• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer is dealing with 2 controversies from 2 opposing sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If two opposing groups of assholes hate her she must be doing the exact right thing.

When I think back to what I've seen of her comedy it rings true, too. The idea that she's a manhater has never even crossed my mind, and I'd actually say some of her apparent outlook is even kind of masculine. At the same time, she's definitely not someone saying that women should be taking undue shit for the crime of having a vagina in a male dominated world.

blakep267

I'm not taking sides but that one woman Liz Arcuri was sounding kinda out there. Saying Amy has failed women. Like come on that's a little far

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not a big fan of Schumer, but her and, really, all other comedians (and any public figure), should just stay off of social media. Twitter, Facebook and Reddit are just cesspools of human filth and continually making this world a much worse place to live in.

(actresses, like actors, are contractually obligated to use social media to promote their stuff -- it's a line item in most public-facing role contracts now!)

kpaadet

(actresses, like actors, are contractually obligated to use social media to promote their stuff -- it's a line item in most public-facing role contracts now!)
Well they could just get the movie studio/their agency to make a dummy twitter account for them right? There are ways to stay off social media if they wanted to, though its sad it has to be like that.

I'm not taking sides but that one woman Liz Arcuri was sounding kinda out there. Saying Amy has failed women. Like come on that's a little far

As I've noticed online, people so frequently take extreme positions on issues and start branding you with labels with absolutely no room for discussion unless you completely agree with their point.

necrosis

no but really, it's not like an employer is under any obligation to fire someone for saying something shitty. i mean fuck, the police regularly murder minorities and keep their jobs. what's wrong with suggesting that someone should be fired?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well they could just get the movie studio/their agency to make a dummy twitter account for them right? There are ways to stay off social media if they wanted to, though its sad it has to be like that.

They are often contractually obligated to personally write tweets; to write a certain, high number of tweets; to post photos of appearances and organic photos. Some are required to obtain certain aggregate social media reach. I'm sure they could negotiate something that protects them, but that's that much negotiating leverage they need to give up on other issues.

necrosis

They are often contractually obligated to personally write tweets; to write a certain, high number of tweets; to post photos of appearances and organic photos. Some are required to obtain certain aggregate social media reach. I'm sure they could negotiate something that protects them, but that's that much negotiating leverage they need to give up on other issues.

why dont they have someone remove their skin and wear it while writing tweets & taking pictures

Opto

Banned
He isn't?
Screen_Shot_2016-08-16_at_4.30.53_PM.png

Goddamn this dude

Brakke

Banned
He isn't?

[...]

These images are from 2013, by the by, in an article all about Metzger's conduct online.

It's kind of slimy with that one image, showing the "Likes". Liking something doesn't necessarily signal support (especially now Facebook even has a variety of faces -- including Sad, Angry, "Wow", and even laughter could be at the absurdity rather than mirth. Plus, Liking a post has functional implications, like subscribing you to notifications, so maybe someone Liked with a "Wow" face just to follow along a thing they thought was ugly but worth keeping an eye on.

If we're going to hold people to account let's at least make sure we understand what our "evidence" actually means.

Platy

I don't understand mixing the atacks on her and the atacks on metzer.

It is not like she supported him or anything

9LevNZy.png

https://twitter.com/amyschumer/status/765970023710154753

She did get some tweets about doing some action but it is not like she can do anything

e1D1UzG.png

https://twitter.com/amyschumer/status/765995533181804544

How this has anything to do with a mob of anrgy people boycoting her book for being hers ?

So basicaly MRA hates AMy Schumer and "SJW" hates an asshole that is somehow related to her but not really =P

ZeroX03

Banned

Not to mention the difficulty in building a career in entertainment - especially in comedy - without a social presence is much harder. Unless you're very principled and willing to forego opportunities it's essentially a necessity.

9LevNZy.png

She did get some tweets about doing some action but it is not like she can do anything

e1D1UzG.png

How this has anything to do with a mob of anrgy people boycoting her book for being hers ?

So basicaly MRA hates AMy Schumer and "SJW" hates an asshole that is somehow related to her but not really =P

IIRC some women were reported that they were getting blocked by her, whenever they asked her about it on twitter. Which made it seem like she was covering for him.

9LevNZy.png

e1D1UzG.png

Damn, reading those comments. They are out for blood.

Hycran

Banned
If it wasn't for being mildly controversial, Amy Schumer would have been completely irrelevant a long time ago. She is the Lady Gaga of comedians: completely devoid of any substance and yet people latch onto her as if she is the next big thing.

Bread

Banned
If it wasn't for being mildly controversial, Amy Schumer would have been completely irrelevant a long time ago. She is the Lady Gaga of comedians: completely devoid of any substance and yet people latch onto her as if she is the next big thing.
Her show is hilarious though

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Amy Schumer is actually really funny. I hope she continues to make these insecure man babies cry for faux outrage about shit. I just extrapolate this perpetuating shit narratives into other areas, like politics, and then go "oh okay" and move on.

A generation raised on the concept of like/dislike as an expression of taste and commentary is already taking a toll. But ya know, anonymity and the internet.

Imagine a FOIA type request by HR from companies that just want to take a glimpse into the online persona of those they may potentially hire. That'll give em something to really cry about.

Sounds like the reports all went through the proper channels and not social media. So this whole thing is a fucking beatup. Wonderful.

