• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Ode to Andrei Tarkovsky-One of the Greatest Directors to Ever Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatDude

Banned
Andrei Tarkovsky

Andrei Arsenyevich Tarkovsky (Russian: Андре́й Арсе́ньевич Тарко́вский; April 4, 1932 – December 29, 1986) was a Soviet and Russian filmmaker, writer, film editor, film theorist, theatre and opera director.
Tarkovsky's films include Andrei Rublev, Solaris, The Mirror, and Stalker. He directed the first five of his seven feature films in the Soviet Union; his last two films were produced in Italy and Sweden, respectively. They are characterized by spirituality and metaphysical themes, long takes, lack of conventional dramatic structure, and distinctively authored use of cinematography.

Film director Ingmar Bergman said of Tarkovsky:

Tarkovsky for me is the greatest [director], the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream.

Andrei-Tarkovsky3.jpg

"The director's task is to recreate life, its movement, its contradictions, its dynamic and conflicts. It is his duty to reveal every iota of the truth he has seen, even if not everyone finds that truth acceptable. Of course an artist can lose his way, but even his mistakes are interesting provided they are sincere. For they represent the reality of his inner life, of the peregrinations and struggle into which the external world has thrown him."-Andrei Tarkovsky

Tarkovsky Films:

"Ivan's Childhood"

1%20ivans%20childhood%20PDVD_000.jpg

The film tells the story of orphan boy Ivan and his experiences during World War II. Ivan's Childhood was one of several Soviet films of its period, such as The Cranes Are Flying and Ballad of a Soldier, that looked at the human cost of war and did not glorify the war experience as did films produced before the Khrushchev Thaw.[2]
Ivan's Childhood was Tarkovsky's first feature film. It won him critical acclaim and made him internationally known. It won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival in 1962 and the Golden Gate Award at the San Francisco International Film Festival in 1962. The film was also selected as the Soviet entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 36th Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee.[3] Famous filmmakers such as Ingmar Bergman, Sergei Parajanov and Krzysztof Kieślowski praised the film and cited it as an influence on their work.[4]

"Andrei Rublev"

rublev_uk1.JPG

Andrei Rublev is set against the background of 15th century Russia. Although the film is only loosely based on the life of Andrei Rublev, it seeks to depict a realistic portrait of medieval Russia. Tarkovsky sought to create a film that shows the artist as "a world-historic figure" and "Christianity as an axiom of Russia’s historical identity"[1] during a turbulent period of Russian history that ultimately resulted in the Tsardom of Russia. The film is about the essence of art and the importance of faith and shows an artist who tries to find the appropriate response to the tragedies of his time. The film is also about artistic freedom and the possibility and necessity of making art for, and in the face of, a repressive authority and its hypocrisy, technology and empiricism, by which knowledge is acquired on one's own without reliance on authority, and the role of the individual, community, and government in the making of both spiritual and epic art.

"Solaris"

solaris002.jpeg

Solaris (Russian: «Солярис», tr. Solyaris) is a 1972 science fiction art house film adaptation of the novel Solaris (1961), directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. The film is a meditative psychological drama occurring mostly aboard a space station orbiting the fictional planet Solaris. The scientific mission has stalled, because the scientist crew have fallen into emotional crises. Psychologist Kris Kelvin travels to the Solaris space station to evaluate the situation—yet soon encounters the same mysterious phenomenon as the others.
The Polish science fiction novel by Stanisław Lem is about the ultimate inadequacy of communication between human and non-human species. Tarkovsky's adaptation is a “drama of grief and partial recovery” concentrated upon the thoughts and the consciences of the cosmonaut scientists studying an extra-terrestrial (alien) life. The psychologically complex and slow narrative of Solaris has been contrasted to kinetic Western science fiction films, which typically rely upon fast narrative pace and special effects to communicate character psychology and an imagined future.

"The Mirror"

tarkovsky_mirror.jpg

The Mirror (Russian: Зеркало, Zerkalo; known in the UK as Mirror[2]) is a 1975 Russian art film directed by Andrei Tarkovsky (1932–1986). It is loosely autobiographical, unconventionally structured, and incorporates poems composed and read by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky. The film features Margarita Terekhova, Ignat Daniltsev, Alla Demidova, Anatoli Solonitsyn, Tarkovsky's wife Larisa Tarkovskaya and his mother Maria Vishnyakova, with a soundtrack by Eduard Artemyev.
The Mirror has no apparent plot — instead, it rhythmically combines contemporary scenes with childhood memories, dreams, and newsreel footage. The cinematography slips unpredictably from color to black-and-white and back again. The loose flow of visually oneiric images has been compared to stream of consciousness technique in literature. Its complex, layered structure makes The Mirror one of Tarkovsky's most difficult films, as well as his most personal.
The concept of The Mirror dates as far back as 1964. Over the years Tarkovsky wrote several screenplay variants, at times working with Aleksandr Misharin. Their mutually-developed script initially was not approved by the film committee of Goskino, and it was only after several years of waiting that Tarkovsky would be allowed to realize The Mirror. At various times the script was known under different names, most notably Confession and A White, White Day. The completed film was initially rejected by Goskino, and after some delay was given only limited release in the Soviet Union.
The Mirror has grown in reputation over many years and ranked 9th in Sight and Sound's 2012 directors poll of the best films ever made

