• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient Britain

calistan

If you need an expert on fish and chips, find a northerner.

I wouldn’t trust a northerner’s opinion on anything food related. They can’t even agree on what to call a bread roll (barm, batch, cob, breadcake, etc).

The further north you go, the more the local delicacies become offal disguised with gravy.

Also, it was a southerner who reinvented chips.

Of all the thumbnails he went with this:

gGy6IeG.jpeg

Then again, this encapsulates the essence of Britain perfectly.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I really like this video, shows why our names and language is all over the place. For example being from the Northeast many of our slang is Nordic in nature, when I say "I'm going home" I say "gannim yem".

Due to the melting pot of invading nations in our history it's very natural for us but people get confused abroad. Many mistake me for Scottish, which while our close neighbours have a gealic slang, but also shares a similar harsh edge. Sounds night and day to us, but confuses the non locals.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Ancient Britain is shit but atleast modern britian has true legends like Tony Tucker, Pat Tate and Raoul Moat.
I hold a deep love for the Rettendon Murders, Tony Tucker, Pat Tate and all of it.

Carlton Leach is also one of the great philosphers of our time and up there with Artistotle and Socrates.

His sophisticated speech in this videos offers some serious life advice about your time thing and being caught in the unawares, should you find yourself in such situations.

8ed61499c0257ae8c35123dc00d30729.jpg

Last edited:

The Stig

That’s most likely ‘spoons fish and chips.

I legit love fish and chips. You need to find the right one Pete’s fish factory in Kent is legit great.

Also don’t knock Gregg’s
wait. im moving back to the UK (Romney Marsh, Kent) soon. is it really that good?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
wait. im moving back to the UK (Romney Marsh, Kent) soon. is it really that good?

This was a few years ago but for the price etc and quality yes it was good.

Haven’t been in years. But I really like it, if I get a chance to go there I will.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I have to say from all the nations I done business with UK is my least favorite. Full of posh twats

Says the man who eats at michelin star restaurants and gets upset when the establishment doesn't have anyone playing the Steinway piano.

Cyberpunkd

Chavs? That's a British term. Are you a Brit in disguise, or a secret anglophile?
Arnold Schwarzenegger Reaction GIF

Actually English culture is pretty kickass (a natural consequence , given it was the Normands from Normandie that conquered Britain in 1066)

Country is really pretty, weather is shit

Love Scottish highlands

British lasses are ugly AF

7/10, would invade again.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Actually English culture is pretty kickass (a natural consequence , given it was the Normands from Normandie that conquered Britain in 1066)

Love Scottish highlands

7/10, would invade again.

Ah, you mean the viking (Germanic) raiders who invaded France and were given Normandy by Charles III. Those Germanic Normans who then invaded and conquered England, another nation made up of Germanic peoples.

Can't do shit about the weather. I agree, it's not great. Hot days are too few and far in between. Most of the time it's grey.

I'll give you that beautiful women in the UK are rare. Why do you think I married a Polish woman? Polish women are far superior to our British stock.

Cyberpunkd

MrA

When france is burning in civil war from his countries pathetic tourism driven economy, and he has crossed the channel in a raft made of wine bottles glued together with cheese, arriving at the white cliffs of dover, he'll look up and beg you to save him like him like the British have saved france so many times in the past
Remind him of Dunkirk and the French running back home after their rescue
Remind him that the French resistance were a cigarette stealing clown show
Remind him that their colonial empire left a mess for others to clean up
And when he still acts snooty, just look down and whisper "no" then walk away

Cyberpunkd

like the British have saved france so many times in the past
Remind him of Dunkirk and the French running back home after their rescue
Remind him that the French resistance were a cigarette stealing clown show
About that:
According to British historian Niall Ferguson, out of all recorded conflicts which occurred since the year 387 BC, France has fought in 168 of them, won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10; this makes France the most successful military power in European history in terms of number of fought and won
Sorry Matt Leblanc GIF

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Love Scottish highlands

7/10, would invade again

You obviously never bought these back in the day...

mrAGN7g.jpeg

Many a lovely British lassie in them, I used to buy Loaded and FHM back pre internet days and had a stack of them in my drawers in work, one evening I left work got to the car and remembered I needed to bring something home so headed back into our HO, walked down the main empty office and there was our MD (owner) at my desk reading one of my mags, he seen me coming down, got all flustered, mumbled something about checking the computers where all off and left lol

Wildebeest

I wonder what Britain and the British people would be like today if the Scandinavians hadn't set their foot there.
If you include Danes and Normans in that, then obviously there would be no English language. There would be fewer castles. Maybe Britain would have stayed more culturally aligned with Rome and would have stayed Catholic in the reformation. If you are including Ireland in that deal, then Ireland would probably have a lot happier history.

Tams

You obviously never bought these back in the day...

mrAGN7g.jpeg

Many a lovely British lassie in them, I used to buy Loaded and FHM back pre internet days and had a stack of them in my drawers in work, one evening I left work got to the car and remembered I needed to bring something home so headed back into our HO, walked down the main empty office and there was our MD (owner) at my desk reading one of my mags, he seen me coming down, got all flustered, mumbled something about checking the computers where all off and left lol

Love a British slaaaag.

Had a couple hitting on me at the chippy the other day. One had her tits pretty much bouncing out. And that was in a picturesque English village.

FunkMiller

About that:

Sorry Matt Leblanc GIF

Oh good lord, Niall Ferguson is not the man you want to be quoting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_Ferguson

The book generated much controversy, particularly Ferguson's suggestion that it might have proved more beneficial for Europe if Britain had stayed out of the First World War in 1914, thereby allowing Germany to win.[89]

Anyway, you French have got enough problems with the far-right these days anyway, judging from what's happening this weekend.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I drove from the far north end of Wales and through Snowdonia today and it was absolutely beautiful.

Still feels like a magical and ancient land in those parts, unlike let's say London. :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Just finished watching this on BBC,

The excellent professor Alice whose just brilliant in everything tbf tells the incredible story of Stone Henge, how it was originally in Wales and then moved over a 100miles to Salisbury, crazy to think they moved those massive stones all that time ago

calistan

The excellent professor Alice whose just brilliant in everything tbf tells the incredible story of Stone Henge, how it was originally in Wales and then moved over a 100miles to Salisbury, crazy to think they moved those massive stones all that time ago
This is the beginning of a campaign to get the stones repatriated to Wales. Like the Greeks with their marbles.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Even after thousands of years of progress, we still haven't figured out a solution for contractors building their shit in the wrong permitting zone.

This is the beginning of a campaign to get the stones repatriated to Wales. Like the Greeks with their marbles.
Good - the Welsh can take their shit stones back any time. All they do is take up valuable space where there could be a new Gregs and Weatherspoons built for the local grunts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom