• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient Britain

dsp

Good - the Welsh can take their shit stones back any time. All they do is take up valuable space where there could be a new Gregs and Weatherspoons built for the local grunts.

B1lyf.jpeg

Aye, Shwmae, we'll take the stone trinkets

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
New evidence has come to light that the central altar stone in Stonehenge has now been discovered to come from the far north of Scotland!!

6kmTpdh.jpeg

That's absolutely mind-blowing that neolithic people's dragged a 7ton stone all the way from the tip of Scotland to the south of England, how in the hell did they do that 5000yrs ago.

The drive would do my head in, let alone hauling some ruddy great big rock all that distance through a landscape completely different to what we have now, the entire journey would've been ancient forests, it's crazy to think what us humans especially our ancient ancestors where capable off

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They must have figured out a way to carry it on boats. it makes no sense otherwise.

more and more im starting to believe in aliens or a lost civilization/technology.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
New evidence has come to light that the central altar stone in Stonehenge has now been discovered to come from the far north of Scotland!!

That's absolutely mind-blowing that neolithic people's dragged a 7ton stone all the way from the tip of Scotland to the south of England, how in the hell did they do that 5000yrs ago.

The drive would do my head in, let alone hauling some ruddy great big rock all that distance through a landscape completely different to what we have now, the entire journey would've been ancient forests, it's crazy to think what us humans especially our ancient ancestors where capable off

So THAT's what happened to Bob the Troll....

0AisEZu.jpeg

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

6kmTpdh.jpeg

Is such a thing possible?

William Shatner Television GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

According to ancient alien technology experts…

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I heard vilings stole all the hot chicks, that's why Scandinavian girls are so smoking hot while English gals ...

Trogdor1123

6kmTpdh.jpeg

For me, the biggest question isn’t how, but why? What would make them think that using a stone from that far away was a good choice, let alone necessary.

This and many other threads here on Gaf just make me want to get out and travel morr and more. I'd love to get to know the world. It's so sad that everything requires money. Which I don't have.

winjer

Gold Member
It is, but why that rock? I want to know what about that specific rock made them want/need to do it. It’s very interesting.

Some guy had an hallucination 5000 years ago and decided that rock was holy or something.
Religion is powerful but it's also very irrational.

One rule of thumb in archaeology, is that if something can't be explained by logical reasoning, it's religion.

Wildebeest

One idea is that stones like that are trophies captured in tribal raids. But personally for me everything over 1500 years old that people find in dirt is a "burial goods".

For me, the biggest question isn’t how, but why? What would make them think that using a stone from that far away was a good choice, let alone necessary.

Bell beaker peoples at this point were closely linked in trade and culture all across Europe. The copper trade was everything at this point, so the means was already there.

Items like stones and masonry have always been valued. the Popes and Italians for instance plundered ancient Rome of its masonry to decorate their Palazzo and churches. And the Romans themselves were obsessed with Egyptian Porphyry and shipped it over at unbelievable expense. Edward I famously took the Stone of Scone from Scotland and built the throne of England over it. Stones seem to have semi mystical properties to us and our ancestors, look at the Elgin marbles for example and the ferocity of debate and emotion that awakens.

That stone could very well have been a gift from one leader to another. Or purely as a power play to their neighbours on the logistical skill and wealth of transporting it from one end of the British Isles to another. It could also well be a religious, unifying gesture for the Island. We'll never know, but it's an absolutely fantastic discovery.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
One thing it does prove is that 5000 odd years ago the people's throughout the UK where all connected somehow from the tips of Scotland right down to the south of England and to think that somehow these people's thought it was a great idea to take a ruddy great big stone and traverse the entire island with it meant there was some enormous significance to it and it's all lost to time

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
It is, but why that rock? I want to know what about that specific rock made them want/need to do it. It’s very interesting.
Because there's a hymn called rock of ages or some shit and then Def Leppard thought it's a cool title for a song and made a cool rock anthem and the guy who carried the stone that far was a Def Leppard fan

Trilobit

It's a land of Warriors, Even these days

I saw some kids outside the local shop eating icecream and I got a bit jealous as the ratio of body/icecream is much bigger for them than for me. As a grownup I should get two icecreams for the price of one.

Toots

Gold Member
If the druids tells you to do something you don't question its pertinence !
spinal tap GIF by Comic-Con HQ

Amazing how you just take the piss out of us and we laugh it off or agree...some other countries however...
Very true! I think it's the mix of self-deprecating humour with the underlying belief that we are better than everyone else in the world.

We see foreigners taking this piss out of us is like a hamster trying to critique Einstein.

Also, as a British person our compatriots will mercilessly ridicule and attack us with endless banter, tearing apart our every achievement and shitting on all our dreams. Foreign banter is therefore shrugged off easily. We spar harder than they fight. :D

Top Bottom