"S.T.A.L.K.E.R"

Andrei%20Tarkovsky%20-%20film%20still%20from%20Stalker,%201979_thumb%5B4%5D.jpg

The Stalker (Alexander Kaidanovsky) works as a guide who leads people through "the Zone", an area where the normal laws of physics no longer apply – to encounter "the Room", said to grant the wishes of anyone who steps inside. In his home with his wife and daughter, the Stalker's wife (Alisa Freindlich) begs him not to go into the Zone but he ignores her pleas.
The Stalker meets "the Writer" (Anatoly Solonitsyn) and "the Professor" (Nikolai Grinko), his next clients for a trip into the Zone. The three of them evade a military blockade that guards the Zone, attracting gunfire from the guards as they go, and then ride into the heart of the Zone on a railway work car.
The Stalker tells his clients they must do exactly as he says to survive the dangers that lie ahead, which are invisible. The Stalker tests for 'traps' by throwing metal nuts tied to strips of cloth ahead of them. The Writer is skeptical that there is any real danger, whilst the Professor generally follows the Stalker's advice.

"The Sacrifice"

Andrei-Tarkovsky-The-Sacrifice.jpg

The Sacrifice (Swedish: Offret) is a 1986 film. It was the final film by Russian film director Andrei Tarkovsky, who died shortly after completing it. The film opens on the birthday of Alexander, an aging journalist, theater and literary critic, university lecturer on aesthetics, and former actor. He lives in a beautiful house with an actress wife (Adelaide), a teenage stepdaughter (Marta), and a "mute" young son (who is referred to as "Little Man"). Alexander and Little Man plant a tree, when Alexander's friend Otto, who also works part-time for the post office, delivers a birthday card to him. ("Many happy returns!") In the conversation, Alexander reveals that his relationship with God was "nonexistent". After Otto leaves, Adelaide and Victor--a medical doctor and a close family friend who recently performed a throat operation on "Little Man," which has left the boy unable to speak--arrive at the scene and offer to take Alexander and Little Man home in Victor's car. However, Alexander prefers to stay behind and "chats with" Little Man. In his "monologue", Alexander recounts how he and Adelaide found this beautiful house in the remote area by accident, and they fell in love with the house and surroundings at the first sight.

Awards

Venice Film Festival he was awarded the Golden Lion

Cannes Film Festival he won several times the FIPRESCI prize, the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury and the Grand Prix Spécial du Jury[/]

Nominated for the Palme d'Or 2 times

In 1987, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts awarded the BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Language Film to The Sacrifice.

Tarkovsky was awarded the Lenin Prize in 1990, one of the highest state honors in the Soviet Union

In 1989 the Andrei Tarkovsky Memorial Prize was established, with its first recipient being the Russian animator Yuriy Norshteyn

Since 1993, the Moscow International Film Festival awards the annual Andrei Tarkovsky Award

tarkovsky.jpg

Let everything that's been planned come true. Let them believe. And let them have a laugh at their passions. Because what they call passion actually is not some emotional energy, but just the friction between their souls and the outside world. And most important, let them believe in themselves. Let them be helpless like children, because weakness is a great thing, and strength is nothing. When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win.”
― Andrei Tarkovsky

Thanks for taking the time to read about my favorite Director of all time. Hopefully some of you have been inspired as much as I have by his timeless classics!

[Credit goes to wikipedia, and google images for much of the info/images]

Fari

Managed to sit through Ivan's Childhood and The Mirror.

Fell asleep while attempting to watch his longer films.

I always wanted to see Solaris, as well as Stalker as I'm a fan of the novel and the game.

That being said, I've never really gotten into 'Cold War' Russian cinema. The only other director I'm familiar with it Elem Klimov, who directed 'Come and See.' That movie was life-shattering. It didn't feel like a war movie per say, but rather a horror movie in the likes of the original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre.' That might sound weird, but once you see it you'll understand.

Fari

Best Russian film of the Soviet era is Larisa Shepitko's The Ascent.

It defies conventions in that stuff actually happens.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Love him. Could have told you this thread would fail though, maybe even worse than the one about Berlioz.

Kikujiro

I always wanted to see Solaris, as well as Stalker as I'm a fan of the novel and the game.

That being said, I've never really gotten into 'Cold War' Russian cinema. The only other director I'm familiar with it Elem Klimov, who directed 'Come and See.' That movie was life-shattering. It didn't feel like a war movie per say, but rather a horror movie in the likes of the original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre.' That might sound weird, but once you see it you'll understand.

Come and See is a masterpiece, it really feels like a poetic horror movie, yet it's so realistic it hurts (especially the second part).