"Although no charges had been filed and UCB hadn’t released a statement, word quickly spread through the tight-knit comedy community via social media, text messages, and private Facebook groups."

It's quoted in his post. Did you even read it?

Then a woman reported him through a news organization anonymously. That's not an appropriate avenue, it's exploiting the fact that a news organization will post anything from any unnamed source as long as they get to press first. If you think this is 'appropriate', then I suppose a bunch of man children posting fake amazon reviews to discredit someone they hate is also OK.

Guy's an inflammatory piece of shit and admitted to beating his girlfriend. Still has something to say. His initial comparison of online groups to religious zealots? It's apt for many of examples from either of those generalized groups.

The point of having a judicial system is so to protect our right to remain innocent regardless of what anyone has to say about us. It's embarrassing because it's public record and doesn't always work. It's still better to rely on that than allow people who are innocent(READ: This guy is still actually innocent because there is no lawful evidence of his guilt. Rumors are not evidence) to be destroyed by their communities.

It just so happens that modern communities are the spread out across the globe. It's more destructive than witch hunts, as I doubt as many people have ever been burned at the stake for magic as there will be burned for being unpopular.

Metzger is not the guy you probably want to stan for.

You can defend a single statement made by someone without 'standing' for that person. People are actually allowed to be wrong and have their own opinions. If you have to ignore any single opinion a person holds because of others they have held, then no one has a right to speak about anything, ever. I guess we should just shooting prisoners. Once guilty, always guilty. Or in the eyes of the internet, guilty first, period.

The_Kid

I mean, internet mobs in and of itself are kind of horrible. They latch onto a single statement sometimes and go after the person until they're buried in the ground, apologies aren't enough, they want blood. And then you get cases like this where anyone associated with the person is also hunted down unless they distance themselves with a ten foot pole.

Wasn't there an article in New York Times awhile back about these internet mobs being less about actually wanting justice and just as much about making the people going after others feel better about themselves?

mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

That one. I don't know, especially going after Amy for this, why?

Dryk

"Although no charges had been filed and UCB hadn’t released a statement, word quickly spread through the tight-knit comedy community via social media, text messages, and private Facebook groups."

It's quoted in his post. Did you even read it?
Yeah I read it. It gives two major events:

a) A person posts to some private Facebook groups advising people that may come into contact with this guy to watch their backs
b) One of the people making the reports tips off the news

Trying to keep your community safe is not a witch-hunt. A single person going to the press is not a witch-hunt.

Breads

Banned
GG/MRAs and progressive witch hunters are the same people.

They are all playing/ concern trolling both sides.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
What is with the online crusade to get everybody who says a shitty thing fired? It's fucking reprehensible.
Well especially a comedian. Like come on it's his job to say inflammatory shit. And it's not like he was condoning rape. He was bitching about social media coming to a verdict without a single cop being called.

Fat4all

Banned
Well especially a comedian. Like come on it's his job to say inflammatory shit. And it's not like he was condoning rape. He was bitching about social media coming to a verdict without a single cop being called.

man, even Danial Tosh didn't go as far as Metzger when it comes to this.

it's pretty fucked

The point of having a judicial system is so to protect our right to remain innocent regardless of what anyone has to say about us. It's embarrassing because it's public record and doesn't always work. It's still better to rely on that than allow people who are innocent(READ: This guy is still actually innocent because there is no lawful evidence of his guilt. Rumors are not evidence) to be destroyed by their communities.

"Innocent until proven guilty" applies to the legal system, not public opinion. No one is required to wait for a legal verdict before they're allowed to form an opinion or, in fact, act on said opinion.

Unless, y'know, we're just going to assume that Bill Cosby is totes innocent, you guys, and OJ Simpson really did spend years searching for the "real killer".

Yes, this can sometimes lead to bad outcomes, but not with nearly the frequency that the hysteria over false rape accusations would have you believe.

dh4niel

It's a shame no one is tackling the real issue here: She's not funny.

I don't say that as the typical "Women aren't funny" BS. As Amy Poehler and Chelsea Peretti are funny. Amy just sucks, imo.

Kinyou

"Innocent until proven guilty" applies to the legal system, not public opinion. No one is required to wait for a legal verdict before they're allowed to form an opinion or, in fact, act on said opinion.

Unless, y'know, we're just going to assume that Bill Cosby is totes innocent, you guys, and OJ Simpson really did spend years searching for the "real killer".

Yes, this can sometimes lead to bad outcomes, but not with nearly the frequency that the hysteria over false rape accusations would have you believe.
It's from the legal system, but isn't it also just a sensible view to hold? Basically don't judge things too fast. Maybe once you have as many facts about it like we have about OJ, Cosby or George Zimmermann.

Oersted

Search for the term "Innocent until proven guilty" and the first result is a discussion about the abuse of women and Kinyou is advocating the wrong use of the wrong term.

You have to be guilty in the first place to be found guilty.
Till you are found guilty you are presumed innocent, not factually innocent.

Giving that it is almost exclusively something brought up by guys in rape/sexual abuse discussions sort of tells you enough.

Catvoca

Banned

I don't say that as the typical "Women aren't funny" BS. As Amy Poehler and Chelsea Peretti are funny. Amy just sucks, imo.

You should tweet this to her and let her know what the "real issue" is
/s

Not

Banned
So essentially they cancel each other out and she's awesome again?

Uh, she wrote Trainwreck, which was the funniest movie I saw last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom