences in Amnesia, you just respawed with all your items and progresses intact. By the time I died for the 13th time, monsters became just a slightly annoyance, more than anything. Heck, in some segment dying helped you because you would re-appear near the exit of the stage.

Penumbra did it right.

Pigs and weirder was probably the wrong word. I can't say too much without maybe breaking the embargo. I think it's probably fine to say that I finished it in 4 hours. A tleast tha tis what steam says.

4 hours?? uh oh

Then again this was supposed to be a much smaller game than The Dark Descent and they delayed it to make it longer cos of fan reactions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
~4 hours for a first-time run is rather short, but I didn't buy the game to play it, so on a personal note, the length doesn't bother me.

Cudder

Already pre ordered this, but going back to replay the original Amnesia because I never completed it. Just got to the dungeon, how far into the game is that? Hoping I can complete it before Tuesday.

I need to play the first one still. I just reinstalled it and was ready to go, but then I realized there's no controller support =( Apparently Machine for Pigs has full support though so that's nice.

Should I just suck it up and drag my wireless kb/m over to my TV and play Amnesia that way, or would the original game work ok through a mapper like Pinnacle/Xpadder? (and this should go without saying, but please keep you anti-controller comments to yourselves-it should be obvious that I prefer a controller if I'm asking such questions)

sam27368

Banned
I need to play the first one still. I just reinstalled it and was ready to go, but then I realized there's no controller support =( Apparently Machine for Pigs has full support though so that's nice.

Should I just suck it up and drag my wireless kb/m over to my TV and play Amnesia that way, or would the original game work ok through a mapper like Pinnacle/Xpadder? (and this should go without saying, but please keep you anti-controller comments to yourselves-it should be obvious that I prefer a controller if I'm asking such questions)

I did TDD with xpadder and it worked great

I'd say go for keyboard and mouse. The control scheme is more designed around that setup and it makes the game less frustrating to play. I mean controller is fine but when you are running from something trying to close doors behind you it can get a bit clunky where as a mouse and keyboard is a bit more intuitive.

If you feel like that's not an issue then go for gamepad. Do whatever makes you most comfortable

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Outlast really isn't scary once you realize it is pretty much a push the buttons while avoiding the bad AI stealth game. It builds zero athmosphere and is pretty much jump scare after jump scare which you come to expect and ignore after the first two.

It is not a bad game but it is hardly the "scariest game ever!" that the reviews made it sound like. I found amnesia much more scary because it lets tension build and doesn't throw enemies at you like you are in a Call of Duty level like Outlast does.
Yeah, Outlast really isn't a good horror or stealth game. It wants to be both but the stealth is broken and everything relies entirely on scripted sequences. There's nothing procedural about the game and it kind of falls apart once you learn how it works.

void666

Banned
I'm worried about machine being too similar to dark descent. You walk through a mansion (instead of a castle) exploring rooms, solving some puzzles then an ugly comes screaming after you. You hide in the shadows, he goes away, repeat.

I beat dark descent yesterday. I had a good time with it. But it gold old after a few hours.
The monsters were scary at first. But once i got used to them i was more annoyed than scared about them. Just wanted to explore and they kept showing up.

So i hope they managed to keep things fresh from start to finish this time.

sam27368

Banned
I'm worried about machine being too similar to dark descent. You walk through a mansion (instead of a castle) exploring rooms, solving some puzzles then an ugly comes screaming after you. You hide in the shadows, he goes away, repeat.

I beat dark descent yesterday. I had a good time with it. But it gold old after a few hours.
The monsters were scary at first. But once i got used to them i was more annoyed than scared about them. Just wanted to explore and they kept showing up.

So i hope they managed to keep things fresh from start to finish this time.
The environments look really varied fwiw

I'd say go for keyboard and mouse. The control scheme is more designed around that setup and it makes the game less frustrating to play. I mean controller is fine but when you are running from something trying to close doors behind you it can get a bit clunky where as a mouse and keyboard is a bit more intuitive.

If you feel like that's not an issue then go for gamepad. Do whatever makes you most comfortable

Yeah that's what I was wondering about. It has a lot of click and drag movements doesn't it? That probably wouldn't be too great on a gamepad.

jerry113

Banned
I've never been so hyped to buy a game that I probably won't play for a long time.

I get chills thinking about Oculus Rift + Amnesia. Will something like that be possible in the future?

edit: the soundtrack sounds so much more memorable than the original game's OST already.

Frologic

Listened to a podcast with the composer and it's funny how she describes the music on this game as horrible compared to her work on Dear Esther. I don't think she actually means it's bad but it's a nice way to describe the contrast.

Kept putting off playing the original Amnesia, and now the time has come to play it before MfP comes out. Wish me luck.
I'm scurred

jerry113

Banned
Listened to a podcast with the composer and it's funny how she describes the music on this game as horrible compared to her work on Dear Esther. I don't think she actually means it's bad but it's a nice way to describe the contrast.

Do you have link/name of podcast? I'd like to listen.

That's understandable given that scoring a much more gameplay-heavy game like Amnesia is probably avery different experience than compared to something like dear esther.

Horrible in terms of quality or horrible in terms of tone and the feelings it works to present compared to Dear Esther?

Frologic

Do you have link/name of podcast? I'd like to listen.

That's understandable given that scoring a much more gameplay-heavy game like Amnesia is probably avery different experience than compared to something like dear esther.

Horrible in terms of quality or horrible in terms of tone and the feelings it works to present compared to Dear Esther?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/top-score-with-emily-reese/id434473316

Number 36. Starts at minute 23 but I suggest everyone listen to it all. It's horrible in a "Wonderfully scary way" she clarifies, I should have mentioned that part.

Only four hours is completely... ideal for me. I get bored of this style of game really fast when you have to find 5 fuses for the tenth time.

Think I'll preorder after passing on outlast.

Top Bottom