Tarkovsky is one of the greatest, I'm sad we will never see the original cut of Stalker. Can't believe he re-shot the entire film.

I think the Tarkovsky of our time is the Hungarian filmmaker Bela Tarr.

Angry Fork

I hated Andrei Rublev, incredibly boring and torturing animals for art is deranged. I liked the first half of Solaris but also found it to be much too slow in the 2nd half and hardly remember what was going on. The sets are nice though.

Haven't seen any of his other films. I thought about seeing Stalker and Ivan's childhood but decided against it as I was afraid of being sucked into another 2-3 hour bore. Once I start a movie I have to finish it, so if I'm 1/4 through it and still not caring about the characters or story I start to get agitated.

Divius

I've only seen a few of his movies, but I've loved them all. I should dive into his filmography some time, although his movies aren't the easiest to watch.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've only seen Solaris, but I liked it.

He definitely is one of the greats. His nonchalant way of speaking belies a wondrous sense of wisdom; for the record, Solaris feels full of enchanting insights on how humans see themselves. I have yet to see any of his other films, though, and movies from the likes of Kalatazov, Konchalovsky, and Lopushansky are also on my watch-list.

Stalker was cool, as was the short story Roadside Picnic it was adapted/inspired from.

I've never seen any of his other movies. I liked the Solaris remake so maybe I'll check that out.

Thread reminds me I have to watch Solaris.

Yes, you do. It's easily the most accessible of his films and offers the most discernible plot and theme, compared to his more abstract work.

I really don't understand why Stanislaw Lem didn't like the adaptation, though I read it was mostly because he wanted it to be doggedly faithful to the novel. It's still very much in line with his thoughts on the inadequacy of human communication/our place in the universe, but Tarkovsky made it into his own.

Same with Stalker. He basically boiled down the book to one of its primary themes: that of hope/faith vs reason/logic.

Damn, now I need to watch some Tarkovsky. The Sacrifice was just added to Netflix Instant, btw.

Gustav

Banned
One of my favorites. His eye for texture was incredible. Love how he used slow sweeps and pans to make the the smallest details dance.

Serkalo is probably his best work.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fun trivia fact: Tarkovsky liked this movie

220px-Terminator1984movieposter.jpg

80s/early 90s James Cameron was actually good at his craft.

Anyways, didn't much care for Zerkalo, but Stalker is one of my favorites and I could enjoy Solaris and Nostalghia.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I've sadly only seen STALKER and The Mirror out of his filmography. Really got to get around to seeing Solaris and Andrei Rublev one of these days.

lednerg

Mosfilm has released some (all?) of Andrei Tarkovsky's films on YouTube for free, such as:

The Mirror

Solaris (part 1) (part 2)

Ivan's Childhood

Andrei Rublev (part 1) (part 2)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (part 1) (part 2)

The Mosfilm YouTube channel is a treasure trove of Russian cinema, all free.

EDIT: I've only watched The Mirror and Solaris so far, but The Mirror is one of the best films I have ever seen. You may want to read a little about it beforehand to learn about what his intentions were with the film, as it doesn't follow a conventional, narrative flow. Or don't, and just go along for the ride.

Porcile

He's always struck me as quite underrated in terms of when people try to bring together some sort of pantheon of great directors. I suppose people jump to other Soviet directors first.

Mosfilm has released some (all?) of Andrei Tarkovsky's films on YouTube for free, such as:

The Mirror

Solaris (part 1) (part 2)

Ivan's Childhood

Andrei Rublev (part 1) (part 2)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (part 1) (part 2)

The Mosfilm YouTube channel is a treasure trove of Russian cinema, all free.

EDIT: I've only watched The Mirror and Solaris so far, but The Mirror is one of the best films I have ever seen. You may want to read a little about it beforehand to learn about what his intentions were with the film, as it doesn't follow a conventional, narrative flow. Or don't, and just go along for the ride.

This is awesome, thank you! I have yet to see a single film by Tarkovsky, but I plan on remedying that soon.

SamVimes

I've only seen Stalker and Solaris, i liked Stalker the most, but i loved them both.

What should i see next? I was thinking Nostalghia.

LayLa

only seen Stalker and Solaris, loved them both but suspect the vast majority of people would find them too slow
there was a bit in Stalker where they are walking through the Zone that really did my head in, i can't (or won't let myself) even remember exactly what happens - something simple like a character walking off the right and coming in the left, but filmed in such a way that my brain just freaked out - truly disturbing and i've avoided rewatching the film ever since.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wow, had no idea S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a film. I guess the game devs were fans?

The game is more similar to the book (Roadside Picnic) although all three versions are unrelated.

Many people boil down the film to "brooding Russians walking around a forest babbling nonsense" but if you're in the right mood it's an absolutely beautiful film. Mood is very important for any Tarkovsky; if you don't go in with the right expectations his movies can be excruciating to watch.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Love the director solely for Stalker. Have his other films just need to get around to watch them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom